JL 26-Jun-21
MarkU 26-Jun-21
Cheesehead Mike 27-Jun-21
Norseman 27-Jun-21
Rupe 28-Jun-21
Thornton 28-Jun-21
Rickm 28-Jun-21
25-Jun-21
Working on getting my PPL and looking at buying a plane. Either a Turboprop or something like the Piper M350. Was wondering if there are any Pilots here that I can communicate with and ask some questions.

Thanks in advance

25-Jun-21

thedude's embedded Photo
thedude's embedded Photo

26-Jun-21
TTT

26-Jun-21
Buy a fixed gear aircraft to get your license and instrument ticket. Build a lot of hours and confidence before jumping to a faster, complex aircraft. 100% of my high time , high quality pilot buddies and instructors advised that and it worked. Bought a share of a 172 to start, moved up to a 206, 182R and lastly a PA 32R. For my missions ( under 500 miles, some soft and wet grass) the retractable not worth the hassle and expense. Had a gear down emergency over Tulsa when I lost all electrical , swore I would go back to a fixed gear but quit flying after I sold that plane. Good luck , I miss my flying days, wonderful,times

26-Jun-21
Went on my first flight when I was 18 months old, with my dad, a flight instructor. Soloed on my 16th birthday, but ran out of money to follow it up. Then the war came along and afterwards I REALLY didn't have the money. Enjoy the flying. I sure did

26-Jun-21
I just bought an F15 on ebay.

26-Jun-21
I'm not a pilot but have a lot of years fixing and flying in CG helos....fixed gear and retractable. IMO....GI above is correct in his advice about starting simple. Building your time and experience up before moving up to more advanced aircraft is sage advice. I've been on a lot of training flights with brand new student pilots when I was stationed at our aviation training center. Things happen fast in the air and ya have to think fast when you're in a crowded pattern and the tower is giving you instructions. That seemed to be a challenge to the new pilots....trying to fly the aircraft to a landing and being given tower instructions. As these new pilots get more experience flying, navigating, doing the checklists and EP's, you can see they get more comfortable and confident. When you can Aviate, Navigate and Communicate at the same time....you're doing good. Then there is night flying......

26-Jun-21
H, you couldn't afford a tire for an F-15, much less put fuel in it.

Rupe, you can certainly buy one of the planes you mentioned, but you won't be flying it without a qualified instructor sitting next to you for a long time. Unless you don't get insurance.

The other guys are correct. You need to start out on the small side and put in the time and get the qualifications you need, especially the instrument rating.

Buying the plane is just the start. Insurance and maintenance aren't cheap. I own an aircraft maintenace business, and we just put a new starter generator on a TBM 700 (single engine turboprop) that cost $38,500, made in France. On the insurance side, one of our customers has about a dozen planes, including two P-51's. He wanted to upgrade his Piper Meridian to an 850, and the insurance quote for one year was 33 thousand. And he is a high time pilot who used to race in the unlimited warbird class at Reno.

I've been flying since 1975 and have four planes now, one disassembled. The one I use the most is a turbo 206, since it's basically a pickup that can haul stuff and is good in the backcountry.

27-Jun-21
Been a pilot and airplane owner since 1993. Just a little one though...

27-Jun-21
Steve, did it come with Nukes?

28-Jun-21
I really appreciate all the advice and the private messages. Just another reason why I’ve the Bowsite.

28-Jun-21
I'm flying a few times a month working on my PPL. I grew up around planes as my sister's husband owns 2. Luckily, he and my nephew are A&P mechanics so maintenance is low cost. From my experience, take what you think you'll spend on a plane and double it. Insurance, annuals, break downs, hangar rental, it all adds up. A physician I work with has had his Cessna in the shop and is on a 2 month wait list just to get a carb repaired. When I buy, I'll be looking for a Piper, Kitfox, or something of the like.

28-Jun-21
Insurance is another big deal for a low time pilot and a high performance plane. To the point you can't get it at any price.

• Sitka Gear