Bou'bound 30-Dec-21
Ollie 30-Dec-21
Jaquomo 30-Dec-21
Ned mobile 30-Dec-21
Pat Lefemine 30-Dec-21
Gator 30-Dec-21
RK 30-Dec-21
28-Dec-21
Can get lost dreaming when looking through that thing. One adventure after another. Things sure have changed over the years.

28-Dec-21

28-Dec-21
Yeah, especially some of the prices.:>)

28-Dec-21
I made the cover this year!

Ok. Page 27, but it’s a start…

28-Dec-21
Getting the BSC catalog at my age kinda reminds me as a kid of getting the Sears & Roebuck, Montgomery Ward or Herter’s catalogs in the mail.

All offered a lot of wishing and dreaming !!

28-Dec-21
Getting the BSC catalog at my age kinda reminds me as a kid of getting the Sears & Roebuck, Montgomery Ward or Herter’s catalogs in the mail.

All offered a lot of wishing and dreaming !!

28-Dec-21
I thought I’d finally make it with my Columbia Blacktail…but alas, my modeling career looks like it’ll have to wait! Incidentally, looks like they aren’t working with any outfitters for Columbia BT currently.

28-Dec-21
Inflation is real!

28-Dec-21
Haven't received their catalog recently. Did get the 2021 catalog some time ago. Friend and I used BSC on anAlaska moose hunt. And I on an Alaska grizz hunt. No shots taken on either hunt.

28-Dec-21
Covid really has had a big affect on prices. Some of those prices are getting insane.

28-Dec-21
Cheaper than they will be next year. Gotta pay to play

28-Dec-21
I remarked to my wife while thumbing through the catalog and seeing those hunt prices :

“My kids will never be able to experience what I did”

It really begs the question: where does it end?

28-Dec-21
The prices just keep going up. Maybe I’ll start a “Go Fund Me” page so I can finish my Super Slam:)

28-Dec-21
Yea it stinks hunts have gotten so expensive, but what are you gonna do? It reminds me of my favorite quote by Mark Twain - “20 years from now you’ll be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than the things you did do” I personally have some hunts I’m just gonna make happen somehow so I don’t regret it when I’m too old to climb the mountain.

28-Dec-21
I tried searching BSC catalog and got nothing - what does it stand for?

28-Dec-21
Bowhunting Safari Consultants

28-Dec-21
I’ve wanted to go back to Alaska and try for moose again. BSC sent me there several years ago. Was not a good hunt. Have not looked at pricing recently but I’m guessing a better Alaska or Yukon moose hunt “all in” is pushing $30 grand. I don’t want to go that bad.

28-Dec-21
Thank you, Sir

28-Dec-21

JTreeman's embedded Photo
JTreeman's embedded Photo
I noticed this bargain basement stone sheep hunt. Only $40k plus $30k trophy fee. Then of course 5% GST, lisc/tag, and bush flights. It’s getting tough to be poor and want to hunt sheep…

—Jim

28-Dec-21
Seems a lot of hunts are missing from the catalog this year.

29-Dec-21
It really begs the question: where does it end?

I was wondering the same thing, Pat. I remember Jake totaling up the cost of his Super Slam and it was around $500K or so if I recall. It’s gotta be well northwards of a million dollars for someone getting started nowadays.

29-Dec-21
saw that stone sheep hunt. If you contact them I bet you will have at least a 1 or 2 season wait. they are also telling you in the listing that 70K price is not going to be locked in for 2-3 years it's going up.

there is a difference between expensive and over-priced. what is amazing though is the trajectory of the increase.

since when did moose hunts in AK/YU outprice brown bear hunts. they are pretty much on par now. you can take a couple cape buffalo for the price of a moose in AK

hunting does not have to be expensive, it can be super cheap locally, but adventures are not cheap and i wonder if other adventures in other pursuits have escalated like this.

the only thing we can be sure of is the demand is setting the price and there is more than enough demand to warrant these prices.

29-Dec-21
Pat I felt the exact same way no way my kids will ever do what i have its sad.

29-Dec-21
The prices for guided hunts have definitely outstripped my earning potential! It doesn’t seem that long ago when stone sheep hunts were around $10K and that seemed ridiculously high. Was hoping one day to be able to save that much and go hunt them…

29-Dec-21
I moved to BC 10 years ago....have managed to do 4 stone sheep hunts in that time and shot 2 rams. Guess the extra taxes and higher fuel costs have been covered at least haha. Man, things are sure climbing and Covid delays havent helped at all.

29-Dec-21
I purchased a hunting trip to Newfoundland for both moose and Caribou about 20 years ago for $4,000 through bowhunting Safari Consultants. I don't even want to look at the price today

29-Dec-21
"It really begs the question: where does it end?"

I think we all know where it ends. And we'll all be responsible in our own way. Some more than others.

Matt

29-Dec-21
Scared to look at mine now. Lol

29-Dec-21
Free market economy............ Would we want JoeBama dictating what we could all charge for what we service/sell? Health care has already gone down that road.

29-Dec-21
I used to save the BSC catalog and compare prices from year to year. Now I get it. Page through it and throw it out realizing I have million dollar dreams on a blue collar income. Wish my wages went up as much as some of these hunts in a year lol

29-Dec-21
It's amazing how much money is out there and how many people that have it want to hunt.

29-Dec-21
I'm with Pat on this one....the hunts are dreamy and ones I will never take, but the prices are almost embarrassing. Many of those hunts are just for a very select few. I find that quite sad.

29-Dec-21
Glad I moved to BC and hunted Stones 8 times, plus helped a buddy on another. Looks like I had $600,000 worth of fun in today’s $.

29-Dec-21
I haven't received mine but I am scared to see what the price of some dreams may have become.

29-Dec-21
Well if I win the powerball tonight I’ll give away one of every hunt in the catalog to Bowsiters only!!!

29-Dec-21
It’s a comical catalog

29-Dec-21
I must’ve gotten taken off their mailing list since I haven’t booked with them since a 2010 Dall’s sheep hunt. After seeing that Stone’s hunt prices have doubled over the last 6 years it seems they made a good choice removing me. I’d love to do another northern sheep hunt but that’s not gonna happen at these prices.

29-Dec-21
Moose hunt I booked in newfoundland for 2024 went up $3700 since I booked a year ago. Just crazy.

29-Dec-21
The BSC catalog goes directly into the trash can here now. I really don't even have enough curiosity to open it. In all my decades of hunting I never came close to using BSC services.

That said: I have to keep doing a diy hunt in Alaska every year, as I'm saving $20,000 annually!

29-Dec-21
Is it simply supply and demand pushing prices? (With a side order of inflation...) Noticed a kinda common denominator is most of these are Canadian hunts? Have AK hunts gone up in kind? If I understand, Canadian outfitters have to buy areas, bid for tags.... something like that. Has the government or those in charge of managing these areas raised things out the roof? Eliminated tags and areas narrowing supply? If I could outfit 10 hunts 5 years ago and only 4 now.... They basically closed out a bunch of caribou if I recall. And I also recall several Canadian outfitters mentioning how the government has gone crazy with what they want to charge outfitters for areas and hunts. Logistics in general have jumped a lot. And unfortunately.... inflation is something you can't get caught behind the curve on or you will be the one holding the bag.

Well.... that and Zuckerberg has to have something exotic to slather his Sweet Baby Ray's on........

29-Dec-21
Canada lost a year to covid. There is a big backlog of hunters. Prices aren't going down anytime soon :(

29-Dec-21
As long as there are hunters willing to pay the price, they will continue to climb, as will the numbers of hunters who can't afford to. Soon, only the Jimmy John's of the world will be able to afford these hunts, and the rest of us will be left wondering why we contributed to it.

Matt

29-Dec-21
I’ll use them when it makes sense. Some species and hunts you can only legally get by using an outfitter, including most anything in Canada or Mexico. Good to keep in mind that their booking service usually represents just a small fraction of the outfitters available for a given species or province. So a guy should always shop around and ask around quite a bit first.

29-Dec-21
Can get lost dreaming when looking through that thing. One adventure after another. Things sure have changed over the years.

29-Dec-21
gg always the killjoy

29-Dec-21
I was in the Buenos Aires version of the Playboy Club in 2005 when a stunning woman sat down at my table and offered to spend the night with me for $1500. I bet that "guaranteed hunt" is closer to $4000 now. Ahhhhhh, the good old days!

29-Dec-21
Anybody else laugh aloud when reading it?

29-Dec-21
Wasn’t sure whether to laugh or cry, Ned.

29-Dec-21

Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Tilzbow's embedded Photo
Supply and demand? Sure that’s part of it but I think some people’s ability and willingness to pay these high prices is an even more significant driver.

29-Dec-21
Candidly. It's hard to take the magazine seriously anymore because 95% of us struggle with even the cheaper hunts

29-Dec-21
I think there will be many less hunters in 15-20 years so prices of guided hunts will come back down.

29-Dec-21
Lou, Was the rack BC or PY?

29-Dec-21
LOL jaquomo - I'm sure you're a fair chase guy and that lady was offering a guaranteed, high fence option - that's kind of like how Uncle Ted hunts?!

29-Dec-21
I was lucky,,, did my sheep hunts, in my late 20's, on a bargain budget, but access was easier, etc. Was single, and worked till it was time to hunt, hunt on the money, till it was gone... 1976 to 1980

29-Dec-21
Did she have a trophy fee Option Lou in the event things went really well?

29-Dec-21
Tilzbow, you mentioned “willingness” to spend that amount for a hunt. Even if a guy can afford $75 grand for a sheep hunt, is it worth it?

29-Dec-21
On the flip side, Lou, did she offer a discount on your next hunt, if things didn't go so well? How about the tip? Was it covered, or was that optional?

;-)

Matt

29-Dec-21
It truly is supply and demand. That chart on the stock market says a lot about what drives the demand, more money floating around than ever and the supply is tightening up badly. This is mostly due to poor management of big game across Canada and much of the USA for almost all species, Stone Sheep included. Heavily declining predator management, lousy forest practices, fire suppression and managing hunting areas for meat. Meat hunting management means no management. Many of the good hunting areas are good simply because they are remote, hard to access but they can only be hunted on a very small kill quota.

29-Dec-21
Ned,

Every year I read it and tell my wife, well can mark another animal off my list. Lol

29-Dec-21
Did she have a trophy fee Option Lou in the event things went really well?

29-Dec-21
Never got that far......I ended up having to pay a giant Argentian bouncer-pimp-doorman $100 for "hanging out with her". Could have ended up an expensive night.

29-Dec-21
I'd consider that a winning night. ;-)

Matt

29-Dec-21
So Lou, you just gave her the tip?

29-Dec-21
Rumor has it, Lou is a BIG tipper, too!

29-Dec-21
20 years ago the Canadian outfitters gave you a discount for paying in US dollars…now they pocket the 25% in addition to the excessive prices.

29-Dec-21
Mike U for Prime Minister

30-Dec-21
“Even if a guy can afford $75 grand for a sheep hunt, is it worth it?”

It must be for he guys that choose willingly to do it or they would not do it

30-Dec-21
There is a limited supply of many big game animals. If everyone could hunt any big game animal that they wanted and at a price point all could afford, would there be any mature animals left to hunt? Probably not.

30-Dec-21
One of my best friends retired early and wealthy, and launched into a worldwide hunting spree. Governors tags, you name it. Got the Super Slam, the world sheep slam, etc, etc. For him, that was play money and worth every cent. So yeah, for guys like that, it definitely is worth it, and there seems to be plenty of hunters who can afford it.

30-Dec-21
Lou must have been showing his knee X-ray before that offer was made?? Coulda been a negotiating piece of radiation exposure

30-Dec-21
I think Mike U nailed it. A combination of politics, woke bullshit, and incompetence is at play.

Inflation is driving up the cost of everything. That’s obvious.

Mismanaged game populations are also a major problem. When BC banned grizzly hunting (to appease the Vancouver liberals) it took away a significant huntable population and placed a higher demand on remaining grizzly bear hunts.

And I believe that the proliferation of wolves and bears are a major factor in the declining numbers of sheep, moose, elk and deer out west. None of this is going to end well unless there’s a dramatic reversal. I’m not optimistic.

But other prices don’t make much sense: like 10k for mountain Lions and 7k whitetail hunts.

I used to live for these adventure hunts and I’m at a stage in my life where I can afford them, but I’m also pragmatic, and if I’m gonna spend 100k on hunting it will be spent on more land and land improvements. Things that will appreciate in value and provide me and my family a lifetime of memories.

For the record. I don’t blame BSC or the outfitters for this spiral. They should ask for the maximum amount that people are willing to spend on a hunt.

I do blame these pathetic and increasingly woke “game departments” that cave to political whims and ignore decades of science that balanced our western herds for hunting, ranching and tourism by managing predators.

30-Dec-21
All factors considered, prices will continue to rise as long as there are those willing to pay the price.

30-Dec-21
Mike U nailed it and Pat added some definition. One thing that people forget, especially Americans is the the demand is Worldwide and not just limited to rich Americans.

• Sitka Gear