Jethro 07-Apr-21
Norseman 08-Apr-21
Will 10-Apr-21
'Ike' (Phone) 10-Apr-21
Ollie 10-Apr-21
bigtines 11-Apr-21
spike buck 11-Apr-21
05-Apr-21
IS IT JUST ME that gets pissed when I join or renew a membership in the Elk Foundation, Duck Unlimited, Pope and Young, etc, that I might receive a "gift" from those organizations for my membership and those gifts are made in China and every other place, else but the USA. I just received an Outdoor Edge Chowpal knife tool from PY, with a large sticker on the back of the packaging, stating "designed in Colorado", but Produced in China.

One would like to believe that American hunting organizations, founded in the USofA could at least offer a "gift" made in the USofA. OR OFFER NO GIFT AT ALL WOULD BE MY CHOICE AND SAVE THE $$$$$$$$$$$$$$FOR THE ORGANIZATION.

My SOAP BOX, for today. Paul

05-Apr-21
No it's not.

05-Apr-21
Paul, I agree. I’d rather not receive a “free gift” than Chinese trash.

05-Apr-21
NRA does the same....

05-Apr-21
I wish the organizations would put the dollars they spend on "free crap" we don't want to a better use....some conservation effort would be a whole lot better from my perspective. I want to pick my own stuff. Good post Paul.

05-Apr-21
I agree, but for what that Chinese Chowpal cost, you might get a Snickers bar made in USA. A kid-size Snickers. Difficult to find any little trinkets like that made in this country. The margins aren't there to manufacture them.

I get more upset at organizations that send real money in their solicitations for donations. Every month or so, one veterans group sends me either two quarters or, last week, a check for $1.50. I will never contribute to someone who sends money hoping to incent me to join.

05-Apr-21
The only thing I want from China is a massage ;)

05-Apr-21
I bet if one adds up all of those NICKLES these organizations spend on "gifts" it would amount TO THOUSANDS OF $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$THAT THE ORGANIZATION COULD DIRECT TO THEIR MISSION.

05-Apr-21
Or if nothing else Paul give you the option to opt out of free gift.

Spike is it the massage or the happy ending your after ;)

05-Apr-21
Paul: Are you sure the gift isn’t paid for by the Sponsor and costs P&Y nothing? In this case Outdoor Edge is the Sponsor.

05-Apr-21
I Agree Paul, please don't insult me with garbage.

05-Apr-21
Charlie, interesting question. I am not sure who paid for it or who it cost. I will ask PY and other organizations. I received this Gift from PY and mailed from the PY headquarters in Chatfield Minn, and I am sure the mailing ( at least 3$ USPS) was more than the wholesale price of the gift even if Outdoor Edge donated it to PY.

05-Apr-21
I got the Outdoor Edge knife set in the mail the other day and thought what the heck. Wife ask what I ordered now. In reality, P&Y got me in trouble!

Please, please, keep your stuff. I did not join for a knife set that I’ll never use. You want it back?

05-Apr-21
I totally agree with you about the slap in the American hunter's face. And further insult on a "lifetime" gift it a "certified POS" from China.

05-Apr-21
Went to Bass Pro for Christmas shopping, clothing and such, the whole clothing line practically was made in China. They also carry the Black Rifle Coffee brand which I really enjoy, but the coffee cups for Black Rifle are made in China lol. Black Rifle is a veteran owned company lol, They do have some cool vids on YOUTUBE tho.

05-Apr-21
First world problems. I’m not expecting PY to incentivize my 3 year membership renewal with a custom Damascus steel knife. I like American made products and our only hope of ever seeing a resurgence in US manufacturing disappeared on January 20th.

05-Apr-21
Agreed.... But you have to realize we are living in a society that is dumbed down to "free"... No such thing... (Of course!)

05-Apr-21
Pat is right. Hell, I can’t even boycott Coca-Cola because they own everything under the sun except Pepsi, and I don’t like Pepsi. In the same vein, we can never get away from cheap Ch8nese crap because our American businesses cant (don’t want to) compete with almost slave labor and even if they could we would still buy cheap Chinese crap because places like Walmart, Cabelas, and Bass Pro are covered up with it.

Paul, is there room on that soapbox for an old fat guy ?

05-Apr-21
Don, we will just get a bigger soapbox.

06-Apr-21
Yep I agree

06-Apr-21
Those free little gadgets, tools, and knives are great for hunters just starting out. I generally give them away to folks who will get use out of them. We all started somewhere. Another option is to donate them to local conservation orgs to be used as general raffle type prizes, etc. Lots of good to be done with them.

06-Apr-21
Chinese "crap" is in stores because people buy it. If there was equal or better profit to be made by selling higher quality American made goods, that's what we would see more of.

China is fantastic at manufacturing. They are capable of making high quality products from high quality materials. They make what the importer specs. China is no friend but the amount of their products in our lives is due to the face we see in the mirror each morning.

06-Apr-21
Exactly, China will only manufacture and export what there is a market for.

06-Apr-21

Jackaroo's Link
Here is a web site I use to source things not made in China https://chinanever.com/

06-Apr-21
agreed

06-Apr-21
My late wife bought me a Life Membership to Trout Unlimited for $1000 (birthday present), and as a perk I received a Winston Boron II rod and Lamson Reel with retail value of around $900 at the time. Winston and Lamson obviously partnered with them for the deal.

06-Apr-21
Glunt,

I agree. I just ordered a Massimo UTV after comparing it to a CanAm we were going to purchase. $5k less expensive and ordered thru TSC. The CA was thru a private dealer who no doubt the “salesman” would have received a nice commission. I like American, but I also like a bank account with some spare funds.

06-Apr-21
no issues here.

I give them credit for being sound business people that have weighed the cost / benefit and unit economics of what they give and what it costs and what they get and what it generates. if the offer for membership in one of these outdoor related entities makes it to my mailbox it is because it is the right thing for the business to do. since their business is one that is noble in my mind i assume that it's a good approach net-net.

06-Apr-21

06-Apr-21
I probably should care but I don't. Unfortunately the world we live in is manufactured by China.

07-Apr-21
It's the "rice bowl system"(The Sand Pebbles) on a much larger scale.

07-Apr-21
doesnt bother me any more than complaining online about a chinese knife, using a device that was probably made in the same country as the knife. if you don't want the knife, give it to a youngster that doesnt have one.

07-Apr-21
You can opt out. When I joined RMEF they were giving a hat and knife set. I wrote on the card that I mailed in "Don't want knife, just send hat", and they did. Not cause of made in China. I just didn't need the knives. Hat probably made in China too, but I wanted a hat.

08-Apr-21
I find it perplexing that these organizations feel the need to give or offer gifts to get donations/memberships. I am giving for a cause, and a thank you is all I need or would expect.

10-Apr-21
I get frustrated, because I assume they could make more $$ if they just asked for different donation levels. Maybe then offering discounts to various services or companies products or something... But save the gift and just use the money to do the good stuff the group is trying to do.

10-Apr-21
No sir...

10-Apr-21
Yes, it is just you.

11-Apr-21
I feel for $35 , I get a nice knife ( which I've used in the field) 6 issues of Bugle which I can lose myself in a hunting story, is a pretty good deal. And the rest can go in the RMEF kitty.

11-Apr-21

spike buck's embedded Photo
The China Virus
spike buck's embedded Photo
The China Virus

• Sitka Gear