Jim Moore 17-Aug-21
Elkpacker1 19-Aug-21
Treeline 19-Aug-21
11-Aug-21

midwest's Link

11-Aug-21
Thanks

11-Aug-21
While I agree much of that is good for us, why is it on an infrastructure bill?

11-Aug-21
Forgive me if I withhold judgement on the outcome of this giant spending until we see how it goes.

12-Aug-21
"The bill allocates $350 million to fund a wildlife-friendly roadway crossings program.

I question how useful these "wildlife crossings" truly are. Here in Colorado, the CPW, CDOT , and several other partners funded a Wildlife Crossing Project on a 11 mile stretch of Highway 9 between Silverthorn and Kremmling. Supposedly, a 5 year study of the 7 wildlife crossing structures showed them to be "highly effective". I've driven that stretch dozens of times since the project was completed, and I have never seen a single animal using those crossings. I've even stopped at a few of the crossings to see if there were any trails or other evidence of animals using them and I found none.

Based on what I've seen, it was a typical "feel good" waste of taxpayers money. Are any of you familiar with these type projects, and do they actually work?

Matt

12-Aug-21
Bottom line...if the government is in control of it, it'll most likely be a train wreck.

Maybe one day people will wake up to this fact.....maybe.....

12-Aug-21
Much of it will go to large political donors companies and will be used as a re-election slush fund. Just like the large sum of Covid funds to buy off the teachers unions.

People still ask why the Obama stimulus didn’t work. Most of it was spent on phony “shovel ready” political cronyism “green” technology. Many got rich and the economy still suffered.

But hey it was all About who acts like they care more. Not about results. And unfortunately many still only care that their feelings are no longer hurt.

So all is good

12-Aug-21
Executive Summary The State Highway 9 (SH 9) Colorado River South Wildlife and Safety Improvement Project in Grand County was designed by the Colorado Department of Transportation (CDOT) and partners to improve motorist safety by reducing wildlife-vehicle collisions (WVC) while providing opportunities for wildlife to move beneath and over SH 9 through wildlife crossing structures. Prior to the project, WVC were the most common accident type on this segment of highway, accounting for 60% of all accidents reported to law enforcement. In response to these concerns and with partner support, CDOT installed two wildlife overpass structures, five wildlife underpasses, 10.4 miles of eight-foot-high wildlife exclusion fencing, 61 wildlife escape ramps, and 29 wildlife guards to help reduce WVC while providing safe passages for wildlife. This research study evaluates the effectiveness of the mitigation infrastructure through the use of motion activated cameras and analyses of WVC carcass and accident data. The study maintained a total of 62 motion-triggered cameras at 40 locations in Year 3 to record animal movements and responses to the mitigation. Cameras were placed at crossing structure entrances and in the nearby habitat, at wildlife guards, escape ramps, and the south fence end. This progress report focuses on post-construction monitoring from December 2015 through April 2018. Mule deer activity and success movements through or over the wildlife crossing structures increased each winter (Fig. E-1) resulting in a total of 45,759 mule deer success movements over the course of the study. From Winter 2016-17 to Winter 2017-18, the overall success rate for mule deer passage increased slightly from 96% to 97%. The total number of mule deer success movements increased by 17%, suggesting that the mitigation is succeeding in improving connectivity for mule deer across SH 9. In each year of the study, mule deer activity was highest during the winter months, corresponding with deer presence on winter range; however, some deer remained in the study area throughout the year. Among each of the crossing structure locations, mule deer activity varied substantially and patterns in crossing structure use also varied relative to the previous winter. Overall, mule deer use of wildlife crossing structures ranged from an average of 5 to 36.9 mule deer success movements per day in Winter 2017-18

12-Aug-21
Thanks Paul,

I read that report, too, but wondered why it didn't jive with my own observations. Admittedly, I drive that stretch far more in the summer and fall months than I do in the winter, so maybe that accounts for why I never see any animals using those crossings.

Matt

12-Aug-21
"Bottom line...if the government is in control of it, it'll most likely be a train wreck. Maybe one day people will wake up to this fact.....maybe....."

Just summed up the entire thread in the most efficient manner possible.

12-Aug-21
Grey Ghost by “highly effective” they meant that it was highly effective at funneling money to their buddies that got the contracts to build the crossings.

17-Aug-21
Matt, we have those wildlife crossings here in Nevada, especially in my neck of the woods. Hwy 93 north of Wells, Nv. has two crossings and two tunnels. I-80 east of Wells has two crossings and one or two tunnels as well.

NDOW has video of the animals actually using those tunnels and crossings. There were a lot of animal accidents on those roads due to migration.

Do they work a 100%? Not sure. They do put those high fences for a few miles each way to funnel them in, and some of the animals use them. I think it is changing migration and winter patterns a bit though. Seem to find sheds where you never did before.

19-Aug-21
I have seen them here in WA state along 90. Nothing uses them

19-Aug-21
I was driving that HWY south of Kremmling twice a week for two years back and forth to Denver. Usually early mornings on Mondays and late evenings on Thursday or Friday. Saw deer using the crossings. Would really help down by Green Mountain Reservoir if the would do more of it. As soon as you get south of the fenced area and net the lake, lots of deer and elk on the road for the next 10 miles or so, especially in the winter.

• Sitka Gear