APauls 10-Jun-21
DL 10-Jun-21
WV Mountaineer 10-Jun-21
DL 10-Jun-21
GF 10-Jun-21
DanaC 11-Jun-21
08-Jun-21

Huntcell 's Link
Holy! Moly! Hawaiian man fined $633,840 for pouring poison into Pa?he?ehe?e Stream in North Hilo resulting in the deaths of an estimated 6,250 Tahitian prawns.

Do they have any realistic expectation of collecting much of any of it. He will be on the next flight out and starting over somewhere else.

Perhaps an incarcerated work 10 hour day release program for 15 years where the wages are direct deposited in states fishery account.

09-Jun-21
Some lobster fisherman in the Bahama's used bleach to force the lobsters from their hiding places. Bleach was said to also kill the coral reef where used by the lobster fisherman. The divers would carry a spray bottle of bleach and when a lobster hiding place was found, the bleach spray was used, thus the lobsters were collected. Hard to believe a person would go that far but the Holy Moly guy sure did.

09-Jun-21
Pretty horrible way of poaching.

09-Jun-21
Humans have the capacity to do incredibly stupid things in pursuit of money.

09-Jun-21
rooster, that is a true statement if I ever heard one. Money, power, and sex.

09-Jun-21
Too mild. Poachers should face the lash.

09-Jun-21
“Say what??”

Say AMEN!!!

09-Jun-21
Well, we piss and moan that poaching isn't treated as serious crime, and then when it is, everybody's like "Whisky Tango Foxtrot"....

09-Jun-21

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
I can see him find for dumping poison in the water but at the top of the photo it says they are an invasive species. I don’t think the fine will stick to that number.

10-Jun-21
DL, pouring ant poison in the stream doesn't only kill the invasives...it kills nearly everything.

10-Jun-21
Yep that’s why I said I can see him being fined for poisoning the water but charging him $100. for each prawn that was killed that they say are an invasive species seems out of line. What’s really ridiculous is the fine for dumping the poison. It’s peanuts for the damage that was done. In addition to $100 fines for each of the 6,250 prawns Spatz took, he was fined $200 for unlawful use of poisonous substances. The fine also includes $8,640 for staff research and overtime for Officer Shishido, a DAR legal fellow and DAR biologist Troy Sakihara.

$200. For poisoning a stream!!! How about $200,000.

10-Jun-21
It’s the water issue that showcases just how stupid he is. I say shoot him in the head and improve the gene pool. Not over the poaching. Over the poisoning of the water.

10-Jun-21
WVM that would be “Overkill”. Make him drink the water for a year. Just a thought. I wonder what his motive was? Maybe just maybe he’s been after the state to remove the invasive shrimp and they haven’t. So he took maters in his own hands. Stupid idea. Just throw some bass in there, problem solved. Then bring in otters to eliminate the bass and so on. Hawaii brought in mongoose to deal with rats. Rats are nocturnal while the the mongoose are diurnal. Seemed good on paper.

10-Jun-21
If the prawns aren’t protected, how can they prosecute for killing them???

And if they’re invasives, why would they be protected??

Something doesn’t add up. I suppose the regs allow for fines on the prawns and that’s just how they’re taking him to the mat for poisoning the stream.... I hope some smarter new regs come outta this.

11-Jun-21
"Just a Native who wanted to clean up his stream of Non Native species..."

Suuuuuure. Wanna buy a bridge?

• Sitka Gear