Rsquared 19-Mar-21
Brotsky 19-Mar-21
Jaquomo 20-Mar-21
orionsbrother 20-Mar-21
BigSkyHntr 20-Mar-21
Will 20-Mar-21
orionsbrother 20-Mar-21
18-Mar-21
I traded some PMs with Pat about a non-hunting thread that I had posted that got deleted. I was not upset that it was removed. Like I said, it was not hunting related and it lasted long enough that I made a connection that helped my family and I out of a difficult situation. Pat said that it would be fine to post a follow up.

I’ve enjoyed Bowsite for its Hunt Recaps, information and humor.

My family, my kids in particular, have also benefited from my visiting the site.

I don’t want to embarrass anyone or put them on the spot, so I won’t name names without their permission. I’ve personally expressed my gratitude, but wanted to let others know what kind of guys post on this site.

One member, who’s son knaps stone arrowheads sent one to my kids who were starting their archery journey. It is still a prized possession on display.

Another has gone out of his way to send my kids some cool bracelets and connected us to some friends of his who sent out some actual stone Indian arrowhead, some pottery shards and some incredible necklaces made from pottery shards. My kids refer to him as an “Uncle”.

Another sent a beautiful pair of binoculars that had been his wife’s to my kids.

I never win anything, but I won a Worksharp Tool from an impromptu raffle created by a Bowsiter.

I have had multiple offers to bring my family out to visit, fish and hunt. I hope to be able to do that sooner rather than later.

Just last week, I was on my way up North to my buddy’s place in Northwestern WI. We were in his truck, on our way. Another friend was with us. They had been ice fishing three weeks earlier and in the -42* cold on the day of their departure, his car would not cooperate. The car was left up North and we were going to retrieve it, deliver some racks to one of my wife’s relatives and tend to some other projects.

During the drive, I became aware of a deteriorating family situation. My father’s widow had multiple family photo albums, the last remaining large photo of my father’s family farm and some personal effects that had to be retrieved “immediately” before they were “jettisoned”.

My sister tried to find a shipping company, but it was worse than exorbitant and required too much lead time.

I had multiple phone conversations with my sisters, wife and children. It was very difficult listening to their shock, pain and frustration, finding out that my mother’s rings had been sold. None of them would have the sentimental connection of that modest jewelry and all of the family photo albums were at risk of loss too.

I was 420 miles Northwest of Chicago and the problem was in PA.

Out of desperation, I posted a couple of threads on Bowsite, in the PA State Forum and the Big Game Forum, looking for someone local that might be able to help.

I made a point to let people know that I was not looking for anything for free, that I would compensate them for their time and though this was an odd situation, it was not a scam.

I figured that it was a real long shot.

I had something like six Bowsiters offer their help. None wanted to be compensated for their time. Not even the Bowsiter who offered to drive an hour and a half each way to get it done.

One Bowsiter ended up living only a few miles away. He scooped everything up, packed it better than a professional and shipped it from work in less than twenty four hours.

I was on the phone with him, the pain in the voices of my wife, children and sisters echoing in my head and I had a hard time speaking. I was choking up. Here was a tenuous connection, a relative stranger who was going out of his way, displaying much greater kindness and decency to me and my family than my own “family”.

Wow!

He received the check for the shipping costs today and a token of my appreciation arrived on Monday.

As with the other Bowsiters mentioned earlier, I’ve tried to make sure that nothing is one-sided...

But I am acutely aware that The scales are not balanced. My family and I have benefited more from the generosity, information, hunt recaps, pictures and entertainment than I’ve given.

Thank you. Thank you all.

I love you guys in a purely Platonic, heterosexual, non-contact kind of way.

I’m absolutely sincere about what you guys have done for my family and I. I’m kind of emotionally stunted though. So, I’m going to put a dip in, grab a beer and might have to make some smart azz posts for a while.

18-Mar-21
Good stuff. Im glad u were able to salvage some of the memories. Good on the bowsiters that offered help and may a big buck stop broadside at 20 this fall...

18-Mar-21
Good people get great things outta other people. Because other people see it in them.

I’ve been offered so many things. Given so many things I can’t count. By bowsite’ers. There is no place like it and most of its people.

19-Mar-21
Good to know. Thanks for sharing the story :)

19-Mar-21
In today's changing and difficult times, it is encouraging to see the humanity offered to others, to you and to your family. God bless us all. My very best, Paul

19-Mar-21
Definitely a lot of great people on this site, Rick. Glad that you and your family got things taken care of!

19-Mar-21
That's heartwarming.

I've made a lot of friends on this website and continue to.

There are thousands of great people on Bowsite and two douchebags :) (Kidding)

orionsbro, you're one of the good guys on here and I hope all is well with you and yours. Glad to hear things worked out.

19-Mar-21
Glad someone was there to help you in your time of need. Solid! Way to go Bowsite!

19-Mar-21

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo

19-Mar-21
Very glad to hear that your family was helped out by the Bowsite family! Great season's to all involved!

19-Mar-21
In a very harsh world, the best and most reaffirming gift we can receive is the kindness of strangers. Great story. Now to pay it forward.

19-Mar-21
Good for you and your family.

Prolly the best enjoyment I get from the bowsite is helping and sharing with others over the many years.

Good luck, Robb

19-Mar-21
The best of the best right here!

19-Mar-21
I'd always rather lift someone up rather than push them down.

Very nice post Rick and thanks for sharing it with us. There are still a lot of good folks in this world.

19-Mar-21
Ha! I forgot about that Nick.

That’s a pic of a book that I sent to Nick quite a while back. It’s one of my favorites in the original language.

Why some translated French Philosophy?

Forget Cliff’s Notes. I’ll give you “Rick’s Notes” and be uncharacteristically concise and paraphrase the theme or moral for a hunting crowd.

>>You can put whatever you wish into your backpack. You just have to be willing to carry it... Every choice has a price. Choose wisely.<<

19-Mar-21
Amen!

19-Mar-21
Great post! It’s been a great communication tool! Thanks Bowsite people!

19-Mar-21
Be kind....be humble....Pay it forward

19-Mar-21
Nice! Good to read something like this today. It's easy to focus on the negative, which I've been doing a lot of lately. Thanks for sharing this story.

19-Mar-21
Good job Bowsite!

19-Mar-21
Very Nice and well done! Shawn

19-Mar-21

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Great post. Coincidentally, yesterday I came upon a hand made Christmas card your daughters made and sent me years ago when I was sick over the holidays. They advised me to eat pancakes and waffles to make me feel better. And you know what? It worked!

19-Mar-21
Great follow up I'm glad all worked out and kudos to the men of Bowsite who were willing to step up!

19-Mar-21
Agreed Scoot, in a ever so negative society as of late, it is wonderful to read orions story, i can relate , i had a similar experience with a different outcome. Im happy for you and your family...

19-Mar-21
Awesome that it worked out for you. Good guys on this site.

19-Mar-21
Glad to see it worked out for you. Good people are still around, just have to know where to look:)

19-Mar-21
I've met some very good friends here over the years-there's some awesome dudes and ladies here!

19-Mar-21
Last week or two someone was comparing Bowsite and Facebook well here’s your answer. Good job Bowsite!

19-Mar-21
Last week or two someone was comparing Bowsite and Facebook well here’s your answer. Good job Bowsite!

19-Mar-21
That’s great to hear. I was always taught to pay it foreword. I believe hunters in general are naturally that way. Small acts of kindness change lives for the better every day.

19-Mar-21
The Bowsite Community never ceases to amaze me. Absolutely, some of the greatest hunters, and greatest PEOPLE on Earth!

19-Mar-21
Restores faith in the human race.

19-Mar-21
I know of a couple of marriages, hundreds of friendships made, and countless good deeds such as the one that Orionsbrother describes here.

The community here (with a couple of exceptions) is the best community online. This story is amazing and not at all surprising- and that makes me very proud.

19-Mar-21
Thank u Pat. Would b an interesting story as to how and why u started this just a short few years ago! ??

19-Mar-21

Pat Lefemine's Link
Dean, here's a feature we did on the 20th anniversary of Bowsite. Lots of history made here including lawsuits, a goof story being picked up by Fox news, death threats, etc.

19-Mar-21
Thank you kind sir

19-Mar-21
Pay it forward

19-Mar-21
This was the "feel good" story of the week! Some darn good humans here.

19-Mar-21
What a ride! And thanks Pat, for providing a forum for all us Bowsiter’s to call home. This place is a wealth of knowledge, and I’m glad to be a small part of it. Bowsite is the best place for all things bow hunting!!

19-Mar-21
It gives a sense of hope to hear from someone that genuinely appreciates those which surround him! I belong to a local 'Veterans outdoor group'. They're the same way. That and the Bowsite are the only ones I follow for this very reason. Cheers orionsbrother!

19-Mar-21
Great to hear, I’ve met some great people from this site.

DJ

19-Mar-21
There are a lot of good people in this world. Live life rather than listening to the negative news coverage.

19-Mar-21
An awesome story Pat. Congratulations on your success. Your Bowsite and Stickbow stand alone at the head of the pack.

19-Mar-21
I agree with all these positive posts on one of the most uplifting threads that I've seen. The people on here are helpful and I appreciate the way they oftentimes make me feel with their generosity and great storytelling.

19-Mar-21
Ive met a few bowsiters from around the US because we all love bowhunting. But spending time with guys on this forum has given me hope that there are good, decent people in this world, that do pay it forward, and are a HOOT to hunt with.. You guys know who you are.. Congrats Pat.

19-Mar-21
I got an experience that just happened that shows what great people frequent this site. I posted a thread asking if anyone had a particular broadhead to contact me and that I would take them. So a fellow contacts me( I won't put his name out there bcs I didn't ask for his permission) and tells me he has a pack and for me to send him my address. Now mind u when I posted the thread I meant if anyone had any to get rid of I would buy them.. so I asked him how much he wanted for them and he says," nothin just put them to good use". Super nice of him to do that and if u see this, I want u to know I greatly appreciate it.

19-Mar-21
Never made any friends on the Bowsite but I sure gained a lot of brothers :)

20-Mar-21
I met some of my very best friends through the Bowsite, fellas I likely never would have met otherwise. And found some brothers, also. ;-)

20-Mar-21
bowsite is a microcosm of society in general. the vast majority of people are good, some are crooks, and some people are flat out nuts.

20-Mar-21
Brotsky + 1

I was having a conversation with a good friend about the odd, tenuous connections that kicked off friendships that matter. Crossing paths on a football field or a rugby pitch, having a cop run into you on a mountain bike... insignificant encounters that have lead to the strongest friendships that I have.

I would have never envisioned that I would think as highly about or value the opinions of guys that I’ve only encountered on the internet, on the phone and through emails.

Especially since I tend to shake my head at most comments posted by people on other parts of the internet. (And a few here)

20-Mar-21
Great stuff!!

20-Mar-21
That's awesome! Been fortunate to learn a lot and make friends in "real" life via this site as well. Very cool how those situations have developed for you Orion!

20-Mar-21
Brotsky + 1

I was having a conversation with a good friend about the odd, tenuous connections that kicked off friendships that matter. Crossing paths on a football field or a rugby pitch, having a cop run into you on a mountain bike... insignificant encounters that have lead to the strongest friendships that I have.

I would have never envisioned that I would think as highly about or value the opinions of guys that I’ve only encountered on the internet, on the phone and through emails.

Especially since I tend to shake my head at most comments posted by people on other parts of the internet. (And a few here)

• Sitka Gear