Rut Nut 06-Jan-22
Grey Ghost 06-Jan-22
30-Dec-21

soccern23ny's Link
https://news.yahoo.com/closed-public-century-access-crazy-221516759.html

30-Dec-21
Nice!

30-Dec-21
I am not familiar with the area but it looks like a win/win, just as long as people don't wander off the easement onto the private lands.

30-Dec-21
Never heard of those mountains until the Yellowstone episode where the militia abducted the little boy. Looks like awesome country, minus the skinheads.

30-Dec-21
That looks like it would be a long ass walk with an elk on your back.

"Ultimately the two parties agreed to a non-motorized use easement, with a parking area and trailhead constructed on school-section land administrated by the Department of Natural Resources and Conservation (DNRC). "

Maybe it relieves some hunter pressure elsewhere, not sure.

30-Dec-21
If they are strict enough about the no vehicular access, then that should keep out the riffraff! And yes, this would be a terrific opportunity to reinforce that vehicular means bicycles, whether they are E bikes or not. I don’t ride like I used to, but even then I would have cheerfully given up access to mountain biking in certain areas in order to restrict hunting traffic to those on foot. Now that E bikes are part of the arrangement, that is all the more reason to prohibit anything that doesn’t have feet.

As far as what is “equitable“ is concerned… the impacts of foot traffic vs vehicular are so different as to pretty well void their argument. IMHO.

30-Dec-21
“...arguing they were being illegally denied access to their land and that the Forest Service wouldn't process their request.”

Ultimate definition of irony.

30-Dec-21
I hope this wasn't another land swap type of deal. Not familiar with this access area but in the past the deals that where trying to be put together just screwed the public land users even more when all the fine print was revealed.

30-Dec-21
Google crazy mountains missing.

30-Dec-21

JL's embedded Photo
JL's embedded Photo
These are the mountains you see by Big Timber north of I-90. Beautiful area. I believe this is them from I-90 heading east bound.

30-Dec-21
The East side is checkerboarded to death. Impossible for public to access.

Any additional access is a good thing.

30-Dec-21
Bowbender, I was thinking the same. Heck, just think of all the public land that is land locked due to private ownership.

31-Dec-21
If they are strict enough about the no vehicular access, then that should keep out the riffraff! And yes, this would be a terrific opportunity to reinforce that vehicular means bicycles, whether they are E bikes or not. I don’t ride like I used to, but even then I would have cheerfully given up access to mountain biking in certain areas in order to restrict hunting traffic to those on foot. Now that E bikes are part of the arrangement, that is all the more reason to prohibit anything that doesn’t have feet.

As far as what is “equitable“ is concerned… the impacts of foot traffic vs vehicular are so different as to pretty well void their argument. IMHO.

05-Jan-22
The way I read the article it said it would allow “ non motorized access”

06-Jan-22
Bentstick54, all the folks with bicycles with motors claim their ebikes self identity as non-motorized. I know it sounds like I'm kidding but sadly in this day and age it's true.

06-Jan-22
Bentstick54, all the folks with bicycles with motors claim their ebikes self identity as non-motorized.

I literally LOLd!!!

06-Jan-22

bentstick54 's embedded Photo
bentstick54 's embedded Photo
A specific sign at the trail head parking area, and a stiff fine if caught?

06-Jan-22
The Big Elk Creek Trail parking lot and trailhead will occupy an area of approximately one acre, and will be capable of accommodating trucks and/or trailers"

I think they meant to say "horse trailers", because that's what you're likely to see.

It's nice to see the public finally winning one of these landlocked cases. It is irony that it came about because private landowners wanted to corner cross to get to their property.

Matt

06-Jan-22
"As far as what is “equitable“ is concerned… the impacts of foot traffic vs vehicular are so different as to pretty well void their argument. IMHO."

That depends on their definition of "foot traffic". If it includes hooves, then that trail will look like any other rutted up 2-track in no time. As Grasshopper pointed out, it's going to take some dedicated hearty-ass hunters to pack in and pack out of that area on foot, especially if they punch a tag. Sounds like a great spot, if you have horses or mules.

Matt

06-Jan-22
When has "foot traffic" ever been used to refer to HORSEBACK riding?!

06-Jan-22
An elk don't know how many feet a horse has!

06-Jan-22
Yep! I learned that from Jeremiah Johnson! ;-)

06-Jan-22
Rut,

My point was, Corax argued that non-motorized trails should be limited to only "foot traffic" and no bikes of any kind. I was just curious if he considers horses and mules "foot traffic", or not.

Personally, I'm not against e-bikes or horses where legal. I own both.

Matt

• Sitka Gear