Elkivory 06-Aug-21
Kevin Dill 06-Aug-21
WV Mountaineer 06-Aug-21
MathewsMan 06-Aug-21
otcbowhunter 07-Aug-21
Kevin Dill 07-Aug-21
trophyhill 07-Aug-21
13-Jul-21
Which is better and where is the best place to buy a 10-12 day supply?

13-Jul-21
Any reason not to bring some of each?

13-Jul-21
https://www.rei.com/c/food

13-Jul-21
No reason I guess, I've never had peak refuel but I can eat almost all the different MH meals.

13-Jul-21
It’s pretty hard to find much for deals this time of year because everyone is gearing up for September. Thier is a significant difference between the meals especially relating to sodium and carbohydrates. I would buy a heathers choice, mountain house, peak refuel, and any other high end dehydrated meal and try one before you make an investment. Many of the meals have me wanting to take a dump in the middle of the night due to carb overload. It’s all about calories in the mountains though so make sure thier ounce you calorie ratio is high

13-Jul-21
I prefer Peak and have been buying them online when on sale throughout the year from various sites. All stocked up over the winter.

13-Jul-21
Anyone tried the Stowaway Gourmet?

Another low-carb option is Next Mile Meals. I haven't tried either of these yet.

13-Jul-21
Peak has better flavor but smaller portions. I mix them up with favorites of both. You can find deals online but I support my local shops. Ed F

13-Jul-21
mh... They are the most consistent.

13-Jul-21
Costco carries Mountain House, so does Wal-Mart. I bought a bunch for a hunt but tagged-out early and was able to return them.

13-Jul-21
Peak has way better macros. More protein. I haven't tried Peak yet, but when you compare the nutrition info bet the two, peak wins hands down. I may try some Heathers Choice as well.

13-Jul-21
Peak refuel, my mt house stays home. Sierra trading has the best prices although midway had some at about 40 off a while ago.

13-Jul-21
Peak Refuel is consumed first. MH are in case the hunt exceeds the number of Peak meal on hand. I used to think MH tasted good, until I used Peak last year. The best ones blew MH out of the water.

13-Jul-21
I recently had the peak chili mac and prefer it to the MH version. Not sure about relative portions, calories, etc., just talking taste.

13-Jul-21
Peak has better flavor and nutritionally better. I buy them on sale from goHunt. But I have both Peak and MT House. Buy some of the Mt House meals strictly on price. Peak does take a little longer to rehydrate.

13-Jul-21
I switched to Peak also…Whole lot better taste, least for me!

13-Jul-21
Gohunt had a good sale a couple weeks ago, stocked up on MH and grabbed some peak too. Sales pop up every now and then. Was able to get the MH for half the price of the peak refuel normal price, and never had an issue with the MH they're good enough for me.

13-Jul-21
Peak is way better IMO. Better calories/food value and better tasting. I also like that most Peak meals use less water than MH.

Still bring a couple MH biscuits and gravy and Stroganoff but that's it.

13-Jul-21
Actually did a comparison in last few months. Both were good IMO, but would say peak was a little better.

13-Jul-21
Do both chili macs have the same BTUs in after effects?

13-Jul-21
Midwest,

I tried the Stoaway Gourmet Shrimp Currey. Good flavor but the rice didn't rehydrate very well and consistency was a little weird. I let it sit for a long time too. I'm planning to have a couple with me this fall just for something different.

13-Jul-21
Peak. Even the breakfast selection is better IMO

13-Jul-21
night and day difference with the breakfast skillet

peak is $10 at sierra but limited choices

black ovis has a 5 pack for $45, the other packs are overpriced

smarler has some decent "pack" pricing

14-Jul-21

14-Jul-21
Peak

Amazon

14-Jul-21
TD…Yes, YES they do! 8^D

16-Jul-21
Will Peak fill me up? A MH with 2 servings is perfect after a long day of elk hunting. Taste is important but so is volume.

16-Jul-21
Peak isn’t bad but I prefer MH for flavor. Serving sizes are similar. Take some of both for long trips.

16-Jul-21
MP/Joe- Yes they fill you up. (In the past I have used the MH 2-3 serving sizes) The may not fill you quite as much as a 3 serving MH. But I enjoy the Peak much more. The primary difference for me is I need to let Peak rehydrate longer. (Longer than instructions) Once I dump water and stir packet, I wrap my puffy around packet and do other camp stuff (While it rehydrates)

16-Jul-21
Thanks Z!

17-Jul-21
MH here and only chili mac. 2 per day .

17-Jul-21
Suffer, you hunt solo?

17-Jul-21
Lol

17-Jul-21
I can see why Snuffer has no bear problems! :)

17-Jul-21

Glunt@work's embedded Photo
Glunt@work's embedded Photo

18-Jul-21
Peak is my favorite right now. I can't justify a MH unless someone else has it.

They have the only freeze dried breakfast I actually enjoy. You can get the Elk ragu one and it's got a ton of calories and protein. It actually gets hard to finish.

06-Aug-21
Spent a week in the Bob Marshall Wilderness area this summer. I had Peak Refuel meals and my son and his buddy had MH. We compared protein and calories almost every meal. Peak had more protein and calories in all the meals we compared. Both taste great IMHO.

06-Aug-21
Well, at the end of a hard day hunting in Alaska I could probably be satisfied to scavenge a gut pile. I like something from most all the FD manufacturers, but they all produce something I can't eat. I can't shop simply by brand...it comes down to the entree and that's it. A lot of people like Heather's Choice as a brand, but I've never yet found an entree from them I liked even remotely. Peak ReFuel has several good entrees, but MH and BP are still the gold standard in my duffel bags.

06-Aug-21
^^^this^^^.

On a side note, there are lots of good sellers out there aside from those mentioned here. Try some out. Go with taste. Not brand.

06-Aug-21
I found that adding a packet of instant grits makes the chicken and dumplings MH substantially more tasty

07-Aug-21
MH fills me up a little better than Peak. Last year when I was packing my bull out I would eat 2 Peak meals at the end of the day.

07-Aug-21
Some of the 2-serving meals (supposedly) from MH and BP are actually too much for me to consume at dinner. More than once I've zipped the bag closed and saved the remainder for lunch the next day. Also...adding a couple squirts of olive oil to some of the entrees can improve palatability. I always have a small bottle of grated Parmesan cheese with me and add it to certain entrees.

07-Aug-21
Peak hands down. Less sodium and tastes great! Love the Mendes series

• Sitka Gear