TRnCO 18-Mar-21
Missouribreaks 18-Mar-21
Kevin Dill 18-Mar-21
Paul@thefort 18-Mar-21
Pete In Fairbanks 18-Mar-21
joehunter 18-Mar-21
Live2Hunt 18-Mar-21
17-Mar-21
HSUS to end all trapping continues here in Colorado today before the CPW Commission.

Attached is their petition to end all trapping on public lands here in Colorado. Many of us have sent objections to the Commission to reject this petition. Will be interesting how this plays out today.

November 18, 2020 Daniel Prenzlow, Director, CPW Marvin McDaniel, Chair CPW Commission Colorado Parks & Wildlife 1313 Sherman St., Denver, CO 80203 % [email protected] Re: Petition to stop trapping on Colorado’s public lands Dear Director Prenzlow, Chair McDaniel and Members of the CPW Commission: The Humane Society of the United States, Humane Society Veterinary Medical Association, Animal Help Now, Animal Legal Defense Fund, Center for Biological Diversity, Colorado Voters for Animals, Endangered Species Coalition, Footloose Montana, Mountain Lion Foundation, Predator Defense, Project Coyote, Nevada Wildlife Alliance, Northeast Oregon Ecosystems, Sierra Club, Trap Free Montana, Trap Free Montana Public Lands, Western Watersheds Project, Western Wildlife Conservancy, WildEarth Guardians and Wyoming Untrapped request that the Colorado Parks and Wildlife Commission disallow the trapping of wildlife for recreation and commerce for the reasons that we elaborate on more fully in our citizen’s petition to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife (CPW) Commission that is filed herewith. We also file all the journal articles we have cited in the petition into the administrative record, which we have uploaded and made available to the CPW Commission as part of this rulemaking. The North American Model of Wildlife Conservation advises against the market hunting of wildlife for private profit; yet CPW allows trappers to kill wildlife and sell their pelts, a form of market hunting. In other words, we can find no distinction between disallowing the sale of an animal who was stalked, chased and then shot, but not disallowing the sale of one who was trapped and then killed. To make a distinction is cognitive dissonance. Both fur sales and trapping recruitment are in precipitous decline. Trapping is cruel, and most Americans abhor this practice. Studies and polls show that the number of Coloradans who disapprove of trapping has increased in recent years. Data from Manfredo et al.’s (2018) America’s Wildlife Values project show that in Colorado, the majority – 84% – want to view wildlife in the future and want wildlife protected over private property rights. A 2019 survey of Americans by the National Shooting Sports Foundation and Responsive Wildlife Management found that trapping is highly unpopular and is far more controversial than even trophy hunting. And even most wildlife management professionals dislike trapping because of its indiscriminate nature and the cruelty involved.

17-Mar-21
If hunters (of all types) don't get involved to stop this movement and it is successful, hunting will be next.

17-Mar-21
Will this include mice, ants and cockroaches too? So we should just poison them now. SOOO much more "environmentally friendly" and never get's into the food chain. Riiiight......

17-Mar-21
I thought trapping was already pretty much outlawed in CO for quite some time now? About the only thing still legal is live trapping?

17-Mar-21
nothing to worry about. if hunters and trappers would just stop posting unsightly pictures on social media, groups like HSUS would like us and leave us alone.

17-Mar-21
“ The North American Model of Wildlife Conservation advises against the market hunting of wildlife for private profit; yet CPW allows trappers to kill wildlife and sell their pelts, a form of market hunting. In other words, we can find no distinction between disallowing the sale of an animal who was stalked, chased and then shot, but not disallowing the sale of one who was trapped and then killed. To make a distinction is cognitive dissonance. Both fur sales and trapping recruitment are in precipitous decline. Trapping is cruel, and most Americans abhor this practice.”

So let’s pick this apart for a minute…

The Model “advises against”. OK; it’s a MODEL, not a law or set of laws. And “advises against” is a clear indication that under some circumstances, a given practice which is generally to be avoided can be entirely appropriate. The exception always proves the rule. So that is a great big Nothing Sandwich.

“ we can find no distinction between disallowing the sale of an animal who was stalked, chased and then shot, but not disallowing the sale of one who was trapped and then killed.”

OK, first , an animal is not a Who, it’s a Which, but that’s beside the point.

Then they are suggesting that the manner of death is material to the conversation, which it is not, because it is entirely lawful to sell a “shot” coyote just the same as a “trapped” one.

The distinction is that we manage ALL wildlife, and sale of consumable wildlife products (meat, primarily) is prohibited, where sale of wildlife products to be converted into durable goods (leather & fur) is permitted, at least in some cases.

“ Both fur sales and trapping recruitment are in precipitous decline. ”

So the primary rationale for banning market hunting - depletion of the resource - is already off the table; we wiped out the Bison and the Passenger Pigeon with an insatiable appetite for meat; the fur market is self-regulating within the availability of the resource.

The argument that the fur market and trapping recruitment are in decline just proves that there is no compelling reason to take a viable wildlife management tool off of the table.

17-Mar-21
"84% – want to view wildlife in the future"

Yeah, we'll see how that works for you, after a decade or so, of letting predators run amuck !

In the words of the Wicked Witch... "I'll get you, my Pretty...and your little dog, too" !!!

17-Mar-21
So after almost 200 years of trapping there are still enough animals to trap proves there is and always be plenty of animals to see especially the prey.

17-Mar-21
The democratic agenda is moving forward. Democratic voting hunters are supporting this.

17-Mar-21
^^^^^^^^This.

17-Mar-21
+1 ^^^^^

17-Mar-21
Midwest, you are correct, the only trapping in Colorado allowed is the use of live box traps. the HSUS, today wants to eliminate that also. I do believe the Commission will deny the petition, but then.....................................................

17-Mar-21
Not to mention a lot of fur that trappers target are a nuisance animal. They are going to be removed one way or another when they cause problems. May as well us them.

17-Mar-21
There have been many warning of the ultimate end game of ending hunting. In other words “the ends justify the means”. Only to be scoffed at by liberals and Democrats pretending to be hunters while continually giving up pieces of our freedom everytime they vote. ......

17-Mar-21
Geez, Ricky, you're back and missing the point again. Must have some cognitive difficulties. Ok, here you go in plain English: THIS IS NOT ABOUT HSUS "LIKING US". THEY WILL NEVER LIKE US. WHEN NONHUNTING VOTERS VOTED TO BAN LEGHOLD TRAPS AND SNARES, HSUS USED OUR OWN PHOTOS AND VIDEOS AGAINST US IN THE MEDIA CAMPAIGN. UNDERSTAND THAT? NONHUNTING VOTERS AND EVEN SOME HUNTERS VOTED FOR THE BAN AFTER SEEING THE VIDEOS AND STILLS, AND THE BAN WON IN A LANDSLIDE.

17-Mar-21
A WIN FOR COLORADO TRAPPERS (and hunters). The CPW commission voted unanimously to deny HSUS Petition to ban live- box trapping on public lands, at todays Commission meeting. I am sure HSUS goal is to ban all trapping wherever it is practiced, public and private lands. As Lou stated above, we lost "trapping" 1997, but the Commission reinstated the use of live box traps as had in the past been approved, but still can be in use today.

17-Mar-21
"Geez, Ricky, you're back and missing the point again. Must have some cognitive difficulties."

i know you might not be accustomed to hearing this but I absolutely understand your point, I just don't happen to agree with it...even when you put it in all caps.

17-Mar-21
It's good that you know more than professionals across the country who study the dynamics of public opinion toward hunting through surveys, polls, and focus groups. You should start advising them, given all your deep experience in these matters.

Ok, I'll stop now. As someone said in a PM about the other thread, "You're talking to the wrong end of that mule".

18-Mar-21
whether you realize it or not, your condescending dismissive and critical attitude toward other hunters is way more corrosive than anything the antis can conjure up to use against us. every time people like you engage in your ethics shaming and virtue signaling, those groups privately celebrate the fact that you are doing their dirty work for them. divide and conquer has been an effective battle strategy since ancient times.

before you get too drunk on your own wine, you should know that youre not the only one that gets pms. maybe you should stop preaching and start listening.

"These guys simply don't get that nothing a hunter posts will be tasteful enough to the anti's and that it WILL get worse."

"Exactly, This appeasement attitude will not work."

"I admire your tenacity, but many on BS just want to ague for the sake of hearing their own head rattle."

"Lots of holier than thou mentalities. I get sick of it too. I try, but struggle with BS and Archery Talk due to that very reason. I'm member of several habitat forums (populated by almost 100% hunters) and that type of nonsense doesn't exist there."

"...typical BS elitists"

"...useful idiots...you got that right."

"Ricky, Love it!"

18-Mar-21
Nobody was condescending, just educated and informed.

18-Mar-21
"Nobody was condescending, just educated and informed."

gimme a break...you already told us what think about the hunters that dont agree with you...

"Yes, there are a few real losers here, mostly uneducated. I expect from the posts on this thread, they are the minority of hunters. At least I hope so."

18-Mar-21
"nothing to worry about. if hunters and trappers would just stop posting unsightly pictures on social media, groups like HSUS would like us and leave us alone."

Do you truly believe this? Do you really believe that in some world of utopia where all pictures of killed and or trapped animals were removed from public view, HSUS would have a change of heart towards all hunters and trappers?

18-Mar-21
"Do you truly believe this? Do you really believe that in some world of utopia where all pictures of killed and or trapped animals were removed from public view, HSUS would have a change of heart towards all hunters and trappers?"

absolutely not. that was total sarcasm. the belief that anything we do or don't do is going to change their minds is ridiculous. the only thing hunters can do to stop groups like them from coming after us is to stop hunting...period. to them, there is NO good hunting...there is NO ethical hunting...and NO acceptable hunting. the sooner hunters realize that...and stop throwing other legal and ethical hunters under the bus...the better off we will be.

18-Mar-21
HSUS will not have a change of heart, the goal is to not have the general public turn against hunting and trapping and join HSUS.

18-Mar-21
Thank you Paul.

18-Mar-21
I knew from the beginning, that Ricky's statement, he was just being sarcastic. I was right. Paul

18-Mar-21
The fact remains...... hunters who vote for Democrats are sealing their own fate.

The problem is that they are sealing ours too.

Pete

18-Mar-21
Pete for the win!

18-Mar-21
Enough said Pete. I do not for the life of me understand WTF these people think that hunt/fish/trap and vote Dem? Do they really still think the Democratic party is the same as it was pre 1970? WAKE UP PEOPLE!!!!

• Sitka Gear