Buffalo1 03-Sep-21
TGbow 03-Sep-21
cwater 03-Sep-21
cwater 04-Sep-21
2Wild Bill 04-Sep-21
Steve H. 04-Sep-21
Buffalo1 04-Sep-21
03-Sep-21
Hello everyone! I am 33 years old, and if everything keeps going as planned I will have my house paid off right around my 34th birthday...and be 100% debt free! I can't wait to get to that point! With that being said, I want to go on a BIG bucket list hunt, and Hawaii has been at the top for a while. I should hopefully have plenty of vacation time saved up by then, and was thinking about trying to hunt DIY as many animals as possible. I would like to pick anyone's brain who has done this! I know you have to go to different islands to find different species, so i'm unsure of the best way to go about it!

Look forward to hearing from some people!

03-Sep-21
First time I’ve seen the words ‘bucket list hunt’ and ‘Hawaii’ but to each his own. I imagine a little hog hunting, exotic hunting and spearfishing would be pretty cool. Good luck!

03-Sep-21
I didn't hunt when I was there, but make sure you take snorkel gear and hit the free beaches/reefs!!!

03-Sep-21
cwater, congrats on being nearly debt free! There's nothing like it and that's quite an accomplishment at your age. I don't know the first thing about hunting in Hawaii but best of luck to you in your adventures!

03-Sep-21
^^^^^Deerhunter72 X2! Congrats on your accomplishment, cwater!

Hopefully, some of the guys that have hunted Hawaii will chime in.

03-Sep-21
Axis deer are very plentiful on the island of lanai. You will need go to Hawaii license website and apply for an exemption card to buy a license. Its easy to do and you will need to provide proof of hunter safety to be eligible. I had an Axis hunt lined up last year when pandemic hit. Hawaii governor seemed to make it clear they didnt want ANY non-residents on their islands. I eventually said the heck with it and now i plan to go to Spanish Wells next summer instead. Wont spend my money in Hawaii, even though i really wanted to kill an Axis buck there. Also plenty of hogs and feral goats on some of the islands as well. Good luck on your trip!

03-Sep-21
Was stationed in Hawaii for three years 86-89. Big Island had/has Parker Ranch (private ranch not an outfitter). Hogs, goats, and I think game birds. I never had the opportunity to hunt there, however, did see the goats and hogs.

03-Sep-21
Thanks everyone for the words! @pat… it may not be my TOP bucket list but it’s up there… being able to shoot exotics without being behind a fence is what has my interest! I’m from KS and killed plenty of whitetail and it’s time for me to spread my wings and start chasing other critters!

03-Sep-21
Thanks everyone for the words! @pat… it may not be my TOP bucket list but it’s up there… being able to shoot exotics without being behind a fence is what has my interest! I’m from KS and killed plenty of whitetail and it’s time for me to spread my wings and start chasing other critters!

03-Sep-21

BowSniper's embedded Photo
BowSniper's embedded Photo
Never hunted there... but put on your bucket list to hike to the top of Diamondhead (needed to bring a flashlight back in the day)

Don't be afraid to jump the little safety rail at the very top and run around the rim of the old volcano. The old WWII observation posts are cool bits of history!

03-Sep-21
I think TD is the guy with the answers on here. And 808Bowhunter (maybe 805). They were both very helpful for me a couple years ago. I didn’t end up hunting though. Just a lot of fishing.

03-Sep-21

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Spanish goat
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
Spanish goat
Do it

03-Sep-21
I think TD is the guy with the answers on here. And 808Bowhunter (maybe 805). They were both very helpful for me a couple years ago. I didn’t end up hunting though. Just a lot of fishing.

03-Sep-21
Hunted Hawaii for 20yrs or more. Lanaii is in soot is like looking at Mars surface. Plenty Mouflon Sheep and Big Axis. Have a state bow only area there only 75$ a yr. Deer are in there and a lot of them. The Maui launch is right by Bow Area. Good Surf at Menele on SW or West swell. When its big its a double overhead left the peels off point by the He’au.

When the Keawe’ beans are in season the deer pack in bow area. You kill one in there with a Trad or selfbow consider yourself a world class bow hunter..

Molokai has tons of deer but unless you know some one you would have tough time there. The ranch closed on west side years ago. Use to have free range black buck. Love to eat black buck!

Maui has Axis and Goat. Have to hunt on Private though. No public.

Big Isle has Mouflon and goat, pig. Public of Gvt land up off saddle Rd.

Zap

03-Sep-21

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Buffalo1's embedded Photo
One of about 10 that I stalked on a golf course. I had a bet on with a guy in a golf pro shop that I could get w/i bow range and photo with my cell phone. I won the bet.

I have seen much game in Hawaii, but I don’t think I would be going to Hawaii to hunt- but that’s just me personally. Have been to 5 islands. Each has its own personality with the different eco-systems - beaches to mountain peaks.

Mama’s Fish House- Maui. Some of the best local seafood in the world and breathtaking sunsets !!!

03-Sep-21
My son's home base was Hawaii , 2006 ro 2010 while in the Marines..they hunted hogs mostly. He did tell me it was hard to access land to hunt other game but that may have been just a certain area. Congrats on the debt free thing..thats my goal also

03-Sep-21
Buffalo…. Just curious as to why you wouldn’t hunt Hawaii?

04-Sep-21
Buffalo…. Just curious as to why you wouldn’t hunt Hawaii?

04-Sep-21

2Wild Bill's embedded Photo
2Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Maybe six years ago I went to Maui for a wedding and tried planning a DIY hunt. I noticed a bow hunting area only four miles from the inn where we booked. Problem for me was the elevation was 8,000ft up. I used a Google satellite search and it never showed me the private houses that dotted the landscape higher up on the volcano. The higher elevation is where the monied people live. So, I booked a four hour pig hunt with dogs and had a blast. We scoured a deserted pineapple plantation, lost two dogs that probably went off on a pig track without notice and hiked/drove through some of the most beautiful scenery ever. With no fences there is no guarantee of game. https://www.lopakasalohaadventures.com/maui-pig-hunting

Be sure to view the videos on the website. Aloha! Oh yeah, you have to get approval for your hunting license in advance so do it well before you leave of the islands. The sea turtles swim almost to within arms reach at the beach. Take a good camera and the helicopter rides are worth it. I never wanted to go to Hawaii, now I would jump at the chance to return.

04-Sep-21
I've hunted 5 of the Hawaiian Islands. When I lived in Alaska it was the easiest place to get to except Seattle and Portland and who wants to go there? Some years I'd even go twice. I generally concentrated on goats but have also shot "peeg" (their are no "hawgs" in Hawaii), feral sheep, Kalij pheasant, and lava leopard.

04-Sep-21
I didn’t hunt because I was on anniversary trips. I wanted to continue to have anniversaries.

Happy anniversaries trips lead to future happy hunting trips !!

I can hunt any animal that lives in Hawaii in the state of Texas.

• Sitka Gear