Jaquomo 27-Oct-21
Orion 27-Oct-21
Bowfreak 27-Oct-21
elkster 27-Oct-21
WapitiBob 27-Oct-21
elkster 29-Oct-21
Overland 29-Oct-21
25-Oct-21
I'm looking for an alternative to Onx and earth mate services for iPhone Earthmate has been unreliable, Onx hunt does not work on my phone but does work on my laptop. They are no help 'tall.

25-Oct-21
Gaia GPS

25-Oct-21
I'll check out gaia.

25-Oct-21
What is wrong with your Earthmate? Mine has been working with zero issues for years and years. Try deleting the App and adding it again. Be sure you update it periodically and check that it's working before you need to use it as well.

25-Oct-21
Gaia GPS user here. Been using it since 2018 or so. Very satisfied and they continue to add layers. Cheaper than OnX. And covers every state in the package. (Works great off line/airplane mode as long as you cache the maps/satellite views when online.)

25-Oct-21
"Try deleting the App and adding it again".

It works. I actually had to do this with Gaia recently, because it was not updating my online map info to the phone. Just make sure your existing waypoints are backed up, or accessible online.

25-Oct-21
I am guessing the issue with both is between the iphone and your seat. I have had onx for years on Iphones. In the begin it had some bugs. But last few years it been flawless. Last time it was bugging out a little I called them they said make sure it is updated and keep it updated since I've been sure to always update when a update comes out I have had zero issues.

25-Oct-21
How old is your phone? Sometimes the phone's software package is outdated and apps don't work quite right.

Have used Onx for years with zero problems, and, it's very affordable if you do it right...

25-Oct-21
Gaia gps is what I have been using for many years

25-Oct-21
Gaia is the best IMHO. I run both OnX and Gaia.

25-Oct-21
Another vote for Gaia. Works well and is inexpensive.

25-Oct-21
My two pennies.....

1. X2 on the phone may be older and won't work with OnX. If so, get a new phone?

2. If anyone is a military or LE bubba....you can get OnX (and many other great deals) pretty cheap thru Expert Voice.

25-Oct-21
^^^ or just go directly to OnX. Guidefitter and Expertvoice don't normally offer discounts you can't get on your own straight from the supplier...

26-Oct-21
Nick, I have deleted and reinstalled. Even the support staff said they can't understand why it continues to crash and want to get an engineer involved. I've synced, etc... But at least they will talk to customers UNLIKE ONX which only refers me to canned tutorials through email. They don't know my account works on laptop but I can't log in on phone and are willing to lose a customer instead of "reaching out". John, how did you call ONX?

26-Oct-21
GAIA is very user friendly and affordable.

Does everything OnX does a lot cheaper and without the service glitches.

26-Oct-21
I use both OnX and Gaia (because I have buddies that use both)

Gaia maps use waaaay less storage on your phone than onx. The aerial mapping isn’t what Gaia is but it works.

26-Oct-21
I’ve used onX since the chip days, love having all my waypoints from nearly a decade of hunts in one place. Love the downloaded sat images with topo overlay for no cell service. I used Gaia one year because everyone raved it was better but I didn’t really see anything better about it. Likely as simple as sticking with what you know (ie android vs iPhone which is better).

What phone do you have? I’ve literally never had one single issue with onX or Earthmate on my iPhones over the years (currently using iPhone X).

26-Oct-21
Gaia blows away OnX....IMO. Steeper learning curve but once you learn all the things you can do and how to set up your layers, you'll never look back. Treeline Pursuits E-Scouting Master Class has a section devoted to Gaia which is worth the price of the course. The money you save on the subscription vs. OnX will pay for the course pretty quick.

27-Oct-21
Like I said it was a few years ago. I’d guess I went to the their website and found a number but as companies grow they can be more difficult to talk with. If number not there anymore not sure what to tell ya.

27-Oct-21
GAIA. No contest. The whole world coats what one state does with onx

27-Oct-21
View Ranger is free and works really well for me. It probably has more features that I don't use like tracking my route and so on. You can lay in a bunch of different maps.

27-Oct-21
I've been happy with "Hunstand" for my GPS and stand tracking/topo needs.

27-Oct-21
Early on I had trouble with Gaia, and the CEO reached out to me personally to get it resolved, then gave me a free one year premium subscription for a year.

Contrast with OnX - I discovered a couple sections of National Forest which OnX incorrectly showed as "Rocky Mountain National Park". After the numerous attempts to contact customer service, the response was pretty much, "ehh, we will probably correct it with an update in the future".

I use both now, but like cnelk says, I much prefer the offline Gaia maps because they use less than 1/10 the memory of OnX maps.

27-Oct-21
Gaia and it is not even close. Once you figure it out it is way better then ONx, its cheaper, and the customer service is way better. Gaia's offline maps also work much better and take up less memory on your phone.

27-Oct-21
I've been using Gaia for a while and I like it, but I recently switched to Basemap. I don't use a ton of features on these programs but I really like Basemaps hi res maps and as a whitetail hunter I like the wind feature. For my all around hunting I believe Basemap offers more than Gaia and it is very intuitive.

27-Oct-21
Thanks for the responses, all. I'll check out gaia, hunt stand, and view ranger. Btw, I'm using iPhone 10.

27-Oct-21
" John, how did you call ONX?"

google onx customer service

29-Oct-21
Thanks Bob. I assumed the number would listed on the homepage. Tried googling it and saw a number and will try it when they open later this a.m.

29-Oct-21
Another vote for Gaia. Hands down better than OnX. Get the Premium version.

• Sitka Gear