Genesis 04-Jan-22
EmbryOklahoma 04-Jan-22
JohnMC 04-Jan-22
Blood 04-Jan-22
EmbryOklahoma 04-Jan-22
Blood 04-Jan-22
Butcherboy 04-Jan-22
03-Jan-22
I was wanting to ship my landowner some sausage and summer sausage. The USPS wanted $96 for a two day guaranteed shipment… steep for my pocket book. They also had one that was two day non-guaranteed, at $29.

My question, would about 6 lbs of meat stay frozen if it took say 3 days to get there. I would be using the frozen gel packs and tightly packaged in a styrofoam container and also put into a tight fitting shipping box. How long do you feel it would be safe? Also, is it legal to send venison over state lines as a gift?

Thanks!

03-Jan-22
I’ve never had legal issues shipping venison but I’ve also never asked. I would sandwich the sausage in the middle of the summer sausage and hope for the best.

03-Jan-22
Tape the lid on and I would be comfortable for 5 days this time of year. As long as day time temps are 50 or below.

03-Jan-22
Ship it overnight. Suck the cost up and don't lose sleep over it

Do it right or don't do it

03-Jan-22
Overnight me $100 Robert. I won’t lose sleep that way. lol

03-Jan-22
Rick,

In doing some limited research I don't see any issues on process meat which is what you would be shipping. This takes CWD out of the equation. The biggest topic covered is the proper packing process and the process if using dry ice.

My consultation fee for research is $25. Please send monies to me when Robert sends you the $100.

I'm interested in other folks' experiences with shipping processed meat. Best of luck.

03-Jan-22
Uber eats?

03-Jan-22
Thanks, Greg. I’m thinking more and more that it will be fine. Especially with colder temps. I’ll send your $25 next Tuesday. lol

Thanks, John. (Roll eyes) lol

03-Jan-22
Can you seal in some dry ice to give the shipment a bit of extra time?

03-Jan-22
Matt, I believe you can but then it’s a different price and a bit more of a hassle. You have to claim it (dry ice) and also the package has to “breathe”. I think we’re just going to send the cured meats and I feel good about shipping it without worries.

04-Jan-22
I have shipped food many times, across the country. I buy the thin blue foam insulation from Home Depot and cut it to fit the entire cardboard box that I use to ship. Then I line with dry ice, fill with the food, cover with dry ice, then foam, close the box and SEAL it up tight, every seam and side of the box with packing tape. Never had a problem and I have shipped various meats, cooked and raw, lasagna, dumplings, etc...

04-Jan-22
Try a shipment to Iowa first and I'll let you know if it made it okay. ;-)

04-Jan-22
I've shipped from TX to IL several times without a problem.

First: Get a heavy foam container (like those used by Omaha Steaks), or purchase an appropriate size igloo cooler (save cardboard box).

Next : Vac seal your frozen meat.

If you're shipping a cooler full, layer a furniture pad (similar) on the bottom and sides.

Load your meat tightly to minimize air space, cover with another pad. Seal cooler with duct tape.

Place the cooler in cardboard box and ship.

You should be good to go.

04-Jan-22
Rick, your suggestion of a styrofoam container like what's used to send medical supplies or like someone mentioned Omaha steaks and the frozen packs should be fine for 2 days. I have shipped quite a bit overnight but never 2 days or longer(helps when you work for an overnight shipping company too). My only concern with a 2+ day shipment is the packages are unloaded/stored in warehouses that generally are heated to some degree. If it did end up sitting in a 70 degree warehouse for a couple of days, it's likely to start thawing.

If I were closer to Tulsa, I'd offer to send it for you.

04-Jan-22
Ship it UPS Next Day Air. It will be delivered the next day by 10:30.

Next Day Air Saver is less expensive, and will be delivered by 3:00 pm.

It's a small price to pay for the privilege to hunt on someone else's land.

04-Jan-22
This time of year I wouldn't be too worried, temps are cold everywhere. In the summer, no, but now sure go with the 3-day. Just ship it on a Monday so you don't have a weekend transit/delivery issue.

04-Jan-22
Good points all! Thank you.

The box/foam cooler I am using is actually one from Omaha meats. Someone from work saved it for me. :)

04-Jan-22
Every year for Christmas, I ship smoked summer sausage, snack sticks and jerky to my 2 sisters that live out of state.

I package the meat in a box, prepare it to ship and put it in the freezer.

The next day, I’ll take the boxes to the post office about mid-afternoon. That way I know they will get shipped that day.

My sisters say the meat is still cold 3-4 days later.

It ain’t ice cream

04-Jan-22
My guess is if you froze it solid for 2-3 days and added some cold packs and consiering the ambient temps this time of year you would be okay with your original plan

04-Jan-22
Thanks guys!

04-Jan-22
Where are you shipping to?

04-Jan-22
Embry, find someone with with a business FedEx or UPS account and ship it on them for two day delivery. Your cooler will be fine right now. Reimburse them. It’s waaaaaayyyyy cheaper when you use a business account. Good luck.

04-Jan-22
Good call, Blood. I think I’ll use my UPS work account.

John… Houston area.

04-Jan-22
Embry, find someone with with a business FedEx or UPS account and ship it on them for two day delivery. Your cooler will be fine right now. Reimburse them. It’s waaaaaayyyyy cheaper when you use a business account. Good luck.

04-Jan-22
I’ve shipped big quantities of meat all over the country. I always use a styrofoam lined box. The secret is to have the box full of frozen meat so it acts like one solid piece which is harder for it to thaw. Make your box and styrofoam fit the amount you are going to send. I never use gel packs or dry ice. Just line the box with styrofoam on the bottom, sides, and the top. Make the styrofoam pieces a tight fit. Place all your meat inside and then the lid. Fold your box over that and tape it tight. Should be good to go even shipping ground. The summer sausage may thaw some but it won’t hurt it since it should be a cured product anyhow.

• Sitka Gear