cnelk 14-Jan-22
JohnMC 14-Jan-22
Jaquomo 14-Jan-22
Hank_S 15-Jan-22
Grey Ghost 15-Jan-22
Hank_S 16-Jan-22
Hank_S 16-Jan-22
30-Dec-21
It’s happening in my old neighborhood, where I still have a lot of friends. Pray for all impacted. Thanks.

Matt

30-Dec-21
Yep, our friends in Rock creek have evacuated...looks real bad!

30-Dec-21
Bad deal. I up in Estes for the weekend but watching close. Lots of friends, customers and where I work are all pretty close. Some already effected.

Wildfire would normally be pretty low on the list of worries where this is happening.

30-Dec-21
https://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=494935&messages=4&forum=36

Whelp.... the man(Mike Nelson) who wrote "The World's Littlest Book On Climate" and who has spent a lifetime studying climate and meteorology is currently helping forecast an unprecedented winter grass fire on the front range as tens of thousands evacuate their homes and attempt to flee to safety.

But surely this isn't climate related. But if it is, surely it's just normal climate changes. But if it isn't, surely it doesn't have anything to do with man's impact. But if it does, surely it will be a good thing overall "cause warmer is better". But if it isn't better, surely......

I don't know where you guys are gonna move the goal posts after that last step...? That's where we are. We are in between "nothing to do with man's impact" and " warmer will be better".

I just don't know what to say. Crops can wither, water will run dry, fires keep ravaging, ever increasing natural disaster after disaster, and the only thing that changes is how the goal posts get moved to justify doing nothing.(But lemme guess... "nOW's nOt THe tIMe")

*sigh*

(fact... Since june 1st 2021, Phoenix has received more rain than the denver area has)

30-Dec-21
Colorado is dry as heck but it's not as dry as it has been several times since we have been able to record it and before anyone drove evil SUVs.

30-Dec-21
@Glunt... Since June 1st 2021, Phoenix has recorded more rainfall then the denver metro area has. Long term, the past 2 decades the drought is fairly unprecedented overall. This drought is magnified by overall higher temps. Having a drought(lack of moisture) is one thing, having a long drought with an ever increasing temperature is a whole nother beast

30-Dec-21
Gosh, we NEVER have high winds on the Front Range ahead of storm fronts! This is a totally new phenomenon, right? And a tree falls on a power line, knocks it down, and starts a fire, and of course the Karens on the Left will declare it "Climate Change".

Hate to break this to you, Soccermom, but the Front Range used to burn like this on a regular basis before people moved in and built subdivisions. Massive grass fires. Forest fires, too. Droughts, floods, you name it. So yeah, you could say the destruction caused by this fire is due to "man's impact". If humans hadn't built that power line to feed the subdivisions, THERE WOULD BE NO FIRE. Read that again carefully.

At my house about 50 miles NW of that fire, we have 18" of snow on the ground, another 10" coming tomorrow. And 14" of ice on our lakes. (Ice fishing is great!) Sometimes its windy, sometimes not. Just another normal winter. I guess Climate Change hasn't found us yet.

Shaking my effing head....

30-Dec-21
@jaq, more useless anecdotal evidence from you.... "it's snowing where I am, must be no global warming". Also I believe they just set a wind record today.

no, it's not that we never get high winds... more like we never are this dry for this long into this late in the year on an ever increasing basis.

you are almost past the "not mans fault" step. And just about onto the "wamer is gonna be better" step.

30-Dec-21
Haha. Not even 3 post before someone comes in and blames weather and a man caused climate change. I love how anything that is somewhat out of our perception of normal has to be climate change…

30-Dec-21
The best thing all the climate change folks can do is, hold their breath and stop breathing the air!!!

30-Dec-21
What is the ideal earth temperature, oh wise one? Please, please tell us.

"we never are this dry for this long into this late in the year on an ever increasing basis". More anecdotal evidence from you. Colorado has always been drought-prone. That's why there were no trees on the Front Range beyond the mountains, except along riverways, until settlers moved here and brought them to plant. You can't look at a tiny sliver of time at the top of another identical historical warming cycle and proclaim it to be "never".

You alarmists tell us to not confuse weather with climate, unless it suits your alarmist purpose. Then the "weather" is due to AGW.

30-Dec-21
"Sometimes its windy, sometimes not"

Aha! CLIMATE CHANGE!!!

30-Dec-21
Soccern23ny, please lead by example and stop using any thing that you say is contributing to man made climate change. Will you give up electricity, your automobile, food from a grocery store? It takes a lot of carbon fuel to plant, harvest, raise animals,and transport it to the store. Are you willing to live like its 1800 ? Good luck with that! Give us the solution. If man made climate change is the problem give us the real solution. Heck, little Gretta has been whining for years but has not come up with an answer. How dare she !!!

30-Dec-21
I like how you guys have locked onto "the wind"... the wind isn't the issue. it's the extended drought into WINTER, with higher than average temperatures year after year.

Do yourself a favor, just read the the book. It's like 28 pages, that way you'll sound even dumber when you try to refute reality

31-Dec-21
So millions of years of weather of which we have tracked like 100-200 years of......I would call that....anecdotal!

Don't get me wrong. I don't want to see or breathe in smog. I don't want garbage floating in our oceans. I don't want chemicals in our water, etc cetera. But, to think that people today can definitively say we are causing the earth to get hotter, or colder, is hard to believe.

31-Dec-21
The wind blew down a power line. That wasn't "climate change". There are massive windstorms on that part of the Front Range every year, always, throughout history. If a power line hadn't blown down, we wouldn't be having this discussion.

I read the little book. More alarmist garbage with cherry-picked conclusions from people who profit from climate change alarmism.

So answer the question. What is the ideal earth temperature?

I would love to continue chatting, but I'm taking my wife deer hunting on an awesome private spot in Nebraska, covered with No Trespassing signs, where I got permission by asking the owner personally. Like we do it here in the West.

31-Dec-21
Double post

31-Dec-21
@ryanrc... The first link in my first comment links to the small book about CO2. Read it or google some basic properties about CO2. I'm not going to try to argue what CO2 in our atmosphere will do here. But just look up some raw facts on CO2. The general principles of CO2 are undeniable facts. IE... where it comes from, how long it stays in the air, or how quickly a tree can absorb it, the properties that are attributed to CO2, etc.

That stuff is basically science 101. from there it's kinda easy to see how more CO2 could lead to a warmer planet and kinda tough to say CO2 has no impact on climate.

@jaq no... if we had snow on the ground or more than an inch of rain since june than we wouldn't be having this conversation. If every year wasn't warmer and drier than the last we wouldn't be having this conversation. And i highly doubt you read the book....

Of the "10 FACTS about CO2" which ones are false? list them. No, I'm not talking about their hypothesis based on those 10 facts. I'm talking about the 10 facts of CO2 themselves... which ones(that have been replicated thousands of times) were you able to disprove?

Better yet, email the man himself Mike Nelson @ denver 7 news. Tell him how he's wrong on his 10 facts about CO2 or better yet... trespass on his property like you like to do and talk to him in person

*crickets*

31-Dec-21
Again this was a man caused fire, it got into a neighborhood where houses are relatively close and was being driven by a strong wind storm.

If there was no power line to blow down then there would have been no fire…

3 weeks ago, lack of snow… Climate change, now awesome snow levels in the mountains rains, climate change. Dry and warm, climate change, other areas cool and wet, climate change…

Answer the question what is the ideal temperature for the Earth?

31-Dec-21
The book is 28 pages. I read 1500 words a minute. I read the whole thing while I was taking a dump. (Have slowed down as I age..). Mike Nelson is a TV weatherman. I don't lose sleep over what TV weather teleprompter readers think.

Answer the question, climate expert: What is the ideal earth temperature and CO2 saturation?

If Mike Nelson had a ranch with good hunting that was in my unit, you bet your ass I would drive up to his house, knock on his door, look him in the eye like a man, and ask permission. Something you are scared to do. You accuse me of trespassing because I door-knock to ask permission? You are a seriously messed up little lady. Good night, sweetheart. I need to get to bed to take my sweetheart hunting on a sweet new spot you can only dream of hunting!

31-Dec-21
I’ve been on the fires all night. Never seen such devastation watching home after home burn down with not much we could do- so much wind.

31-Dec-21
Heartbreaking for those people. Hopefully everyone is safe.

Soccer, Co2 fact, it’s good for you.

It’s what triggers you to breath. Look it up in a lot of thick books.

The climate is changing, it has been for millions of years. On this same planet we have ice sheets and molten magma under a thin crust.

Man will most likely destroy civilization. But it won’t be the climate. I’d be more focused on Cyber threats.

The problem is your climate leaders haven’t figured out how to sell cyber warfare as a way for them to make billions.

31-Dec-21
You should read 1984 and shut up about your ridiculous little book. Stop using a emergency and people's personal tragedies to push your agenda. Hope everyone effected gets out safe.

31-Dec-21
Nice read as I drink coffee and get ready to hit the ice this morning. Ice at my local lake is late this season. I was able to get on it before Christmas, 3.5-8" thick, then the wind came broke it up. I hope it is good today, I don't know. Global warming caused by man? I think not.

31-Dec-21
Soccermom,

Any words for the families affected by this, or are you still changing your tampon?

Matt

31-Dec-21
Prayers to all the families affected.

31-Dec-21
Definitely said a prayer for all of the people affected by this disaster this morning.

Heartbreaking.

I have some very dear friends that are right in the thick of this right now. Not sure how they are faring and pray that their home is not destroyed.

31-Dec-21
Truly devastating.

On a positive note, the local news hasnt said ANYTHING about the omnicron virus!

31-Dec-21
that area that burned - how thick was the grass/brush and how long since it'd last been burned ?

I lived all around Colorado in the 90's .... Arvada, Broomfield and visited Erie and others often enough ..... I remember thinking man, this is a tinderbox at times and if it ever catches with a wind, look out all the communities built along the edges

bad deal for everyone, I hate when people lose their homes and possessions and all that comes with disasters like this :(

31-Dec-21
@grey... words for the families? I don't have any prayers if that's what your asking, since those you know, don't work. I haven't donated yet for the year, that seems like a pretty good way to help out. So that's what I will do. More help than any words or séance from miles away from a random stranger can help that is.

@Altitude... nice goal post moving, that's got to be the most irrelevant fact I've ever seen.

you are past the "warmer is better step". And evidently onto "More CO2 is needed to breathe". Never would have guessed that one!

For reference since the 1800's CO2 levels have increased over 50%. So while you are right that we need CO2 to "breathe". Levels of CO2 dating back to the dawn of man were sufficient in triggering us to breathe. Also CO2 levels remained almost rock steady for 10,000 years of man's existence until the industrial revolution.

So while your fact is true, it's a pretty ridiculous way to justify("desire" in your case) ever increasing CO2 levels.

31-Dec-21

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
"Also CO2 levels remained almost rock steady for 10,000 years of man's existence until the industrial revolution."

Funny how the AGW religious zealots keep lying, and the MSM goes right along with the lies. Here are the graphs from the Vostok Ice Cores. Point out where the CO2 levels were ever "rock steady".

31-Dec-21

Jaquomo's Link
I'll post this link from NASA in case you missed it the first time. It explains how this uptick in CO2 is making the earth greener and better for many reasons.

Prayers for the folks who lost everything in this tragedy. I can't imagine. You trying to politicize it and make it about AGW is sick and disgusting. Anyone who does that should be ashamed, but we know there is no shame for zealots.

Gotta go. About to drive right past some No Trespassing signs so my wife can shoot a deer. You should try it sometime!

31-Dec-21
Can't imagine all the individual personal or family difficulties many of those people were experiencing as most of us do at times in life, and then have this sudden tragedy hit on top of that. Count your blessings.

31-Dec-21

soccern23ny's embedded Photo

soccern23ny's Link
@jaq please provide the link for that graph.

also yours shows CO2 levels going from 200-280ppm over 100,000 years. A 40% increase over 100,000 years. So .0008PPM every year increase

vs

The rest of the graph. Which goes from about 280ppm to 420ppm in just over 100 years. Again about a 50% increase in just 100 years. So 1.4ppm increase every year. For perspective a modern year increase in CO2 is equivalent to 1,750 years of CO2 build up on your graph.

But sure, CO2 not an issue and not from man

31-Dec-21
I have a minute while we wait for these deer to come out. And please stop with the @jaq, bullspit. I'm not @anything.

There are about 50 links with many corresponding analyses. Google Vostok Ice Cores and take your pick. What they show is that every 100,000 years there is an almost identical temperature and CO2 signature, and if you dig into the data you will find that the CO2 increase FOLLOWS the warming. Your little snapshot means nothing, and is as misleading as the discredited Mann-Gore "hockey stick" graphs.

No one is saying man isnt responsible for an increase in CO2. The debate is in how much vs. natural variability (per historical records) and in the real impact, per the NASA link I posted. A hell of a lot of people will benefit from a couple degrees warmer earth.

Now will you PLEASE answer the simple question you continue to avoid - What is the optimum temperature for the earth? Until you answer that, you are nothing more than an MSM parrot. Squawk.

31-Dec-21
I can’t believe I’m entering this debate…

Jaq’s graph shows CO2 and temperature has been increasing and decreasing at a fairly consistent rate for 400,000 years but go ahead and cherry pick your own data that feeds your argument.

Yeah, we’ve had two similar, but not quite as destructive, fires that destroyed homes and businesses close to Reno over the past 10 years. The first was in November of 2012 and was caused when a car hit a power line during a weather front with 50 to 70 MPH winds. The second was a day after a govt idiot decided a controlled burn was a good idea the day before a front, with forecasted winds in excess of 80 MPH, would hit the burn area. But yeah, let’s go with climate change as the cause of both of those too. How many of the California fires have been the responsibility of PG&E?

We just had over 200” of snow in the Sierras for December. A new record and the most since the 70’s. A similar set of storms trapped the Donner Party near Truckee CA, but more than a month earlier, in November of 1846. A month earlier than our recent record snowfall for December…. I don’t think they were blaming climate change as they were forced to eat human flesh….

31-Dec-21
@jaq to answer you question... https://mashable.com/article/what-is-earths-ideal-temperature

they say it pretty well. TLDR... it's the exponentially increasing rate of change that's the issue.

"No one is saying man isnt responsible for an increase in CO2. "

No, people really are actually. And it's tough to point out a 500 year period on a backwards graph with 50,000 year increments. Hence why I provide one in which you can.

Also just saw your other comment. ROFL, k you read the book what's the title for the 4th fact?, and 1500 words per minutes sure guy. You've literally stated how you've trespassed on other threads lol. You even have a post asking for money to help fight a trespass basically lol. What a joke. I don't believe the vast majority of what you have to say. You don't have credibility just because you blow past a no trespassing sign to knock on a man's door face to face. You fail to realize how that simple action actually takes away your credibility and just makes you an A$$ with balls. You will always be an @jaq

31-Dec-21
soccermom, answer the question! What is the optimum temperature of the earth supposed to be??

How in the hell do you know if it is not supposed to be warmer than it is now? You/our little snapshot of recorded data means NOTHING!

Quit using a tragic event to bolster your political shit.

31-Dec-21
@knifeman. I did answer it. above your comment. I'll even answer it again, The ideal temp is a temp that doesn't change so fast as to reek havoc on nearly every animal species globally.

"You/our little snapshot of recorded data means NOTHING!"

I know. That's what makes all this so tragic and sad. Facts don't matter, as is evident by much of the past few years.

Literally you: "Your facts, and recorded data that are irrefutable mean nothing to the agenda that've I've chosen to swallow! How dare you!"

31-Dec-21
My point about elevated CO2 triggering the impulse to breath is true, but it was meant as a tongue in cheek retort to your hyperbole.

I stand by the point that climate change is probably number 199 of 250 on a ranking list of risk factors that will doom mankind.

Cyber attacks of infrastructure is hundreds of times more likely and immediately impactful.

But again your messiahs can’t get rich from that doomsday prophecy.

31-Dec-21
Snowed here in Estes and the wind calmed down. Hopefully yesterday was the worst of it.

31-Dec-21
Just can not imagine the anxiety those families are dealing with... the flames and embers are still red hot and politics is inserted to a devastating situation. GG, pray the best for your friends. scentman

31-Dec-21

Grasshopper's embedded Photo
Omg soccer mom on the east coast telling us why Colorado is having a fire which was caused by a down power line from horrific wind.

Wind at 80 to 120 for a couple weeks drys grass out real bad. 2 weeks ago it picked up my 9000lb camper and flipped it like a kite.

My power line was bending like a noodle in that wind.

31-Dec-21

Here is this morning 50 mile north of the fire, same elevation. Guess the climate change drought is over.

31-Dec-21
I did answer it. above your comment. I'll even answer it again, The ideal temp is a temp that doesn't change so fast as to reek havoc on nearly every animal species globally.

This statement is absurd! The climate has change very quickly in the past and reeked havoc and it will do so in the future. Just look at the 5 major mass extinctions in the past.

31-Dec-21
Is this a la nina weather pattern this season? Whenever that occurs it's usually windy and wet here in WNY, not much snow but very wet pattern that just engulfs this region.

31-Dec-21
Google "little ice age" during George Washington era... then tell bout global warming again.

31-Dec-21

Here is the current climate change snowpack as of today soccermom. I think we supply water to somewhere near 20 states.

Definitely need to switch to electric cars in the US. THAT WILL SOLVE IT.

31-Dec-21
What “climate” was it that allowed wooly mammoths to live around the Great Lakes?

What “climate” was it that caused they're extinction?

What “climate” allowed Indigenous peoples and whitetail deer to live there after.

Was that last “climate” change dangerous or undesirable?

Disposable consumerism is the biggest threat to the lives of us and our children. And THAT”S something everybody can do something about.

31-Dec-21
I was asking for money to fight a trespassing charge? What lying planet are you from, soccermom. I DO NOT TRESPASS. Never have, never will. Have never been accused of trespassing. Where do you come up with this garbage? In your twisted little mind, trick or treating is "trespassing". You are too much of a spineless weenie to ask permission to hunt face to face, so you denigrate those who do. Must be tough to look at yourself in the mirror knowing you are so impotent as a man.

And yes, I read 1500 words a minute. When I was a competitive speed reader my best in competition was 2200 wpm with 90% comprehension.

31-Dec-21
The Anazazi civilization in the American southwest, including Colorado,Utah,New Mexico and Arizona came to an end in the 1300’s due to a prolonged drought. Tree ring research showed a mega drought lasting several hundred years long, A.D.1200-1400.

Darn those Anazazi’s and their evil cars, coal plants, jet planes and A/C homes filling the atmosphere with “man-made” CO2…..what a shame.

31-Dec-21
"Just look at the 5 major mass extinctions in the past."

So you're saying we're on the verge of the 6th, and final one as far as humans are concerned, and so should just sit back and enjoy the show?

Back to the original topic. I just got word that Marv Clyncke (who many on here know) came through OK - barely. Thankfully, he with help from his family, stopped the fire at their fence line, I was told.

I live about 30 miles north of there with a clear view, and watched the fire blow up late yesterday morning. Been trying to find out about many I know in that area.

31-Dec-21
I have family in Frederick. They weren’t in the path, but a little too close for comfort!

31-Dec-21

Drought map as of December 30th 2021
Drought map as of December 30th 2021

soccern23ny's Link
@grasshopper... interesting data. IDK exactly how they measure/gained that info but we've had less than like 2 inches of rain since june in denver. And this drought map tells a different story

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?CO

"D3: "Pasture conditions worsen City landscapes are dying Large fires develop Rafting, fishing, hunting, skiing are reduced; fish kills occur Grasshopper and insect infestation are noted Reservoirs are extremely low; mandatory water restrictions are implemented; water temperature increases"

@Jaq... you LITERALLY described how you drove past a no trespassing sign, knocked on the owners door and asked to hunt his land. Now you are just lying. Here's a picture of you lying. https://imgur.com/a/ACQbxDF

It's private property, it says no trespassing, you saw the sign, drove past the sign, onto another's property. That is trespassing. The bigger the, the more obvious the trespass the more proud you actually are, it's sickening.

This is why I have no respect for you, nor do I believe half of what you say. But sure, do some more mental gymnastics on why this isn't trespassing. Your the type to read my "no soliciting" sticker on my house and then proceed to try to sell me something anyway.

31-Dec-21

Trespassor

31-Dec-21
Prayers for all of those affected by these horrible fires.

31-Dec-21
Yep that makes @Lou a trespasser about as much as the fire equals global warming is going to destroy the world as we know it. But I know this next time I see Lou it not going to be Lou it is going to be @Lou or @jaq ;)

31-Dec-21
Man, the Bowsite sponsors are getting their money's worth on this thread

31-Dec-21
Sounds like Marv was out there yesterday in true Marv Clynke fashion fighting the fire and keeping it from burning them out. Looks like that big church parking lot stopped it from wrapping around on the west side. He’ll always be one of my hero’s!

31-Dec-21
Someone has no clue. And, I sincerely hope it keeps them from knocking on doors to ask for permission. Please quit denigrating women by using feminine slurs for a jackass, call it what it is. Are you all 12 years old ?

Hoping most of all no deaths from this horrible fire and so far none have been reported.

Good luck to your wife sir, Nebraska has some dandy whitetails !

31-Dec-21
Not surprised Marv was doing what he did. So glad he made it through unscathed, but I'm sure his neighbors weren't so lucky. Tragic for all involved.

31-Dec-21
Like I said soccermom, it gets dry quick after a couple weeks of wind. Today our drought level is gone. Doesn't mean squat.

If you did move here, please go back nick nick soccermom

31-Dec-21
grasshoper. lol. the snow is literally just starting to fall. So no the drought is not gone. even after this snow the drought will still not be gone. we will still be in drought

31-Dec-21

Soccernanny, you are not living in the state of Colorado, you are living in the state of delusion.

31-Dec-21

Yes, delusion

31-Dec-21
soccern23ny, hate to break it to you, be this part of the country lives in a perpetual drought with varying degrees of severity along with occasional wet years thrown in for good measure. Every. Year. The Southwest is an arid, drought stricken land. 10’s of thousands of years of history.

31-Dec-21
AZ8, she would only believe it if MSDNC reported it, or they confirmed it on The View....

31-Dec-21

ryanrc's Link

31-Dec-21
Man! I feel bad for the families that are having to deal with having lost so much. I am happy that it sounds like people were able to get out of the way. Lives can’t be replaced.

31-Dec-21
I’m reading down the list of posters and I don’t see Paul anywhere… Does anyone know how he is doing in all of this?

My brother and his wife have friends who were out of town, and the fire line missed their house by considerably less than one block. I just can’t believe that it’s possible for wildfires to blast through a residential zone like that…

We had to move out of the only home that my boys have ever known after Sandy, and the rental we moved into after that was essentially destroyed by Ida just a few months ago, so my heart really goes out to those who lost even more than we have had to deal with…

These days we’re just feeling blessed that we didn’t end up buying the rental!

I think it’s absolutely miraculous that it sounds like no one was injured or killed in the whole thing… Hats off to all of the rescue folks and all of the people who had the good sense to listen when they were warned off and had the sense to get the heck out of there….

31-Dec-21
This is all boring people nick tacking each other. Just really sad for the families who lost there homes.

31-Dec-21
I’m reading down the list of posters and I don’t see Paul anywhere… Does anyone know how he is doing in all of this?

My brother and his wife have friends who were out of town, and the fire line missed their house by considerably less than one block. I just can’t believe that it’s possible for wildfires to blast through a residential zone like that…

We had to move out of the only home that my boys have ever known after Sandy, and the rental we moved into after that was essentially destroyed by Ida just a few months ago, so my heart really goes out to those who lost even more than we have had to deal with…

These days we’re just feeling blessed that we didn’t end up buying the rental!

I think it’s absolutely miraculous that it sounds like no one was injured or killed in the whole thing… Hats off to all of the rescue folks and all of the people who had the good sense to listen when they were warned off and had the sense to get the heck out of there….

31-Dec-21
Best wishes for all who are affected by this.

31-Dec-21
Everyone MUST get a vaccine and an electric car.

31-Dec-21
Paul's quite a bit north.

31-Dec-21
Paul lives just down the road from my place here in town, and we're a long ways away from the fire. I haven't checked the neighbor's yard to see if a goose attacked him, but assume he's fine.

31-Dec-21
Good to hear. My dad got bit by a duck one time. Left a mark!! LOL

I grew up Front Range. Saw a LOT of Big Wind, but very rarely at this scale. Though there was that time a wind-lifted 4X8 sheet of ply came through the wall just a few inches above the head of my buddy’s sister. Good thing she was a gymnast.

And yeah, many years of Fire Suppression + one good, hot spark never ends well, ANYWHERE.

Kind of a Perfect Storm.

Here’s my take on CO2: It is an extensively PROVEN FACT that CO2-enriched air holds more heat and for longer than a “control” sample… NOT enriched. Call it what you like. Unchallenged science.

And it’s undeniable that all of the carbon that we’ve dug or pumped out of the ground and burned off as fuel (or simply allowed to escape as gas) has made it out into the atmosphere at a rate many thousands or tens of thousands - and actually probably millions - of times faster than it got stored away.

Ask any farmer: hotter air sucks more moisture out of plants and soil. It also sucks more water out of bodies of water like the ocean. That water ends up in the atmosphere, and sooner or later it falls back to earth. That means floods where it comes down and drought where it goes up. Not that hard. There may be a natural cycle at work as well, but if we pesky humans aren’t entirely responsible, we’re doubtless making it faster/worse. Because Math.

JMO, it’s a shame that so much money is going into fighting regulations intended to address the Objective Reality of the situation instead of looking into ways to create jobs and turn a profit by making our air and water cleaner, preserving our top-soil, and figuring out some Humane means of slowing down population growth so that we can feed all of the people and leave room enough for some semblance of Nature to persist.

Just a guess, but 10,000 acre monoclonal stands of roundup-resistant corn for ethanol production is not a sustainable solution. Fracking on public hunting land/national forest doesn’t appeal much, either, and a Pit Mine dug to extract Lithium is as big an environmental disaster as one dug for Coal. Watching people lose their homes doesn’t do anything for me, because Been There, Done That.

I’ll just say this. Just because you, personally, haven’t suffered yet does not mean that nobody else has, and it doesn’t mean that Human Activity had NOTHING to do with it. The fact that it snowed 50 miles north of the fire means Jack. Hell, you get into the mountains and the difference between Drought & Flood can be measured in YARDS.

Just seems to me that the smart move it to kwitcherbelkyakin and figure out how to turn a profit. Instead of whining about what it’ll cost, figure out how much money there is to be made . I don’t know about you guys, but if I could choose between seeing my tax dollars go into R&D subsidies to create good, new jobs vs helping people rebuild after getting wiped out…. I’d take A, every single time.

Does that make me a Libtard???

31-Dec-21
It’s all those electric producing windmills in west Texas. They are stopping the wind and keeping the moisture away from Denver. Sorry. But what can you do? Austin needs that electricity.

I do feel that man is having an effect on the climate. How can we not? But leave it to a rabid liberal democratic atheist to use peoples tragedy to drum up support. Where: on a HUNTING website. Don’t run for office in Texas, well maybe in Austin.

31-Dec-21
We get grants to do selective thinning and fuel reduction around our mountain community, and some property owners are adamantly against it. Need a hand-to-the face emoji.

We can't control climate change and can't control moisture or human behavior in the surrounding NF. But we sure can manage the environment around us to try to mitigate risk and adapt. That it doesn't happen on a big scale on NF land is government obsolescence, as Vilsack admitted last spring.

01-Jan-22
Maybe we are affecting the climate with our pollution, maybe not. Either way, I just actually don’t care much. We will adapt or die off. Whatever.

01-Jan-22
Climate change is similar to Covid.

I would rather deal with both with a strong economy and keeping my freedoms. Neither are worth giving up as part of how we go forward.

01-Jan-22
Leave it to this jackass from NY to always derail a thread. I wouldn’t mind Pat giving him a little vacation.

My sister lost her house in the Boulder County fires. They live in Superior and back up to the Open Space.

Her 2 kitties got left in the house. Sad, sad deal. It'll be hard to explain that to my 3 year old niece.

A fireman came and banged on the door. He likely saved their lives. My sister got out of the house without any shoes. They left one car in the garage and piled into their Suburban with their 3 kids (3 year old and twin 9 month old boys) and 2 labs. That’s how fast it happened. The house 2 doors down was already in flames.

Their entire Sagamore home development is gone, 380 homes. They are staying with friends and trying to determine their next steps. My niece is constantly misbehaving and crying because she doesn’t want to be at their friend’s house and wants to go home.

They’d appreciate your prayers, as will their neighbors.

01-Jan-22
Wow, kscowboy. There is some real life need there, today!

In addition to praying for these people, which I have seen do good for people in concrete as well as spiritual ways, I would like to do something to contribute to their recovery. Bit I don’t like to just give to Salvation Army, ect and have my funds diluted. If you know of a “go fund me” page started for this family, let us know. Or just a general fund set up thru area banks for families.

01-Jan-22

kscowboy's Link
Here you go txhunter58. Thank you!

01-Jan-22

kscowboy's embedded Photo
This is all that’s left of their home. They’ll hopefully get the opportunity to sift through the ashes and possibly find a few personal items they can salvage. I know her engagement and wedding rings are somewhere in the debris. The fire rating on their gun safe was put to the test. I’m hoping for the best there.

01-Jan-22
Man, that stinks kscowboy - Id be interested in how/if the gun safe survived. I keep so many important things in mine and often wonder how safe they are

01-Jan-22
Wow, Blake. Tragic, unthinkable. Thanks for posting the link. We're contributing.

01-Jan-22
It's amazing how in some neighborhoods multiple houses are leveled, but others in the middle of the carnage are totally untouched.

01-Jan-22
So sorry to hear, Blake. Prayers and a donation sent.

01-Jan-22
the earth has warmed and cooled forever - fact there used to be glaciers in northern USA and then it warmed enough to melt them - fact there was a mini-ice age in Europe recorded 1450-1600 then it warmed up - fact

we are trashing this planet - fact

there is a lot that isn't fact floating around too ..... but bottom line is this IMO ...... three things WILL happen in the next 20-30 years

A- temps are still warming ... we need trillions more dollars to do better B- temps have stabilized ... we need trillions more dollars to do better C -temps have went down but not enough ... we need trillions more dollars to do better

It will never, ever, EVER be enough now .... I 100% promise ya'll that, it will always be more and more money needed and control to fight a phantom, unattainable (and unnamed) goal ( like Jaquomo said, what is the temperature we're shooting for ?? )

01-Jan-22
Thanks Bowsite community! I joined this forum back in 2002 and don’t regret it. The acts of kindness I regularly see from this crowd are amazing. Thank you for letting me be a part of it.

01-Jan-22

yooper89's embedded Photo
Couple pictures from when we pulled for the night. Have some video as well but no clue how to add it here. I used to do fire restoration work on a lot of big fires out in California but I have never seen devastation firsthand like this before. As quickly as we’d extinguish one house, there’d be calls on the radio for 5 more down the road. It was nonstop chaos all night long.

01-Jan-22
"Always derail a thread".

Yup, should have just followed status quo and commented the obligatory "thoughts and prayers"

Would have been beautiful if it was one thousand continuous comments all saying "thoughts and prayers". I'm only a jackass to you because I have dissenting views that I'm able to back up with logic and fact. An "always" derailing rofl. Again, only because I have a different view point do you think that. What happened is a tragedy, I have friends who have lost everything from these fires. Lucky myself merely for where my house was located and the direction of the wind. Could have easily been a different story

01-Jan-22
"Yup, should have just followed status quo and commented the obligatory "thoughts and prayers""

Yeah, you should have.

01-Jan-22
Is the fire contained or out?

01-Jan-22
Yes, the fire is out. The’ve gotten around 8” of snow in the area since yesterday.

The cause of the fire was originally thought to be downed power lines, but apparently that wasn’t it. Still undetermined based on the last reporting I saw this morning.

Thanks to those who contributed to help these poor folks out.

Matt

01-Jan-22
Hmm. Gonna be bad if they find out fireworks started it.

Soccer, I am not a global alarmist but I think we prob have some common ground. I don’t think we are being good stewards of this planet and it will eventually come back to bite us. Not in my lifetime but eventually. But the places you interject things and the way you come across just makes me want to take the other side. But I guess that is my problem and not yours.

02-Jan-22
Boulder recently let an arsonist out of jail, and she started another fire.

We just had the legislature pass no bail required laws so poor criminals can get out of jail. We let a boatload of convicted folks out of jail due to covid. The governor commutes a 110 year sentence for a guy who killed 4, down to ten.. Criminals are let go, while victims get the middle finger in our state.

Horrific results, irreplaceable loss whether insured or not. I can't imagine trying to find replacement housing in this market, the challenges are just begining for so many

02-Jan-22
I read an interview with the former mayor of Louisville, who said they were concerned about the possibility of a massive grass fire in the huge unmanaged Boulder County Open Space west of the city - the direction from which huge wind blows on a regular basis. 75-100 mph Chinooks are common there, always have been. But they didn't think it would jump McCaslin Boulevard and get into town.

Colorado historically burned periodically all throughout history (like SoCal). Our beautiful aspens originate from fires. Prairie grasslands burned so the soil could regenerate. The only solution is mitigation, by establishing buffers around development. This big unmanaged grassland was unmitigated right up to the edge of town. Fires are not a matter of "if", but "when".

My wife is in charge of the mitigation efforts where we live, where the USFS has allowed fuel to build up all around us. We get grants ot fund it, yet some idiots fight every effort to thin the perimeter, harassing and monkey-wrenching the contractors, demanding that no trees be cut for any reason. As one nutjob said recently, "If it burns, it burns.."

Wonder how the poor folks in Louisville and Superior feel about that philosophy? Like one person said, "IWe know this happens in the mountains, just never thought it would happen here". Maybe time to take prevention a little more seriously

02-Jan-22
I saw video footage this morning that they believe shows the origin of the fire. It looked like a pile of hay under an old wooden out-building sitting right next to the road. If I had to guess, I'd say it was started by a careless smoker flicking his cig out of his car window.

Matt

02-Jan-22
I saw a similar video and looked like some construction equipment near that road as well. Now 3 missing.

I wondered if a fire break along that open space perimeter would have slowed it down. Not in those winds I fear.

02-Jan-22
https://twitter.com/WeatherNation/status/1476749959533789186?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1476749959533789186%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.hunttalk.com%2Fthreads%2Fboulder-county-fire.310973%2Fpage-4

02-Jan-22
It missed our first home for 10 years by about a block. I built several of the homes in Superior that weren’t as lucky. All the friends I’ve stayed in touch with in the area faired OK, thankfully.

Matt

03-Jan-22
just like a liberal to never let a crisis go to waste. A shooting happens, don't show remorse for the victims, NOPE. Jump on the "ban the guns for the children" mantra before the paint can dry. And here's our local liberal doing the same thing. Just can't think of anything except for their "cause".

https://forums.bowsite.com/TF/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=494935&messages=4&forum=36 Whelp.... the man(Mike Nelson) who wrote "The World's Littlest Book On Climate" and who has spent a lifetime studying climate and meteorology is currently helping forecast an unprecedented winter grass fire on the front range as tens of thousands evacuate their homes and attempt to flee to safety.

But surely this isn't climate related. But if it is, surely it's just normal climate changes. But if it isn't, surely it doesn't have anything to do with man's impact. But if it does, surely it will be a good thing overall "cause warmer is better". But if it isn't better, surely......

I don't know where you guys are gonna move the goal posts after that last step...? That's where we are. We are in between "nothing to do with man's impact" and " warmer will be better".

I just don't know what to say. Crops can wither, water will run dry, fires keep ravaging, ever increasing natural disaster after disaster, and the only thing that changes is how the goal posts get moved to justify doing nothing.(But lemme guess... "nOW's nOt THe tIMe")

*sigh*

(fact... Since june 1st 2021, Phoenix has received more rain than the denver area has)

03-Jan-22
Speaking of Liberals......Anyone else hearing that this fire may have started on the 12 Tribes property? hhhhmmm?

03-Jan-22

Quinn @work's Link

03-Jan-22
Blake so sorry to hear about your sister and everyone else’s house. Donation sent! Any little bit will help em move forward. Prayers to everyone effected! And I’ll echo the fact soccerny whatever could use a vacation granted by the moderators

07-Jan-22

Here are some pics of the damage. This was the Pathfinder they left in the garage when they left.

07-Jan-22
I’ve had a fire before. Just trying to remember every tiny little thing you owned. To write it on the claim is a daunting task.

07-Jan-22
Wow. So much loss. Glad to see their Gofundme page is doing well. But money can’t replace much of what they lost.

07-Jan-22

They finally made it over to the house for the first time today. Thank you all again for your support.

07-Jan-22
Kscowboy - how did the gun safe do?

07-Jan-22
Looking at that I gonna predict that his guns were toast.

07-Jan-22
Can't imagine coming back to that. Awful.

It is insane how hot that fire burned. There is nothing flammable left.

07-Jan-22
Wow....horrible!

08-Jan-22

So far, this is what I’ve received. I’ll get an update and will post it.

10-Jan-22

10-Jan-22
Those gun safe pics make me sick to my stomach, kscowboy. They make me wonder what's the point of trying to protect valuables in a safe. Unbelievable and so tragic.

My thoughts and prayers will continue for your friends, and all the others affected by this tragedy.

Matt

10-Jan-22
Wowzie

11-Jan-22
Vast majority of gun safes are made to protect from fires that get hot, but are put out before they burn the whole house.

11-Jan-22
When you have winds as strong as that blowing on a tinderbox the result is equal to a blowtorch... i'd say the safe did its job considering the situation.

11-Jan-22

Hank_S's embedded Photo
Hank_S's embedded Photo
Interesting thread to read as I haven't posted on (or checked) Bowsite for awhile...since the fire hit.

My house burned: lost everything, except wife, dogs and a few changes of clothes (and car). Pretty surreal. Haven't been able to get the gun safe open; will on Thursday. Really been focused on finding a place to live (while new house is built) and furnishing it.

BUT...planning on archery elk hunting this fall so I have much to do this spring and summer!

Only positive thing in the last 10 days is...Goooooo Dawgs!

11-Jan-22
Wow Hank that is tough. I am just up in Greeley any help I can provide let me know.

11-Jan-22
Hank,

I'm so sorry for you and your wife. Like John said, let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

Matt

12-Jan-22
John & Matt, Thanks for your offers to help! At this point, there's not a lot that can be done to change my situation except by me. I have decent insurance and once I'm into a rental house, I can start to re-build my lifestyle (We'll be in a rental house by next week).

Then, once the local officials finish coordinating with the state and feds, we will build a new house. Gonna take a bit of time (about 24-30 months) but I must've been having to much fun in retirement!

Thanks again for your offers! All the best, Hank

14-Jan-22

Hank_S's embedded Photo
Hank_S's embedded Photo
By the way boyz...those fire proof safes; not so much!

It's a great place to store important papers and firearms to grab as you go out the door!

14-Jan-22
That’s so crazy. Sorry for your loss

14-Jan-22
Wow I never would have thought. Looks like you had a nice collection of O/U shotguns

14-Jan-22
Hank, sorry for all you've been through but it sounds like you have the right attitude. Can I ask what brand of safe you had?

15-Jan-22
Thanks for the good thoughts!

I had a Liberty safe; mid level protection because I lived within 1/2 mile of the fire station...the response would be quick to put out a house fire, right? Unfortunately, the fire response was overwhelmed and they were more involved with getting people out of harms way.

I had a shotgun for every occasion: skeet, sporting clays, pheasant hunting, duck hunting and goose hunting...plus a number of heirloom guns. I think that moving forward I'll be a one shotgun guy!

15-Jan-22
Simply awful, Hank. Were you able to grab any weapons at all before evacuating?

Matt

15-Jan-22
That is a nightmare Hank. Unfortunately for that horrific fire I’m not sure any portable home safes would have held up. I think most safes are for maybe :30 of protection.

Sorry for every thing you and the city are going through.

16-Jan-22
Matt, I didn't get any long guns out...just the concealed carry handguns and car gun.

This truly is an interesting experience that I wouldn't wish on anybody!

16-Jan-22
Hank, I had a barn/shop fire 20 yrs ago. Total loss, shop equipment, vehicles, trailers, goose neck living quarters horse trailer. Expense horse tack and saddles. A lot of animal mounts. My heated work shop.

For years every time I would need a screw, bolt, or a specific tool for a task I would have to go buy it again.

It becomes a part-time job remembering and listing every screw, nut, bolt, tool equipment for the insurance company

it’s a long arduous, stressful process. I ended up haggling and settling on a dollar amount that I was happy with I can’t imagine doing that for my house. it was bad enough for a shop.

16-Jan-22
"It becomes a part-time job remembering and listing every screw, nut, bolt, tool equipment for the insurance company"

Yup; just starting this process...working through the structure now. The contents will be a whole different animal!

Fortunately, the last thing that I did before leaving was to walk through the entire house (and basement) and make a video with my phone...so far, that has been invaluable!!!

16-Jan-22
Very smart Hank. They said to do that occasionally because you can’t possibly remember every tiny little thing in every square inch of your house until you go to use it. Just replacing the drawers and cans and boxes of nails, bolts, washers, screws is a lot of money, let alone tools and power tools.

• Sitka Gear