Drop Tine 10-Nov-21
wv_bowhunter 15-Nov-21
kota-man 15-Nov-21
DanaC 16-Nov-21
Sidekick 16-Nov-21
wv_bowhunter 17-Nov-21
Knifeman 17-Nov-21
01-Nov-21
I think it's time to update my gear for treestand hunting in northern WI. Looking for recommendations on quiet and reasonably warm. I'm generally pretty able to stay warm so I don't necessarily need super heavy. Windproof or wind resistant are a big plus. I'm 6' 5" and 240# with a 7 wingspan so much of the fan boy gear is sized too small. What's your favorite?

On a side note, I used to have some windshear sweaters that I absolutely loved as a layering item. Cabela's used to make one but I can't find anything any more. Anyone know of a windproof fleece or sweater?

Go!

Thanks guys.

01-Nov-21
Yeah I’ll second that. Fanatic is truly an outstanding whitetail sitting piece. I replaced the 1st generation with the new one a couple years ago and I’m super happy. You didn’t mention budget so I’m not sure it fits. But as for the fan boy thing, I don’t think the fanatic is really athletic fit so much like their active wear. It’s a nice comfy fit I find. But you may need to try it on to see

01-Nov-21
Heated vest. I have not viewed comparisons between vests. But I own a Pnuma and it helps take the chill out. I usually kick it on ~ 1 hour after I start sit. If I generated any sweat, I will kick it on a little earlier. It won't last a full day, but I also have a spare battery.

01-Nov-21
Sitka Fanatic jacket and bibs all day long.

Before I bought that I hunted Ontario one year in early November. Used a Heater Bodysuit and I worked very well.

Best of luck!

01-Nov-21
I will also get behind the Sitka Fanatic as the ultimate set of whitetail clothing. It simply is. The cost of it is very prohibitive, but what shocks me is how much $ the "rest" is. Your no name "Rocky" brand stuff is also hundreds of dollars.

if you are looking to get your warmth from multiple cheaper layers I would buy something heated and put it underneath other layers. Fleece is great for warmth retention, but when my outer layer was fleece and it was windy I would wear a wind layer underneath. But for whitetails, man, you can't beat the Fanatic.

01-Nov-21
Heated vest x2 . I bought an Arris on Amazon and it works great

01-Nov-21
DayOne will fit the bill. Lots to choose from.

02-Nov-21
I'm an old guy and have acquired a LOT of hunting clothes over the decades. I would have saved money to just get the Sitka Fanatic gear had it been available way back when. Of course I wouldn't have been able to afford it then but . . . at least I have it now and it really is good stuff. And being old, staying warm is harder these days!

02-Nov-21
I'm not a fan of the heated stuff. Extra gear to carry/remember, charging batteries technology changes, failure... I'll stick with regular clothes.

I did break down and order a fanatic from a friend who is a dealer. I was helping a client order some archery gear and told him to just send me one. Only problem is I forgot to remind him I am a lefty. I'll have to call him when I get done hunting.

Any recommendations on a windstoper type sweater or fleece pullover?

02-Nov-21
Another vote for the Sitka Fanatic. I also use a Pnuma heated vest underneath and it is amazing!

02-Nov-21
Another Vote for Fanatic... best money I have ever spent on hunting cloths

02-Nov-21
Marketing strategy or not, Fanatic lives up to the hype. You just have to figure out a good way to pack it in cause it’s too warm to walk much over a 1/4 mile in.

02-Nov-21
I have a jacket/bib set from gray wolf woolens in predator fall gray. They we made in Wisconsin when I bought mine 13 years ago. Good stuff.

02-Nov-21
My new favorite is the fanatic jacket. I own the vest too. I thought I’d like it better. Not so sure now unless I’m rifle hunting. In which I use a homemade woobie. Initially, I thought my arms and shoulders wouldn’t get cold. I was wrong. Tough getting older. Because I’m not so tough anymore.

02-Nov-21
Update. I got the right handed jacket today and took a close look at it to decide if I was going to just return it or exchange it for a lefty. I'm leaning towards just returning it and continuing my search.

I don't care for the sideways zip. The handwarmer pouch that it allows for isn't great in my opinion. Not big enough and not as well insulated as a standalone handwarmer.

I also don't care for the collar. It doesn't seem to lay flat to get out of the way to see and anchor. I generally prefer no collar, but one that I can't get to lay down is a thumbs down.

It doesn't have enough pockets and the only pocket it has isn't secure. If you bend over whatever is in it is coming out.

It appears to be super warm, so that is a bonus. It is also very quiet but that doesn't offset the cons in my opinion.

02-Nov-21
I've been impressed with Huntworths stuff. Won't cost you a tank of gas either.

02-Nov-21
How do I find Kotaman's review?

02-Nov-21
Twinetickler...that was funny!

02-Nov-21
LL Bean has some wind proof sweaters…Waterfowl sweaters. The make two kinds of sweaters and vests. I’ve never had one, lucky enough to still have several Cabelas…when they were great.

03-Nov-21
'warmest' and 'best for hunting' are not the same. I have a down 'mountaineering' parka that is basically a sleeping bag with arms. It's like a 'puffy' on steroids. Nylon shell and useless for hunting. But I can wear it with a tee shirt and be comfortable at ten degrees. Like ice fishing. My understanding is that the Fanatic was designed for bow hunting, as quiet up close as possible. And warm. (Especially when layered with all those other expensive goodies.)

Leaning toward a vest, just watching user reviews.

03-Nov-21
There's only two pockets. The one on the handwarmer pouch that is too small to put much of anything in and the big open one by the shoulder. Anything in it is likely to fall out when you bend over.

03-Nov-21
I would like to see the review mentioned but I have no idea how to find it and mentioned that above. I searched by his name and bowsite and only found a thread asking about a specific jacket.

03-Nov-21
I got the first lite sanctuary bibs and pants 2 years ago. Layer underneath according to the weather and your cold tolerance. They're warm, quiet, zippers are well made and quiet, pockets are perfect and usable. Coat pockets are basically a hand muff also. Probably a touch bulkier than I'd like but allows me to layer underneath. Best whitetail/Treestand purchase I've made.

03-Nov-21
I have the Fanatic 1 and gave it to my wife and now have the Fanatic 2 with the bibs. I love it. On near zero or below days I also use the Pnuma vest. Only thing I don't like about it is the light color. I wear a leafy jacket over it to cover the brightness of it. At the last hour of hunting time I feel like I stick out like a light. Otherwise, IMO the best Whitetail hunting coat around.

03-Nov-21
Coat pockets would not be a deal breaker for me, anything important would be in secured shirt or pants/bib pockets, or a day pack.

10-Nov-21

Drop Tine's Link
Being a Northern WI. hunter myself I use the MT050 Whitetail extreme coat and bibs for the cold stuff. Saved a late season muzzleloader hunt a few years ago where the temps were brutal. Everything froze up at the lodge and out of 6 guys in camp I was the only one that was hunting. I was able to last a good 5-6 hours on stand with this gear and it made the difference. It’s purely for inactive stand hunting or you will cook in it.

15-Nov-21
Sorry if I overlooked it in this thread… but what is everyone using for base and mid layers for treestand sits in cold weather? Say 20-40 for highs.

15-Nov-21
WV…I wear a light merino shirt under the Pnuma vest with the Fanatic hoodie over that. I also purchased the Pnuma heated Long Johns last winter and they are NICE.

I’ve got 1 1/2 seasons in since I did the Cold Weather review. Not much has changed. I find myself wearing the Fanatic set more and more. I still find the Sanctuary warmer than the Fanatic. Had a couple cold sits last week. Rotated the Fanatic with the Sanctuary in similar temps (upper 20’s with lots of wind) and the Sanctuary was warmer. I don’t wear the Incinerator or Blizzard set Bowhunting, but they’re great for rifle and muzzleloader sits. I also still have the KOM Standmaster set but it doesn’t get much use anymore.

One thing I LOVE about the Fanatic is the built in hand muff. I can’t find anything that works better and is more convenient for keeping hands warm. A light glove with a hand Warmer or two in the muff and I’m good to go. The hand warmer pockets on the Sanctuary are pretty slick too, but not as warm as a muff. I was tempted to try the new/improved Sanctuary set, but don’t think it’s worth the upgrade.

16-Nov-21
Will, I have the MTO50 bibs and they are awesome. Too warm before December here. Looking to add a heated vest to my kit, but the other day I saw a friend wearing a heated Milwaukee hoodie, and she says it's great. (And she's one of the the always-cold people ;-) ) Soo...

16-Nov-21
This past Saturday was the 1st time wearing my new Predator Stealth Fleece pants. Plenty warm (was sitting on the ground, 34 degrees) with a wind shear lining, pretty quiet even walking through briers. Might have to get the matching jacket.

17-Nov-21
Good to know Sidekick. I am a Predator fan and very interested in their new Stealth Fleece and Ambush lines.

17-Nov-21

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
I love the Fanatic system also. For really cold and or windy. I’ll add a XXL wool coat over it. I prefer light colors for the wool to breakup my outline.

17-Nov-21

17-Nov-21
Joel, Take a look at the auction sites for the old Wool Mackinaw coats. If you can find one large enough to add down underneath. Some very high quality Woolrich jackets from the 40s, 50s and 60s can be bought cheap.

17-Nov-21
Gray Wolf wolfskin bibs and jacket. Custom made to your stature. You can get windstop and insulation to your liking. Great gear and even better people. I also own the Sitka fanatic bibs, love them but not the jacket. As far as windstop sweaters, look at Sporthill 3sp pullover. Windproof to 35mph and dead quiet. I use it to layer under wool pullovers.

• Sitka Gear