Nick Muche 26-Dec-21
Squash 26-Dec-21
keepemsharp 26-Dec-21
TGbow 26-Dec-21
smarba 27-Dec-21
12yards 27-Dec-21
Tody 27-Dec-21
25-Dec-21
What is birch tree sap good for? Image result for birch bark trees sap Birch sap is commonly known for its detoxifying, diuretic, cleansing and purifying properties, and can be drinken fresh straight out of the tree. ... Birch sap contains, among other things, 17 amino acids, as well as minerals, enzymes, proteins, antioxidants, sugar (xylitol, fructose and glucose) and vitamins (C and B).Apr 7, 2016

25-Dec-21
I did not know this, how about you and have you used it? Birch sap, birch water or birch juice is the sap directly tapped from birch trees, Betula pubescens (white birch), Betula pendula (silver birch), Betula lenta, Betula papyrifera, and Betula fontinalis.

Birch sap may be consumed both fresh and naturally fermented. When fresh, it is a clear and uncoloured liquid, often slightly sweet with a slightly silky texture. After two to three days, the sap starts fermenting and the taste becomes more acidic.

Birch sap is a traditional beverage in boreal and hemiboreal regions of the Northern Hemisphere

25-Dec-21
Paul as a Christmas present you can have my serving of birch sap!

25-Dec-21
Thanks Paul I'm storing that away for a rainy day. I'm going to try it.

25-Dec-21
I think that’s a requirement for joining the John Birch society :-)

But I digress. Didn’t know that! Will have to try it sometime.

25-Dec-21
I recall a birch bark root beer from way back when....

25-Dec-21
Birch bark very good for you, birch is Mostly what chaga grows on..chaga has so many health benefits it’s unreal.

25-Dec-21
We made birch sap syrup one year for one of the kid’s school project. It definitely isn’t very sweet, but boiled down to about 1/4 volume it’s not bad to drink. The Indians here used it as a tonic in the spring.

25-Dec-21
I guess it’s Willow (Salix) that gives us Salicylates… trying to recall if those can be obtained from Aspen or not… and if so… how far removed are Aspen, Willow & Birch??

Also curious how you go about collecting that sap & whether that’s strictly seasonal…??

25-Dec-21
Yeah, seen the thing on I think it was Duel Survival...

25-Dec-21
Hank Shaw's smoked salmon recipe calls for basting the salmon filets with birch syrup. I couldn't find any birch syrup so I just used honey. That was the first time I ever heard of birch syrup.

26-Dec-21

DanaC's Link
https://alaskabirchsyrup.com/about-alaskan-birch-syrup/alaska-birch-tree-syrup-water/

26-Dec-21
Paul,

I wasn't aware of the various properties of birch sap, except for one. It has mood-altering effects when made into syrup. Just try it on buttermilk pancakes and see if you don't feel happier.

(And by the way...spread a very thin layer of sour cream on a pancake before adding syrup for an instant sourdough pancake.)

26-Dec-21

Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
Altitude Sickness 's embedded Photo
I never knew about Birch water either Paul. I Just looked it up and it says silver or white paper birch. and you tap them in the spring just before they bud out.

I actually have quite a few of those. On my place. In fact more than I have sugar maples

I just made a Christmas bow for my grandson out of Yew and backed it with the inner layer of silver birch. the inner bark on Silver Birch is brown and what you would make a canoe out of.

26-Dec-21
My wife is quite into natural stuff so I actually did know that, as she was bummed that we didn’t have birch on our land. But we did tap about about a dozen maples last spring and we collected about 30-40 5-gallon pails worth. We drank some and she made a bunch of maple syrup.

26-Dec-21
Saw birch syrup for sale several places in Alaska.

26-Dec-21
Birch syrup has a tangy intensity unmatched by maple. I enjoy both but birch is a kick in the taste buds. It's always expensive it seems.

26-Dec-21

26-Dec-21

Nick Muche's embedded Photo
Nick Muche's embedded Photo
It’s good stuff and easy to get.

26-Dec-21
Knew some, but not all about birch. Lots of edible and medicinal plants and trees in nature. Gods creation is amazing. Thanks for sharing.

26-Dec-21
We just drink it as is. Too much work to make the syrup and you need ALOT of the birch water to make a decent amount of the syrup.

26-Dec-21
Also, the super food Chaga mushroom only grows on birch trees.

26-Dec-21
Nick: I am impressed, had no idea it was so easily gathered.

26-Dec-21
Very interesting Paul. I bet the Native Americans used tje birch sap

27-Dec-21
My family has made birch syrup just like doing maple. It's thinner and lighter (perhaps they don't heat/concentrate it as much) but it's delicious!

27-Dec-21
I certainly don't need the diuretic effect. I pee enough already! LOL

27-Dec-21
Birch water is popular in eastern Europe. Some European ethnic stores carry it. Tastes like slightly sweet water.

• Sitka Gear