Treeline 21-Oct-21
Cornpone 21-Oct-21
Jeff Durnell 21-Oct-21
TD 21-Oct-21
Jeff Durnell 22-Oct-21
Cornpone 22-Oct-21
ELKMAN 24-Oct-21
19-Oct-21
How much better is a dedicated sausage stuffer than a meat grinder/stuffer for making sausage? I have a Cabelas Grinder /Stuffer and it does okay but, I am about to invest in a dedicated stuffer thinking it would be more efficient for making sausage. Give me your opinions for those that have each,

19-Oct-21
I used to do it with my grinder and the texture was off.

Really didn’t like that method. Got a sausage stuffer and will never go back! World of difference! Love it!

Also, you will want a mixer if you are doing a lot of sausage. I make a lot of different sausages every year and finally broke down and got one… Also a great investment! Saves frozen hands from mixing a ton of meat!

19-Oct-21
For those weighing in, if you could add which stuffer you use. I just use cabelas commercial stuff as my go-to for the grinder, slicer etc. and it’s been great, but I’ve heard their stuffer is not desirable. Doesn’t have great reviews either

19-Oct-21
The recent grinder thread & now this. Plus all the jerky threads I'm curious cause I never hear it mentioned. Does anyone do old world type salami. The type cured in a controlled environment with culture. Iv read about it but never had the proper environment to cure it. But to make this & not have ever have to be refrigerated or froze would be so awesome. Been doing burger, sausage, jerky for close to 40 years but never done culture cured old world type salami. Anyone have any experience in this ???

20-Oct-21
What Treeline said. There's a difference between what works and what works real well.

Mine is a stainless 7(?) liter of Chinese make from Amazon, Hakka I think? I hate Amazon, but addicted to free shipping to HI. Was fairly inexpensive at the time and works pretty well, should last the rest of my life. Haven't made as much sausage as I used to but with the largest tube it's awesome for filling the ground meat freezer bags/tubes, fills from the back of the bag forward so no air in the bag. Keeps as well as vacuum packed and way less messy. And most normies like that it looks like supermarket packaging. =D

If you're looking, make sure it's got steel gears (the real cheap ones have plastic gear) and a two speed so the return when empty is quick. I like the vertical units mostly because a much smaller footprint on the table/counter. And SS tubes are the way to go even if you have to buy them separately, broken a couple plastic tubes.

And if I get back into making more sausage..... like Treeline said....a mixer is on the list. =D

20-Oct-21
Have used both methods and found I prefer dedicated sausage press compared to grinder with a foot control. Mine happens to be antique 6 lber from 3 generations What I found handy is a foot control for grinder. That way u can grind ( course ) and bag in one step. Then if u have the tape machine u twist seal n cut in 1 motion, 1- 1 1/4 packages. I make ring bologna, sausages , snack sticks, etc and started using Con-Agra products, they are located around Pittsburgh ,Pa I'm sure there others just as good, using their receipts and seasonings. Nice thing they have a processing book for all their products including venison products free to seen line or they will send u one if you call them

20-Oct-21
Have used both methods and found I prefer dedicated sausage press compared to grinder with a foot control. Mine happens to be antique 6 lber from 3 generations What I found handy is a foot control for grinder. That way u can grind ( course ) and bag in one step. Then if u have the tape machine u twist seal n cut in 1 motion, 1- 1 1/4 packages. I make ring bologna, sausages , snack sticks, etc and started using Con-Agra products, they are located around Pittsburgh ,Pa I'm sure there others just as good, using their receipts and seasonings. Nice thing they have a processing book for all their products including venison products free to seen line or they will send u one if you call them

20-Oct-21

Nomad @ work's Link
I've found a separate stuffer makes a better sausage. I've used a few different ones in the past but this is the one I'm currently using & couldn't be happier. The only thing I'd say about this one is to fill it only a third to a half full when doing anything with small casings. Like sticks.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183360396939?hash=item2ab1219e8b:g:s90AAOSwIbVhNdiF

20-Oct-21

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
When I do snack sticks I use my jerky gun with a modified spout to fit.

When I do summer sausage I use my grinder - it works - but a stuffer is better. But I don’t have one.

20-Oct-21

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo

20-Oct-21
I’m using the LEM 10# Big Bite stuffer. Works great but tough for one person to operate.

Would love to have their 30# motorized stuffer, but at $1000, a bit steep.

I’ve got the manual mixer from LEM as well. I think it is 20#. Will be using it this week and try to give a review on how it works. Gotta be better than mixing by hand!

20-Oct-21

Treeline's embedded Photo
Stuffing summer sausage
Stuffing summer sausage

20-Oct-21
i got a 15lb stuffer. i could never go back to using the grinder to stuff with.

i use it for for filling the 1 to 2lb chubs for ground meat than anything. very little mess and it fills those tubes really tight - and i like the way they store - and they thaw out fast. i also make summer sausage and other sausages from time to time...

20-Oct-21

Stuffing German link sausages
Stuffing German link sausages

20-Oct-21
Dedicated stuffer. First reason is less usage of the grinder motor improving the longevity of its use. Second reason is someone can be stuffing while you're grinding to cut down on overall time. If not, it's easier to stuff by yourself and can do batches of whatever size stuffing "hopper" tube you have.

I have the Hakka Brothers (15 lb) as well and it's Japan and not China I believe. Much more cost effective and just as much quality as the LEM products.

20-Oct-21
Treeline, I use a clamp and clamp my stuffer firmly to the table, makes one handed operation a lot easier! I have the similar size model from Walton's.

20-Oct-21
I've i have the 10 or 15lb stuffer and its worked great so far. Best tip I ever received is to give your freshly cooked snack sticks a quick ice water bath. The quick cool down causes the casing to adhere to the meat much better. I was worried it would take some of the smokey flavor away but it doesn't.

20-Oct-21

20-Oct-21
Thanks, Brotsky! Will do that this week on the elk:-)

Hancock, I like to make sausage when I have snow banks. Pull em out and toss em in the snow for a few hours till they cool out. Works great, especially since my outside water faucets are usually frozen…

May need to look into the Hakka brand and upgrade…

20-Oct-21

Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Ok...Russ's embedded Photo
Ben, since I don't process as much as others, I went a more economical route on my stuffer. I believe it's a Grizzly 15lb'r and works like a champ for us. Dedicated stuffer is the only way to go(as others have hands down mentioned).

I took a 1/2" board, sanded, laminated then drilled holes to mount the stuffer. Holes are counter-sunk so when clamped to table there isn't any scratching underneath.

20-Oct-21
I really like that idea, OK…

20-Oct-21
For the guy who stuff with a grinder, do you single or double-grind?

20-Oct-21
^^^ I designate some meat for sausage so I just single grind and then use the triangle plate when doing sausage

20-Oct-21
Danac, I double grind for sausages and single grind for burger.

20-Oct-21
Depends on what you're making/grinding on how many times you grind. It will also depend on the grind plate you use for each grind. If you stuff with a grinder, grind twice and then use the stuffing plate (sometimes called a "kidney" plate) to keep it from emulsifing too much.

20-Oct-21
When doing burger mixture I use the 3/8 hole plate & alternate pork & venison then mix in large pot. Then grind again with small hole plate. For sausage we use our normal 20% pork butt to venison blend & add spices seasonings and bacon grease then run through girinder with triangle plate & stainless caseing tube.

20-Oct-21
Stuffer all the way. I just got a 15 lb Hakka. It seems to be a quality piece.

21-Oct-21
I use a 10 lb LEM stuffer and do clamp it firmly to the table. It helps to have two people to do sausage stuffing. It takes some strength to crank the stuffer if the meat texture is dryer and you want it to turn out firmer. Just my opinion. I am considering buy the mixer as well. Would save time and add consistency to finished product. Timex, I have wondered about the old world salami or products like slim jims that are slow cured. I think a fellow probably needs to really know what he is doing with that or someone's going to get sick. I think they use long drying times with controlled drying temps. Probably some cultures or starters in there. Bet there is a book about it somewhere. GTS

21-Oct-21
The art making of salami is called Charcuterie. Just Google it & there's plenty of info. Basically ya add culture (good bacteria) to the meat mixture put in caseings then for the culture to work it has to cure or o believe its referred to as ferment at a certain temp & humidity for several days. Then often it's smoked as well to finish the process. How it works is once the culture or good bacteria does its thing there's nothing left for bad bacteria to feed on so is not attracted to it & no refrigeration required. Lots of venison recipes for this iv just never had the controlled environment to try it.

21-Oct-21

timex's embedded Photo
timex's embedded Photo

21-Oct-21

Texas style German dry
Texas style German dry
Salamis
Salamis
I bet that place smells wonderful, timex!

I’ve done smoked, dried sausages (Texas dry, pepperonis) that are similar to the way salamis are cured but without the addition of the bacteria. Just curing salt (Morton’s Tender Quick I’m my recipes).

21-Oct-21
Yes I use tender quick in making jerky & depending on the conditions will last a few weeks un refrigerated before getting mold. But still not the same

21-Oct-21
I froze all that dried sausage because I was concerned with that issue. Kind of a fine line. Definitely need to learn some of the methods of preservation that don’t require refrigeration…

21-Oct-21
When making summer sausage I run seasoned venison/pork once thru the 3/16" plate then install the stuffer plate. My wife operates the grinder, turning on/off as necessary, while I manipulate the casing/stuffing process. Works fine for me. I see no reason to buy a dedicated stuffer.

21-Oct-21

Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
I got this old school stuffer for $50 from the guy I bought an old Hobart grinder from. He just wanted rid of it. Didn't know if I'd ever use it because I always used my old cheapo grinder to stuff sausage. So glad I gave it a try. I'll never use anything else. One man operation. Peace of cake. No air in the casing or trying to stop it at the right time, etc.

21-Oct-21
Pretty cool.... Coach won't let me hang my tools up in the kitchen..... no matter how much I argue that pegboard is really art deco..... =D

Now THAT'S a stuffer mate.... have a great appreciation for the antique/semi-antique tools and gear.

22-Oct-21
I hear ya TD, mine wouldn't either. Lol Obviously that's my work bench in the garage. I got used kitchen cabinets on Craigslist, reinforced them with vertical steel supports down to the floor, then used synthetic surfaced bowling alley lanes for the bench tops. You could drop an engine block on that sucker and it wouldn't budge and no matter what I've done to it or spilled on it so far, it wipes right off and looks like new. Pretty amazing stuff. Used the same stuff to make an even nicer one down in the bow shop.

22-Oct-21
I should add an addendum. If I stuffed as many sausages/hot dogs/pepperonis/salamis etc. as some of you do I'm sure a dedicated stuffer would be the way to go. But mine being some occasional salamis I don't feel the need for an additional purchase.

24-Oct-21
Night and day difference. My stuffer is absolutely the best investment I ever made in meat equipment. Saves your grinder by double. Stuffing is by far the hardest thing on your grinder. Takes forever and creates a massive amount of heat.

• Sitka Gear