wv_bowhunter 10-Nov-21
wv_bowhunter 10-Nov-21
Fields 10-Nov-21
wv_bowhunter 10-Nov-21
deerhunter72 10-Nov-21
APauls 10-Nov-21
Glunt@work 10-Nov-21
10-Nov-21
I am curious if anyone still uses 2-way radios to communicate with your hunting group or family when hunt close to home? Able to text in some places but reception is spotty.

We used to use Motorola Talkabout 250’s that had great range in the hills of Southern WV. They’ve since worn out and broken. It seems that some others I have tried just don’t have the range to carry in and out of the hollers that the Motorola’s had.

Just curious to hear what others may be using and has a decent range, knowing the hills are going to limit them.

10-Nov-21
Double post from iPhone.

10-Nov-21
We used to use the Talkabout 250's back in the day.... Since the cell phone/texting started, they have not been used in years... I guess in places with no cell service its a problem. but almost no where here do we not have service.

10-Nov-21
Looking at the specs those Talkabout 250’s weren’t anything super powerful it doesn’t seem like but they sure worked good.

10-Nov-21
Some of the best times I've ever had hunting was when me, a neighbor and my dad were deer hunting using those talkabouts. This was during the Illinois shotgun seasons 15-20 years ago. Those guys were gun slingers and absolute hell on deer. The term "if it's brown, it's down" was in full effect. They worked great for us but when texting came on the scene those days were over. Should work great in areas with poor cell coverage. We all had the little microphone/ear buds.

10-Nov-21
I use handhelds at the lake. My daughter and her cousins run around and we just give them a radio so they can report in. Works great. We're not the "give your kids a phone" types.

I read a while back that something about the regulation of 2 way radios limits the range on them. Doesn't matter what you pay there is a maximum frequency or whatever they're allowed to transmit at. So it isn't worth spending like crazy. Won't get you any further.

10-Nov-21
The old Talkabout Distance DPS Motorolas were higher powered.

Baofengs are inexpensive and powerful. Over the standard FRS limit.

• Sitka Gear