DL 13-Apr-21
altitude sick 13-Apr-21
altitude sick 13-Apr-21
LKH 13-Apr-21
scndwfstlhntng 14-Apr-21
Swampbuck 14-Apr-21
IsaacMoore 25-Sep-23
12-Apr-21
Can any of you recommend what insurance company to contact to use as a backup that includes evacuation? My insurance only covers 80%. The big issue is making my wife happy about my upcoming trip. She seriously needs to stay off the internet.

12-Apr-21
International?

12-Apr-21
Doesn't the NRA offer travel insurance?

12-Apr-21

Realwarrior's Link
I don't know if you are a veteran, but if you are veteran and enrolled in VA healthcare, the VA had the foreign medical program that covers your overseas

12-Apr-21

Realwarrior's Link
Global rescue if you're not a veteran eligible for FMP

12-Apr-21
Craig Boddington has written some excellent articles on this subject in Petersens Hunting magazine. Not sure if you could access their website and find these in the archives but it would be worth the try.

12-Apr-21
Look at GeoBlue. It’s a branch of BC/BS for people that travel outside the US

12-Apr-21
Mexico.

12-Apr-21
From personal experience I'd recommend Global Rescue. I did not have to call for a rescue but the overall experience with them was positive for an expedition.

12-Apr-21
Been regularly using Ripcord Rescue for my international hunting trips and would highly recommend them. They have several different plans which are very affordable - what I like about them is they are more than just an air ambulance and advisory service, cover both medical and security extractions; and you can also add primary medical coverage for your trip. Many US health plans don’t provide or have very limited overseas coverage.

13-Apr-21
I knew a guy on a cruise in Mexico. Had appendicitis. Med flighted him off the boat to an emergency room where they had had some sort of civil disorder. Blood everywhere! He chose to be moved to another hospital where they required his family to put up $35k cash that night before they would operate. Idk very many people who have that kind of cash just laying around that you can access and wire TONIGHT! Be safe traveling abroad!

13-Apr-21
X2 on GeoBlue

13-Apr-21
Anybody have experience using GeoBlue? Quickly looking at their website and initial quote, they look like a good option.

13-Apr-21
I signed up for GeoBlu. It was $112. For a week.

13-Apr-21
Read the details, do you get to choose the hospital you want to be flown to or is it the nearest, cheapest they can find. I moved from Global Rescue to Ripcord

13-Apr-21
Many of the insurance companies do not have a person on the ground in the country your in. The best ones do. If they give you a credit card or tell you they will reimburse you. That is better than nothing. But just barely.

The the best companies will have a person in Mexico that is in the same time zone. You do have to call them first. Not the local emergency line. Then They set everything up from there.

“Most travel coverage only pays for evacuation to the nearest acceptable facility,” says John Gobbels, the chief operating officer at Medjet. “That means if you’re in a car accident in the French countryside, coverage might get you as far as a good hospital in Paris. If you’re in the Turks & Caicos, it might even get you to Miami. But once you’re at that nearest facility capable of treating your illness or injury, that’s likely where you’ll stay until you’re able to be repatriated home via a commercial flight.”

So here’s the bottom line: If you’re taking a vacation in the U.S., you probably need only $25,000 in medical evacuation coverage. If you’re traveling overseas, you may need $100,000 or more in coverage. But read the policy carefully and make sure it will transport you all the way home. If it doesn’t, consider supplementing it with additional coverage.

But above all, make sure you have medical evacuation coverage. If you don’t, you’ll have to pay out of pocket for your medical transportation home. And that could cost you hundreds of thousands of dollars.

13-Apr-21
I carried earthquake insurance for over 20 years in AK. The year after I sold we had a big one. My old house was the only one on our street without serious damage. One was destroyed and others cost a bundle to fix.

I always figured I could afford a few hundred every year but not $300K+.

Get the insurance. It's just a small part of the trip's cost.

14-Apr-21
American Express has a supplemental Travel insurance policy that is available if you have any of their cards. I am not a fan of the CC but keep it solely to be able to have this insurance. It is a year for my family at about $225 or so. I have not found any policies out there that give you a yearly policy for a relatively cheap rate. It is NOT primary medical insurance.

14-Apr-21
I’ve had GeoBlue for 6 years as my main insurance carrier for the whole family. I travel out of the country quite often (before covid). Knock on wood I’ve never had to use any emergency services, but I refuse to have some third world witch doctor work on me if it’s serious. Wrap me up and send me home! As far as in the US I have no complaints. Not much different than any other insurance thieves

25-Sep-23
When it comes to finding the right insurance company, consider reaching out to well-established ones like AIG or Allianz. They often offer comprehensive plans that include evacuation services. That extra layer of protection can be a game-changer, ensuring you're well taken care of in case of an emergency. Now, about your wife and her internet adventures – we've all been there! Sometimes, it's easy to get caught up in the endless scroll. Maybe try suggesting some fun offline activities or a mini digital detox before your trip. It might help her relax a bit. It's also worth looking into an ambulette service for transportation needs during your travels. These services can be a real lifesaver if you or your loved ones require special medical assistance while away from home.

• Sitka Gear