JL 04-Dec-21
TREESTANDWOLF 04-Dec-21
jdbbowhunter 04-Dec-21
JL 04-Dec-21
Trial153 05-Dec-21
Screwball 05-Dec-21
Screwball 05-Dec-21
02-Dec-21
make a handgun so easily accessible to someone with mental troubles? Parents have to know changes in behavior and notice red flags in their own household. So to go and purchase a firearm just makes no sense unless the parents themselves feared for their safety.

03-Dec-21
Those parents will be charged with unintentional homicide or something like that. The prosecutor woman already said that.

03-Dec-21

TREESTANDWOLF's Link
Here is the charges

03-Dec-21
How about the fact that he was talking about bringing a gun to school, got brought into the office with his parents, then went home got a gun and shot a bunch of people. The parents are absolutely partly to blame, along with the school!

03-Dec-21
He didn’t go home. That’s was the day he did it. Probably had the gun in the pack while in meeting with parents and principal

03-Dec-21
His mom said the gun was his Christmas present that he was playing with early. She knew he had threatened kids and texted him earlier that day, "Please don't do it". Really messed up parents.

03-Dec-21
Kid was drawing pictures of killing people in class. Parents refused to take him home. Later that day he killed those kids. He did have the gun with him. It’s hard to even comprehend.

03-Dec-21
Seems like there has to be some culpability on the parents in this situation

03-Dec-21
After reading the info in the link, it’s my opinion that at least the mother is culpable, and probably the father too. The school officials should have demanded that the kid be taken home at the meeting My wife is the librarian at our high school. Nobody treats this stuff with the importance it deserves. They are too lenient on kids that cause trouble. “In school suspension” is a term that should never have been dreamed up. In case anybody thinks I have all the answers, I don’t. But the school officials don’t even know the questions.

03-Dec-21
Until the punishment for these crimes are more severe expect this stuff to continue to happen. Quit passing the blame and hold the person who pulls the trigger responsible. At some point they need to set an example of such a horrible punishment that it will deter others from it. At this point it's a slap on the hand and some jail time which is a joke. We are too nice in this country sometimes.

03-Dec-21
Idiot kids are typically raised by idiot parents...

03-Dec-21
I have listened to several news clips on this. 1-While in the meeting the school officials "should" have looked in his backpack he had with him 2-While in the meeting the school should have demanded he be sent home 3-Responsible parents "should" have agreed with a request of taking him home (they did not) 4-Responsible parents would have checked to see if the gun was or was not STILL at home 5-Some type law enforcement should have been notified. The texts from the mom & the drawings & searching in class on line for ammo by the kid should have made this a "Critical action must be taken" situation. Several school officials & parents dropped the ball on this one.. ALL contributed in allowing this disaster to happen... Sad for everyone.

03-Dec-21
Why? Because not only was their son a red flag. It appears that both the mother and father were red flags. More facts will come out, and as they do it will show probably nobody in that house should have owned guns.

04-Dec-21
Parents are now in custody.

04-Dec-21
Parents are now in custody.

Whole lot of 'shoulds' in this thread. A word I generally find useless in real life.

04-Dec-21
I thought years ago that a federal law was already passed after a accidently shooting by a child that it was illegal to not have any and all weapons locked and out of childrens reach.There were several kids that found guns and shot there friends.Politicians made a big deal about it and supposedly passed legislation were guns had to be kept out of minors reach.Thats why all guns come with a locking device.

04-Dec-21
Going after gun manufacturers for a criminal's use of their guns in crime is ridiculous.

Going after parents who allow their children access to guns unsupervised makes sense to me.

04-Dec-21
Just a few things I've read so far relating to this case.

1. Michigan currently does not require gun owners to lock their weapons. But there is a bill in the works of the State legislature that would hold parents accountable for not securing their weapons.

2. There is precedent for parents being charged in Michigan. The most recent was in 2018 in the People vs. Head case. The father was charged for allowing his 10 yr old daughter and 9 yr old son access to a loaded shotgun. The daughter fatally shot the son. The father was convicted of involuntary manslaughter, 2nd degree child abuse, felon in possession of a firearm, and possession of a short-barreled shotgun.

3. Out of 105 school shootings since 1999, the guns that were used were taken from the home of the shooter 84 times. In only 4 of those cases, the adult owners of the guns were charged with crimes.

Matt

04-Dec-21
At the arraignment.....IAW the defense lawyers, the gun was locked up. I suppose ya need to know what "locked up" means. That said....if the gun was securely locked up and the kid broke into the place where the gun was locked and took it.....I don't see those specific charges sticking to the parents. Ted Williams said the prosecutor has to prove gross negligence for those level of charges. I don't know......

04-Dec-21

TREESTANDWOLF's Link
Here is the charges

04-Dec-21
Until all facts come out, if they do. Should let investigation play out. I certainly wouldn't put alot of stock in media. Just saying.

04-Dec-21
I think it's ok to armchair speculate and talk about it but I definitely would not draw conclusions on guilt or innocence. Invoke the Hannity Doctrine.....

05-Dec-21
Seems like there has to be some culpability on the parents in this situation

05-Dec-21
Sundowner: (Going after parents who allow their children access to guns unsupervised makes sense to me. ) I am unclear with this statement, are you saying: a 15 year old kid cannot go out in the back of my farm and plink, or squirrel hunt? They do it all the time unsupervised. I understand the outrage but some very slippery slopes on here being thrown out.

05-Dec-21
Sundowner: (Going after parents who allow their children access to guns unsupervised makes sense to me. ) I am unclear with this statement, are you saying: a 15 year old kid cannot go out in the back of my farm and plink, or squirrel hunt? They do it all the time unsupervised. I understand the outrage but some very slippery slopes on here being thrown out.

• Sitka Gear