JohnMC 14-Dec-21
Husker 14-Dec-21
x-man 14-Dec-21
RT 14-Dec-21
12yards 14-Dec-21
Ambush 14-Dec-21
Whatthefoc 16-Dec-21
14-Dec-21
Messing around on Archery Advantage arrow builder page and its telling me my current arrows are Too Weak. Shoot a Hoyt Ventum 33, 28.5” draw, 63lbs, 29” Easton 6.5 carbons, 125 grain point, Easton nock, 3 blazers & 4” arrow wrap. Total weight = 450 grains.

I’ve always thought they shot ok & have used them for years. Do I need to worry about this? Can I change something to continue to use these arrows or do I need to start over???

Jim

14-Dec-21
Are you shooting 340's?

14-Dec-21
If works for you I’d not worry about it. With that said if you don’t want to switch arrows but stiff in them up. Three things I can think of. One I’d think you probably could shorten them by a inch- inch and a half. Not sure how much difference that would make but could run through your software. Two go to a 100 grain tip/broadhead. Three lower your poundage.

14-Dec-21
Yes, 340 spine. Sorry I forgot that.

14-Dec-21
Cut 1.5" off the front and glue new inserts in. There's really no "need" to have shafts longer than your DL.

14-Dec-21
There is - to clear a gloved hand better when using fixed BH's.

If you are happy with the current result, leave it alone. If you are having issues with tune, let's fix it.

14-Dec-21
You should be fine IMO.

14-Dec-21
Pretty close to my specs and 340’s are great. 29” draw and 65 pounds. My arrows are longer but I also have a 1” footing.

16-Dec-21
The charts are just a guide - the real test is arrow flight. Assuming that your rest is on center, try shooting your arrow thru paper (bareshaft at 5 paces). If you have a tail right tear then your arrow is underspined. (assuming you’re RH). This could be remedied by reducing tip weight, reducing draw weight, shortening arrow … or starting over with stiffer shafts. Given the numbers you have shared, i would think you’re on the fence between 340 and 300 as the proper spine for you.

Tinker with it - try shooting various tip weights. Depending on your hunting style, a heavier total arrow weight would not be a bad thing. Personally, I would go to stiffer shafts before I would consider lighter points or reduced draw-weight. I am 70lb/29” and working on new arrows right now - 250 spine with 60 grain insets and 125 fixed blades. They are just over 550 grains and fly like darts!

Having an arrow that leaves the bow true is a thing of beauty, and a great place to be when it’s time for broadheads.

• Sitka Gear