Adam B 22-Jul-21
Timbrhuntr 22-Jul-21
WYelkhunter 25-Jul-21
drycreek 25-Jul-21
bowonly 25-Jul-21
TreeWalker 26-Jul-21
orionsbrother 26-Jul-21
22-Jul-21
Last fall I was diagnosed with cancer. I went through treatments all winter and spring. We didn't think I was going to need surgery so I thought I was going to be able to do some hunting this fall. Well things happen and I ended up needing surgery. Just had a major one 2 weeks ago and will need one more around the 1st of September. Well no hunting for me this year. So I will be living through your guys stories and pictures. I am going to miss elk hunting the most. I haven't missed a season since I started bow hunting in 1994.

22-Jul-21
I'll try and do my best to get you some pictures and a story. Hope you have a speedy recovery and get out in the woods soon.

22-Jul-21

Dyjack's embedded Photo
Dyjack's embedded Photo
I'm really sorry you have to deal with all that, buddy.

I have a few hunts this year. Antelope, elk, bear, Barbary. And I'll keep you in my mind during all of them.

22-Jul-21

Treeline's Link
One of the best elk hunting stories of all time by OTCWILL.

22-Jul-21

Treeline's Link
And this one that is sure to raise any hunter’s spirits!

Good luck! We will be keeping you in our thoughts and prayers!

22-Jul-21
That's rough, Shane. Wishing you a speedy recovery! Ron

22-Jul-21
Prayers for a healthy recovery.

22-Jul-21

Ron Niziolek's embedded Photo
Ron Niziolek's embedded Photo

22-Jul-21
This too shall pass. I had to miss nearly a full archery season a few years ago due to health reasons. Coming back and being able to hunt again was one of the best feelings ever. You are going to come back stronger and more motivated than ever! Get well soon and those be bulls will be waiting on you next year.

22-Jul-21
You have some awesome trophy photos posted and I’m hopeful you have many more hunts. Believe and we’ll pray for your doctors too.

22-Jul-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
First off......hang tough on the cancer thing and take it day by day. Keep living life.....don't ever quit living and moving forward!! BTDT......

Now....I was just out in Montana doing my thing. Here's a few pics to check out.

22-Jul-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
Some more to look at......

22-Jul-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo

22-Jul-21

ahunter76's embedded Photo
ahunter76's embedded Photo
Sorry to hear your dealing with this & know first hand about it with family. Anyway, I will share a short story to start. I was with 2 archery club members & had been invited to hunt a farm with them they had permission to hunt. I had never been to it & it was an hour from where we lived so I depended on Jack to show me where to go on stand. We walked from a lane between 2 corn fields into an alfalpha field like 2 acres square. Timber on right side & corn on the other 3 sides. Jack said I should make a stand on the edge of the corn by the lane. He said the deer crossed & came in & out of the lane. They went on down the timber side to their spots. It was chilly & as the sun started coming up the dew started dropping off the corn. Birds flying in & out & noises everywhere in the corn. It's like half hour after sunrise & I stick my head out to look down the corn & there, under 20 yards is a Doe looking right at me. I start to draw & she jumps into the alphalpha field & I release the arrow & watch it fly over her back & she runs down the center of the field. A few seconds later, I'm shaking from the excitement. It's like a half hour & I see a Buck come trotting out of the far left corn field & trotting directly for the lane I am by just like Jack had said. He was a 6-8 pointer with a corn stalk in his horns. He passes at about 20 yards when I fire & watch my arrow pass just under him & he vanishes down the lane. It gets to be about 10 am & I see Jack coming my way so go out & fortunatley find both arrows. They had seen deer but none close enough for a shot but chuckled at me as they had seen my action. We ate lunch & then afternoon took up stands along a ridge, ravine. I was on top of one side of the ridge by a fence & Gene was 100 yds at the end of the ravine & Jack on the other side out of sight. Anyway, about an hour b/4 quitting time I see Gene coming to full draw & release an arrow. I hear it crack off a tree & then see a forky buck headed right at me He stops at like 20 yds behind a tree & is looking back down behind him. I'm at full draw & he steps out. I was so rattled he ran right to me I don't think I even aimed & the arrow flew over his back. He made a couple jumps & I "actually" shot at him again as he jumped the 3 foot fence. FOUR shots, from the ground, opening weekend on Illinois FIRST EVER Deer season in 1957. I was 15 years old. Gene commented later that he thought I had an automatic bow since I got that 2nd shot off so fast.

22-Jul-21
Hey Shane, Being a cancer survivor myself 11 years ago at 70 years old, I know the issues you are going through. My bucket list challenge this year is to kill a bull elk with the recurve bow and then that hunt and following story will be deliciated to you as I know you will bring me luck on my challenge. I wish you the very best on your challenges. Paul

22-Jul-21
Sending a prayer from Iowa....get well soon!

22-Jul-21
Shane,

We turned in our Montana breaks elk tags last year as my BIL was going through radiation treatment at 48. We were supposed to hunt with Bigdans brother Ron.. first time since Dan passed.. Life throws curveballs that we need to deal with. I hope everything works out for you and you can post your own hunt next year. Prayers from Ohio.

22-Jul-21

Empty Freezer's Link
We dont know each other but this bowsite has introduced me to some awesome guys. I wish strength and good will in your fight. This is my only hunt i posted so dont expect too much :).. Prayers from CA

22-Jul-21
https://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=457321&messages=66&forum=5

22-Jul-21
Oh man that sucks ! I went through that last year 2 surgeries and 7 weeks of radiation. Definitely not fun. In remission now so hope the same for you. I would love to post a hunt but I'm still on the sideline as all my hunts are in the US and I can't get across to hunt ! So I will be stopping here to read your thread too !

25-Jul-21
thanks everyone, I will be watching the different animal sections for hunts this fall.

Paul@thefort it is an honor for you to dedicate your hunt to me this fall.

I got some good news, The pathology came back and the section they removed and the lymph nodes that were taken out all came back as no cancer present. It had full response to treatments. Now 1 more surgery in September and just scans and test for the next 5 years.

25-Jul-21
Good news indeed ! Cancer is a bitch and I’m sorry that anyone has to go through it. Sounds like a good prognosis for you though, keep your head up and hope you enjoy everyone’s hunts as much as I do.

25-Jul-21

bowonly's embedded Photo
Fall aspens and elk hunting
bowonly's embedded Photo
Fall aspens and elk hunting
What do I know about cancer, but I am thinking just keep grinding like you would chasing that bugling bull uphill. You gotta believe this is the time and he's the one so you keep climbing to catch up. Keep chasing your next elk season and believe you are catching up and it'll happen!

26-Jul-21
My left elbow gave me problems starting a decade ago so I use smokepoles and rifles. Links are to that type of hunt so avoid if only enjoy the more challenging archery adventures.

Rifle pronghorn MT https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/mt-pronghorn-2018.285821/

Smokepole elk in NM https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/nm-muzzleloader-elk-hunt.293021/

Rifle mountain goat in CO https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/colorado-g13-mountain-goat-hunt.260890/

Rifle moose in ID https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/drew-bull-moose-idaho-69-2.268808/

Rifle Mountain Goat in MT https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/mt-316-goat-adventure.301766/

Smokepole elk in NV https://www.hunttalk.com/threads/bull-down-in-jarbidge-nv.292167/

26-Jul-21

orionsbrother's Link
Hope all is well with you and this link to links works.

Pulling for you brother.

• Sitka Gear