HDE 04-Aug-21
Mark S 04-Aug-21
DeerNut 09-Aug-21
Jaquomo 09-Aug-21
Missouribreaks 09-Aug-21
28-Jul-21

KsRancher's Link

28-Jul-21
Great post Rancher! Sad cases. It looks like CWD is spreading in Saskatchewan and Alberta. Read an article that they believe eating tainted meat can spread it to humans (first I've seen that) and that the researchers said for that reason they stopped eating venison. So much we don't understand yet. They also said if it spreads to caribou it would really decimate them. So many issues with viruses, environment, animals, pollinators. Hopefully, we will figure this out

28-Jul-21
One refreshing thing is that nobody is blaming CWD on "climate change". Yet... But I'm sure somebody doing a grant-funded study will soon try to make a link to AGW and CWD.

28-Jul-21
Sure hope CWD cannot transfer to humans. If ever proven, this would decimate and end an industry and way of life for many.

28-Jul-21
It sounds like in these case the victims are essentially injecting infected brain material into their bodies accidentally. I almost never mess with brain material while butchering so I would suspect most hunters are extremely low risk, but I would hope this would be an eye opener for taxidermists. Seems like a likely accident for them.

28-Jul-21
Um, I didn't read the whole thing but this has to do with CJD not CWD. CJD can spread, no evidence yet of CWD spreading.

28-Jul-21
One of my hunting buddies died from CJD back in 2013. He lived in Wyoming at the time, but no one knows how he got it.

28-Jul-21
"no evidence yet of CWD spreading." The key word is "yet". At one time mad cow disease probably did not spread to humans either.

28-Jul-21
Here we go again. CWD has been around for 55 years, assuming the first day they discovered it was the first day it ever existed. Tens of thousands of infected animals have been eaten by hunters, family, and friends. Maybe more than that for longer than that.

If it did present, it would present as CJD-v. Our county is the core hot zone where CWD was discovered. Our percentage incidence of CJD-v is lower than the national average.

Lots of things to be concerned about during a hunt. Vehicle accidents, falls from treestands, falling trees, broken bones, animal attacks, hypothermia, knife, broadhead, horse, and bullet accidents, meth heads, ARAs, hunt saboteurs, pick your poison. CWD is waaaaaaaaay down on the list. I don't know of anyone who even gets animals tested anymore.

28-Jul-21
Amen Lou. I just hope testing does not become mandatory in Colo or Wyo for research reasons.

29-Jul-21
I have an aunt who died of CJD. To the best of my knowledge, she never ate venison. She lived on a farm and had a large family but no one else in her family was infected. Hard so say how she got it.

29-Jul-21
Lou, I agree! However we are a nation that runs on fear. It wouldn't take a whole lot to scare our population into decimating the herds “for our own good”

29-Jul-21
meth head concerns? that's new to me

30-Jul-21
What's really sad is the CPW are using CWD as an excuse for increasing deer tags and extending rifle deer season dates in the rut to potentially harvest more bucks. It's really a sad time for mule deer in Colo!

30-Jul-21
Interesting article, but why are we freaking out about CWD again? The article posted is about people exposing themselves to CJD, which is known to infect humans, so there are really no surprises there. The last line of the article also states that they know of only ONE researcher in France who resigned because they were worried about it. In other news, CJD occurs at a rate of ~.000001% in the US population, your odds are better of dying by pretty much any other means you could imagine.

30-Jul-21
With as long as CWD has been around and how many deer/elk have been consumed over all these years don't you think that it would have been already discovered to cross over to humans if it could!!?? With today's media environment of fear mongering, and the constant attack by anti-hunters why wouldn't they, AGAIN, start putting out subliminal statements to fear people into not hunting meat? One of the top CWD experts at CSU stated years ago that if it could cross over it would be a one in one billion chance, and the perfect genetic markers would have to be present, and the experts still agree on these odds. This disease is a huge issue for deer family than humans!

03-Aug-21
I thought CWD stood for Climate Warming Doom...

03-Aug-21
KsRancher and Mark S, do you two work together to spread fear about CWD amongst the hunting community in chat forums?! Because the article has almost nothing do with CWD in ungulates in Saskatchewan and Alberta. It’s about Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in a lab in France! Why even bother posting that in a hunting chat room like bowsite?

To quote,” PARIS—Five public research institutions in France have imposed a 3-month moratorium on the study of prions—a class of misfolding, infectious proteins that cause fatal brain diseases—after a retired lab worker who handled prions in the past was diagnosed with Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD), the most common prion disease in humans.”

And then to inflate the whole article to say maybe we shouldn’t eat venison and CWD maybe wiping out caribou!?! Ridiculous! Who the heck are you two? Purposely posting fear mongering bullcrap!

03-Aug-21
It's too bad it's not linked to climate change, if it were we'd already know the solution. Shame that nothing seems to be linked to climate change....

03-Aug-21
Make no mistake about it, fear mongering about CWD is one of the greatest threats to the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation and crap like this is where the fear is seeded and the flames are fanned! Sometimes even unintentionally by well meaning but misguided biologists and hunters. CWD has been in Colorado for over 60 years now and Saskatchewan for over 30, and they continue to be two of the best places for mule deer in the world.

What is the universal cure for CWD? Kill all the ungulates and be afraid to eat them and the killing never, ever, ever makes CWD go away but it sure as hell ruins all the hunting and any semblance of proper wildlife management. Hmmm…

03-Aug-21
CWD is being used as an excuse to wipe out one of the best mule deer herds on earth

04-Aug-21
In another news outlet, this article was accompanied by a photo of a deer's brain and the TSE's effect on it. It was misleading, but I originally thought when reading it that the CWD disease had made the jump to humans before understanding it was about CJD.

04-Aug-21
You guys still playing the CWD game....?

04-Aug-21
CWD = Chronic Worrying Disorder

04-Aug-21
Our best hope is that the Wuhan lab doesn't receive US funding to do gain-of-function research on CWD prions like they did for the SARS virus... They did a good job with that one.

04-Aug-21
It’s good to see on bowsite that people are too smart to buy into Mark S’s propaganda posting about CWD! Maybe he works for the Wuhan lab?

04-Aug-21
Covid-19 is way more catchy than CWD...

04-Aug-21
Mike - The article saw came from the Globe and Mail by Bob Weber from Edmonton of the Canadian press published on July 15.

09-Aug-21
I have not heard of such a disease before. Being a scientist is hard. Science is constantly changing, and you should definitely keep up with the times. I really want to be a scientist in chemical sciences, but mathematics is very difficult for me. I am doing homework using a https://edubirdie.com/do-my-math-homework where experts will your math homework. You just need to choose a performer and give him a clear task. This article just shocked me. From the Internet, I learned that this disease in humans is rare, but it is no less dangerous than this.

09-Aug-21
It is rare in humans because it has never occurred.. Ever.

09-Aug-21
CJD is not CWD.

• Sitka Gear