IdyllwildArcher 22-Dec-21
Bake 23-Dec-21
nmwapiti 23-Dec-21
JSW 23-Dec-21
JSW 23-Dec-21
JSW 23-Dec-21
Duke 23-Dec-21
18-Dec-21
Va has roughly 90 days of deer season depending on how the Callender falls & I'd guess I hunt at least 70 days. Didn't hunt much in early Oct it was just to darn hot & not much on getting wet anymore. But I am very fortunate to have several fields I can sit after work with the long range gun. Not that I really consider watching a field the last 45 minutes of light actually hunting but rather grocery shopping with a gun. But none the less I'm very fortunate to get the time afield that I do.

18-Dec-21
Wife says tomorrow much. Can't believe she won't let me put some trophies above the head board. Huh!

18-Dec-21
Before kids probably close to 30 days, this year I got out 4 days. I do miss being a little more selective but it has turned me into a true meat hunter. If the freezer is full I am happy.

18-Dec-21
Worked for 48 yrs... hunted when I could, always missed my favorite time late October early November do to job commitments... retired recently and have been out everyday since. Now seeing deer is another story.

18-Dec-21
I usually average about 90 days each fall between Sept and Jan 1

18-Dec-21
Usually get 30-40 sits in archery in and half a dozen sits in rifle. A handful of those sits are as u described, timex, which is a squeezed in sit after or before work where im just tryin to get lucky that half hour and put some meat in the freezer. Puttin meat in the freezer has become 99% of the reason im out there, since having kids

18-Dec-21
Usually 2 plus weeks out west every year, 3 or 4 weekends of turkey hunting in the Spring unless I fill out quicker, then whitetail weekends when I can. I have one more fall season before retirement then I'll be kicking things up a notch.

18-Dec-21
I can hunt as often as want but confine my time to 3 weeks during the rut. Normally, I am done when I get a deer, so sometimes far less.

18-Dec-21
Deer around 50-60 per yr nowadays..one yr (va) I only didn’t hunt 3 days the whole season. If work would allow it I would still do it.

18-Dec-21
Dang good question. The more I think about it I could have a problem. Is that how the people in aa say it? Dove and squirrel opens here September first. I’m in the woods almost every day up till the middle of January. Then some ice fishing if we have ice. Most weekends in April walleye fishing. Around 10-12 days in May turkey hunting. Then work 7 days a week until September.

18-Dec-21
Shoot Wv Hillbilly same as you BUT add coyote calling until March for me. All said and done I’m hunting 9 months a year and that’s not counting scouting in July and August.

18-Dec-21
not enough

18-Dec-21
20 or so sits per year for deer. I would actually cut that down to just sitting in November and making my days count more. If I had a more perfect world…..I’d do 10-12 sits and kill 2-3.

18-Dec-21
50-60 days in a typical year

18-Dec-21
Haven’t hunted by myself 3 times this year. Hunted with my girls five or six times. Been hot as hell down here, hard to get excited about it.

18-Dec-21
I’m fortunate due to my independent job plus five state Midwest area travels, I just about can scout & hunt as much as I want. Paid off this year with two big bucks. So I’m actually archery turkey hunting just to get outside. And got three scouting trips planned Jan & Febr. For me it’s actually better not to retire because most my travel expenses are reimbursed by my company. I don’t even bother to count how many days I go because it’s as many as I choose.

18-Dec-21
This year,not nearly as much as I wanted to. Thank you China virus !

18-Dec-21
Not enough!

18-Dec-21
Usually get 30-40 sits in archery in and half a dozen sits in rifle. A handful of those sits are as u described, timex, which is a squeezed in sit after or before work where im just tryin to get lucky that half hour and put some meat in the freezer. Puttin meat in the freezer has become 99% of the reason im out there, since having kids

18-Dec-21
About 70 days this fall. I recently retired so have plenty of time now.

18-Dec-21
Retired 2 years ago so I can hunt as much as I want to which is 4-5 MONTHS per year now

18-Dec-21
80 plus days

18-Dec-21
Not nearly enough!

18-Dec-21
7 days total per year. Maybe....

18-Dec-21
Avg about 45 days, but this year got a late start. But, I've had a pretty successful season.

18-Dec-21
A FWIW thought. For you guys that hunt a lot in long seasons....pace yourself. Otherwise you might burn yourself out....BTDT. After about the 3rd year of hard hunting when I was stationed in Wash DC (hunting Maryland), I suspected I was hunting too much when it became a grind just to get dressed and drive to the property 10 minutes away. I was hunting most days after work and on the weekends for about 4 months those first 3 years. I started skipping days when I could of hunted. It wasn't enjoyable anymore whether bow, firearm or ML season. Just a thought.....

18-Dec-21
Only 5 days this year archery as I was done. Spent two days rifle on two different hunts. Typically I get 30-45 archery sits and 2-10 days rifle. I try to not work more than a week in November but that doesn't always happen.

18-Dec-21
September 28 days October 21 days November 20 or so But I'm guiding so it don't count.

18-Dec-21
When I was younger I used to bow hunt from September 1 until the end of January every time I could get in the woods. Often from sun rise to sun set and stay in a tree all day. I bowhunted during muzzle loading season and gun season. Later in life I shot deer with all weapons, muzzle loader, handgun and rifle. Now I am old as dirt I only want a deer or two for my freezer and do more shooting with a camera. I have killed quite a few with a single shot 50 cal muzzle loading pistol.

s

19-Dec-21
Between turkey, elk, deer, pheasants, and coyotes, I probably average well over 100 days per year, if you include scouting (with my eyes, not cameras). In recent years, I do more scouting than actual hunting for deer. This year for example, I scouted nearly every morning from Oct 1 thru Nov 18. I hung my first stand on Nov 19, and killed my buck from it the next day during my first sit of the season. Unfortunately, I can only get one deer tag per year in my area, so it was all over at that point.

Matt

19-Dec-21
A few days a year maybe. Lately it’s been a few days every couple of years. 0 for elk in 4 years. 0 for deer in 21 years

19-Dec-21
Deer hunting maybe 20-30 evenings and a few mornings. Usually elk hunt 9-10 days a year. 5-6 days dedicated completely to quail and coyotes but I’ll hunt quail/ yotes here and there as I’m feeding cows all winter. Hard to measure the majority of my hunting in days because elk is the only thing that’s an all day affair for me.

19-Dec-21
Let's see this year. 12 days in AZ hunting Coues WTs. 11 days in Nebraska hunting spring turkey's (three times), 3 days in Colorado hunting Pronghorn. 10 days in Colorado hunting elk, 6 days in Nebraska hunting WTs. So far, 2 day hunting geese in Colorado. I filled all of these tags this year. Remaining days of 2021, some shot gun duck hunting as a few more bow hunting for geese. So the real answer is, NOT NEARLY ENOUGH! Will have to step it up next year for sure. :)

19-Dec-21
Not enough

19-Dec-21
Paul the amount of time you can spend in the woods really shows age is just a number and if you want to do it you can do it! Love following along with your stories!

19-Dec-21
Between pheasant, turkey, deer, antelope and elk I would guess about 80 days.

19-Dec-21
Elk is a solid 14 days each year. Deer, maybe 10 days. Turkey, maybe 7 or 8 days. Other stuff, just a few days here and there.

So really probably only about 35 to 40 days per year. Not nearly enough!

19-Dec-21
If you count travel, I average about 110 days a year. When you think about it, it's only 2 days a week. That's about enough.

19-Dec-21
Never really counted, but I work 3 days a week from November to April. Every day I'm off, I hunt, or do something related to hunting or fishing.

19-Dec-21
Paul, if you hunted much more you’d have to buy another freezer……

19-Dec-21
I want to be Paul when I'm 80

19-Dec-21
Deer I usually get to hunt 1-2 days max that’s why I hunt just about everything I can eat. Between big game small game and waterfowl I’m out for some amount of time around 100-110 days per year.

19-Dec-21
Before kids I hunted on average I would say 30 days, after kids a lot less...this year I had a 3 day trip to Ohio and got in one sit in NY )Oct 2nd to be exact. I will take advantage of new Holiday hunt in NY and be in the woods Dec 29-31

19-Dec-21
This fall season was the least ever by FAR! But I had a baby in the rut and am first year new job. Hunted 8 days for moose and 7 sits for whitetails. But that doesn’t count scouting. For my wife it doesn’t matter if I’m scouting or hunting. So you could double the whitetail time.

19-Dec-21
Deer I usually get to hunt 1-2 days max that’s why I hunt just about everything I can eat. Between big game small game and waterfowl I’m out for some amount of time around 100-110 days per year.

20-Dec-21
I have been blessed since the age of ten when I brought home my first woodchuck with my .22. (mother made me bury it). Headed towards eighty now and physical work from the past has taken a nasty toll on the body; though I was fortunate to have had a professional job that provided a decent retirement. Now-a-days I am limited to what I can do afield because of mobility issues. Get out there when you can.

20-Dec-21
I used to hunt a lot more but now I sit at home and argue on covid threads.

20-Dec-21
Not as many as I'd like but work and family come first. I'm thankful for all of my time in the woods or on the water and feel blessed to get out the days I can.

20-Dec-21
retired now and sit out about 50 to 60 days.

20-Dec-21
I want to be Paul when I’m 60! ;-)

20-Dec-21
I do a 2-3 week hunt in August, 1-2 one-week hunt(s) in September, a 1-2 week hunt in November, and then usually a 1 week hunt in January for Coues, but missed it this year due to COVID-related work and in 2022 I have a February muskox hunt instead of Coues. And I hunt birds for 4-7 days every May.

So about 60 nowadays.

I only fish about 4-5 days per year. I'm trying my hand at trapping for the first time this winter.

21-Dec-21
Not enough.

21-Dec-21
I would venture to guess about 30 days or a little more. Many of those are either an a.m. or p.m. hunt. 6-7 mornings to hunt turkey and the rest whitetails. Not nearly enough, considering hunt prep. and scouting was basically nil. I suppose kids will do that.

21-Dec-21
My log books go back to 2000 and I have put in 200 - 250 hours per year in a stand just on whitetails.

21-Dec-21
I turned 60 in early Dec and when I checked how many days I had photo's out in the woods during the seasons this year, I counted up 60 days !!!

Having an ebike and three elk tags didn't hurt this year. I think there were only a hand full of days that I didn't see the elk or was on them. Passed up a small 6x5 opening morning in Wyoming. Still can't decide if having a freezer full or all the incredible missed opportunities that came after would have been cooler.

Feeling pretty blessed to be able to get out as much as I do. Here's to more adventures in the years to come !!!

Cheers, Pete

21-Dec-21
A few times a week during deer season. Usually it's just a morning hunt before work or an afternoon hunt after. Turkey a handful of times in the spring.

22-Dec-21
As a whitetail hunter, I typically hunt almost everyday from about 10/28-11/15. I hunt once or twice a week before that. Most weekends in October I'm hunting ducks with my youngest son. So between waterfowl and bowhunting I'd say I hunt about 30 days per year. Add a few days in for spring turkey.

22-Dec-21
Years ago I would pretty much hunt all day every day regardless of the weather. Now at 76 not so much. I pick my days. Very windy...not my day. Very cold...not my day. Rain ...not my day. Still leaves plenty of days which suit me.

22-Dec-21
Several years ago, California DFG sent out a survey to hunters in CA and one of the questions was how many days per year that you hunted. The options were:

A) 0 B) 1-2 C) 3-4 D) 5+

I could not believe that they wanted such specific information between people who hunted so little, but would lump people who hunt 5 days per year in with people who hunt 60+.

Then I found out that the vast majority of hunters fall into categories A, B, or C.

I can't imagine only hunting 1-2 days per year. Even if I was successful every day.

23-Dec-21
I usually average 40-50 hunts a year for whitetails at home, but this year has been much much less. Just haven't had the time with work, and have lost some access, which has put a damper on my desire. I didn't deer hunt any in September, and only a day or two in October, which is unusual for me. I haven't deer hunted since before Thanksgiving, and I usually hit the late season pretty dang hard. I don't even have much desire to go, to be honest, since I lost my late season spot. I don't have access to anywhere with any concentrated food source. . . I'd say I'll end the deer season this year with maybe 20-25 deer hunts

However, I did pheasant hunt 4 days in SD, and will go again next month. I also hunted 9 days in Africa, and 7 days in Colorado.

I was probably averaging 80-90 days actually hunting per year before this year, between predators, turkeys, deer, elk, etc. And another 30-50 days scouting and prepping.

That's not gonna be the case this year or next probably.

To be honest my desire to whitetail hunt at home is diminishing directly proportional to the quality access I have. I never thought I'd be the guy that gave it up, or really cut back on time, but that's where I'm heading with my access issues. Who knows, I may pick up a farm or two in the off season and hunt more than ever next year.

Bake

23-Dec-21
Before I retired, about 20 days of time off. Plus some weekend bird and coyote hunting. Since retiring, about 100 days a year. That's out west where I'm road tripping to different states most of the time (Utah is the land of no opportunity). Lot of planning and very fortunate to be able to do so much.

23-Dec-21
Deer in 6 states, black bear in 2, elk and pronghorn. All DIY. A pretty full year.

23-Dec-21
I forgot to add turkey. Does turkey hunting count? If so, that's 11 hunts this year.

23-Dec-21

23-Dec-21
I’ve hunted less this year in totality than in prior years due to commitments with the boys and with daughter, but still manage. I will never put an incriminating statement on the internet! :)

• Sitka Gear