TGbow 07-Nov-21
2Wild Bill 08-Nov-21
RIT 08-Nov-21
TGbow 08-Nov-21
South Farm 09-Nov-21
APauls 09-Nov-21
TGbow 09-Nov-21
07-Nov-21
Ive hunted on the ground 90% of the time in my 46 yrs of bowhunting. After using the M7 some I have come to the conclusion that I like treestands but I just dont like foolin with stuff. Ground hunting allows me to walk in to a spot where I usually have a natural blind set up....and hunt. I think since Im hunting private land now, I will just buy a few M25 stands and just hunt from preset stands or natural ground blinds.

07-Nov-21

TGbow's embedded Photo
TGbow's embedded Photo

07-Nov-21

TGbow's embedded Photo
TGbow's embedded Photo

07-Nov-21

TGbow's embedded Photo
TGbow's embedded Photo

07-Nov-21
That’s a good conclusion.

07-Nov-21
Thats what I prefer too. Couple mobile popup blinds and the rest natural ground blinds. I have great success and love the feeling of being on the animal's level.

07-Nov-21
I will probably get a couple hang ons and preset them. One thing here in south Alabama is in a lot of places I actually lose some shooting area because of the thick canopy , many times I have more of a shooting radius on the ground.

07-Nov-21

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
I like to mix it up, depending on the wind. And what the animals are doing. Lately the ground game is how I’m narrowing down on a few deer. The ASAT leafy suit makes easier to be mobile.

07-Nov-21

This is see Thru brush not a solid wall

07-Nov-21
Jay, I have an ASAT pullover I wear over my clothes...been thinkin bout gettin the leafy suit

07-Nov-21

This is demonstrate what an animal sees and this is even being silhouetted

07-Nov-21

07-Nov-21
Great example Jay. Dad bought us some of the okd Baker stands in the 70s, back then it was easy to hide from deer in a tree but by the 90s I noticed deer in a lot of areas started lookin up more especially on a food plot. That ASAT leafy looks like a good investment for a ground hunter. Its harder to get a shot off sometimes from the ground if they are close but I find it fairly easy to hide on the ground..just have to watch the movement

07-Nov-21
Do you ever hit your leafy "sleeve" with the bowstring, or is the sleeve clear of leaves?

07-Nov-21
Most guys that shoot recurves trim the bow arm or wear an arm guard

07-Nov-21
For private land where I have time to really assess the area and can leave a stand for an extended period I've really taken a liking to small ladder stands.

07-Nov-21
Gregg, Ive actually been thinking about ladder stands. I prefer a ladder stand but it seems the ladder stand would be a little more trouble moving around...but then again I dont plan on putting a stand up to begin with unless I know its a good spot

07-Nov-21
I’m trying an inexpensive 15’ single ladder stand in place of my normal hang on stands and climbing stick set-ups. I’m also doing some serious ground hunting for the 1st time in a long time. I’ve had 10 yard and under encounters the 3 times I’ve sat on the ground with 1 doe missed at 5 yards. Next year I will go back to hang on stands because all the ones I have give so much more range of movement than the ladder stand I have. I can cover everything except maybe a 30degree angle directly behind the tree trunk. The ladder stand foot platform is so small I can stand on it, but can cover far less area to my right, (I’m right handed). If you should invest in a ladder stand and have never shot from I would recommend you try to find someone who has one set up that you can shoot from during the off season to make sure it will fit your needs.

07-Nov-21
Brian, Ive hunted out of a ladder a few times... I have a 13 ft ladder I made in my yard to practice from... but Im no expert with treestands. I like to shoot sittin down if I can. I use a rock climbing harness, I can face the tree and shoot to my off side if I need to with the climbing harness.

08-Nov-21
Lou, I trimmed the leaves on the inside of my bow arm so they don’t get in the way of the string

I have 6 stands out. But sometimes the wind or sudden deer movement changes.

Plus it’s just more exciting being on the ground with them and pulling it off

08-Nov-21
To each his own. My preference is a climbing stand.

08-Nov-21
I have quite a few M25 stands in my arsenal. I like that they come with a lifeline. I find a few every year after the season under $100 delivered. They are heavy but really comfortable. I like that the seat flips out of the way. I usually add a ratchet strap to the top of the seat post because that chain although secure leaves me wanting more security.

08-Nov-21
Ryan, I think the M25 is a good stand for the money..I dont plan on usin them fir mobil setups so I like that they come with a ft rest and the chain. Yes, Ive seen them for 90 to 100 bucks.

09-Nov-21
A couple years ago I was sitting in a Hawk Hang-on contemplating the fact that the only thing that made it a tree stand rather than a trap door to being certainly paralyzed was my trust in the factory crimp some guy I didn't even know, maybe in China, put on those two cables...or maybe some over-zealous squirrel chewed the strap that holds the whole works to the tree almost in two?!? I spend the majority of my time these days hunting from a portable stool, because to my knowledge nobody has ever been killed or maimed hunting from one, but I do hunt from a ladder stand behind the house sometimes, too. They seem safer at least in my mind.

On a side note, anybody that hunts from the ground owes it to themselves to read Dr. Ken Nordberg's Whitetail Almanac series (if you can get your hands on them)...TONS of tips, tactics, and advice on hunting from the ground. No pun intended, but he takes it to a new level than simply plopping a stool on the ground somewhere and calling it ground hunting.

09-Nov-21

APauls's embedded Photo
APauls's embedded Photo
Hey South Farm - hunters have been maimed on the ground a number of times ;)

09-Nov-21
One thing for sure, if you are hooked up the whole time going up n down the chances of you hittin the ground are slim..not impossible but slim. Ive hunted out of ladder stands some and I do feel safer in a ladder myself

• Sitka Gear