bghunter 01-Apr-24
Blood 02-Apr-24
Nyati 02-Apr-24
Norseman 02-Apr-24
bghunter 02-Apr-24
Blood 02-Apr-24
bghunter 02-Apr-24
03-Oct-21
So I am less then one year away from retirement. Wife and I would like to move from WI to Florida. I have numerous mounts, red stag, mt lion, africa animals ducks and a 12 foot gator to move. What have those of you who have moved with numerous mounts done ? If you hired someone what type of cost were you looking at ?

03-Oct-21

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Just moved this year with a ton of shoulder mounts. Built a huge crate and mounted all the mounts through the walls. Put it on a pair of moving wheels. Backed the uhaul up to the garage and used the fourwheeler winch to get it in the uhaul. Easy as pie, kinda.

03-Oct-21
Millie and I moved from TX to TN 7 years ago and brought all 45+ mounts of hers with us including two 1/2 whitetails, 2 lifesize bears, a 10' gator and a pedestal red stag.

The bears, gator, and a couple more were crated by our mover. We laid 15 whitetail mounts, two 1/2 life bears plus the 1/2 life bucks were loaded into a 12x6 enclosed trailer and brought with us. Others were packed into dish cartons and wardrobes and loaded into the moving van.

We used moving pads (a bunch of them) to wrap the whitetail mounts and stacked them like cord wood. Everything made the 900 mile drive without a scratch.

03-Oct-21
I moved about 25 heads, myself. I rented a Penske van, a larger one. I screwed 3-4’ 2x4s to the back of each mount and then screwed those 2x4 to the truck floor. I moved like that twice, with zero problems. Plug the holes on the floor with plastic wood when you are done. A mover told me they would crate each head and it would ne $100s just in crates per animal. I believe the van rental was about $2000 plus diesel, from Minnesota to Colorado.

03-Oct-21
Thanks for the ideas. Makes me feel more comfortable that I may be able to do this myself. Buddy just moved and when he told me cost I was floored. That was just from WI to IL without any taxidermy

03-Oct-21
I had a Coastie bud move all of his mounts from Kodiak down to Wisconsin. He built his own moving crate and let the movers take. He had goats, deer, bears, moose and caribou. It worked great.

03-Oct-21
I am hoping I can brib someone into a free expenses paid trip to Fl when we decide to go lol

15-Dec-23
Don’t mean to steal the thread, but moving mounts makes me think……what are your plans with your mounts when you die??

15-Dec-23
I moved to Florida 4 years ago and hate it here , it sucks. Why im moving out of this state and to IOWA . What part of Florida you moving too??

15-Dec-23
why hate florida? i'm sure the hunting isn't great, but the fishing!!!! whew!!!

15-Dec-23
Fishing is awesome !! Where do I start. First off the snow birds, when they show up the traffic goes from horrible to a nightmare. The property taxes have gone sky high. Then you have auto insurance for me and my girlfriend it's like $2,800 for two cars. And of course the weather , this time of year the weather is awesome. Then you have the summer weather, for June-October the weather is unbearable . Morning temps lows 80's and time temps lows 90's for 5 straight months . Then you have to deal with heavy rains almost ever day throughout the summer. So much for a clean truck. Then trying to get someone to service something in your house is a joke. In 2018 was the first time in over 35 years a didn't kill a deer for meat. I wont hunt here, to many snakes and gators around , Hell we had a water moccasin on are front porch two months ago. I can keep going and going. I can't wait to get out of here .

18-Dec-23
Road trip!

18-Dec-23
You’ll have to watch for snakes in more than a few states!:) This was our main entry door a few summers ago, luckily my niece was watching where she was going this time instead of looking at her phone. I would not live in Florida either though. Look for the tail on this one, was biggest we’ve seen, and I’ve killed a few around house. Curious about some of the moving ideas for mounts, as we are looking at a move out of here in a few years.

18-Dec-23
Have to try photo later, when issue is fixed.

18-Dec-23
The dollys work, but you may want to look at the moving costs vs buying new stuff. As to the mounts, move them yourself. As to hunting in Florida, I hunt all over the state and enjoy it. Early season is hot, just the way it is. Snakes are a reality in almost every state. In several areas I hunt, I have never seen a venomous snake but heard from other hunters who have. I know they're there somewhere, and I wear snake boots. In other areas I see them on a regular basis though none posed a real threat so far. Gators will leave you alone if you leave them alone. Although last spring while turkey hunting, I saw a 14-16 footer across a pond on the bank about 30 yards from my set up that made me find another place. It was scary big. Trying to sound like small game with that around just didn't seem like a good idea. As in hunting or fishing for that matter anywhere, just try not to do anything stupid. BG, when you get here, look me up.

18-Dec-23

Bowaddict 's embedded Photo
Bowaddict 's embedded Photo
From post above.

18-Dec-23
Well thanks to interest rates going through the roof, we are going to have to stick out a few more winters here in WI. Just can't justify 6% plus when we are at 2.87 and house almost paid off.

After seeing that snake by the door, I am good with that lol.

Have made 5 trips to FL this year though so still have Fl on my mind lol.

01-Apr-24
I was just reading an article about how Florida was not what some people thought when they moved there so they were moving back to home state.Doubled insurance, high cost of living etc. These were Drs and such with high incomes but said the cost of living was so much higher they were having less after bills than where they lived and made lower wage

01-Apr-24
Buckdeer,

Ended up due to the crazy house prices there combined with the crazy interest rates, we decided to stay in WI and see where things go.

They say everything happens for a reason and this one may have saved us a ton of money in the long run.

02-Apr-24
Bg, if your house is almost paid off….why don’t you buy the next house with cash?? You’ve got to have some good equity in it by now, no? Why would take out another mortgage on a new home?

02-Apr-24
I had about 50 mounts from deer to life size african lions, grizzlies, etc.

My taxidermist and I rented a u haul and he built a frame inside to hang and hold mounts. Took us a couple trips. With a bigger trailer may have done it all at once. We used lots of moving blankets for padding . Fortunately when he mounted bigger animals like moose and caribou he did them with detachable antlers

02-Apr-24
Time to downsize and declutter

02-Apr-24
Blood,

That is what we are looking to do now. House should be paid off in a few years. We hope by theb the Market will be a little better.

We are then thinking of being snow birds and keeping our house in WI and buying a much smaller home or condo in Fl.

02-Apr-24
Good deal. The market better - to buy or sell? It’s pretty darn good to sell right now. Enjoy FL!!

02-Apr-24
I should have clarified, to buy. Your right selling now is great too

• Sitka Gear