4nolz@work 13-Apr-21
newfi1946moose 14-Apr-21
Lawdy 14-Apr-21
bigswivle 14-Apr-21
LBshooter 19-Apr-21
12-Apr-21

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Here’s what could have been a $20,000. hunt. Literally down the toilet. The house we bought 5 years ago had a septic tank. When the drain pits fail we have to hook up to the sewer. Over $10,000 In Permits. Then tank ripped up and back filled anti back flow valve and hook up did the rest. So now every time I will go sit on the toilet I will think about what I could be hunting.

12-Apr-21
No secondary field?

12-Apr-21
Back in the 80s they supposedly put in two. They will not let you add new drain fields. They want your money.

12-Apr-21
Home ownership. Most times a blessing, sometimes a curse.

12-Apr-21
Yea, if you have sewer in the street there is no way you're hooking up to the reserve field. We call the drain field repair guys.

12-Apr-21
Most likely when you go to sell your house they would have made you hook up to the sewer then. When I bought my house back in 1994 the seller had to pay for my sewer hook up.

12-Apr-21
Just for grins.....if ya don't mind me asking, what was the breakdown for the $10K in permit fees? That seems like a lot of permit money to do a tank system removal/inspection and connect to the city sewer.

12-Apr-21
Costs vary by state and CA is expensive. Last year, it cost me 16 grand to put a new roof on my CA home. Everyone I talked to for a similar sized home in other states paid 1/2 to 3/4 that.

I asked the contractor why it was so expensive because all 3 bids were about the same and he said that it was largely because of CA work-comp rates + the steep pitch of my roof.

12-Apr-21
Over $10,000 In Permits. That’s crazy money just for permit

12-Apr-21
Literally flushing money down the drain, bummer

12-Apr-21
10k in permits to replace a septic tank another reason you should relocate from that state...

12-Apr-21
$170. Engineer permit $8400. Hook up permit Permit to abandon septic tank Permit to inspect hook up. Is was told I was fortunate I didn’t live in this ritzy are in the county. They said it was $50,000.!!!

12-Apr-21
Imagine what you could hunt for $50,000.....

12-Apr-21
Not much if you lived in California. When permitting, for something as simple as this, cost as much as that, you’d better be making some serious coin to afford to live there. Much less affording anything luxury.

12-Apr-21
Those are a lot of nickle-n-dime permit fees. That one to "abandon the septic tank" when you're actually removed it and then back filled it seems pretty lame.

Sheesh....I'd use that $50,000 for a down payment on another place in a better state than Cali. Ya might be a little late though.....a lot of other Cali res's already bailed for greener pastures and you'll be choking on their heal dust.

12-Apr-21
And just think... Now you will have a monthly fee for sewer waste water

12-Apr-21
My neighbor cheated his lower field and it was flooding mine. Caught him, got the County involved and they let him pitch into the ravine. Maybe $1500. We do have aeration systems so it is damn near drinkable effluent. Nothing surprises me in Cali.

12-Apr-21
Hooray for CA.

12-Apr-21
And that is why there is a mad exodus.

12-Apr-21
That absolutely sucks. That's like roofing your house or putting tires on your car, you don't feel any better having it done, just lighter in the pocket.

Our local sewer authority tried to make everyone in my area connect to sewer a couple years ago. Would have tripled my water bill.

At 49 I am moving past this whole home ownership thing. Not that I could find a tolerable place to rent, but with labor being in such short supply it takes way too much time to schedule anyone to do labor I cannot (or do not want to) do myself. Would love to be able to call my landlord and say "the hot water heater is broken" or "the house needs to be shingled"....

I have thought about trying to find 5 other families in the area and hire someone and just attempt to balance who he works for what days and have an employee.

12-Apr-21
People that can afford $20,000 hunts don't sweat septic problems.

12-Apr-21
Heck here in Appalachia, a lot still run it over the hill. I've heard tell that that's where the best moonshine water comes from. They say the Fishing's pretty good too. But, we're high tech rednecks. At the farm our outhouse has a composting toilet.

12-Apr-21
CNELK, no joke.

12-Apr-21
My cousins house in the King county Washington required a $90k Glendon system. He applied for a permit to add on a room and it triggered an inspection.

13-Apr-21
well that's a load of crap.

13-Apr-21
That's flat out DUMB! I can't imagine living where that's the "norm!" Smh!

13-Apr-21
That even makes Illinois look good. My permit was $100 for water well, geo wells and septic. Another $3500 for a sand filter system and the crap goes down hill.

13-Apr-21
Was in my local tag agency yesterday to renew my truck tag and the nice, elderly gal told the out-of-state customer in front of me the list of required documents necessary for the out-of-stater to change her driver's license and tags. Also that she would have to appear at a state driver's licensing agency to get that. Those appointments are out 4-6 months in some cases. New enhanced licenses are the problem here. Want to set up a mj-growing operation here...license is $2,500. Sprouting up all over the state. No wonder we are ranked in the bottom five for quality of life... Only have lived in rural environment and left the 'Dacks 11 years ago to escape the APA's dictatorship. That is the Adirondack Park Agency. Government 'control' has gone far beyond stupid!

13-Apr-21
Kenneth my quality of living has to be better here than about 90% of states. I live outside of town. No permitting required for much of anything really. I put in my own septic tank and leach field.

13-Apr-21
Probably money better spent to be honest...

13-Apr-21
Wow... from my perspective, that's a crazy percentage of overhead!

13-Apr-21
That’s where the WALL should be, between us and CA.

13-Apr-21
That's sh!tty.... California is sh!tty... Ed F

13-Apr-21
Kalifornistan

13-Apr-21
In the words of Red Hot Chili Peppers....Kalifornication.... you got F#€k€d

13-Apr-21
Was switching from septic to an aerobic system not an option?

13-Apr-21
Here in small town Kansas they charge a pavement cut fee of 500.00 and work has to be done by plumber so anything within a hundred feet from street you can put in new sewer line for a couple grand and new septic tack or field if live in country for around 5K

13-Apr-21
No additions to existing drain fields can be down plus there wasn’t any room to expand if they would allow it.

13-Apr-21
That's called the "COST OF LIVING".................................much higher in some areas of the country! ;-)

13-Apr-21
You are better off. Septic systems are great until they fail. We are building a house and while it is not in the city it does have sanitary sewer access. It was one of the selling points on this property for me. Also...where I live if sanitary sewer is available you are forced to connect. Not necessarily forced to connect, but you will be charged a tap fee and start receiving a bill.

13-Apr-21
We have lived in our house 28 years. The house was 5 years old when we bought it. Had to put in a new septic (sand) mound 3 years ago and this year we will need a new roof. We were hoping to redo the kitchen, but that will have to wait. Oh, the “joys” of home ownership!

But it beats the hell out of having neighbors that can look in your bedroom windows and paying someone else’s mortgage! ;-)

13-Apr-21
just do like the do in san fran and crap on the ground on the public right of way. no fine or court dates involved and you can keep your 20k.

13-Apr-21
Link...did not mean to suggest my living here in OK was lowering my quality of life. Being here having build a new house 10 years ago has greatly enhanced my quality of life compared to living in NY. The Park in northern NY is controlled by outsiders with $$$. Well, septic, buried power line, ran about $7,000 when the house was built. Same house taxes in NY...7-8,000....here...$990. When living on a fixed income one enjoys the di9fference!

13-Apr-21
The home in which I live was built in the late 1800's and has been in our family the whole duration. It did not have indoor plumbing and running water till 1954. Water for cooking and bathing came from the artesian well in the yard and you did your business in the outhouse.

In 1954 my great grandfather and grandfather dug by hand a huge hole in the yard and took a concrete culvert and stood it up on its end and placed it in the hole. They then punched 2 holes in the side of the culvert. one was for the inlet, the other was the outlet. On the outlet side they dug a trench and placed clay tile in it for the grey water to dissipate. The made a concrete lid for the top and placed it on there after it had cured. That was the septic system for this home till the fall of 2020 when I put in a new tank and drain field.

For a permit, the cost of the tank and drain field supplies and the labor to install it, ran me $6250.

My dad, to this day, still tells the story of when he was 10 years old in 1954 sitting at the dinner table for supper and his dad leaned over and said "Billy, after supper I got a job for you and you will like it. I want you to go out to the barn and get a bale of straw and throw it in the outhouse and burn it down." My dad said that was one of the best days of his childhood. No more crappin in an outhouse.

13-Apr-21
It amazes me how the fleecing of the average American citizen in places like CA keep getting worse, with no recourse.........

13-Apr-21
buckhammer - cool story

Mt Livin - it doesnt' stop there. My 20 year old truck's registration in CA was $200 per year. When I moved to AK, I moved the truck. Registration is now $100 for 2 years - 25% the cost. Not to mention that they just added another gas tax so the total is now 50.5 cents per gallon. The previous gas tax was something like an additional 29 cents and it was to pay for high speed rail. Once they figured out that it would cost untold billions of dollars to annex the land for the rail to get even close to the cities it was supposed to serve, they scrapped the rail line, but kept the gas tax. If I were to fill that truck up in CA today, I'd be paying $16 to the state of CA just in taxes to fill the tank once. Unbelievable.

13-Apr-21

buckhammer's embedded Photo
Here is the artesian well. This well runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week and has never went dry in over 100 years. It also never freezes in the winter
buckhammer's embedded Photo
Here is the artesian well. This well runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week and has never went dry in over 100 years. It also never freezes in the winter

13-Apr-21
MTLivin' and they just keep voting them in

14-Apr-21
Buckhammer...WoW! Your post brought back outhouse memories! Not too bad in the summer but nasty in 30 below in winter...that meant a longer trip to the cow barn. As I was growing up, we only had cold water in the house. My father booted me from home the fall of 1964 so I never enjoyed in-door plumbing at home. That fall he put in that plumbing...seems my 10-year old sister needed such. School PE classes REQUIRED showers after class and that was five minutes of heaven to me!

14-Apr-21
We had the septic system fail at our little church. We put in a incinerator toilet and run the sinks into a dry well. Works like a champ. Of course this is the boonies. I still use our outhouse in the summer. Put in a simple septic system 42 years ago and it has never failed because only the toilet goes into it. 1000 septic tank with a 100 foot long 12 inch perforated pipe surrounded with crushed stone. Waste water uses a dry well. If my septic ever fails, I will put in a composting toilet. My neighbor uses one and it works fine.

14-Apr-21
250$ mini bulk

250$ a day mini-excavator

5$ to cut hole in bottom of mini bulk

U will have a priceless septic tank

19-Apr-21
Well that's a crappy deal, go buy a handful of tickets for the MTN goat hunt, if you win you'll have your 20 k hunt.

• Sitka Gear