Bou'bound 25-Jul-21
drycreek 25-Jul-21
Woods Walker 25-Jul-21
Dyjack 25-Jul-21
LBshooter 25-Jul-21
drycreek 25-Jul-21
greg simon 25-Jul-21
23-Jul-21
Just saw an article about a guy in AK who was mauled by a a Griz, escaped, and made it back to his shack ehere the Bear returned again and again for about a week until a passing plane spotted his distress signals.

WHERE THE HELL WAS HIS .45/70???

23-Jul-21

Dyjack's Link
I looked it up to get a link. Sounds like a nightmare. The article says he had a pistol. Wonder what it was.

23-Jul-21
Sad story. He needed a better plan. And now he needs to Just move on. He does not need to be in the Alaskan wilderness anymore

23-Jul-21
That bear would not have made it through the second encounter with me. I don't understand, what did he have, a 22 pistol?

23-Jul-21
“The encounter served as a reminder of the importance of carrying an emergency beacon or satellite phone or texting device, according to the Coast Guard.“

He’s REALLY lucky that helicopter happened by..................it said the helicopter crew changed course by about a mile to avoid some low clouds and just happened to spot him waving his hands in the air...............

23-Jul-21
Dang..glad he made it thru but Id be packin some heavy lead

23-Jul-21
The report should have said that it is a reminder of the importance of having a way to kill bears very quickly.

23-Jul-21
Yeah, my question is why did he have 2 rounds left?! ;-)

23-Jul-21
""Petty Officer 1st Class Ali Blackburn, a spokeswoman for the Coast Guard in Alaska, said in an interview Wednesday that it was unusual for a person to have several encounters with the same bear.""

She must not have heard about the biker lady killed in Ovando, MT a couple weeks back by the returning grizz. Dang Coasties....

23-Jul-21
Even if she did hear about it is still very rare.

23-Jul-21
“unusual for a person to have several encounters with the same bear.”

Yep… Should be right up there with both parties surviving the initial encounter…

I don’t know if it was attached to the article I mentioned at the beginning here or not, but I ended up surfing my way onto a site which was giving advice on what to do in Bear country, and their recommendation was (are you ready for this?) that people refrain from using bear-strength pepper spray on bears. It said “because you don’t want to agitate them” or some such gibberish…

You just can’t make this stuff up!

23-Jul-21
the story just sounds fishy... i don't think we have all the details

24-Jul-21
One thing that is weird from the stuff I read is that they say they have no idea how the guy even got there.

24-Jul-21
Lol

24-Jul-21
I think I read that bear spray has less of the nasty ingredient than is found in pepper spray, for humans, because animals are extremely sensitive to it. On the other hand, I gather that the bear spray shoots further than pepper spray.

24-Jul-21
Story sounds fishy to me too, But way more legitimate then the story of the lobster diver who got swallowed and spit out by a humpback whale. That one made me laugh.

24-Jul-21
Bear spray is 2-3 times as potent as standard police pepper spray. 1-1.5 million scoville vs about 3 million scoville.

24-Jul-21
Interesting, thank you. I read up on it and you’re right. Good to know. And kind of comforting.

24-Jul-21
My wife accidentally touched off bear spray in our log home in Tennessee all I heard was pssst she came out red faced and eyes pouring and almost puking ??a couple of seconds later it hit me out to the porch gagging and face burning ??.I was not in the same room.We had to wash the room down 2 or 3 times and all the towels and clothes inside that room had to be washed.Pretty nasty stuff good luck Lewis

24-Jul-21
Good to have sudecon wipes around if you're going to have spray.

25-Jul-21
Even if she did hear about it is still very rare.

25-Jul-21
What would be even more rare, if it were me in that situation, would be me having any ammo left after the second encounter. I’m a great believer in shooting until they don’t wiggle any more. Hogs are my only experience, but bears would be the same for me.

25-Jul-21
My guess is that the firearm he had, was of a caliber who's first number was less than a "4"!

25-Jul-21
If he had bear bells on then the bear would've heard him and ran away. Duh.

25-Jul-21
Don't understand how he ended up with two shots left after all the encounters. Maybe a glock 20 should be on his Christmas list.

25-Jul-21
Hell, it was the ammo shortage, he was conserving it ! ;-)

25-Jul-21
Maybe he was saving a round for himself!!!

• Sitka Gear