General Topic
Contributors to this thread:
skookumjt 09-May-21
Kydeer1 09-May-21
Pat Lefemine 10-May-21
09-May-21

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
This field will be planted later this year for a summer/fall blend. I showed a picture of this last year after they drilled beans into the clover, and then sprayed Gly.

The Gly did not kill the clover. I broadcasted rye grain into the field as the bean leaves were yellowing, about 3 weeks before harvest, done so for food and prevent soil erosion.

I did not have time to turn this under earlier this year, which I like to do to green manure. My equipment is not heavy enough to turn under tall grass, so I decided to spray.

50 gallon sprayer with one gallon of 41percent Gly and one quart of 2-4-D Amine. As you can see, it still did not kill the clover. The amine kills clover in our lawn at home.

This is ladino. Maybe from spraying weak products in the past the clover is resistant now? All other broadleaf (wild mustard was heavily present) were killed.

09-May-21

09-May-21
This is why the people promoting the use of weak concentrations of glyphosate need to be hit upside the head with a shovel and why chemicals will be restricted to licensed applicators.

09-May-21
I did a lot of research this year on killing a clover plot. Never could come up with a good answer or plan. Had a similar field as you and the clover really took off this spring from a past fall plot mixture. Wanted to plant beans so I needed to terminate it. Best I could tell gly and 2,4 D should do the trick at high concentration. I ended up doing gly and crossbow. On a negative note the residual of crossbow (2,4 d and Triclopyr) is lengthy so I'll need to leave it set for about 45-60 days, which I didn't realize early on. However it terminated the entire field. I do all no till so mechanical termination wasn't an option. Anxious to see how the summer plot of beans does.

10-May-21
Kydeer,

This was a clover field 2 years ago. Last summer my farmer drilled in RU ready soybeans, but not dicab ready. A licensed applicator sprayed after emergence. Whatever he used it did not kill the clover, as I reported last year. I guess skook will be swinging his shovel at multiple people;-)

I do hesitate using products that limit one’s ability to plant within a couple weeks or so. Thanks.

10-May-21
What Skook was referring to is the practice of spraying a weakened solution of GLY over clover which has been advocated by some habitat guys. This is the problem. That is much different than your farmer spraying the recommended solution and some of your clover survived it.

10-May-21
I knew exactly what he meant as all three of us have conversed on this before. I will take the advice of my neighbor who owned a major KS Co-Op for 40 plus years that actually looked at my clover field and said I did not need to use a 2 percent Gly solution to kill the other plants present. What would be ridiculous Pat is me taking the advice of guys with a lot less experience who never personally saw my field but recommended I put more poison down than necessary.

Kydeer has it correct, clover is not easy to kill, even for commercial users with the standard Gly approach. My own comfort level is to use less chemical when possible and do more mechanical control. I am turning that field over instead of another application of harsher chemicals.

• Sitka Gear