x-man 02-Oct-06
hunting dad 03-Oct-06
hunting dad 05-Oct-06
Bushbow 05-Oct-06
Robin/MO 05-Oct-06
JTV 05-Oct-06
hunting dad 05-Oct-06
01-Oct-06
In my latest issue of Petersen's Bowhunting, Randy Ulmer has an article that I beleive should put a lot of the "void" controversy to rest.

I was once a "void" beleiver. I have come around recently, and think that Randy's article really clears things up even more and confirms exactly what I have found to be true.

Happy hunting to all; Lariat.

01-Oct-06
This is an old wives tale that will live on forever. There is no void. Use Jak-Hammers and you will make a hole big enough that fat won't seal it up. Single blade broadheads are deadly but once in a great while a deer could survive a lung shot.

02-Oct-06
I used to believe it too, until I hit a doe high that tried to jump the string. I sliced the top of both lungs and put a slice in the under side of the spine. I was using a 1 1/8" cut fixed blade BH, which means that both lungs were touching the spine when the arrow went through.

02-Oct-06
Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that I was hunting from a Double Bull blind at ground level.

03-Oct-06
Void or no void, a high hit can be trouble. I have video of an MF elk shot broadside,full penetration but a little high. It ended up being shot 2 months later by a rifle hunter. Animals are tough!! shows how important shot placement is in our sport. Shoot straight and have fun. By the way, the SCI score was 432"

05-Oct-06
don't know where mf came from. should be AZ

05-Oct-06
Hunt Dad - Where was it hit? Above the spine I presume?

05-Oct-06
Yep, the article won't clear it up. There is already a post in here that shows some guys just don't understand...

Too bad, because it is pretty simple really.

05-Oct-06
Isnt Ulmer a veternarian ?? I would think if anyone would know it would be him.....Jeff

05-Oct-06
Bushbow, the shot was just above center line in chest. It was bleeding and the bull jumped in the tank and swam across and up into the junipers on the other side. It appeared to start to sway so they didn't try for a second shot thinking it was done. The bull walked off and wasn't seen again till rifle season. I'll try to get a still photo from the video if the outfitters are back from this season. The shot looks good on film. It just goes to show you how tough these critters are. I would have liked to be there when it was gutted to see the physical damage from the arrow shot. I'm not trying to argue pro or con on the "void" issue, just shot placement and how important it is to game recovery. I've already heard 3 stories of lost bulls in AZ due to poor shot placement.

• Sitka Gear