jdbbowhunter 16-Jan-22
Butcherboy 16-Jan-22
milnrick 16-Jan-22
Butcherboy 16-Jan-22
peterk1234 16-Jan-22
320 bull 17-Jan-22
milnrick 17-Jan-22
16-Jan-22
I'm grinding my last deer for the year and I have a few pounds of pork fat left over. It is not easy to come by locally so I would like to squirrel away what I have. How long will it last if I freeze it? My plan is to possibly use it to grind into some burger I already have ground without fat. I'm sure it is fine for the short term but how long would it keep?

16-Jan-22
I've froze it and used it the next year, so I know it will last a year. The main thing is to get a good tight seal on it.

16-Jan-22
Should be ok if you vacuum seal it.

16-Jan-22
Ben x2

16-Jan-22
Have done it , with no problems.

16-Jan-22
If you leave it in a plastic bag like a grocery sack bag or ziplock bag it will go rancid. It will last longer if you vacuum seal it. I just threw away a hundred lbs or so of pork fat I saved last year for doing WG sausage. I quit processing WG so I ended up not using it. I only stored it in 10 lb batches in grocery sack bags because I went threw it so fast there was no need to vacuum seal it. I still make sausages for people with their WG but they have to bring it in clean, trimmed, ready to grind. I get very few now that want to bring it in without me processing it so I don’t save much pork fat anymore.

16-Jan-22
Speaking of freezing fat, can beef fat be vac sealed and frozen for use to make WG burger? How long will it keep?

16-Jan-22
If vacuum sealed, beef fat will last quite a while as well. As for how long, it varies. Just check it before you use it the next time. If it’s yellow or starting to look a little brownish with a slight odor, discard it.

16-Jan-22
Yup.... freeze it all the time. Just thawed 15 pounds of it to grind into 50 pounds of ground turkey meat.

17-Jan-22
I just used some vac sealed that was 18 months old from a hog I raised. Was like the day I put it in there. This was leaf fat.

17-Jan-22
Thank you

• Sitka Gear