TrapperKayak 13-Feb-18
lawdy 13-Feb-18
lawdy 13-Feb-18
t-roy 13-Feb-18
lawdy 13-Feb-18
10-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
Thought I would post some pictures of areas I hunt. This is the entrance of the 27,000 acre, gated grant I hunt, a lot.

10-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
This is my beagle, ziggy, ready to go.

10-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
This is a huge heath. The ridge in the background is where I logged with horses one summer. I have killed a lot of deer and a couple bear up there. Did a lynx project there and got 2 pictures of lynx.

10-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
This is the Diamond River. Good fishing if you hit it right.

10-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
This is what we locals call the Gorge. Deep pools about 20 feet deep. In May, I have caught some nice salmon and squaretail there. Three years ago, on Dec 7, 8 migrating deer tried to cross on thin ice. I was bowhunting and found them. Two bucks were still alive but drowned before my eyes.

10-Feb-18
I hunted this morning with a fella in my church. He's from NH and apparently a well known beagler. Dana Robinson is his name, and his kennel is Shady Grove Beagles. He's been in TN for around thirty years now. Just wondered if you might know him.

10-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
This is an old skidder trail I hare hunt. It is 2 miles from the gate.

10-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
This is an old skidder trail I hare hunt. It is 2 miles from the gate.

10-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
If you walk 3 miles up this logging road, go to the end of an old wood yard, you will find an old abandoned culvert. In that culvert is a plastic sled. Five years ago me and a buck slid down that road after dark. I bet we were doing 40 when we damn near got launched off a logging bridge.

10-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
This picture is the type of cover we have up here. No hare today, I just let ziggy run while I tried to get a picture of a hare. Too fast for me plus we had over a foot of new snow. Hard snowshoeing

10-Feb-18
Panther, I don't know him. I bet though that we crossed paths if he hunted up here.

10-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
One of our local residents. Caught her on a trail cam as she walked off after I released her from a foothold on my land.

10-Feb-18
Some nice pics, lawdy.

10-Feb-18
Thanks for sharing!

10-Feb-18
Amazing country

11-Feb-18
Beautiful area ,thx for posting...

11-Feb-18
Thanks for sharing

11-Feb-18
NH is a beautiful state thx for sharing

11-Feb-18
beagle, bow and bunnies. Nice

11-Feb-18
Cool area - thanks for sharing.

11-Feb-18
Very cool lawdy !!

11-Feb-18
How did you get that close to release? But your coat over her?

11-Feb-18
White Falcon, I stepped on her with a snowshoe, released the trap, checked her foot which was fine and stepped back. She sat there giving me hell, and when she realized she was free, walked off. The big males are really exciting to release and sometimes I have to use a catchpole. Fishers can be downright dangerous. A friend of mine released a big male and it went for his neck. If his trapping partner hadn't been there, he could have been killed.

11-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
Today I went in through Maine and crossed into NH three miles up on the Parmachenee Road.

11-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
A CB is a lifesaver up here as logging trucks do not move for you. You announce where you are and the truckers do likewise. Hear a truck coming a mile away, you pull over to let them by. Two snowmobilers riding illegally on a plowed logging road found out the hard way. They saw the truck coming as they were parked in the middle of a hill, realized he couldn't stop, and they bailed. He ran right over the machines. This is the unplowed road at the 4 mile mark I snowshoed up

11-Feb-18
Why are you releasing them, lawdy? Season closed, quota filled? Also, what animals were you targeting when you caught the bobs as well as the fishers?

11-Feb-18
After one mile I reached the Eastside Road. My brother got a moose permit and I found a big bull scouting. He too is a tracker, tracked it on an early snow for a couple miles and shot it bedded with a cow a good mile up on a ridge. I got it out with a draft horse. Worked like a charm because atv's are not legal there.

11-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
Eastside road
lawdy's embedded Photo
Eastside road
Oops, here is the picture

11-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
Abbot Brook
lawdy's embedded Photo
Abbot Brook
This is Abbot Brook, take my granddaughter fishing here. Full of native trout. We cook them right there.

11-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
Bye bye Ziggy, I'm screwed.
lawdy's embedded Photo
Bye bye Ziggy, I'm screwed.
The hare got by me as I looked the other way. Got a picture of Ziggy running him. I never saw Ziggy again until I caught him three hours later. The hare lined out on me off that ridge, crossed a brook, and went up another ridge into Maine. I caught Zig as he came down his backtrack. I let the hare go by as I was over a half mile from a trail in 5 feet of soft snow.

11-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
Hard snowshoeing for a 71 yearold.
lawdy's embedded Photo
Hard snowshoeing for a 71 yearold.
This is the track I made climbing that ridge and going back after I intercepted Ziggy. I still had over a mile to go to reach the plowed road and another mile to my pickup. I was beat.

11-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
Here is a piece of equipment you logging guys will recognize. I spent a summer in a logging camp 30 miles up in the woods before these came. I was a yard cutter.

11-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
Deer feeding
lawdy's embedded Photo
Deer feeding
Driving home I snapped a picture of a deer in the Wilsons Mills feeding yard.

11-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
Deer crossing the road
lawdy's embedded Photo
Deer crossing the road
I am going back tomorrow. Still trying to get a picture of a hare. The bobcat I released because in NH they are protected. I was targeting coyote. It has been a nasty winter for trapping.

11-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
Azisscoos Mtn
lawdy's embedded Photo
Azisscoos Mtn
Aziscoos Mountain. I shot a buck up there and didn't get out of the woods with it until 5 AM the next morning. That was when I was a lot younger.

11-Feb-18
In AK we had quite a long stretch with large numbers. Hunted them with .22 pistol. In MN it's been a very long time since we have had a hare "explosion". Might be our 3,000 wolves.

How about where you are?

12-Feb-18
Our hare population goes through cycles. Right now it is in a downturn. We don't have wolves here and I doubt that with a low deer population, moose rapidly disappearing, we will see them. As far as wolves and hare, with 5 feet of soft snow, predators are starting to hurt up here. Up in Newfoundland I visit with Fish and Wildlife every summer. Their position is firm, no wolves in Newfoundland, moose are too big an economic factor plus sustenance. They think that we are nuts to wish wolves on a state. Any wolf released there will be killed by any means necessary. I love how people that don't live in a state want the locals to live by their standards. We get that attitude all the time from the feds and flatlanders that move up here. They try to turn this place into the hellholes they escaped from. If you love wolves, bring them to your own state. Leave us alone.

12-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
I finally had a hare stop to check me out. He is between the t yellow birches

12-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
Here comes Ziggy. I let my last arrow go on that hare, never found it and the hare lives. That wipes out my culled arrows until I make some more. Have a bunch of birch shafts. The flinter goes tomorrow.

12-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
Here is the deer kill report for the past seasons on this 27,000 acres. Only 2 deer killed in 2017. This also includes part of the Atkinson Grant as all deer kills pass through this gate.

12-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
Two that didn't migrate to the feeding yards. 15 miles in off an active logging site. I survey this remote deer yard every year and was overjoyed to find 5 or 6 deer there. The coyotes left for easy pickings around the feeding yards. These guys will survive. Hopefully their kids will stay next winter along with them. It is a nice deer yard with great cover and forage.

13-Feb-18
Looks like a phenomenal place Lawdy....thanks for sharing your adventure!

Mark

13-Feb-18
Looks like fun, love that beagle!

—jim

13-Feb-18
Extraordinary photos, stories, and land, Lawdy. Thanks for sharing it.

13-Feb-18
Just got in from running the begle. The hares are running crazy this year. They line out for parts unknown and by the time you get there they whiz by and you get to snowshoe all the way back. At least the coyotes are gone from the remote areas as they have followed the deer to the feeding yards. The bobcats are still around but they don't bother hounds.

13-Feb-18

lawdy's embedded Photo
lawdy's embedded Photo
This is a maple sugaring operation near us. Over 200 acres of maples, 20,000 feet of lines. They boil 20,000 gallons of sap per day with 30,000 gallons of storage so they can go 24/7. I have been there when they open the spigot in the morning. It's a gusher. The equipment cost 1.5 million dollars. One guys job is to cruise the orchard repairing lines that moose take out. They sell maple syrup in their plant, but most of it goes in 55 gallon barrels and is sold overseas.

13-Feb-18
Can you explain about the maple sugaring operation a little, lawdy? 20,000’ of lines? Are there lines run to each tree tapped and then they run to a central point? Just curious.

13-Feb-18
The lines from several trees merge into one line. They ultimately end up with about a dozen big lines coming in to the sugar house. They can't all go to one line because the pressure would be too much. It is a gravity feed. When the sap runs I will try to get pictures. I tap trees on my land and a neighbor collects it and I trade it for a few gallons of syrup. Those lines and spigots stay there all year.

• Sitka Gear