BB 15-Dec-06
mike665 16-Dec-06
mike665 17-Dec-06
mike665 17-Dec-06
mike665 18-Dec-06
TD 18-Dec-06
piton 16-Mar-09
02-Jul-06
Just read a story in bowhunting magazine, and a Idaho outfitter advocated taking frontal shots. Anyone take head-on shots, and how heavy a setup do you use ?

02-Jul-06
Oh mercy...you just opened up a can of big worms! Get your popcorn out guys, it's gonna be a long, long, Loooong, thread!

02-Jul-06
...and one of the most respected members of this site advocating them..

Not a shot for the inexperienced hunter, you must know anatomy intimately, and the shot be within 10 yards.

Anything beyond this IMO is too much risk.

You are normally talking about an animal who is looking DIRECTLY at you. One flinch from you or him means a wounded animal.

The weight of your setup should not make that big a difference here (given it's decent for elk), as a proper shot will not need to penetrate any bone.

02-Jul-06
I've killed three deer with frontal shots in 24 years, all on the ground and under 10 yards. Not one took more than three steps. Certainly not my favorite shot, but it works. I won't ever look for the shot, but when it's there and all is right, the arrow is flyin. I'd do the same on an elk, it's a larger target area. Understand though, it has to be just right.

I don't know about the butt shot, never had that opportunity. It would be harder for me feel good about it I think. There is also a good chance that you'll get a quartering away shot in a few steps, and I'd rather take that shot. Slip it in right behind the ribs...

02-Jul-06
It's a good shot in limited circumstances.

02-Jul-06

Hotm00n's Link
WAIT !!!! let me get popcorn first

02-Jul-06
I saw a guy do it on a hunter specialty pretty wild, I could mae that shot inside of 20 yds allday long but personally wouldnt chance it on a live bull just "my code" not throwing stones.

02-Jul-06
Truthfully speaking from experience!One year ago,6/6,15 yards&all I have are bad memmories!I was positive I could make that shot & I hit him right where I wanted, but it was the wrong spot.The only positive thing about this story is that I saw the same bull 4 days later working a herd of cows.Slight limp,but bugling his head off.No No NO,not ever again!

02-Jul-06
if you hit the wind pipe and not the "juggler" you just gave an elk an unecessary traechyotomy. Kinda risky. I shoot hundreds of five spot rounds during the winter and can drive tacks at 20 yds but on a live bull things get hairy sometimes. :-)

02-Jul-06
Ive seen multiple bulls shot this way die within ten yards of impact. Only heard of one not being recovered. He was shot in the 80's, shot was too low, arrow went in an inch or so, fell out. I've been on the pro side of this debaate on here for years.

the THING, we will need some more info on your negative response. Obviosly, the texas heart shot is a bad idea, though it does kill animals.

THe point is, no ytour quarry intimately, at any given time they will be giving you a lethal opportunity, know the ones you can take or can't... ALL shots on game should only be taken AFTER knowing intimately where the arrow should be placed. In my experince, the frontal shot is a great shot. More lethal than possibly any other. Animals hit right "frontally" will die, fast. Even textbook broadside shots sometimes are lost.

Of course, you could just look it up in the past threads, you'll have hours of reading.

02-Jul-06
I would only condone it if wearing a scentlock suit shooting a x-bow with expandables

02-Jul-06
can somebody show an elk otomy from the front, this is interesting , who cares about the archives id like to revisit if you all dont mind.

02-Jul-06
came home empty handed twice, bulls at less than twenty yards one at about ten, will not take that shot now matter what equipment I am shooting.

Good huntin Mike in Mo.

02-Jul-06
Guys I would never try a head on shot trying to hit one in the chest. But on the other hand I have killed 16 bulls out of 16 Quarting to Me I shoot them under the sholder and it comes out there butt. When there comming at you you can see the Muscles ripple where that sholder is and all you have is Ribs there the area is about 4inches wide and 18 inches tall at 10 yds its a slam Dunk. Years ago I called in 3 Bulls in 3 days and my buddy tryed to shoot them in the chest head on and we lost all three. After the third one we have never hunted togeather again.

02-Jul-06
Sorry, I meant negative, as in against the shot. :-) Not like a negative, bad post.

oldbowhunter, are you still out there? You posted an awesome picture once of the bulls frontal skelatal structure.

"This is a basic shot, providing you understand elk anatomy and skeletal structure.

There are several points to make, so that if you decide to take this opportunity you can pull it off successfully.

1. The sternum (brisket)projects ABOVE the pectorals. Aim too low and you get into trouble. However, theres only ribs on either side of the sternum. So if he has a front leg back, there's a pathway to the vitals between the sternum and the humerus.

2. There is a large void framed by the cervical vertebrae (spine), sternum, scapulae and humeri. From directly in front, there's not even a rib to impede the broadhead. Use the outline of the bottom and sides of the dark mane as a benchmark, but stay ABOVE the sternum. Too high is better than too low.

3. Seldom does an animal wind up facing you squarely. Don't forget to figure the angle to the vitals.

4. How often do you practice shooting to a mark from 10 feet? 5 yards? 10 yards? 15 yards? You need to be as familiar with where your bow hits at these ranges as you are where it hits at 20, 30, 40, etc.

Once you know where the zone is, shoot with confidence.

OBH"

I think you were the one who posted it. IT could hae been BB though.

I have a few pics I could dig up. IT is also lethal hitting them quartering hard to you, in front of the front leg. Again, the anatomy of the animal screams, shoot me here. No bones to speak of.

If the above bull, that was hit with this shot, was hit in the right spot, the arrow would bury in at least a foot in a half. it is all soft tissue in there. If not, like I stated, it would barely penetrate, and the bull would limp away.

But in the end, a Democrat is hard pressed to turn into a Replublican, as was once said be Norseman. If you might plan on taking any shot than the textbook broadside, learn it and know it. If not, don't take it. And, if you're not confident, don't take it. If you hate it, then hate it, and don't take it. I will continue to kill elk this way. keep smilin guys....this could get long.

03-Jul-06
It is a great shot IF you know where to shoot and you are confident in your ability to make the shot. For most guys, that is a big "IF". Having shot 2 animals head on over my bowhunting career, I can attest to the fact that it isn't a shot angle I am generally comfortable with. But both times it was deadly effective.

03-Jul-06
I made one of these shots by accident. The bull was broadside but spun around as I released the arrow. It took him between the chest and shoulder. He dropped on the spot. It took out one lung and burried in the spine. The bull tried to stand but could not. I put a finisher in him at close range. I had not intended to take that shot, but the bull turned into the arrow. Obviously, this placement works. I got 16" of penetration or so and the Slick Trick Magnum stopped in the spine. check link for shot placement. It must have slipped behind the shoulder.

03-Jul-06
I also saw the TV shot on HS.It worked so well it gave me too much confidence & I tried a shot that I've preached about not taking for my entire bowhunting life.I shoot dots nearly year round,and I hit my dot.The dot on that bull just was'nt anatomically(SP) correct.Know the structure better than I did.We as bowhunters owe that to the animals we pursue.

03-Jul-06
I read the article myself as well.

From my own experience on a Big Bull (I screwed it up on A Broadside Herd Bull coming in to drink at 18 yards). I had all the time in the world, relaxed, aimed true and sunk my arrow exactly where I would have placed it if I could have walked up and pushed it into him.

Now, I would shoot a bull mid body (height wise) and 10" back from the shoulder if the near leg is straight down before I would wack another Big Herd bull in the exact spot that you dream of hitting on other game just behind the leg "crease".

IN fact, the very next morning after I hit the big herd bull that I shouldered my arrow about 2" deep into, and my arrow just popped out of him, I shot a cow mid body (way farther back than I previously would have ever shot before). Being leary of that shoulder blade, my arrow sunk home between the front and rear legs, and down she went within sight! You are far better off whacking an Elk through the front of the liver/rear portion of the lungs than being a "10" spot shooter and catching that shoulder blade in the textbook spot you would kill other game on.

Even better, wait until that near leg moves forward and then smack them when the vitals are opened up!

As for me, I've never attempted a frontal shot. NO need to if you are patient and wait a few extra seconds for the shot angle to present itself. IF it doesn't, well then I just take advantage of when it does.

03-Jul-06
Every frontal shot I have ever taken has ended with a dead bull no more than 200 yds from where I shot them, I have lost several bulls with clients that were frontals that went bad. I killed one on video last year that is without a doubt one of the ugliest hits ever recorded to film, due to the limbs and branches that deflected my arrow and pushed the arrow from his chest to his neck. The broadhead cut the jugler vein and the check engine light came right on. That said I think I will refrain from taking the frontals I have in the past strictly because they do have the potential to go bad. I shoot mechanicals(spitfire xp 100's) 84 lbs, 320 foot per second, 425 gr arrow, cant remember the foot pounds formula but it is alot. Even with all that I hope to get a better angle this year than I did on my Colorado bull last year. Im just glad I recovered my bull quick and he died fast, we owe these great animals that. Good luck this year everybody and shoot straight. Al.

03-Jul-06
Now THAT would be the pinnacle popcorn thread....mechanicals and frontal shots. Yee Haa, here we go.

I really like the guys who talk about how many deer they have killed with frontal shots and claim they would do the same on elk. I'm guessing they have NO experience with elk.

It seems this topic is an annual event.....

Helo

03-Jul-06
personally, i would not take this shot given my abilities and the slim margin of error for making the killing shot...i saw stan potts make the frontal shot on an AZ bull in primetime bulls 2 and the bull was down pretty quickly...last year i had a bull at 10 yds present a head/neck shot but never a clear broadside shot at the lungs so i held off, i think i owed it to the animal and i'm glad i didnt shoot even though it could have been my first kill on a bull w/a bow...i had other hunters say they would have taken the shot but the animal deserves more respect and should only be taken w/a clean shot...i know that stan potts is a professional and is comfortable w/that shot but for most hunters, that shot should not be taken...

solrac

03-Jul-06
Congratulations Carlos on an ethical decision, well said.

You will get your bull some day, in the mean time, enjoy the HUNTING experience. It's not all about killing.

03-Jul-06
good gawd ........ if you can make the shot, TAKE IT.

if you can't, don't

03-Jul-06
Saw a video of Tink Nathan take a cape buffalo with a sharp quartering forward shot that was nearly a frontal. The bull went down with one arrow in him. I figured it was a stupid shot when I saw it, especially on an animal that might kill you for it later, but it worked. I'm open to the idea but probably won't ever take the shot myself. I have a hard enough time hitting the boiler room on a screaming bull when he's at 20 yards and broadside!

03-Jul-06
Well Brad, from 'eh Arkansas, is it??

The purpose of some of these threads is to encourage or discourage particular behaviors from our fellow bowhunters. There are a lot of "newbies" who are easily influenced here by what they see and read.

I know a lot of guys who "think" they can put an arrow in a 3" circle from 10 yards with a bull elk in their face, but the fact is, most can't. This is what we are talking about with this shot, and there is little room for error.

I've been on 2 hunts where hunting partners have wounded bulls. They weren't even my animals and I must tell you all it's the worst feeling in the world.

More times than not, if the bull is that close, you will get a chance at a broadside shot, with a lot bigger kill zone.

Don't be hasty in the heat of the moment, the worst that can happen is you get to hunt the bull another day.

03-Jul-06

Darrell's embedded Photo
Darrell's embedded Photo

Darrell's Link
I've made the shot on both occassions I have attempted it. Both bulls went down within 50 yards. You have to know where to aim and you have to have nerves of steel. It isn't a shot I reccomend for everyone, but it isn't one I will pass up either. (When, of course everything "feels" right.)

I will attach the pictures I did from last year's thread. If you aren't 100% confident, don't take the shot.

03-Jul-06

Darrell's embedded Photo
Darrell's embedded Photo

Darrell's Link
I've made the shot on both occassions I have attempted it. Both bulls went down within 50 yards. You have to know where to aim and you have to have nerves of steel. It isn't a shot I reccomend for everyone, but it isn't one I will pass up either. (When, of course everything "feels" right.)

I will attach the pictures I did from last year's thread. If you aren't 100% confident, don't take the shot.

03-Jul-06

Darrell's embedded Photo
Darrell's embedded Photo

Darrell's Link
Picture #2

03-Jul-06

Darrell's embedded Photo
Darrell's embedded Photo

Darrell's Link
Picture #3

03-Jul-06

Elknut1's Link
When considering this shot use common sense! The weight of your setup has nothing to do with a frontal shot. First consider the fact that it's a small area you are aiming at, then you'll realize or you should, that this is a shot to be taken at no more than 20yds no matter who you are.

It's a deadly shot, period, for those who have the confidence & composure, if you get rattled, stay away from it.

Idahos legal arrow wt. requirement is 400grns, anything around that & heavier with razor sharp heads will not be stopped by a properly placed frontal shot at under 20yds. There is no bone to contend with unless you're are off on your shot!

Given the right opportunity & I'll take it in a second. I would not shoot through branches or brush in an attempt to force an arrow through on this shot or any shot.

ElkNut1

03-Jul-06
That 3D image is not an elk skeleton. I don't know what it is or where it came from, not a horse, cow, pig, ox, elk or deer. An elk's sternum is not shaped like that nor does it protrude upward. An elk's first ribs connect to the sterum and form a ring. What is that critter anyway, anybody know?

03-Jul-06
"I really like the guys who talk about how many deer they have killed with frontal shots and claim they would do the same on elk. I'm guessing they have NO experience with elk."

Thanks for liking me, I like you too, and you guessed wrong. I'm guessing that there are guys that have hunted 20 species more than you have that would take the right frontal shot.

Unit 9er is correct, we just need to try to make guys think about the shot before flinging an arrow. I've been hunting a long time, and I've lost a few deer and one elk (braodside, btw, but high) over those years. It is a sickening feeling and every one of them has re-enforced that I don't want it to happen again. Bottom line is that I can't tell you what I will do until that split second arrives. The older I get though, the less important the kill is and I am much more apt to let down.

I completely respect anyone that does not want to take that shot, good for you, I only wish some of those same guys would show a little respct for those that choose to take it. Just because you took the shot doesn't mean you are inexperienced, bloodthirsty, or that you have no feelings for the animal.

03-Jul-06
Elk and frontal shots....not good at all. Last 2 year in our camps, 3 frontal shots at under 15 yards and 2 losses. Very sad indeed. One bled terribly, and we never recovred it. Stopped suddenly and after more than 10 hours could not find another drop. Also, the second one lost bled very little and we saw the fletching only showing.

I was apalled and would not have taken the shot myself.

03-Jul-06
Your odds are better if you just wait for the bull to spook and then stop him with a cow call. 9 out of 10 times you will end up with a brodside or quartering away shot withen 35 yards. That is way better odds than a front on shot. If the bull hasn't smelled you then he will stop and give you the shot. WAY TOO MANY beutifull bulls suffer neadlessly every year form the frontal shot.

03-Jul-06
Man... "frontal shots", "mechanical broadheads for elk", is it already gotten this close to elk season? I'm getting pumped now!

03-Jul-06
every hunter is entitled to their opinion on this shot, just as every hunter has to deal with the consequences of this shot as well. Myself I have taken two bulls and one deer chest on and not ONE made it more than 75 yards before piling up! But because I just stated this doe'nt mean everybody should take it!

03-Jul-06

Darrell's Link
Tim,

That image is one that I believe Old Bowhunter posted a few years back. I saved it because of its clarity. However, if it isn't an elk, that's a problem and I won't post it next year. :)

Now that you mention it, that protusion in the picture never made sense to me either. I'll have to check that out carefully when I cut up my bull this year. :)

I'll be sure and take some good pictures!

03-Jul-06
Hi Darrell, I remember when OBH posted that. Wish I knew what species that was. It's not deer, elk, horse, buffalo or any domestic stock animal etc. Closest thing I've seen with a manubrium protruding upward like that(that's not extinct) is rhino. Darn thing is probably a Stegosaurus or Triceratops! It would be great to see some pics of an actual elk skeleton from front on. The first ribs join and form an oval. The illustration in your pic #3 shows it pretty clearly. Hope you do get a honker this fall and get the chance to post some for us! Have a good one, Tim

03-Jul-06
What the heck does "confidence with the shot" have to do with anything? Confidence doesn't equate to an ethical shot. You guys out there with an attitude that YOU can make the shot, but it is not for everyone DISGUST me. We are talking about attempting to take the life of a magnificent animal. We owe it to these creatures to pass on low probability shots. This doesn't mean that a frontal shot can't be fatal...It means that it MIGHT NOT be because of the small window of opportunity. Give me a break! Is it really that important that we shoot an arrow at an elk without regard to the outcome? It is the HUNT that really makes lasting memories and gives us a connection with nature, not just killing an animal.

There are young bowhunters reading this garbage thread and making conclusions about shots that they may/may not take in the future. It is not that hard to only take a high probability broadside shot. As we all know, even this is far from a guarantee, but it has a much greater probability of a quick kill and subsequent harvest.

I can't believe I was dragged into this pathetic thread!!!

Helo

03-Jul-06
"You guys out there with an attitude that YOU can make the shot, but it is not for everyone DISGUST me."

If you shoot at game past 20 yards, use mechanical broadheads or shoot a compound, there are folks out there you disgust. I learned long ago to based my ethics on my capabilites and limitations - and not someone else's.

The simple fact is that the frontal shot is high percentage if you understand where to put the arrow and have the capability to do so under pressure. I don't, but I won't criticize those who do for doing so. If you are prone to taking shots where your understanding of shot placement is suspect or where you lack the proficiency to accurately place the arrow, I don't think the angle of the animal much matters.

03-Jul-06
I think the last post was from an ANTI, & I'd take that shot!

03-Jul-06
So why post if it's so pathetic? It's not your opinion that is the problem, I actually partially agree with you, it's the attitude that goes with it and the lack of respect for others opinions that makes your post pathetic.

03-Jul-06
It's all about confidence even on the tried and true broadside shot. If you aren't confident that you can place the arrow in a lethal spot then don't shoot. Pretty simple concept.

I passed a broadside shot at 15 feet on a 330+ bull one year. I didn't know the anatomy of the leg and scapula that well. I actually had a window directly to the heart and didn't know it. I didn't have the confidence or knowledge I needed for the shot at that time. Today that would be one dead bull.

Target size. That part seems odd. If it's ethical to take a 20 yard shot at a grouse and the whole grouse is smaller than the frontal shot kill zone then what's the deal with the size? When I shoot at grouse I aim for the junction of the neck and body and do a pretty good job of hitting it at that range. It's about picking a spot.

I had a bad broadside shot at a semi relaxed bull last year. He's just got run off by a herd bull and was worried about him. He didn't know I was there. Between the release and impact on a 20 yard shot he hopped forward and his front feet dropped from the rock he had them on to the ground below. I hit him in the spine well back. The arrow flew true but he moved. .22 seconds is longer than you think sometimes but that's hunting. We aren't shooting a 3D round. Live animals can and do move at unexpected times, even if they are broadside and you have a clear lane.

Everyone has their own risks they're willing to accept. Everyone has their own skill set. I have a partner that has shot at and missed 18 elk. Complete misses at 18, 20, and 25 yards from a guy that can drill coffee cup sized groups at 50 yards all day long...at targets. He gets too excited when he's facing a live elk I guess. When I hunt with him he's the designated caller and we split the elk. I don't want to subject the elk to the chance he might get closer to the mark and wound one.

I don't know if I'll take a frontal shot if I have the chance. If I'm shooting well, and I shoot every day I hunt before I leave camp and in the afternoon, and everything else is right I might...or it might not feel like it's going to work and I won't.

For someone that's never put an elk on the ground with an arrow I'd say it was too risky. For someone that's got a few under their belt and can read animals well and can shoot well then it might not be.

03-Jul-06
The only bull I've heard of shot in the chest did die, but not for a LONG time. You or I might be capable of making this shot, but I think I'd have a tough time feeling good about it.

03-Jul-06
I don't know about dead straight on frontal shots, but a quartering on shot is pretty deadly. What is the difference between quartering away and exiting in front of the off shoulder and quartering on exiting in back of the off shoulder? It is a little smaller target, but not small by any means. Only taken it once on a cow elk, she went down in sight, maybe 50 yards. She was just as dead as dead can get.

03-Jul-06

Meathunter13's embedded Photo
Meathunter13's embedded Photo
Another unrelated skeleton... interesting though.

03-Jul-06
Well, I would strongly discourage the shot. I have bowhunted 8 years for elk and killed 4. I have lost one where I took a head on shot and a friend of mine lost one on a hunt I was on where he took a head on shot. NO!

Also, if they don't go down quick you have an almost nonexistant blood trail!

Too much room for error!

03-Jul-06
I wonder why you cant have polls on this forum. It would be good data especially for this one.

03-Jul-06
Helo,

Sorry I disgust you, but I'll still take the shot. Is there the risk of a wounded animal, absolutely. There is that risk everytime you draw back the string.

However, think about the wounding risk on a broadside shot. Most guys who miss hit high or back. If they miss high, they get one lung and little or no blood trail. It is probably 30/70 on whether the one lunged bull survives. Most die, but guys have butchered elk with broadheads in the high lung area.

If you miss back, it is a gut shot that will invariably kill the elk but often result in a lost animal.

If you miss to far forward, you get 2" of penetration and often an arrow that bounces off the scapula. The bull is sore, but will generally be fine.

On a head on shot, if you miss high, as long as you are still centered, you will likely get the aorta or another large artery. If you don't, you probably have a severely wounded elk that will be very difficult to find. Obviously, that is a very bad thing.

However, if you miss to right or left, most likely your broadhead will slide on the outside of the rib cage and leave a flesh wound from which the bull will heal. If you miss low, same thing. A friend of mine hit a bull a number of years ago broadside where two of the three blades lodged in the sternum (broadside shot) and the third blade got enough vital tissue that the bull only went 45 yards. Bottom line is that you can't shoot too low unless you skim under the chest bone cavity.

I would only take the shot in the perfect situation. Two years ago, I passed it up on a 350+ bull at 24 yards. I'm 98% sure I would have made the shot. However, 98% is not good enough for me anymore.

Don't take shots you aren't sure of. I won't either.

Aim low, shoot straight and have a great hunt!

03-Jul-06
I'll take the shot everytime. It is the most deadly shot in archery as long as you know the anatomy of the game. I've never had an animal go over 25 yards from this shot.

04-Jul-06
An elk skeleton is the same as yours except we have collar bones, now put your finger where the collar bones meet your windpipe that hole is where you have to hit. Now get on your hands and knees and that spot gets smaller. Now if you hit high you cut the windpipe and stick in the spine, if you shoot right or left you cut along the ribs for two or three feet. If you shoot low you hit the sternum and do the least amount of damage and if you hit that little hole yes you have a dead elk. On a elk that hole is about the size of a grapefruit.

04-Jul-06
Darrell,

I apologize that I came across a little too strong. I didn't intend to make my comments into a personal attack....sorry. I just have a great deal of respect for elk and I have witnessed too many shots go bad. For me, it is simple these days...clear, high probability shot only, otherwise I'll pass. This, of course, is made easier by the fact that I have been fortunate to have taken many bull elk with my bow. Over the years my perspective has changed....the HUNT is what I truely enjoy.

Have a great hunt this year,

Helo

04-Jul-06
My first elk was in 86. I was shooting a 70 # hoyt pro vantage. The distance was 40 yds. The broad head was a 125 gr. thunderhead. The elk went about 400 yds and bedded down, when I caught up to her about 4 hrs later she was still alive. The arrow took out one lung. NEVER AGAIN.

04-Jul-06
If you can make the shot take it.

I would take that shot under 15 yards all day.

As for set-up I shoot a Mathews SB #70, GT 7595 and Magnus Snuffer 125.A heavier set-up like this should drive that arrow plenty deep for a quick ethical kill.

04-Jul-06
Helo,

No problem. We disagree on the shot and I understand your passion for elk. I share it with you. I've seen your threads around on the bowsite enough that I wasn't offended by your comment. I knew it was more venting than directed at me or others. I respect your point of view even when I disagree with it.

I pray you have a great hunt this year and have a monster broadside at 12 yards.

05-Jul-06
The difference between the quartering too shot and the broadside shot is that the ribs in the front are closer together and they are thicker (ie. stronger) than back further....A quartering too shot will work, but you better have heavy arrows and a strong bow to get through there if you center a rib.

05-Jul-06
I would take it all day as well - as long as it was under 20 yards.... Shoot Straight )))----------) Pat

06-Jul-06
I've taken 7 elk with my bow, 5 bulls and 4, of them was 6 points so for me as a hunter, NO. It's not that big of a deal to pass on a head on shot. To each there own. Just don't cry when your on your way back to camp to tell your buddies you blew it.. GOOD HUNTING....

29-Nov-06
It was a horse...frontal elk anatomy is hard to come by. Not surprising considering the bias.

You guys are right, there's less armor up front in an elk...

29-Nov-06
So how many of you advocates all made a successful frontal shots on bulls this year?

29-Nov-06

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I didn't do it on a bull this year, but I did take my buck antelope at about 10 yards with that shot. I watched him go down in less than 25 yards.

My streak is still in tack. The picture above was taken from my blind, which you can notice on the left side of the photo. Front shots have treated me much better than any other.

Have a great bowhunt BB

29-Nov-06
Hey BB, I'm a bit confused...didn't you have a thread about a mile long including diagrams and pictures of bones showing exactly how you should shoot an antelope right through the scapula instead of behind the shoulder like most guys do...I would have thought that shot would have treated you better than any other. Maybe that was a different "BB".

29-Nov-06

Ty's embedded Photo
Ty's embedded Photo
This is my head on shot this year on a woodland caribou at 22 yards. He made his last kick in under 3 seconds.

29-Nov-06
I knew these would start rolling in. Thanks for the replies I figured since the thread came out of the grave we could recap.

Great shot TY... only thats a heart and not a caribou you need to get a refund..

29-Nov-06
That was funny! It would have been cheaper to ship home though!

29-Nov-06
"only thats a heart and not a caribou you need to get a refund.."

now that is funny!

29-Nov-06
Brad, same BB. All shots aren't broadside, so I just want those that listen to know there are other ways and different places to aim than just behind the shoulder.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

29-Nov-06
I took a frontal shot this year on a 7X7, shot was dead center and 2 inches high instead of in one of the thoracic inlets. Arrow penetrated about 6-8 inches. The bull only lost about a tbsp. of blood in 1/4 of a mile. If you would have asked me 2 minutes before that shot, I would have told you I thought it was a terrible shot to take. Two seconds after I took that shot I still would tell you I think it is a terrible shot and don't take it. I know my anatomy as well as anybody (I'm a veterinarian) and all I can say is it is like trying to thread a needle, any tiny error in your shot or the angle and you have a high likelihood of failure. Of course when you have your bow drawn at a 7x7 at 18 yds. discipline and ethics must overwhelm your desire to score. I felt like Bill Clinton--I succumbed to the moment and used poor judgement in my opinion. I passed a frontal shot 6 days later on a 350 bull. I will NEVER take a frontal shot again.

30-Nov-06
Twoballic, with all due respect, if you missed the frontal opening at 18 yards then your refraining from taking that shot should fall within your relm of "discipline and ethics".

I've sen BB shoot his bow, as I have with several other "advocates" on this thread. These guys KNOW that they can make this shot. For this reason, "ethics" differ for each individual archer as to whether they "should" attempt the frontal shot. From the very beginning of this thread the statement made by many is that the frontal shot is not for everyone. Heck I've seen guys shaking so bad with a screaming bull standing broadside at 15 yards that any shot would be unethical.

This all comes down to being prepared when the "moment of truth" arrives. Am I prepared and able to make this shot? For myself, I practice hard with my equipment so I know without a doubt that I can "thread a needle" and stuff an arrow into that cantelope sized frontal opening.

30-Nov-06
The very worst thing one can do on a frontal shot, in my opinion, is hit too far left or right of center. In my experience one can hit high and still be okay as long as he is within 2" either way of a center line going up the neck. There is a lot to hit in that area if you have a heavy bow and a very good broadhead head. But if you get off to the side more than 2" then there's not much to hit that's fatal. If you are at the proper height then you may have 3" inches either way. It's really no different than shooting a broadside shot in that you still need to hit close to what you aim. If you don't do that, then no shot is a good shot.

Have a great bowhunt BB

30-Nov-06
frontal shots should not be taken period. anybody that does is playing with fire,it will burn you someday!,Don't call so much, then they don't come in straight on.. they need to come in looking around, All the elk I've killed have been broadside, no frontal, quartering away, or quartering towards,, some hunter get in a hurry and just want to get an arrow off,,and besides the elk is looking right at you.. And hunter are looking at an 3-4 inch target instead of an 18 inch broadside target,, which one is better?

30-Nov-06
I agree with bugle1up. I practiced more this last year than ever before, was more accurate than ever and felt confident enough to take the shot. However, the bull was standing a little on incline with his head elevated rather high, and I am fairly certain I hit vertebrae. Like bugle1up points out you are shooting at a 3-4 inch area if everything is perfect. I am sure some of you are excellent shots, but you cannot convince me, that like myself, you cannot err by 2-3 inches. I was not shaking, actually I was very calm, I was really aware that I wanted to stay out of the shoulder and by doing so may have erred toward center too much. You definitely want to place your arrow in one of the thoracic inlets (between the breast bone and rib)on either side of center. I think angle played a very important role also, but it would have played a much smaller role on a broadside 18 inch target. I am not saying the shot is not a makeable shot for alot of people, I just think bugle1up makes some very valid points about why it probably is a poor shot selection for most, because like my bull, a wounded animal will result. In hindsight, I wish I had let down my draw and hoped that he spooked and jumped sideways for a broadside shot or waited for another opportunity.

30-Nov-06
"...frontal shots should not be taken period..." by those who feel the same as Twoballic and Bugle1up. Good for you guys sticking up for what YOU believe. No one here will badmouth you for choosing not to take the frontal shot.

As for some, we KNOW when the situation is right, we KNOW how to execute the frontal shot... and we've seen time and time again the results of the correct arrow placement. As BB said, any arrow that misses it's mark has the potential of being a bad hit. Take the shot that you KNOW you can execute, not "think" you can. If you KNOW the anatomy, what angle that bull needs to be, and can pound an egg at XX yards 100% of the time, then the frontal shot is a perfect shot. That doesn't mean we'd pass on a broadside shot waiting for the frontal. But if that bull is inside my comfort zone and offers me the frontal shot, that bull is toast.

30-Nov-06
I also took an Antelope from the front. Arrow passed all the way through the body. Walked about 15 steps and was down.

30-Nov-06
First bear that I ever saw was a blackie in Mt. that waw walking along a fenceline directly towards me.I never gave it a second thought and dropped to my knees and put my pin between the front shoulders and threaded a Wasp tipped arrow thru him from front to back at 15 yards. He piled up in less than a minute.

01-Dec-06

Tim in Montana's embedded Photo
That 3D image posted here a few times in the past was not a horse, or an elk. Here are pics of 3 horse skeletons.

Horses aren't elk, but the structure of the sternum and rib cage of elk and other deer don't differ much from the horse's anatomy shown in these 3 pictures. A whitetail's ribs are thinner than an elk's etc, but the "ring" formed where the first ribs join the sternum is pretty much the same... as is the shield of bone formed by the successive ribs.

I'd still like to know what that 3D critter was...

01-Dec-06

01-Dec-06

01-Dec-06
No one here has missed an elk, right. You know I don't understand how you can miss a broadside and never miss a softball sized opening?

01-Dec-06
There are several reasons why bowhunting organizations around the world have always educated bowhunters against taking a shot at an animal that is facing you. Thankfully, most experienced bowhunters understand why, but some don't and never will.

What I will never understand is how an obviously experienced bowhunter could advocate taking the frontal shot to an audience, like the one here at the Bowsite.com, that is filled with so many newbies and relative newcomers to the sport. They must realize what is required to pull off a shot on an animal that is facing them without alerting that animal and winding up with a bad hit.

02-Dec-06
as most guys on this web site I too can hit an egg at 20 yards 100% of the time, and I feel very comfortable at takeing a frontal on an elk I also feel I can hit the femur artery along the back leg,,I just won't do it, I passed on a 7x7 bull that was over 350 at 15 yards,,but he only gave me a neck and butt shot. So I passed on it with no regets. One week later in the same area I shot a 382 gross 6 point broadside. a bull of a lifetime. on public land

02-Dec-06
I've made a couple of shots, both were total misses due to my poor archery skills at the time. I was fine at targets but my habits weren't solid in the field. However my lack of skill at shooting didn't change the fact that a 6x6 bull stood there at 18 yards and watched me shoot near him (prereleased), watched the arrow impact the ground 3 yards in front of his feet and have the shaft explode due to hitting a rock and then look back up at me without moving his body an inch.

Had my archery skills then been what they are now that bull would have been dead. He wasn't directly facing me, it was a quartering shot but the fact remains that he saw me move, saw me shoot, and didn't jump. I tried to get another arrow out of my quiver and it was then that he calmly backed away and turned. He walked about 4 yards and the all hell broke loose.

The other elk I shot under due to dropping my bow hand at the release. He had watched me draw, saw the arrow fall off of the rest, watched me nock it again, draw again, and shoot. He didn't move until the arrow passed under him and buried in the ground under a log behind him.

Not all bull elk during the rut are jumpy. Not every elk that sees you is going to spook.

It's also quite possible that the bull will be facing you and looking past your position for the elk he thought you were. I always move after I call, generally toward the bull I'm working. I like to give them as little usuable information about me as possible and my location is the big one I like to keep them guessing about.

Now days at 10 yards I can pick a spot the size of a US quarter and put three arrows in a row in it. At 20 yards I've shot grouse at the base of the neck. So putting an arrow where it need to be at 10 yards at a softball or grapefruit (pink, from Texas) sized target really isn't too iffy. In fact it's far less iffy than me shooting at a broadside standing elk at 25 yards those years ago when I missed him.

That was a perfect position and an ethical shot for any beginner to have taken. Until I missed that elk my accuracy at that range was very good but things change in the field and some habits need to be ingrained for years for them to stick out there. After having a few archery killed elk you learn things you didn't know before and you can apply them to later chances. I'm just glad that the perfectly ethical shot I tried to make was a complete miss rather than a gut shot.

I don't see where anyone is saying a newbie should go out and try an advanced shot like a frontal shot. For them even the "perfect" broadside shot isn't a sure thing...although in all reality they aren't really a sure thing for any of us. They just get closer to being sure as time goes on.

I'm a very good skier. I ski stuff that risks my life from time to time. Should I not talk about it in case some guy with three days on skis wants to try it too? In any endeavor from driving to flying a plane to bowhunting you learn more after your intial training and education than you knew the first day after you got your first license. The things you learn in the beginning are designed to get your "feet wet" and what you learn from there should allow you to progress in your skills.

It's not up to me, or anyone else, to determine what any individual hunter is capable of. That is for them to decide by taking as critical a look at their skills as they can and then assessing what they can and can't do. Hunting is mostly an individual thing. I don't view it as a sport, certainly not a team sport. Even if you're partnered or teamed up to call elk it still comes down the the individual that looses the arrow or passes the shot to make that critical decision for themselves and live with the outcome of it.

02-Dec-06
Steeleyeyes, In your mind, why do you think bowhunting organizations do not advocate taking a frontal shot on animals? (Seriously, no sarcasm meant, etc.) Tim

02-Dec-06
Tim, I think I can tell you why. In the days these standards were set, bows were less powerful, broadheads less sharp, and bowhunters were not as good as they are nowadays.

Shooting a straight on shot is not a shot for everyone. Nor is it a shot that should be taken at 40-50-60 yards like those taken on broadside animals by many of the same people who are posting on this thread against anyone taking a front on shot.

Let's take a theory that says:

If you shoot and hit an animal that you don't recover then you can never take that shot again, because it is not a good shot"

Those against this shot will jump right on this bandwagon, but if you apply the same thinking to broadside hits that are not recovered, there are very few of you who would be able to continue to bowhunt, because most of us have hit and lost critters that were BROADSIDE or QUARTERING AWAY. These are the two main acceptable standards, but more game percentage wise is lost with those two shots than the animals lost that are close in and straight on. I would bet my net worth on that, and yet there are no studies done to validate the difference between these two lines of thinking. Why do you think that’s the case?

Personally, over 45 years of bowhunting has shown me beyond any doubt, that close in straight on shots are not only bowhunting’s most deadly shot, but its rate of recovery is far better than those of the “acceptable shots”! It also will yield a far better blood trail in most instances than will most broadside shots. Quartering away shots, although acceptable by most, end up killing a lot of critters that are never recovered because many of those hits don’t generate enough blood on the ground to follow the fatally wounded critter.

May I ask any of you why this is acceptable?

The front on shot is not for everyone, nor is the broadside or quartering away. Distance and a bowhunters ability to execute has far more to do with the final outcome of any of these shots than the way the animal is facing.

Personally, the frontal shot or the straight way shot, are the only two shots I could shoot in bowhunting if I had to adhere to the theory I explained above. I have never lost one animal with either of those hits, but I sure lost my share of critters on broadside hits before I went to snuffers.

This is a very complex issue which many here really don’t have a clue! Sorry to say that, but a spade is a spade, and I will call it that!

Have a great bowhunt. BB

03-Dec-06
Hi BB, Thank you for responding to my question. This discussion is worth it's weight in gold because it's making us all think about what we are doing out there. I am looking forward to seeing what some of the other guys have to say on this one. Tim

03-Dec-06
"Not all bull elk during the rut are jumpy. Not every elk that sees you is going to spook."

I've been hunting Elk for 34 years and agree with this statement..... But I could also add "Not all bull elk during the rut are jumpy. Not every elk that sees you is going to spook. And you can't tell 100% which is going to spook and which isn't."

Like Steely says it boils down to what level of risk you personally are willing to take.... You are the one who has to live with the repurcussions or rewards of your choice. No one can make that choice for you when the moment of truth comes. Right?? wrong??? I don't think it's that black and white.... It depends on your level of experience and skill..... Just make sure you educate yourself and have a realistic view of your skills before you head in to the ELk woods so that when the moment of truth arrives and you have to make a choice, you make the right one for you...... Terry

03-Dec-06
BTW BB...... Are you sure the broadheads weren't as sharp back then??.... :-)..... Terry

03-Dec-06
Tim, in a nutshell, the average bowhunter has not been educated by himself where to aim on this shot. I was once guilty of this myself. I have to agree with BB on this subject as I have for a couple years now in past threads. I wish I had belonged to this forum years ago before I ever attempted it the first time. (grin)

Many hunters don't realize the needed adjustment one should consider in his shot if the animal isn't exactly "head on" If he's slightly quartering to you, you can't kill this animal by hitting him dead center as easily as slipping an arrow between brisket & front leg. This would be the appropiate shot at that angle. I too agree a razor sharp head is crucial as well as COC head is best suited. So one must consider shot angle on frontal shots.

As I look back & count to the best of my recollection my son & I have taken 9 frontal shots on both deer & elk, 2 of those were deer, both 4-points. We've recovered 8 of the 9. The first time this shot was ever taken years back was on an elk, a beautiful 6 point at 17yds, he was head on to me, I shot for just off center, BIG MISTAKE!!! I was sick, I never found him. Yet I knew it was a deadly shot if done right.

I didn't quit there & say I'll never take that shot again, instead I looked into what I'd done wrong. ( studied an elks anatomy) I adjusted, & as you can see we've never lost another one!

This shot takes calm nerves, if you get easily rattled, let him walk, too, one must be under 20 yds for best odds of a humane & accurate kill.

Good Luck all !! ElkNut1

03-Dec-06
That's like saying it's ok to take 80yd shots because you can hold 6" groups.

03-Dec-06
Not at all. 80 yard is a lot of time in flight for the wind to nudge the arrow off track, for the animal to react to the shot, etc. It's almost a whole second in fact. Add to that any movement or shake in your hand is going to misdirect the arrow a lot farther from the intended point of aim at 8 times the distance and it's nothing like taking a frontal shot at 10 yards.

Flight time for my arrow at ten yards is right at .05 seconds. A fast reaction time to an unanticipated startling event, like a bow being shot, is something over .1 seconds in most animals.

I think major bowhunting organizations don't recommend the shot for the same reason nobody recommends jumping off of a 15 foot cliff when you're skiing...some people are going to have a bad result if they aren't ready for that kind of an activity. In fact some people will have a bad outcome to both things even if they are ready just like some people have bad results from the recommended ones. Your odds of success are better if you're prepared and the more experience you have the better you are at deciding for yourself if you're ready. No organization can tell you that in a booklet.

03-Dec-06
I had the biggest bull I have ever seen facing me this past year. I didn't shoot at him for 2 reasons. #1 is that I didn't have a bull tag. I always buy the cow tag. #2 is that he was about 75 or 80 yards away and I had a longbow in my hand. He sure was purty though.

Rob

03-Dec-06
The biggest bull I have ever seen to date I had a legal tag for. 55 yards away and trotting left to right. I was hunting with my muzzleloader and wasn't quite familiar with the amount of time from trigger trip to lead coming out of the barrel so I shot like I would with my modern rifle. My swing through was too fast and that 390 grains of lead went right in front of him. It seems like the big ones almost always get away.

03-Dec-06
Those of you whon dumped on BAM might want to reconsider. He's probably been in on more archery elk kills than all the rest of us here combined. What he says is based on experience, period. He's a fan of Spitfires and Steelhead 100 mechanicals because he's seen them make clean, quick kills over and over and over again.

04-Dec-06
I think Tim hit the proverbial nail on the head..."experience". I too have been lucky enough to have spent 34 seasons chasing elk. Over the past 12 years I have harvested two bulls with the frontal shot, and been involved with four others. All of these bulls died within sight, and all left a bloodtrail that our wives could have followed. Each of these shot were taken by bowhunters who had learned what angle the bull beeded to be, where to put that arrow, and were inside their effective range for hitting that egg.

Bowhunter Education programs are great, and they set a good foundation of what beginning bowhunters need to know. However, it would be pretty sad if we all stopped educating ourselves after we finished Bowhunter's Ed. I've educated my 18 year old son on the aspects of the frontal shot and I am very comfortable with him taking that shot at short ranges. Once again I reiterate, the frontal shot isn't for everyone. If you get the shakes really bad with a bull in close, or maybe your shooting skills need improving, you will want to shy away from the shot.

04-Dec-06
BB- Can you put some photos to this thread... Like in your shot placement threads. Lets talk about where to place "the egg"?

04-Dec-06

Huntsman's embedded Photo

04-Dec-06
I always enjoy reading these threads,even though they never change.

I've learned alot from BB over the years, both here on the computer and on the ground in the mountains. When BB talks, I listen...and most would be wise to follow suit. There are a lot of you guys on here that have been bowhunting for a decade or so and maybe had some great success, killing 5-10 elk and a few deer...that kind of experience is very valuable and can make you feel like Superman...then you add in what your other buddies told you and what you read on the internet and such, and you really feel like you Know it All...But you don't, not if you haven't tried it yourself, Over and Over again...

That's what Bill has done, for many years and every move he makes, he remembers, he analyses it in his head and learns from it..every one. You simply CANNOT discount his experience with frontal shots. As he has stated many times...They are not everyone...not even for very many at all, but the guy who is ready to take it, with all the right gear and knowhow...is going to find out how deadly it is, just like Bill.

I wont take it because I shoot a lighter poundage longbow and I take Bill's advice very seriously...he wants to see someone shooting heavy poundage, heavy arrows, razor sharp cut on contact heads and Close range... I can do all, but not the heavy poundage..

Good Luck all,

Ernie

04-Dec-06
I don't care if you take eyeball shots. You know an eyeball shot is the best there is if he's facing you at 45 degrees and you don't shoot 1/2 right or left or up or down. It's not for everyone and he has to be under 10yds and you have to be shooting a 90# bow. Kills them everytime and they don't go 5'.

04-Dec-06
Huntsman that is a dead bull. I have noticed that you have to have the neck to the side to shoot. An elk's neck is differant than a deer or even a caribou. But the one in the photo is DOA. If there head was down I would pass. I think all that would take the shot agree we only would do it when we know the situation is right. That one is right. 15 yards head to the side; dead bull! Heartm, two lungs, and a liver!

04-Dec-06

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I've looked through my elk pictures a bit and didn't really see one that fit, but I don't have much time right now either, so I will through this picture out for debate.

I took this picture several weeks ago while hunting mule deer. This picture was taken at roughly 10 yards. The bull is on a shelf and I am lower than him by perhaps 15 feet or so. Moose and elk are both very large critters, but both die in about the same way from a well placed arrow.

Who of you would take this shot if you had a moose permit and show us where you would want to hit him for a fast clean kill.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

04-Dec-06
Man that's one ugly critter...lol!

05-Dec-06

The angle of this moose is actually my preference for the frontal shot. An arrow anywhere in this circle and your work is just beginning!

Dr. Bob, your unwillingness to compare stethoscopes to stethoscopes confuses me. If you can hit the ocular organ, then you can most certainly hit a target the size of a large grapefruit...you can, right?

I can’t count the number of close encounters with bulls I’d had until I finally vowed to find the key to the frontal shot. I visited with vets, dissected numerous elk, and continued to honed my shooting. The first bull I tipped over using the frontal shot my little arrow disappeared completely. The bull lunged to the side, stopped 10 yards from where I hit him, and sprayed the world. Less than 10 seconds after my arrow disappeared he was on the ground. I just sat down, let the adrenaline engine take over…and stared at that bull, and the blood dripping from the branches of a tree. And I didn’t have to hit him in the eye.

The "heavy" equipment issue is the only part of this scenario, and a few others where BB and I agree to disagree. I'm not a big guy, so I can't shoot heavy gear. I only pull 63 pounds, and my short draw only allows a 27" arrow, which totals 402 grains with a T-head 100 doing the work. My bow/arrow combo is tuned to perfection, and I KNOW that within 20 yards where my pin settles is where my arrow is going to hit. Even if I miss my “spot” by three inches anyway, I’m still in great shape.

05-Dec-06
Well someone correct me if me be wrong. I learned that NO MATTER WHAT ANGLE YOU TAKE ON HOOFED GAME the boiler room can be looked at as a round ball, its a matter of bones, distance of penetration (example: taking a severley quartering away thus the arrow having to travel length of body) alertness of game, moving animals and of course distance of shot. The boiler room gets no smaller from ANY angle. Its there and to be had but this is where experience comes into play. On the moose above I say yes on shot. There is two white specs on the bottom of picture,. Straight up from the left one maybe a tad to the right and about half way from snout to bottom of picture frame. Allright BB am I too stupid to hunt moose lol.

05-Dec-06
do you guy's that take the frontal shots, get so few opertunities, that you have to take that shot?,, can't wait for a better chance?, do you favor this over a broadside shot?. I do agree that it is very deadly shot,,when does the angle become to far to try the shot,, which distance is too far 20-30-40?.. is it any diffent then a guy taking a 70 yard shot at an animal,, chuck adams says he will take long shots at game,,and eveybody knows how well he does.. Just my two cents

05-Dec-06
Bugle1...have you read the posts by the frontal guys? Most of them are saying they DO PREFER that shot. At least one of them that I know, prefers that shot because he's had MORE SUCCESS with it than broadside shots...its stated above, so your question is already answered.

I'd shoot the moose with my compound right in the oval placed there. Same with an elk...I wont do it with my longbow...because I dont have the experience to say it will work and I dont have someone I trust telling me it will work...

Ernie

05-Dec-06
Bugle1up thats where the experience factor comes into play. I would never shoot a whitetail in the situation above but would on the moose or elk.(reflexes) Whitetails looking at you??? To risky. But I shoot selfbows, not compounds where speed is supreme. Plus I would have to get drawn and release, no holding at anchor for me. Again it is the experience to each hunter and his situation. Chuck Adams takes shots at relaxed and bedded game animals at those ranges also, not just any animal.

05-Dec-06
Bugle1up, why wait for a "better" shot? 34 years of elk hunting experience feeds my "gut instinct", and that's what dictates to me whether the scenario is right for taking, not just the frontal, but any shot. And BTW, my perception is that taking a 70-yard shot carry’s a much higher risk than a short range frontal shot...don't you think? No way you can properly compare the two.

Can you imagine a football coach that says he will only send one play into his quarterback because it has the best chance to succeed? Can you see a major league baseball player waiting only for a fastball down the center of the plate because he hits them the best? Would I pass on a broadside shot with the hopes that the bull presents a frontal shot? Of course not, but you can bet your fanny that if that bull is in close, and presents a frontal shot I won't hesitate to dump the string. If the “Bowhunting Genie” gave me a choice, a 30 yards broadside shot vs. a 12 yard frontal shot, I’d take the frontal every time…

BTW, did you guys notice the shot placement on that big New Mexico bull taken with a ‘curve? Be a shame to have a big bull facing you, and not be a prepared bowhunter. I’m glad I would have to lament, “I have no regrets at all…I made the ethical choice by not shooting…coulda, woulda, shoulda…”

05-Dec-06
I would personnally let him take one more step off of that shelf so I didn't have to drive it through the thickest part of the brisket.

05-Dec-06
As I've said before, whether it's a good shot (clean kill) to take or not, I will always pefer to not send an arrow into the guts if I can just deflate the animal (double lung). I, call me a wuss, would rather not deal with the crap being unloaded inside an animal I need to dress and eat.

05-Dec-06

=>>>>Elkiller======>'s embedded Photo
Bullhound I wont call you a wuss = ^)...but i would take the shot...and use the gutless method whether guts were penetrated or not....may have to wash the tenderloins off a bit...but the rest of the meat will be steaming, fresh and clean!!!!

05-Dec-06
P.S. BB i never got a chance to thank you for all the shot placement pics you put on the moose thread....I hunted moose for the first time this year....60 yard recovery...And im convinced that your thread helped me aim small on a huge target...

Thanx Rob

05-Dec-06
by the way, I had this shot on my Idaho moose for about two full minutes. He was on my level though @ 18 yards. I passed and waited for him to turn. Arrow went through and he didn't even flinch. He just fell asleep so to speak:)

05-Dec-06

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Rob, good to hear you got your moose and if you got it in 60 yards it sounds to me like you were up front!

Here's a picture I took last year. I was just under 20 yards from this deer and almost the same level. I choose to shoot him with my camera in stead of my bow. But I would not hesitate on this shot if I was 15 yards away. I have found that it’s as deadly of shot as exists in bowhunting.

I really don't think Huntsman and I disagree on the heavy stuff. I am not as good of shot as Huntsman or most of you. At best I am only an average shot, and that's when I shoot a lot. But it's a lot like Huntsman using a very light rifle because he's a much better shot than me, and I use a 300 magnum for insurance. I really think that's the difference.

With that said, it’s a shot that needs to be carried out close, and if done so is most effective. Many people think that since an elk's vital are so big, that a 60-70 yard shot is very make able. And for many it is. But there's a lot that can happen in the time it takes an arrow to go that distance, and its a long ways to exaggerate your error if you’re off a bit.

That's why as deadly as the front on shot is, it should be taken only if the animal is very close. I like it 20 yards or less and prefer it 15 yards or closer. There is much less margin for error, therefore being close is a MUST. And few NA animals, with the exception of a pronghorn, can react fast enough, at 15 yards, if the arrow is on its way, That is not true at 30 yards or more. And this is one of the main reasons more animals percentage wise are lost to broadside or quartering shots than are lost to front on shots.

The deer pictured above is a good example to study and see where you would want your arrow to enter the animal.

Have a great bowhunt BB

05-Dec-06

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
And here's a photo I took last year while on my San Juan hunt. It's a pretty good example of a nice bull offering one a close frontal shot. Study it closely and put your dot just where you would like to hit it to insure a fast clean kill.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

05-Dec-06

Horn Seeker's embedded Photo
I'll take the muley at the X....bad move?

05-Dec-06

How about this....any shot?

05-Dec-06

Here's my choice....at 10 yards.

05-Dec-06

The ultimate Frontal Shot.

05-Dec-06
Wait til he gets out of the water and freezes solid and tag him. Why waste an arrow?

07-Dec-06
huntsman, I don't care what shot you take, I just don't like advocating to new bowhunters the frontal shot. There isn't anyone on this site that has not missed an animal and if you can miss a animal you can miss that hole.

07-Dec-06
And dr bob the same exact scenario goes for broadside shots too.

So should we all just tell the young and the old that there is no shot in bowhunting worth taking because we might miss?

To take it a step farther, if a person is not a good shot, then he has a much better chance of wounding a critter broadside than he does straight on because the area to hit is so much bigger. If he shoot a foot to the left or right on a frontal he misses the critter, but if he does that on broadside shot he either hits in the side of theneck (a no no) or in the guts (a no no).

I just don't understand why people think its okay to take broadside shots that posses the same risks or more (because the distances areusually farther) than it is to take a close in front shot. To me your theory and thinking doesn't hold much water.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

07-Dec-06
Just like life. Some people plan to succeed, others worry about falling short. 2cents

07-Dec-06
BB the only thing I can tell is that you can't tell the difference between 15" and 5". I don't take long shots and I don't take frontal shots and I don't tell others to do so.

07-Dec-06
Warning* new bowhunters should not take this shot.

Is that better? Now it has a warning like every single. Cup of coffee, twistie tie, plastic bag and even tops on soda. Can we put a warning directly on the arrows next too.

"There isn't anyone on this site that has not missed an animal and if you can miss a animal you can miss that hole"

I would bet to say there are people on this site who have not missed an animal. Im out though, Ive missed a squirrel at 30 yards running on a limb im still ate up about.

BB I really appreciate these threads as said by others here and I think the responses on this one are going well. Its not for everyone, but some would like to have it a trick in our books. If for nothing else for follow up shots on a wounded animal. Though if under 10 yards there is no doubt I will take this shot if presented properly.

07-Dec-06
"And this is one of the main reasons more animals percentage wise are lost to broadside or quartering shots than are lost to front on shots."

BB,

I'm not disagreeing with your, or anyone elses success with frontal shots. But you continually make this statement as if it is a fact. I have never seen and evidence of this being the case, nor have I seen any viable studies that would have tracked this percentage. Help me out will ya?

07-Dec-06
Help me out here BB?

08-Dec-06
The same statement is made over and over again about the frontal shot Bullhound... Who's right? I'll take the guys word that has "been there, done that"...

08-Dec-06
dr. bob, I don't take long shots either, and I don't tell others to take them either. I do take close in frontals shots as I believe they are one of, if not the deadliest shots in bowhunting. But I don't tell others to take them! I just think people should be aware of some facts and then choose to use them to their best advantage.

Bullbound, like I have stated many times, there are no statistics of which I am aware that bear out my statement other than my own. But I have been bowhunting for over 45 years and I've seen quite a bit happen through all those years and I've seen lots of trends and tendencies that I'm sure many don't see, because they are not searching. I am..

I have a number of different interests in life, but bowhunting is my real passion. I pay very close attention to the results of the shots I shoot and to those of other hunters. It's taught me a whole lot through the years. One main thing I have learned, is the broadside shot, although good, is not the holy grail of bowhunting. It is far from that and yet most hunters have been taught that it and the quartering away shot are bowhunting’s best. After what I have seen and learned through the years, I disagree.

I would be willing to say that over half the bowhunters on this site don't know where to aim at close in broadside critter. Many are still teaching, and think, that “behind the front shoulder" is the place to hit.

Bowhunting, like all other things, is ever evolving and one needs to keep on the learning edge. If one doesn't do this, it is akin to burying ones head in the sand

Threads like this seem to bring out the experts, many of which whose advise is given without anything but what they learned second hand.

You will always have people who refuse to learn, or change from their preconceived ideas. A good example of this is the pee bottle, (of which I used to use).. There will always be guys that think human urine scares the critters they hunt. Many of those people are have mind sets that don’t allow them to change, to learn and or to expand their knowledge. Their egos are far more important than is the truth. We see that in every day life and we see on this site. It’s human nature.

No one here is telling anyone to take this shot.. That is a choice that is left to each and every individual. All most of us who take the shot want others to know, that close in, with the right equipment or hunter , it is a very deadly shot that generally leaves a very good blood trail. If you don’t want to take it, that’s fine, but study up and be aware of what can and does happen on broadside shots.

Have a great bowhunt. BB .

08-Dec-06
"The same statement is made over and over again about the frontal shot Bullhound... Who's right? I'll take the guys word that has "been there, done that"..."

Take it easy, Ernie, I'm not attacking your idol:) Right or wrong, I'm not saying, but I've been there & PASSED that!

"Bullbound, like I have stated many times, there are no statistics of which I am aware that bear out my statement other than my own. But I have been bowhunting for over 45 years and I've seen quite a bit happen through all those years and I've seen lots of trends and tendencies that I'm sure many don't see, because they are not searching. I am.. "

I don't know how much of your comments were directed at me, or if "Bullbound" was a typo, but I was not attacking you in any way. It is just that you've made that statement and, in the context of your message, it sounds as if it is a Fact. I understand that this is just your opinion. I do understand also that you've got alot of years of experience and I absolutely respect your opinion. It would be foolhardy to discount the opinion of anybody with many, many years of experience.

I may not agree with all of your opinions, just as you may not agree with all of mine. I do not, however, think that because someone doesn't agree with your opinion on something it automatically means that:

"You will always have people who refuse to learn, or change from their preconceived ideas."

And I don't think it means that:

"Their egos are far more important than is the truth."

Just because they don't agree with your opinion doesn't mean it's because of their ego. That statement can always be reversed.:)

The fact of the matter is I've had the shot (probably a dozen times under 15 yards) and passed each time. I'm not saying it isn't a very lethal shot. The only people that I know personally who have taken the shot are two good buddies of mine. They were both successful and didn't have to track much! Each has taken the shot one time. Myself, I'd rather take out both lungs from the side and have always opted to wait for that shot, or not let loose the arrow. I may take the frontal shot this week though.

For those that are proponents of this shot, I'd just suggest, if I can, that you continue to remind folks that this shot is only for up real close, and should not be taken unless you are absolutely sure of the animals anatomy, and are certain you can place the arrow in the perfect spot.

08-Dec-06
I too will plug my 3d deer in the front all day long without a second though! He's always dead too, and a short blood trail.

Very thought provoking thread...that is for sure. Hopefully everyone will come out of it a richer man.

08-Dec-06
Bullhound, that was a typo and I know you’re just asking questions to get answers for all. And although it might have sounded as if I was addressing all my statements to you, they were meant to all who reads them.

I did mean to infer that anyone who doesn't agree with me (or anyone else) has an ego problem. But there are individuals, who because of their ego will never change their opinion. That comment was made to take in that class of people.

But on this site and in real life I stand by these two statements, (1) "You will always have people who refuse to learn, or change from their preconceived ideas." and (2) "Their egos are far more important than is the truth."

Those are just a facts of life, and to those people it’s not about truth, facts or anything like that, it is all about them, their power, their ego etc. Those people won't listen as they already know everything. We all know their kind. But the average joe who is seeking the real truth does not close their mind to learning and to advancing their knowledge.

We should all seek and try to discover the truth in all we do. That principle is just as true in bowhunting as it is in real life. Though the years I learned to listen to my arrow and to my broadhead. They don't lie; they don't deceive, they have no ego and no perceived ideas, they just tell it like it is. If more people would learn to listen to what their arrow and broadhead are saying, they would end up far better bowhunters. I try to tell others what my arrows and broadheads are telling me.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

08-Dec-06
"We should all seek and try to discover the truth in all we do. That principle is just as true in bowhunting as it is in real life. Though the years I learned to listen to my arrow and to my broadhead. They don't lie; they don't deceive, they have no ego and no perceived ideas, they just tell it like it is. If more people would learn to listen to what their arrow and broadhead are saying, they would end up far better bowhunters. I try to tell others what my arrows and broadheads are telling me."

hey bud, wait a minute! You're getting way, way too deep for me!:)

BB, Have a great day!

& bowhunt!

09-Dec-06
Hornseeker: You go along with taking this shot. But do you realize when you placed you (X) on the elk picture above, you just wounded him. Way too low!

BB: If you are going to preach this kind of BS, maybe you need to place your own (X) on the picture. Apparently you didn't get the message across to Hornseeker and others.

I think everyone that agrees with what BB is preaching here needs to take a NBEF course.

Now, can this shot be lethal? Yes very much so. (IF) there is proper shot placement. The same can be said for a shot right up the old poop chute or reverse frontal shot.

There is one hell of alot of difference in shooting at a spot you can readily see as opposed to one that is covered with hair, bone, and muscle. Hornseekers example just goes to show me that even believers in this type of shot have no idea of what they are talking about.

09-Dec-06
Bill I agree to differ with you on about every count you brought up. Let me ask you this, how many critters have you killed with a frontal shot? How many times have you witnessed or been there when your buddies or hunting partner took that shot and seen their results?

I think Hornseeker would have killed both the animals he placed the dot upon. Look at the deer closely and see how's it is facing. He placed his x most perfectly for the travel of his arrow. On the bull which is actually a slight bit more straight on than is the deer, he realized the elk is standing at a higher elevation than is his position, and thus placed his X for the travel of his arrow.

I am a bowhunter ed instructor, so I have taken the course and also the instructors course. I will have to agree with you that it is time well spent and a lot of valuable can be derived from taking the course. But that course, like about everything else in this life is not infallible.

From my observations, and its only my personal observations, many of the instructors I know that teach this class are great individuals and very giving of their time, but most or many have little real experience in taking critters with their bow.

I might add, that when I took the course my eyes were opened a great deal. I was taught, by my father, who strictly rifle hunted, to always try to shoot a critter just behind the front leg. So for almost 30 years of bowhunting that is where I aimed on broadside shots. Once I took the course and realized the true make up of the front leg, and that the most vascular area was straight up the front leg and forward, I moved my aiming point forward and have watched the majority of the critter I have taken since then go down within sight.

So I would be the very last to say bowhunter education is not important. But I would also be one of the first to say that bowhunter education doesn’t have all the answers either. Everything in life can be improved upon. And that should be the goal of every individual and every program.

We should not loose site of the fact that all things, and that includes bowhunting has to be able to change and progress. There are always better and more improved ways to do things if one keeps an open mind and open eye.

There is probably no one subject that has turned more people against me than the straight on shot. Through the years I have received a lot PM’s and emails telling me what a jerk I was for telling people to take this shot. But never once have I ever told anyone to take this shot. I’ve only told them that with the proper equipment, and at a close distance, it is one of bowhunting’s most deadly shots. I think I would be burying my head in the sand if I didn’t tell others what I have experienced. I have also warned many about the things that can and do happen on broadside shots. I feel I owe this obligation to bowhunting itself, and that’s why I do it.

So again Bill, where would you place your X and how many critters have you taken with this shot?

And since you brought up the pooper shot, I have very strong feelings on that too. If one is close in and shoots under the hip bone, it too is a very lethal shot. Through the years I have taken a number of animals that way, I have never lost one of those either. It’s certainly not my favorite shot, but at very close range I would not hesitate to kill an animal in that manner. I know even more people detest that shot than the frontal, but that is my position, wither people like it or not.

Like I mentioned above, I listen to what my arrow is telling me, and I think if all hunters did that, bowhunting would be much better off and in the final analysis we would end up hitting and losing far less critters. And to me that is the very bottom line.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

09-Dec-06

ElkNut1's Link
Interesting thoughts there guys! With all due respect WW (Bill) I too would shoot that bull where HornSeeker has placed his X. He could be off 2"-3" to the left of his X & still be ok. This would be on a ground shot, if in a treestand then I would aim higher up on the mane as you suggest.

I can show you photos of both deer & elk that have fallen to similar shot angles. When in close, it's deadly & doable!!! I'd take it in a second! With that said---

Frontal Shots Are Not For Everyone!! Be disciplined & stay within your comfort zones. Only we as individuals know our limitatations per shot, don't force them!!!

ElkNut1

09-Dec-06
Frontal Shots Are Not For Everyone!! Be disciplined & stay within your comfort zones. Only we as individuals know our limitatations per shot, don't force them!!!

ElkNut1

Paul: I totally agree with your last statement. This is the KEY to making this shot.

I have made the shot as has yourself and BB. But I certianly would never encourage others to do so not knowing their ability to stand firm in the path of a bull head on at close range.

BB: I'm sending you an email on an unrelated subject. I think you might be interested in it.

09-Dec-06
Y-y-you m-m-mean when y-y-you're haveing a h-h-hard time just d-d-drawing your b-b-bow???

LOL! Thanks guys, always a pleasure to hear all the different opinions! Very educational, in many, many ways!

Have a great weekend boys. The seasons still open in some places??? Go give em that 2 min. drill!

10-Dec-06
WW, I am very curious as to where you would aim on that shot, as you feel Hornseeker's X was misplaced. For educational purposes, show us where you would aim and then explain why. I would really like to hear your input.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

(And thanks for the back stuff. Although that isn't what I my problem is, I do know a lady that is suffering from that exact thing and will let her know. Again thanks.

10-Dec-06
That shot needs to just about the heigth of the (X) higher than what is shown in the picture in order to clear the brisket bone. The idea of the shot is to place the arrow where there is no bone to interfer with the shot. I'm sure you know where the grapefruit size opening in the skelital structure is.

11-Dec-06

I think Hornseeker is spot on....here is line representing arrow path roughly parrallel to the bulls spine angle (very conservative angle considering the bull is HIGHER than the shooter).....looks like top of the heart to me...My favorite spot.....most of the elk i have looked at...where the dark mane meets the short hair is still above any bone.....but maybe idaho bulls have shorter beards....= ^) WW...three inches higher...I think you would kill him too...but with the up angle id take the lower X every time...

12-Dec-06
nobody is saying that the frontal shot is the preferred shot. but to a good shooter at 20 yards or less. the frontal is a kill shot for sure.

ive shot 1 bull out of 4 pope bulls that was taken at 18 with a frontal. dead bull in 50 yards and the arrow was totally in the body cavity. blood was great.

12-Dec-06
Yeah Bill (K), I think BB has taught me well and I'll still put the X there.

And yeah, at the angle of my shot, that line is close, but I bet its just a tad steeper up hill. From the few elk I've examined up close, I'm above the brisket on that shot.

TD....Yyyyeeeepp.pp.pp. :0)

12-Dec-06
Hi Ernie, Hope you and the girls are well! Here's another guy's input on this... An arrow hitting the exact center of that "X" would just barely clear bone, if it cleared it at all.

You can see where the bull's left scapula meets the humerus in the photo, and the same joint is visible on his right side... draw a line between the two joints. In my estimation, you need to either put your "X" more than 3 inches higher (if that marks a shooter's intended point of aim), and hope the bull doesn't drop his chin before your arrow arrives... or, do what most of us would do and wait for him to turn and take the better broadside shot.

Hitting the "grapefruit-sized opening" is only part of the battle. Knowing where that opening is located and the animal standing still for your arrow to hit that opening are a couple other big parts of that battle. Some of these guys can be pretty persuasive, let your own in-field experience tell you what is the best shot.

Tim

13-Dec-06
One thing to remember about this shot, and it's very important, is to let the rocking motion from the quick stop of your ATV to settle out before you shoot so you can hit the bull in the right spot.

13-Dec-06
Any of you guys ever take the frontal shot with traditional equipment? If so, what poundage recurve or longbow and weight arrow and BH were you using. How did it turn out?

Rob

13-Dec-06
"Any of you guys ever take the frontal shot with traditional equipment? If so, what poundage recurve or longbow and weight arrow and BH were you using. How did it turn out?"

12 yards - 56#@29" - recurve - CX TERMINATOR SELECT 4560 - Grizzly 190 grn El Grande - 550 grns total arrow weight - entered just to the right of the windpipe and exited sixth rib - dead in under 20 seconds - recovery 30 yards.

14-Dec-06
That big bull that was just taken in New Mexico, biggest bull taken with archery gear supposedly, was killed with a 'curve and it sure looks like a frontal shot to me.

14-Dec-06
Thanks for the input Tim...Hope all is well over there too.

He wont drop his chin in mid bugle! :0)

I cant wait to get another elk on the ground so I can take another look at that bit of anatomy. Hopefully I'll have the time and patience to do a little dissection and photo documentary...that may be usefully for all of us...especially me.

I am looking forward to the next 20 elk seasons and hoping that I'll get Lots of that "in the field" experience I need to be confident with what shots I am going to be taking. Hopefully I'll get a chance to hear what my arrow and broadhead have to say! I've stated above, that this shot is not for me anymore...I shoot a lighter weight longbow and feel like it doens't meet the criteria...

Merry Christmas All...I'm leaving on a trip and wont be around for a while.

Ernie

14-Dec-06
Horn Seeker: I hope you don't think I was knocking you on your choice of arrow placement. But I have sawed through alot of rib cages on elk for our hunters and too many times when I thought I was about done, I found out that I still had a ways to go. That thing does reach up there pretty high. Much higher than most would think. We took over 80 elk last year so I have seen a few.

I admire your choice of not taking that shot because of the equipment you choose to use.

14-Dec-06
"let your own in-field experience tell you what is the best shot."

Good advice. I always let my own in-field experience tell me what is the best shot, and I have no problem taking a frontal shot on a bull when the situation is right. It has worked for me several times.

Having said that, the situation has to be right for a broadside shot also, it is not always a slam-dunk shot as some of you obviously beleive.

It is important to understand where the heavy bones are before taking a shot. Personally I think there is an opening larger than a "grapefruit" size on a straight on bull elk.

IMO, the key is to have the bull close and standing dead still. Of course "composure" is critical on a frontal as it is on any shot, including broadside.

14-Dec-06
Good input guys, great discussion. No doubt an arrow placed in that opening will kill an elk quick. It's getting the arrow there that is the question, IMO. What weight longbow are you shootin' Ernie? I have to stay around 55 pounds myself these days! Tim

15-Dec-06
last night, I was watching a hunting show, call game and gear adventures,,The hunt was in AZ. And a 17 yr old shot a 424 bull stright on, the arrow bearly went in, but the bull did go down pretty fast,, now I wonder how much experiance that kid had,, that was his 1st elk.

15-Dec-06
I don't know what experience the kid had, but I will say he is ruined for life.

15-Dec-06
I think he had the same amount of experience I did on my first frontal shot. And the same amount he would have had, had he taken a broadside shot.

It's just like the broadside shot, it’s very deadly if done properly. If not the results might be the same too.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

16-Dec-06
i killed a cow,quartering slightly to me. as i remember about 20,22 yds.hit that soft spot between the brisket and leg.went about 30,40 yards out of my sight.when i got to him it looked like a bucket of paint was splashed on a lodgepole.when i got the heart out about 4" of my arrow and my broadhead was inside of the heart. O.K. now,here is a front shot i did not take.i was sitting at a trail, where i was sitting had some yew-wood brush between me and the trail.a good 6 pt.came down the trail,when he cleared i drew and he stepped to me,about 4 or 5 yards away.all i could see was his head and 18 20" of his neck.my thoughts where,shoot under the chin,maybe side of neck,hit the jugular or maybe shoot him in the eye.well i ended up not shooting,and he winded me and run off. QUESTION:should have i shot. the reason he turned to me was as it turned out i had a squeek in a wheel on my bow. i couldn't hear it,one of the guys i was hunting with noticed it later that day.

17-Dec-06
"my thoughts where,shoot under the chin,maybe side of neck,hit the jugular or maybe shoot him in the eye.well i ended up not shooting,and he winded me and run off. QUESTION:should have i shot"

i dont think the question is should i have shot as much as should i archery hunt!!!!! If you truly did "think about shooting him in the eye" you really have no business carrying a bow...trade it in on a rifle, then take the shot...

17-Dec-06
of course i wasn't going to shoot him in the eye.that wild thought came and went.but dont you question my ethics,i asked a question hot shot,did the elk give me a killing humane shot.

17-Dec-06
of course i wasn't going to shoot him in the eye.that wild thought came and went.but dont you question my ethics,i asked a question hot shot,did the elk give me a killing humane shot.i could have shot but did not.

17-Dec-06
Mike your original post didn't indicate that it was a wild thought come and gone....it came across like you were STILL pondering if you could have made the shot....so i guess the answer to your question is ....Yes you made the right choice....or the bull winded you before you could make a poor choice....

Hotshot

17-Dec-06
Mike your original post didn't indicate that it was a wild thought come and gone....it came across like you were STILL pondering if you could have made the shot....so i guess the answer to your question is ....Yes you made the right choice....OR the bull winded you before you could make a poor choice....

Hotshot = ^)

18-Dec-06
O.K. if thats a apology,i accept.i was at full draw when the bull stuck his head over the brush.i was hopeful that he would give me a good shot,the choices of a shot went thru my mind.i was waiting for a good shot and then he blew out of there.

18-Dec-06
A man is judged by his actions, not his thoughts. I see a very healthy blond female specimen at a party I can get all kinds of thoughts, most of them stupid. I don't commit adultery until I act on those thoughts. I've watched movies about bank robbers and thought of how I would have done it if it were me. Doesn't make me a bank robber.

Mike had some thoughts and did the right thing. Good for him. I've had those same thoughts on animals, just trying to find a way, any way, to slip one in there. In the end you decide for yourself. He made the right choice. Letting them walk is never a bad choice. Making a bad shot is always bad. I've made bad ones that I thought were slam dunks. Never saw the twig that deflected or the branch my bow limb dinked. Stuff happens.

16-Mar-09

piton's embedded Photo
piton's embedded Photo
The picture angle doesn't look like he's dead canter head on. If he's straight head on center, this is my shot.

• Sitka Gear