Jim B 09-Aug-17
Jim B 10-Aug-17
Jim B 10-Aug-17
08-Aug-17

shedhorn's embedded Photo
Supposed to be a prairie rattler?
shedhorn's embedded Photo
Supposed to be a prairie rattler?
Was told about this picture and went looking for it. Purported to be taken just outside of Ennis Montana. Can't be true. Or I sure hope it isn't because I don't like snakes and I hunt there.

08-Aug-17
It's real. A REAL Short guy holding a snake up to the camera with a REAL long snake stick.

08-Aug-17
Ken nailed it

08-Aug-17
Prairie Rattlers don't usually get that big, Diamondback probably.

08-Aug-17
I've seen them bigger than that all over SW New Mexico. ;)

08-Aug-17
Look at the shadow of the stick. We all know how just an arms length effects the size of a trout or an elk rack.

08-Aug-17
Jk the ones I've seen there aren't quite that big.

08-Aug-17

08-Aug-17
When I was a kid, about 14ish, I killed a 7' 6" Western Diamond back in Rancho Bernardo Ca. Right by San Diego! From what I recall, Prairie Rattlers usually only get 3-4 ft.

That's still a big snake!!!!

08-Aug-17
Man I was hoping this was something else.

08-Aug-17
South Texas rattlers will get that big, but I worked Western ND and Eastern Montana and never saw a rattler over 3' long. We would find them in the pipe ditch all the time. Still don't want to get bitten by one though, no matter the size. I killed one javelina hunting that was seven feet long and his head was as big as my fist ! South of Uvalde, Texas on a bowhunting only ranch but I had a .22 mag in my pocket, and I emptied it on him. My son and a friend of his killed two more the same afternoon that were about 5.5 ft. long. Nasty looking critters. Uh, we did not venture off into the brush !

08-Aug-17

huntinelk's embedded Photo
huntinelk's embedded Photo
I think this one came from the same area...

08-Aug-17
It is was truly in Montana then it has to be a prairie rattler I think. And I've never heard of one of those getting that big. I wonder about the shadows. You can see the shadow of the guy's leg. And you can see the shadow of the stick. I can see that the stick is held way out there (my favorite trick for the BIG fish I catch) but even so I think with the snake's tail looking to be almost on the ground there should be a shadow of it at the same angle as the guy's leg.

That's for the first picture but looking closer at the picture right above this post, there is the same issue.

08-Aug-17
Regardless how long of a stick it is, that's a big rattler.

08-Aug-17
Sean...yup, me too!

08-Aug-17
Regardless how long of a stick it is, that's a big rattler.

08-Aug-17
Ain't no prairie rattler!!!!

08-Aug-17

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Nothing worse than pissing on a rock pile and having a rattler start buzzing. I saw a video of an eastern rattler the other day crossing a road that was huge. I'm not terrified by them, I just don't like surprises

08-Aug-17

MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
MTNRCHR's embedded Photo
Real or Fake?

08-Aug-17
From wiki:

"This species commonly grows to more than 100 cm (3.3 ft) in length. The maximum recorded size is 151.5 cm (4.97 ft). In Montana, specimens occasionally exceed 120 centimetres (3.9 ft) in length; the species reaches its maximum size in this region."

09-Aug-17
MTNRCHR -- does it matter?????

09-Aug-17
Not at all...

09-Aug-17
Kodiak, where I live in Oklahoma I've seen prairie rattlers around 54-56" and diamond backs that get 6+ and these snakes don't compare to a south Texas snake. My brother, nephew, and my moms husband hunt snakes and have caught prairies over 54. My moms husband use to go snake hunting in south Texas and those snakes are unreal. He's caught some as big around as softballs and over 7'. The ones I've seen in SW New Mexico while elk hunting weren't bigger than 5' but I'm sure there are some there that are.

09-Aug-17
Thank God MTNRCHR saved this thread! I totally agree with vooper89. If that pic showed the floor you'd see a huge shadow! Mike

09-Aug-17

09-Aug-17
From a .gov site on google.

Adults will range in length from 30-40 inches, with a record of 57 inches. Three-foot rattlesnakes normally weigh 1 pound (a 54-inch snake weighed 3 1/2 pounds).

09-Aug-17
Several years ago I saw a few on a North Dakota pronghorn hunt and it seemed like they were all about 3 feet.

Cool critter.

09-Aug-17
As stated,it's a big prairie rattler,held way out,in front of the camera,taken not too far from here,I believe it was actually Twin Bridges,MT.,at a den.The snake is probably 4.5',maybe a little more.That's big for a prairie rattler.I have friends who know the man in the picture.

09-Aug-17
MTNRCHR: Real. Real expensive. Look just like my wife's.

09-Aug-17

Burt's embedded Photo
Burt's embedded Photo
I would say the picture could be real, .but definitely the classic "hold-closer-to-camera" deal.

This is a lovely Alabama specimen from the trap shooting club. No tricks here. Just a solid 5 footer on the tailgate.

09-Aug-17
FAKE THE SHADOW ON THE POLE IS WRONG GIVEN HIS FEET AND THE SUN. I ALSO THINK YOU WOULD SEE THE SNAKES SHADOW. I ALSO QUESTION THE FUZZY GREY AREA....LOOKS SUPER-IMPOSED

09-Aug-17
Good job Jeff Martin. You are 100% correct, the shadows make no sense.

09-Aug-17
Sorry but the picture is real.The original picture had more in it.Nothing wrong with the shadows.I'm surprised at this day in age,people don't understand camera perspective.Most snake tongs are 40" long,minimum,for that type work- could be 48".That's a lot of pole to shove toward the camera.That is a den,fenced in with 1/4" mesh.

10-Aug-17
https://trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5971890#Post5971890

10-Aug-17

Jim B's embedded Photo
Jim B's embedded Photo
I tried everything to get that picture to post here but it wouldn't let me so I posted it elsewhere.Hope you can cut and paste it to view.It shows the rest of the picture and I think the shadows make more sense when you see all of it.

• Sitka Gear