JL 18-Jun-21
maxracx 18-Jun-21
FORESTBOWS 18-Jun-21
t-roy 18-Jun-21
BOWUNTR 18-Jun-21
Nick Muche 18-Jun-21
FORESTBOWS 19-Jun-21
13-Jun-21
Has there been any discussion in years past of doing dedicated Bowsite hunts every year?

I know there have been loosely organized ones with a few folks, but in the years I've been around, I don't recall any discussion to do annual ones under the Bowsite banner. I could see some great bennies to doing organized/planned group hunts like that. Booking a boat/plane hunt, maybe booking a week at the bear camp of a Bowsite sponsor with only BS members?? I know someone would have to head each hunt up, but with known sponsors (outfitters) here....it might not be that big of a challenge. I can also see OTC hunts as the ideal hunts as draw hunts would get to be a headache dealing with who did/didn't draw a tag.

Just curious what the sentiment (and challenges) to do something like that would be.

13-Jun-21
We used to the the MHH (Magnificent Hog Hunt) annually at Clarkrange in TN, perhaps that is something that could be resurrected? Those were an absolute blast. I met many a Bowsiter at those events, some of which have remained close friends and hunting partners all these years later.

13-Jun-21
A suggestion on the Sitka boat hunt thread is what got me thinking about this. An example.....I don't know how many slots one of the bear outfitters could block off for a dedicated Bowsite hunt....but say it's 8 slots for a one week bear hunt. A volunteer PIC could coordinate with the outfitter on the proposed details, come back here with the info and solicit for 8 guys and gals who are serious and want to do that hunt. They would put down a non-refundable (transferable) deposit to secure their spot(s) with the outfitter. I think that would be cool and something that would generate some interest....at least to me I think it would gin up interest.

13-Jun-21
One thought on the sitka hunt specifically - if you are going to spend 7 days on a boat, you best make sure everyone is compatible. Even a 60+ foot boat is not that big.

13-Jun-21
AZ OTC deer hunt in January might be a good fit. Alot of people are done hunting by then. Share a camp and hunt alone if you want. Couse and mulies plus javelina if you so desire. Just a thought.

13-Jun-21
EF....ya...that would be the type that could work as a DIY group hunt. The PIC would need to be someone with the local knowledge so the hunters at least have a chance of seeing something that is not bee-lining for the next county over.

13-Jun-21
Several years back, I considered organizing one in an OTC elk unit where a couple group camp sites were blocked and people came and went to their specific spots as they pleased. There's a few places that are centrally located that would work.

But I think my OTC elk hunting days are over.

13-Jun-21
The last planned bowsite hunt was tutulik caribou in 2008! It kinda didn’t work out.

13-Jun-21
This could definitely work. Hog hunts after the season are a great way to hunt and share camp after the season is over. Plenty of places to hog hunt in Texas after most seasons have closed.

13-Jun-21
The first challenge would be defining the level of participation you want. The MHHs worked because the format was that of a rendezvous wrapped around bloodsport. If you want high turnouts, hog hunts are the best bet. Off-season and can be done communally. It would be interesting to put together a bowfishing gathering, too, but there are obvious equipment limitations with securing enough boats for participants.

13-Jun-21
OTC is the greatest challenge, why remove it from the equation? It test a true hunters skill set. No way I wouldn't hunt OTC every year!

ElkNut

13-Jun-21
Matt is spot on, Kodiak boat hunt can be a blast, but no way I am jumping on with some random group of guys. One bad apple as they say….

I really think the only real option for a consistently fun social hunt for a semi random group is an outfitted or semi-outfitted hog hunt.

—Jim

13-Jun-21
I like the idea of OTC elk.

Don't discount a January whitetail rut hunt in the south somewhere. (LA, MS, AL)

13-Jun-21
"Around a bloodsport " true that I'm still laughing over some of things that went on.

13-Jun-21
?y suggestion would be a hunt that you could have some numbers of bowsiters participate in

Like a hog/javelina combined with a carp/alligator gar hunt

Relaxed high percentage success rate hunt.

More participants the better!!

Someone will come up with a fun group hunt !!

13-Jun-21
Set it up Rob!

—Jim

13-Jun-21

jdbbro's embedded Photo
jdbbro's embedded Photo
There needs to be a 14th MHH

13-Jun-21
IMO....if a boat hunt was going to be the "hunt"....I can see where it would be wise to put some basic, simple ground rules in place prior to announcing the hunt and anyone laying down a deposit. Establishing expectations up front would be smart business....especially if it was under the Bowsite banner. The hunt PIC and his "second" would make the ground rules. IMO....one thing the PIC should establish up front about a boat hunt.....it's a serious hunt with serious cash involved by everyone and not a 24/7 booze cruise. A little snort at the evening dinner is ok....but absolutely no all-nighters. If you don't like or think you can follow the ground rules...don't go on that particular boat hunt.

I've been on numerous marathon (2-3 days) party boat fishing trips before and it seems there was always a clown or two who didn't or couldn't stop drinking and being loud and obnoxious. Between their loud, drunken conversations and/or constant puking over the rail....it made that aspect of the trip unpleasant. Hence...the no booze cruise rule.

14-Jun-21
I like the hog hunt idea!

I'm a little worried about my upcoming boat hunt. Anyone ever spend time in a confined area with some long-haired, mullet dude named Jim Treeman?

14-Jun-21
What about a Small game winter hunt for Jackrabbits/Bunnies in WY or another state?? No property of outfitter needed just a small hole in the wall town with a hotel?

14-Jun-21
I hunted with Jim in 2019 (pre Mullet-of-Death phase) You should be ok Nick, as long as you keep your cabin door locked. I will say, Jim DID do his part to help the blacktail population survive the upcoming winter, that year.

14-Jun-21
"Anyone ever spend time in a confined area with some long-haired, mullet dude named Jim Treeman?"

Not sure around the boat but you'll want to hunt with him on the island for sure. While past performance is not indicative of future results, your knees will thank you.

14-Jun-21
"Compatible".....

You mean like, you can all wear the same size underwear?

14-Jun-21
No rules!

14-Jun-21
Group hunts are a lot of fun. The United Bowhunters of Pa does a group hunt out of a camp ground for 4 days. They UBP has, (guess) 30 or 40 private pieces of private land that they give you a permit, directions and a map of where you have to park and where you can hunt on that land. Most participant only hunt the morning and evening and come back to the camp ground to socialize in between. UBP sets up a big tent to hang out at and Friday night they have a pizza party and Saturday night a pig roast with all the land owners invite to. They get about 50 members to show up for it. Always about the same 40 each year that show and all pretty much know each other. It's open to all UBP members. It's done about the 3rd week of September. They have a trailer cooler to keep the deer in.

14-Jun-21
That’s awesome Teeton. I’ve never heard of that before.

16-Jun-21

Rut Nut's Link
We have a LOT of fun at CAMP WHACK-A-DOE! Our motto is: “SAVE A FARM...............WHACK A DOE!” ;-)

Not necessarily a “BOWSITE HUNT”, but a lot of bowsiters attend every year!

It is always the first Thurs-Sat of the early Archery season in Pa. This year 9/23-9/25 If you are interested, feel free to send me a PM. Friday is Pizza nite and Saturday after the evening hunt is the Pig Roast- good times! : )

See link for one of our semi-live Hunt threads

16-Jun-21
Love that name Rut nut. That’s our mission on the farm we hunt. Lot of the guys won’t shoot does. And theres a 8pt minimum on bucks. I gladly go fill my doe tags there :). We only have access to that farm during rifle tho. Few bow guys have it for bow amd don’t like sharing almost 600 acres. But come rifle don’t tempt me with a 250 yard shot across the field big mama doe. I’ll getcha hahaha

16-Jun-21
Rut Nut…..Do you guys have a theme song for your annual hunt?

If not, might I suggest Roger Miller’s “Do-Whacka-Doe!! ;-)

16-Jun-21
Thanks Nick- it’s a great event that benefits Hunters Sharing the Harvest, local food banks and local farmers and property owners.

Always looking for new participants to join in- come join us if you can!

16-Jun-21

Rut Nut's embedded Photo
Rut Nut's embedded Photo
t-roy- LMBO! : ) we have a T-shirt, but no theme song! But we do have a member that usually plays his guitar around the campfire in the evenings. I will see if he can add that to his play list! ;-)

16-Jun-21
I would help with a OTC elk hunt in Colorado

16-Jun-21
Rut....any idea who designed that United Bowhunters of PA brochure?

16-Jun-21
That's actually a t-shirt, but I could find out who makes them for us.

16-Jun-21
No sweat.....I noticed the word "wack" should have been "whack".

16-Jun-21
Yeah, that slipped thru our quality control on the first run.............................good thing we're better at killin' deer than spellin'! ;-)

16-Jun-21
^...oops! Hopefully you guys didn't get a bunch of them from the supplier printed with "wack".

16-Jun-21
John if you need my help on a DIY hunt I’ll be more than happy to help

16-Jun-21
Somebody put together a group Elk hunt with Forest. I would be down with that.

16-Jun-21
Pasquale....you did come to mind.....John

16-Jun-21
United bow hunters of PA….I may have to make the event a yearly trip. I’ll gladly come whack some does in 5C before I head to 3C for rifle to fill my buck and other doe tags. This looks like a stellar time and one heck of an event put on! You had me at pig roast

16-Jun-21
The Pa. doe hunt sounds like fun! So does the Texas Pig hunt! If you haven't, hunting pigs with a bow is as fun as it gets, especially in a sufficirntly target rich environment. Add Rob Kiebler to that and the entertainment value increases exponentially! Make it happen RK! Find us a place!!!

16-Jun-21
Ki-Ke. LMAO!

You are to kind and to funny

Need a point guy. It could happen or at least go to the planning stage!

If anyone wants to get serious with looking at planning this PM Me and we can see where it goes

17-Jun-21
I enjoyed many hunts with my Bowsite brothers and sisters.

17-Jun-21
Deerslayer- you have a PM! ;-)

Ki-ke- you are welcome to join us- if interested, PM me your e-Mail and I will give you all the info.

You have me thinking about hogs................

17-Jun-21
There is a Texas Shoot out (I think thats the name) for hogs in I believe is March. Camp area, hunt on your own. I hear good things about it.. I'll see if I can find out more. Something already organized. Just pay a nominal fee, camp & bowhunt on your own, campfire lies at night.

17-Jun-21
John that's supposed to be one helluva great time. I had some friends do it years ago at another ranch

17-Jun-21
Now the JAVALINA HUNT. I copied this from their page. Here ya go.Already organized. Camp, hunt & campfire lies. It is CAMPING & GENERAL INFORMATION We have one large camp area for all hunters. This area has several roads cut through it. The area along the south side will be for those camping with generators. Near the Hunt store and check-in area is a well with good water. The camp area is totally primitive. We will have three portable toilets between the store/check-in area and the camp area. If you are planning to attend this hunt, but are unable to camp, may we suggest you make your reservations in advance. Uvalde is approx. 30 miles from the hunt entrance to the ranch off hwy 57. La Pryor is 10 miles from camp. Peoples Café (located on hwy 83 approx. ¼ mile north of hwy 57 intersection) We have eaten there a few times and the food was good and we were served cake after the meal. Mr. B’s Convenience Store has a SubWay Shop and was new in 2016. Highway 57 Grocery is located in the middle of La Pryor, north side of Hwy 57. They have everything you’ll need including a hardware section.

There are three filling stations * Mr. B’s Convenience Store- Gasoline & Diesel * Jerry’s Corner Mart- Gasoline & Diesel * Citgo- Gasoline Only

NEARBY TOWNS & ATTRACTIONS Uvalde– Approx. 20 miles north on Hwy. 83 from intersection of Hwy #57 and Hwy #83. * Motels, HEB, Shopping for the Ladies.

Crystal City– Approx. 20 south on Hwy. 83 * No Recommendations

Garner State Park– is located approx.20 miles north of Uvalde on Hwy. 83 * Camping, Swimming, Boating, Fishing, Hiking, Bike Trails, Picnic Area & Playground. HUNTING LICENSE Texas residents must possess a valid hunting license. Non-residents must obtain a 5-day small game license for $48.00. Obtain your out-of-state license prior to arrival. You can obtain your out-of state license by mail through the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept., 4200 Smith School Road, Austin Texas 78744, or by calling 1-800-792-1112 Mon.-Fri. 8:00am-5:00pm. To purchase your hunting license over the phone (Charge Card Only) call 1-800-895-4248. You can purchase your license online by clicking here. You may also pick up the license at any Texas Wal-Mart on the way to the ranch and give the number to the staff at the gate when being checked in. There is a New Wal-Mart in Devine, Texas, right on IH 35. HUNTING COSTS Pre-registration………………………………………………$300.00 Non-hunter with a hunter………………………………..$100.00 Non-hunter attending on their own…………………..$500.00 15 and under hunting with an adult………………….$100.00 15 and under with an adult not hunting………………FREE

All registrations are Non-refundable. You may transfer your registration to someone else or defer it to the following year providing the hunt continues. BAG LIMITS Bag limits include: two Javelina, No limit on Feral Hogs, Coyote, Rabbits and Rattlesnakes. DO NOT KILL: Mountain Lions, Bobcats, Jaguarondis, Ocelots, Badgers, Porcupines or Blue Indigo Snakes.

HUNTING DATES The registration check-in will open Wednesday March 2nd at 7:00 am.

IN 2022 ONCE HUNTERS HAVE CHECKED IN, YOU WILL BE ALLOWED TO BEGIN HUNTING. THAT WILL GIVE HUNTERS 5 DAYS OF HUNTING. The actual hunting dates are Wed March 2nd through Sunday March 6th. All hunters must be off the ranch no later than Noon Mon. March 7th.

RANCH LOCATION The ranch is located at La Pryor, Texas. Take I.H. 35 South to exit 111 exit and continue on Hwy 57 toward Eagle Pass. Travel 62.7 miles and the Check-in gate will be on the left approx. 2 miles past the ranches main entrance (DO NOT FOR ANY REASON ENTER THE MAIN RANCH ENTRANCE). We highly suggest you not arrive early as this is a state hwy without frontage roads and a drop off shoulder not conducive to trailers etc. If you do arrive early, I would suggest finding a place to park in La Pryor (with Permission of course) or going to Uvalde. Remember no one has an edge as this is totally new for all of us. Let’s make this a smooth operation for all of us and the ranch. We do want to continue a great relationship with the ranch.

EQUIPMENT There is no minimum draw weight any longer in Texas. When packing keep in mind that temperatures in south Texas at this time of the year can range from very cold to real hot. Staff and ranch personnel recommend a good compass or GPS and snake leggings or snake boots. Bring solar shower as we don’t have showers, we do have a water well.

PRIZE DRAWINGS and VENDORS We will do a silent drawing for varies door prizes as available and post the results at the pasture sign up table. All prizes must be picked up prior to the end of the hunt. We will have several vendors around the check-in/store area. Chris will have the food concession, Woodsey Too Quad pod stands (Ronnie Bradford), Animal Art Taxidermy.

SPECIAL NOTES 1. Crossbows with Staff Approval 2. All corn other than soured will be purchased from the hunt store. 3. No leaving for hunting areas prior to 5:30am. 4. Hunters are permitted to drive any roads within pastures open to this hunt. If you don’t want traffic through your baited area, bait off the roads. This ranch is very conducive to stalk hunting as most of the ranch is easy walking through the brush. Do not try to control more area than you can reasonably hunt.(150 Yds). Try to avoid driving between 2:00 P.M. and dark other than the three roads running from the camp area to the pipeline road that runs East-West to give other hunters and yourself a better chance at bagging game.

CHAPAROSSA RANCH and JAVELINA HUNT RULES EVERYONE ON THIS HUNT IS SOLELY RESPONSIBLE FOR ALL RANCH RULES, ANY VIOLATION WILL RESULT IN EXPULSION FROM THE RANCH (NO REFUNDS), NO EXCUSES WILL BE ACCEPTED, IF YOUR UNCLEAR ABOUT A RULE ASK FOR CLARIFICATION BEFORE YOU HAVE A PROBLEM. 1. All State and Federal Laws will be enforced. 2. WASTE of Game Animal: It is a violation to fail to keep all edible portions of a game animal in an edible condition until it reaches it’s final destination. 3. All gates will be locked or secured at all times unless otherwise noted. 4. Everyone must be preregistered check in and sign the liability release. Adults will sign for minors. (At check in trailer) 5. All hunters are required to sign up for pastures daily and scratch off the list upon returning to camp or changing pastures. 6. All camp sites must be located within the main camp area and kept clean at all times. 7. Bag Limits: 2 Javelina, no limit on Feral Hogs, Coyote, Rabbits and Rattlesnakes. 8. DO NOT SHOOT: Mountain Lion, Bobcats, Jaguarondis, Ocelots, Badger, Porcupines or Blue Indigo Snakes. 9. All game taken must be reported to hunt HQ’s for harvest data. (Exception-Rabbits) Javelina and Feral Hogs must be field dressed only. Rattle snakes must have the head removed before check-in and/or entering camp. 10. Anyone making threats toward another hunter will leave the ranch (with no refund) hunter disagreements should be settled through the Javelina Hunt Staff. 11. Wounded animals will not be tracked across a fence. DO NOT CROSS FENCES onto adjoining Ranches. 12. Ranch speed limited are 35 MPH, an only 5MPH through camp area. Persons being observed at any speed believed to be unsafe will be allowed one (1) warning. Second offense will result in removal from ranch and future hunts.

13. No driving on wet roads without permission. 14. No off road driving with ANY type motor vehicle. 15. No hunting or cleaning of game within 100 yds. of pens or water containers ( metal or concrete). NO HUNTING ALONG PERIMETER FENCES 16. Earthen Stock Tanks (ponds) are legal hunting areas. 17. No hunting and/or access will be permitted in areas designated by cross hatching as shown on the ranch map, Which includes the main ranch compound and high fenced area and east end of the ranch. 18. No deer or Turkey hunting or fishing during the Javelina Hunt. 19. No night hunting or spot lighting by anyone. 20. No Littering ( if you see trash please pick it up and dispose of it properly.) 21. Deer skulls or drop antlers will be left where found as requested by the Ranch. 22. No two or three wheel ATV’s will be permitted on the ranch. All motorized vehicles will have a red light visible from the rear. 23. No Firearms, drawlocks or crossbows permitted (Staff approval for crossbows only). 24. No Marking material other than the two items issued by Staff will be used. If found after the hunt, that person will be penalized with a 1 years suspension from the next years hunt. 25. When you change hunting spots or pastures, take your marking materials with you ( as you only have the two markers). 26. Your name and receipt # must be on both markers to be recognized as marked. Do not mark more than 150 yds per hunter. 27. Do not cut live limbs or trees anywhere on the ranch. 28. NEW THIS YEAR: No hunting on Perimeter fences or pipeline road. now the Javalina hunt (I just looked it up) Info I copied from their site.

17-Jun-21
I wouldn't do a boat hunt with bowsiters, they seem to accidently drop things off the boat. Not sure if archery gear floats, but those damn guns sure do sink fast :)

17-Jun-21
No worries on my end the gunboat sank awhile back

17-Jun-21
"one thing the PIC should establish up front about a boat hunt.....it's a serious hunt with serious cash involved by everyone and not a 24/7 booze cruise."

I don't understand this... Ed F

17-Jun-21
Why not do something like small game. Cheap and affordable for most. Do a squirrel/rabbit game feed when the fun ends.

17-Jun-21
The Chaparrosa Ranch hunt is awesome. Big ranch lots of game Maybe ahunter76 can put that together

I think there should be several Bowsite hunts. From chipmunks to grizzly bears. All of them would be awesome. That's the great thing about the bowsite, inclusive for all!!

17-Jun-21
From: BOWUNTR 17-Jun-21 "one thing the PIC should establish up front about a boat hunt.....it's a serious hunt with serious cash involved by everyone and not a 24/7 booze cruise."

“I don't understand this... Ed F”

I’ve heard just the opposite…Strange! A Gobbler hunt…

17-Jun-21
"one thing the PIC should establish up front about a boat hunt.....it's a serious hunt with serious cash involved by everyone and not a 24/7 booze cruise."

""I don't understand this... Ed F""

IMO.......

1. Any boat hunt involves a lot of money by each hunter.

2. You're on the boat for the duration with no place to go and have to get along. You can't just get in the truck and leave.

3. Unless you personally know each other....what one views as a little bit of drinking and having a good time might/will have a different definition to the next person. Once you're on the boat....it's too late to find that out.

4. This is what I have observed on the 2 - 3 day deep sea fishing trips I've been on. Someone(s) like their drinking more than the fishing and that eventually affects others.

5. A boat hunting trip is a lot longer (and more expensive) and IMO would require some understanding and consideration such as that to keep the hunt safe, focused and fun for all.

17-Jun-21
Chaparrosa hunt looks sweet. I would definitely be up for something like that.

18-Jun-21
Soooo..... I guess the strippers are out too..... rough crowd.

18-Jun-21
Depends on how much they drink, TD….

18-Jun-21
In my experience, the boat captains generally will not allow the situation to devolve into a drunkfest for safety reasons.

On the flip side, if someone is really hung up on how others conduct themselves a boat trip may not be for them.

18-Jun-21
Nailed it Matt. Drinking or not drinking has nothing to do with it most of the time. Someone is either an ass clown or they're a good guy. I know the group of guys I hunt with almost exclusively hunts their asses off during legal hours AND we like to have a good time in the evening. Memories aren't just made on the mountain. To quote Clint Eastwood, "A man's got to know his limitations" and that's the facts.

18-Jun-21
Matt was the "compatible " comment directed at me? Hey man everyone loves me. Lol

18-Jun-21
It wasn't directed at you as far as you know.

18-Jun-21
As I said earlier....I don't have a problem folks taking a snort at dinner. It's the wee hours activity is where problems can arise. On the flip side....I suppose if folks can't abide by that or don't feel rules apply to them....maybe the boat hunt isn't for them. That's why all of that is disclosed up front prior to anyone putting down deposits. If the folks in the group know each other, it shouldn't be a problem. If some of the folks do not know the other folks in the group....someone could be a cool person at first and then turn into a loose cannon when they have too much. That is what I have witnessed on some of the boat trips I was on and am a touch leery of getting into those situations. We've all read the hunt camp stories on here where there were problems with some of the hunters. I think a boat hunt would require a little more structure and cooperation due to the confined quarters and isolation.

Strippers????

18-Jun-21
Forestbows, I'd be interested in that. Round up some flatlanders from the midwest and make the roadtrip to hunt elk.

18-Jun-21
Let's do it.

18-Jun-21
How many guys could you host in camp at a time, Forest?

18-Jun-21
Too many rules... I'm out... Ed F

18-Jun-21
Haha

19-Jun-21
I could put together as big of a camp as we needed. I have 2 big tents that would sleep 10-12 easy. 6 others that sleep 8 and 4 smaller ones. Plus 4 8 man light weight tents.

• Sitka Gear