Archerontario 23-Jan-10
guidermd 23-Jan-10
sticksender 24-Jan-10
Muzzy0813 24-Jan-10
DaveBBowhunt73 24-Jan-10
squirell hunter 24-Jan-10
Zbone 24-Jan-10
10-Oct-04
Cris on boss's puter, Anyone know how to make a cheap easy to use deer feeder. I heard you can make one with a hole in a bucket and a hose in it to dispense corn. Also how can I plant some clover or wheat this time of year without plowing up the gound. Impossiible in the mountain.

11-Oct-04
I have a few feeders that I built myself. I took a 5 foot peice of 4" PVC with a 45 degree angle bracket on the bottom. I glue a cap on the bottom and have a cap I can take back off on the top. The whole thing costs like $8. Pretty easy. I did drill a few small holes in the bottom to let water drain out. I just use tie downs to strap it to the tree. Try it!

11-Oct-04
Hey mlind, exactly, I built the same thing a few years back, I have two, just attach to a tree, I use ratchet staps and pour in horse feed, custom mix they call it and the deer seem to like it, I hang about 3 feet off the ground so the porkies can;t get into it, have a good one lads and be safe out there.

11-Oct-04
I only use mine in the winter months just to try and get pictures of the bucks that made it through the year. I used corn and deer pellets but the coons would come along and empty the whole feeder out on the ground and only eat the corn. Then the pellets would get all wet and the deer wouldnt even eat them then. You might want to rig up something so the coons cant get in it! just a reminder! Also if you put a few bungee cords on it somehow, you can make it so a buck has to push his antlers against the cord to get at the food and hopefully shed an antler at your feeder. I seen some guy was selling a contraption that did that at the deer classic around here. Good idea but too easy to copy to have to buy it.

12-Oct-04
Plastic sump pump basin. relatively cheap. Has a lid with it to. Core some holes and put PVC tubes with a 45 degree elbow facing up( to the sky)into it. attach with silicone caulking. You can even hang it from a wire to keep coons out. the deer can get their muzzel into it and eat.

12-Oct-04
I use and make my own Deer feeders also and they are effective and cheap to make.

5 gal. bucket with lid. 4 ft peace of waterhose(old hose laying around the yard). 2 foot long stick/Dowl rod.(finger size) Drill 2 holes one on each side of the bucket about 2 in. from the (top). Cut out a hole(about the size of a Gold dollar) in the center bottom of the bucket.(Be careful not to cut to big of a hole in the bottom of the bottom or the corn will pour thru to fast). Take the waterhose and put it through the bottom hole in the bucket,pull it up to where the first 2 holes were drilled. Cut a hole through the top of the waterhose and put the stick/rod through the 2 drilled holes and the waterhose so the water hose hangs straight down through the bottom hole. Tie a rope on the handle and pull up the tree about 8 ft. Cut a limb and stick it into the bottom of the hose so it will be barley touching the ground.(I do this so when the deer eat they will bump the limb and corn will fall also the wind will blow and make the corn fall.)

This is simple,wont spook deer,easy to move,and cheap to make.

Brittman

19-Jun-07
I have heard of a similar feeder but instead of using a hose such as Brittman said, use a broom handle .... also drill two holes about 2 inches from the center hole for the broom on both sides....makes two holes...now drill a hole about 12 inches from the end of the broom handle and stick it through the hole in the bottom of the bucket...take a clothes hanger and run through one hole, through the broom handle and out of the the other hole..bend the ends up on the clothes hanger so that the clothes hanger holds the broom handle on the inside of the bucket and fill with corn...as stated, allow the bottom of the broom handle to rest close to the ground about 3 or 4 foot so that the deer will hit it when feeding and the corn will flow...

23-Jan-10

Muzzy0813's embedded Photo
Muzzy0813's embedded Photo
I made on out of a 50 Gallon Platic Barrel. Cut holes around the bottom on all 4 sides. holds alot of corn.....

23-Jan-10

Archerontario's embedded Photo
Archerontario's embedded Photo

23-Jan-10

guidermd's embedded Photo
guidermd's embedded Photo
pvc works great, the 5 gallon bucket works great, or you can pour it on the ground. they will eat it regardless. i also use black culvert pipe, 15 inch works good. cut the pipe every 5 rings and just set it on the ground and fill with corn.

24-Jan-10
The home-made feeder pictured below works fairly well. Consisting simply of a securely-covered 44 gallon heavy-duty plastic trash can with 2 inch holes bored into the heel on opposite sides. It may take a LONG time for the older deer to get accustomed to it though. OTOH, the turkeys, young deer, racoons, squirrels and crows waste no time hitting it regularly ;)

Just what I've found, but small pails or 4" PVC pipe are too small for what I need. Once the deer here get up to speed and regularly eating the corn, at least where I feed, they consume up to 100 lbs per day. Especially when good snow cover is on the ground. I have this one sitting on a large flat beam to keep the corn out of the mud.

24-Jan-10
I used The tool for cutting out a Hole to put in a door knob, I think 2" or 3". Then I used a Jig Saw to cut out the lip at the very bottom then sat on 2 (2" x 4") to keep water from gettin in the bottom.

24-Jan-10
definitely no bears in these areas

24-Jan-10
55 gal. drum with a parking cone put in the bottom standing upright.cut 4 holes in the bottom right where the sides start put a few red bricks under it and fill it up.the cone helps with feeding the corn out when the barrel starts getting low.

24-Jan-10

Zbone's embedded Photo
Zbone's embedded Photo
One of mine (photo attached) in pretty simple like drblackard described a 5 gallon bucket with a rod through the middle, but have a little trouble understanding Brittman’s concept. Anyone have any pictures of the garden hose type thingy… Thanx

• Sitka Gear