BIGHORN 23-Jan-09
Bighorn191 23-Jan-09
thrasher 23-Jan-09
Sandbrew 23-Jan-09
city hunter 23-Jan-09
vic 26-Jan-09
01-Aug-08
Hello all,

This report is long over due but I've been pretty busy combing the state looking for "the ram" I have not found him....yet

So far I have been scouting and hiking to get into shape. I got a new bow to get sighted in as well. I can't believe how fast the time has flown by since April 19th when I drew.

I marked my calendar with a count down of days until Aug 1st when the first archery season opens in S32. The last 104 days have been busy. I will try to get you all up to speed.

First couple of weeks I was in shock.I made tons of phone calls and sent emails to everyone I could think of to get as much info as I could.

I went on quite a few spring/summer hikes just to get the legs heart and lungs pumping. I been to several new place in Colorado this year and I'm really have fun looking for my ram.

I scouted S51 and S50 with my friend Dan at the end of June. Dan and I spent a weekend looking and seeing the sites of previous harvests all over the units. We glassed several sheep, ewes lambs and a few rams but no shooters in my mind.

I got my game plan together and decided to concentrate on the openers of several units that in the past have produced great rams.

I headed back down to S51 last weekend for a more in-depth look around. I found and hiked to some great glassing spots but didn't see any rams worthy of my tag. The truck is packed, the bow is shooting great and I'm headed out in the morning for the weekend opener in hopes of seeing a monster.

Good luck to all the other hunters out there.

Glass don't hike Shoot straight Kill a trophy!

to be continued......

Sandbrew

01-Aug-08
Thanks and please do keep us posted. Looking forward to hearing more about your experiences with this hunt.

01-Aug-08
Take your time and enjoy the season Sandbrew. Hunt every unit you can. Hopefully you have lots of vaca. time. God knows you deserve this experience. Have fun and keep us posted. I leave for the Yukon the 16th for another try at a Stone with the bow. Terry

01-Aug-08
I hope you shoot a whopper on the last possible day....you should consider quitting your job, or take a medical leave of absense since you are now afflicted with "a fever" that can't be cured until the season closes on Dec 31.

03-Aug-08
Best of luck, we will be keeping track. Thanks for sharing.

03-Aug-08
Looking forward to hearing about the hunt. Make sure to take lots of pictures, both scouting and hunting.

03-Aug-08
Good luck, John and Terry- Look forward to seeing some great pics!!

03-Aug-08
John, give me a call if you need a packer.

04-Aug-08
No need for a packer yet.

I'll try to post some pics when I can...

Hot Hot Hot the only way to describe my weekend.

I arrived in S51 Friday afternoon, I went up the trail about 1.5 miles and spotted 6 ewes 2 lambs above treeline and 3 rams in a saddle well above treeline. 2 ¾ curls and 1 7/8 curl.

Friday night - I stopped by Scott Limmer’s camp and talked with the auction buyer Jim from NY who was also hunt the S51 opener. No word from them yet. Scott mentioned he talk to one of the S51 hunters who said he had a good ram spotted for Saturday AM No word from either of those 2 hunters as of Sunday night.

I made plans to camp at another trailhead and hike in before first light Sat AM to see what was on the south side of Spanish Peaks. I hiked in about 2 miles and started glassing. I spotted 6 ewes and lambs in a saddle. As it grew lighter it warmed up fast. By 8:30 AM I was baking in the sun. I decided to hike around a bit more and look for glassing spots. By this time the trail was full of people. I sat in a shady spot to glass and had a father son duo walked within 14 yards of me and they never saw me sitting on the open slope below a tree. I side hilled around at about 12,000 along some sheep trails and stumbled on some well used beds. I peered into several deep slides but saw no more sheep. I headed back towards the truck about noon. I saw 30+ people on the trail but no rams

Sat afternoon I headed for a higher and hopefully cooler ground….no such luck not a cloud in the sky or a sheep to be seen.

Sat Eve I did run into one of the other S51 hunter RMBS Mike A from Cortez, with his wife and son. Mike shared his “almost” story from earlier in the day. He stalked 55 yards on a ram but had no good shot so he passed. We shared dinner, cribbage, a beer, a fire and a campsite.

Sunday 4:30 AM up to head to up a trail to a drainage a couple of drainages from any roads and trails. Seemed like there had been people on every road or trail so an out of the way place would be right where the rams would be…..wrong. After a 2.5 hour hike uphill bush whacking my way from 9000 to 12000 feet I finally broke out into an unmolested alpine basin….not a sheep in sight just 5 cow elk. I glassed until 9:30 and the headed back downhill taking a much better route I made it to the main marked trail in about an hour. I also stumbled upon the perfect glassing spot 200 yards off the main trail and 2000 vertical feet lower…lesson learned for next trip

04-Aug-08
John,

With both you and the auction hunter there, is S51 the new S32?

Great to hear you are seeing some sheep, hving some fun, and able to share the experience with us!

Good hunting-

michael

05-Aug-08
You're doing great. Keep doing what you did this weekend. The hiker pressure will fade, the other hunters will be done and you have lots of time. Keep us posted.

05-Aug-08
Best of luck this weekend. Shoot straight when the chance presents itself!

05-Aug-08
S51, the new S32? yeah right!

05-Aug-08
Your tag goes all the way to December? Wow! That's going to be fun!

06-Aug-08

Sandbrew's embedded Photo

06-Aug-08
Well that worked.

This is West Spainish Peak where I spent most of last Saturday. I hiked the treed ridge on the lower right side and then cut across the face that is in the shadows. I spotted 8 or so ewes on in the steep dark chute in the middle and 6 more ewes and lambs on the right side shoulder just above the treeline. The rams seem to like the highest parts of the opposite side pictured here. Enjoy...

Sandbrew

06-Aug-08
Here are few more pics from soem earlier scouting trips.

06-Aug-08

06-Aug-08
Keep the story coming!

06-Aug-08
Jake,

You have lots of help...you will get it done. I trained real hard for my hunt last year out there and the first two days made me think I had done it all for nothing. You'll get stronger every day, hang in there and enjoy!

06-Aug-08
Who is Jake?

06-Aug-08
A guy whom possesses a golden object.

06-Aug-08
...full of stinkin' luck.

06-Aug-08
Some lucky non-resident bum that drew a 1st season archery tag for S32....with one weighted preference point.

07-Aug-08
Sounds like Scott Limmer aka CWO has guided the 2008 Statewide Auction hunter to a "goooooood ram" in S51. Can't wait to here the details. No confirmation on a a kill at this time....might be they passed.

I also heard the Non Res Archery hunter in S9 killed a good ram with Sangre DeCristo Outfitters.....very impressive in that country!

Sandbrew

07-Aug-08
Things are pretty slow this year on the sheep harvest front.

22-Sep-08
Here’s a quick update be warned I am rifle hunting now. I still have a couple of bow only areas to check out but I am waiting until the rut or the season opens to check them out with my bow.

Aug 21-23 1st Rifle opener

The best I saw was a heavy tight 3/4-7/8 broomed ram about 165ish.

I had a great time.....I saw turkeys, grouse and I saw tons of elk some VERY nice bulls. I a true monster mulie 30+ wide, high and heavy walk within 150 yards above treeline. I found great ambush sight with a prebuilt rock blind. I stumbled onto a bunch of busted up plane pieces. I had 4 Osprey tubro prop military planes buzz me at 12000+ feet The seemed to be only 100-200 feet above me. I could see the rivets and panels on the belly of the plane. The noise was deafening!

I did hear that one of the first season rifle hunters filled opening day. No size or score on the ram.

22-Sep-08
Sept 11-12 2nd Rifle opener

Spent a few days in S51 again. The weather was lousy. Lots of low clouds and fog reminded me of BC or Alaska. I spent time with Al V and his hunter Kent. We glassed lots of the usual places and I spotted 4 rams before Al!. No chance at going after them since they had been spooked by 3 CDOW employees hiking the alpine doing a Pika study!

We saw the other S51 hunter. He was pretty active and spent one of the fogged in mornings spooking sheep. I glassed 11 ewes and lambs from 3-4 miles away in the patchy fog, and he was hiking right above 2-300 yards them but I doubt he ever saw them. He needs to learn to use his optics instead of his legs and lungs.

When I chatted with him he seemed disappointed he hadn't seen any rams yet. As we talked along the road I had my scope on 13 sheep but he never saw them. A wise old sheep hunter told me before my first sheep hunt in 2000 "Glass don't hike"

22-Sep-08
Sept 20-21

I made it out for a quick hunt and I’m glad I did. Each time I go now I see more and more sheep especially rams. This weekend I saw 2 different groups one had 11 rams. I watched them until dark Sat night. There was a good heavy ¾+ curl ram about 170 and 6 or 8 other thinner ¾ curls and a few ½ to 5/8 curls. Nothing that really got me excited so decided to try another area Sat. at first light.

After about an hour of glassing I spotted 5 rams over 2 miles away. One looked pretty good so I decide to try out my stalking skills and get some exercise. After about 2 hour hike I was near the chute the rams had been in. I hiked up the forested edge of the chute in the trees until I was level to where the rams had been. I sat and glassed for about an hour……nothing. I decided to hike straight across the 100 yard wide chute to the trees across and still hunt looking for the rams. I’m ½ way across in no mans land when I look up slope and see 5 sheep crossing above me. As I get my bino up I notice 2 ewes 2 yearlings and 1 lamb. Not the group of rams. I angle into the trees and find a good trail I follow to the next chute. At the edge of the chute I carefully glass up and down looking for sheep. Nothing… I start across the chute and about ½ way across I look up and back to the edge I just came out of….sheep butts! I drop to the rocks and try to make myself and my pack fit behind one large rock and a couple small bushes. All of the sheep are head down feeding slowly up hill. I glass and range the sheep 5 rams! All at between 119 to 147 yards. One ½ curl and 4 ¾ curls one ram has a deep drop but not much mass about a 165ish ram. He’ll be a good one in a few years. I was able back out once they feed up hil and over a rise without disturbing them.

Maybe next trip…..

22-Sep-08
good luck be safe and have fun

22-Sep-08
Sounds like FUN, John. Keep after it, slow down on the stalks. I'll give you a call.

23-Sep-08
Good luck John!!! Keep after them and keep us posted.

14-Oct-08
Hey John, How's the Raffle tag huntign going? Are you seeing some new rams out there with the weather changing like it has been?

14-Oct-08
Update Sept 25 I left my house at 3 AM. Spent all day glassing for sheep sun up to sun down. Spotted 14 sheep to bad they were all lambs 5 and ewes 9. A few had ear tags # 67 and # 56 one to old and faded to make out. Glassed until dark no rams. That night I met up with my friend guide Al V and he brought a packer, Chuck, courtesy of Sangre De Cristo Outfitters. Good sign I figured Al thinks we’ll get a sheep!

Sept 26 Up at 5 AM to hike up the mountain. 6:45 Am I spot a sheep, a ram waaaay up on the mountain. He’s a decent ram ¾ curl with good mass but not a monster. He feeds up hill into the trees. Lots of slow quiet hiking sheep/rams could be anywhere…..but they are not. We spot 3 ewes and 2 lambs at 160 yards One ewe is ear tag #60 a different group than the day before. We slip up and over a saddle and spot a 6x5 bull and several cows. We jump a BIG buck bedded on the ridge top. It’s getting dark so we slowly head down the ridgeline. At about the same instant Al freezes and I spy just over his shoulder a ram head down feeding at 20 yards! Most of his head is blocked by a rock ledge but his bases look GOOD about 16” I figure. His 2nd 1/4 looks good as well about the same 16”. I easy a round into the chamber and he looks our way. He is a good ram actually a very good ram, a ram must people would shoot in a second. He’s ¾ curl and heavy. I guess in my head 175. He and a smaller buddy head off down the ridge and stop at 180 and 187 yard. Al says he’s 175-178 I agree. We let them wander off and then continue down the ridge in the dark.

Sept 27 A very special day for me. I can’t remember my Anniversary, wife’s or kid’s birthdays but I will always remember Sept 27 2000 the day I killed my first ram with a bow in Colorado. Maybe today would be another lucky day for me. We hiked we glassed we hiked some more we sat we glassed. Nothing except ewe #60 her 2 friend and 2 lambs.

Oct 5 With Al and Chuck again. Cold snowy and windy. Glassed in the AM saw 14 rams. An excellent start to the day! From over 2 miles away we can seeing head butting and o ther rutting activity. We watch the rams until about noon and then decide to try to get closer. We close the gap to 1000 yards and sit an watch in the cold. 8 rams are headed into a basin that has at least 30 ewes and lambs in it. The 2 biggest rams linger and bed with 4 others on top of an inaccessible ridge. One ram is a shooter says Al likely 182-184. I trust Al he’s has been on 168 sheep kills including a 183+ and 182+ this year in the same areas we are hunting now. We glass and watch sheep until the cold and fog drive us back to my pop up camper. We make a plan for the AM. We are going back but will sneak up the ridge with the ewes and lambs on it to try get right in with the sheep.

Oct 6 Cold and FOGGY the ridge tops are socked in, About 10 AM they finally clear we glass the ridge with ewes on it an count over 50 ewes and lambs but see no rams. We hike up and get to 73 yards of 6 ewes and 3 lambs but see no rams. The fog rolls back in and we can’t see 50 feet. We sit and wait the fog never lifts we head of the mountain without seeing a ram this day. As we drive back out we glance back and window opens….6 rams on the ridge top and no way to get to them.

To be continued………….

14-Oct-08
" I trust Al he’s has been on 168 sheep kills ..."

Impressive! How old is he?

14-Oct-08
Sandbrew,

I don't know how that post up there got in here...I put that in there thread where Jake was hunting his Bighorn! Good luck with YOUR tag...you have lots of time left!

15-Oct-08
Hollywood- Al's a sheep guide in Colorado, the 168 sheep hunts are with clients, all successful, lots of boone and crocket rams. If Al says a sheep is 175, it's probably a 1/2" one way or the other. Vic

15-Oct-08
Good to get the update Sandbrew keep us informed!!!

15-Oct-08
Vic,

Thanks for your support of Al "the guide", however I just asked, ""How old is he?"

I got the whole guide angle, however 168 successful sheep hunts is a staggering #, unless the guy is over 60.

I'm just doing the math and asking an honest question.

I don't doubt, I just want to know, especially if I draw a CO sheep tag.

16-Oct-08
OH, I see what you are looking for now on Al, Hollywood. He's 51 I think. He's the one to go with if you draw.

16-Oct-08
Hollwood - Al counts a few sheep hunts outside Colorado in that number as well as Colorado harvests. He's been guiding for 30 years so 3-4 a year is his average. Sandbrew

16-Oct-08
Thanks guys, that's what I figured, that's why I was guessing him closer to 60.

If you would've said 40, a huge red flag would've gone up! LOL!

Keep after 'em.

23-Oct-08

I finally downloaded a bunch of pics from my last adventure here they are.

23-Oct-08

Lots of lambs and ewes and THICK clouds.

23-Oct-08

Here's a good ram a long way off and "out of bounds"

23-Oct-08

Another very cool scenery shot.

24-Oct-08
Nice pics John, thanks for sharing them. Does the out of bounds ram get a penalty, or does he just loose a down? Or, wait, he actually wins by being out of bounds, he gets to live. Good luck, stay at it.

31-Oct-08
Sandbrew you need to call me, I have INFO ON SOME RAMS! Thanks! T-3.

31-Oct-08
hmmmmm........ That sounds exciting check you PMs for my cell # or email me at [email protected]

13-Nov-08

Still no ram for me.

I'm seeing lots sheep all moving and checking out ewes.

I've seen over 150 differnt rams just not the one I want....yet.

This one is long and deep but not massive. He and his 12 buddies got spooked by some ewes and ewe hunters as I was closing the gap for a better look.

13-Nov-08

When spooked they ran into these cliffs.

One ram nearly fell to his death in the cliffs on the right side of the photo. I decided no to try to follow them.

13-Nov-08

I spotted a couple of ewes high up in some vertical walled cliffs one smaller ram seemed very interested. Here's a couple of shots of them.

Sandbrew

13-Nov-08

One ewe can be seen in this pic headed straight down the face.

13-Nov-08
great pics. Keep at it.

14-Nov-08
Very cool! I hope you pick one soon! Thanks for sharing.

20-Nov-08
The raffle tag ram is down! I'll let John fill everyone in tomorrow. Killed it this morning. I got a phone pic, great ram. Good Job John

21-Nov-08

Here he is along with Tate one the guides from Sangre De Cristo Outfitters. Those guys are awesome.

He's great ram! The hunt was everything I could have ever hoped for...more details later.

Sandbrew

21-Nov-08
Congrats John. Awesome!

21-Nov-08
Good Lord, that thing is enormous! Congrats!

21-Nov-08
Holy cow John! thats a HUGE bodies ram, I guess that headgear is ok also:) .. Great work on a long endeaver that ended as you wanted. Great great work. Brett

21-Nov-08
WOW, what an animal, Congrads John! what does a ram like that weigh? bill v

21-Nov-08
Pretty cool that he killed him under the sign by the barn? Just kidding. Great job John. He is a great ram.

21-Nov-08
Wow, awesome ram. What unit? lets hear the story. Congrats.

21-Nov-08
Nice! Not many rams in Colorado will top that one. If it's not to big of a secret, it would nice to know what unit it came from (my guess southern) and also if he was rutting?

21-Nov-08
Whoa, that's nice!

21-Nov-08
cool...great job!

21-Nov-08
Fantastic Ram..!!! Looks like a Montana or Alberta ram, Got too be one of the top Colorado Rams, Congrats on harvesting that guy..!!!!

21-Nov-08
Good thing they shot him next to the cabin, that beast would've been a major pain to move for pics.

Congrats on a giant ram.

21-Nov-08
How SWEET!

Congratulations!!

Matt

21-Nov-08
I demand a steroid investigation.

Crikey, that's a biggun, John! Glad all the hard work paid off for you.

21-Nov-08
Outstanding Ram. Congrats!!

21-Nov-08
so how much might an animal like that weigh? bill v

21-Nov-08
Glad you guys like him. I'm still waiting on some other photos and some time to post some details.

Vic actually he was in the barn being corn feed to get that big. ;-)

I killed him in S-51 in Southern CO he was at about 12,500 feet. He was rutting hard and had about 20 ewes herded up. He was king of the hill.

He may have some BC genes since some of the sheep down there are transplants.

He was uphill at 180 yards when I shot him. He rolled/slid downhill and ended up 75 yards off an ATV trail. 4 of us loaded him whole that's how he ended up in front of the sign whole.

I have handled several dozen live and dead sheep and he was by FAR the largest I have ever seen first hand.

Not sure what he weighted whole alive.

Gutted, skinned, head off, lower leg bones, and hooves off he was 147 LBS hanging at the butcher today.

I also asked if I could weigh, the skinned head lower jaw and horns, That was 36 LBS.

The entire hide and hooves weighed about 35 lbs. That's 228 lbs.

Not sure what the guts would have weighed. Maybe another 40-50 lbs??? Not sure I never weighed a gut pile. He was easily pushing 275 or more.

I'm going to put a carefull tape on him Saturday and will let you know what I come up with. No matter what the inches he's a trophy in my mind.

Sandrew

21-Nov-08
"I have handled several dozen live and dead sheep and he was by FAR the largest I have ever seen first hand"

You are truly blessed. Thanks again for sharing. A magnificent sheep.

The dream's alive fellas, keep after it!!!!!

22-Nov-08
John,

Congratulations on getting such a great ram. I was beginning to wonder if you were sitting at home watching the Broncos on the weekends instead of hunting. Can't wait to hear the statistics.

22-Nov-08
Holy-Moly!!!

What a stud of a Ram.

Look at that mas!

Ya did great John!

Good luck, Robb

22-Nov-08
Congratulations on that fantastic animal. He's a hoss!

There went the raffle odds ;-)

23-Nov-08
Great job! That must have been a fantastic hunt.

23-Nov-08
Congratulations on the hunt of a lifetime. Not only were you able to take an incredible ram, you were able to do it in a manner that made it a hunt you'll never duplicate again.

You're one very fortunate hunter. Please post more photos and details when you can. Thanks for sharing with us.

23-Nov-08
LET'S HEAR IT!

24-Nov-08
Emporor- John's ram has a rough green of 182+ right now, so, he will make book for sure.

24-Nov-08
Congrats John! Beautiful ram.

Dave

24-Nov-08
emperor- you actually made a great guess without any info on measurements. 4" from one picture is really good. Great sheep pics, thanks for sharing them.

24-Nov-08
great ram ...

24-Nov-08
Holy Smokes!

Great looking sheep. Congratulations! Also thanks a bunch for sharing your story and pics!

Nick

25-Nov-08

25-Nov-08

25-Nov-08

25-Nov-08
Here's a couple more angles that show his mass and character better. I really love the ridge on the outer edge of both horns and big chip out of his right horn to bad it falls right on his 2nd 1/4. The knot on his roman nose is very cool as well.

Sorry about wrecking the raffle odds. I felt I really need to kill a great ram to help promote the raffle. We really do have some fantastic rams in Colorado and scenery isn't bad either. Don't worry I'm not buying any Colorado sheep raffle tickets next year.

I still can't get over the body size on this ram myself. I think his body makes his horns look small. The horns on skinned out skull look massive. I'm 6 foot and 205 and wearing 4 layers of clothes and he looks huge next to me.

Sandbrew

PS Sorry about the blood and rifle in the 2nd photo it's the best left side shot I have and we hadn't cleaned him up yet.

Sandbrew

25-Nov-08
Great pics! Love that dark chocolate color. Congrats!

25-Nov-08
Awesome ram! Congratulations. You hunted hard and deserve your success.

25-Nov-08
Emperor,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but your big ram did not make it through the season. I was officially scored yesterday at 182 7/8.

Roger

25-Nov-08
Nice ram! Congrats!!

30-Nov-08
Very cool John!!! What a great ram, you waited and got what you had been working for. I suspect that your wife and kids might actually be happier than you are. Nhaaaaa!! Congrats! Mike

02-Dec-08
Congrats!! I dont' know a good ram from any ram, but he looks like an awesome trophy to me. Congrats again!

21-Jan-09
Day 61 I have an official B&C score.

Anyone care to guess. I'll throw in a 6-pack of my favorite brew to the correct score guesser.

List Gross and Net so we can break any ties.

Sandbrew

21-Jan-09
181 6/8 Net

22-Jan-09
184-7/8 Gross 184 Net

22-Jan-09
gr,183 5/8----------net, 183 4/8 looks perfect to me. bill v

22-Jan-09
168 15/16

22-Jan-09
Gross = HUGE !! Net = HUGE !!

22-Jan-09
181 6/8 gross 180 4/8 net

22-Jan-09
A little bigger than some, a little smaller than others...

Sandbrew won't let me play... He barred me from the contest after he told me the actual score on the phone last night.

22-Jan-09
183 6/8 gross, 182 5/8 net

22-Jan-09
Vic is also out!

Nobody nailed it yet

I will post the final score Fri 10 AM MST.

Sandbrew

22-Jan-09
No matter what it scores,congrats on an absolutely gorgeous beefcake of a ram! What a brute!

22-Jan-09
Forgot the Gross 182 3/8

23-Jan-09
178 7/8

23-Jan-09
Gross 181-5/8 Net 181-0/8

23-Jan-09
Vic, 168?

I'll say 185 gross, 180 net.

23-Jan-09
The final score is 182 0/8 gross and 181 2/8 net.

Here are the numbers

Rt side 37 2/8 x 15 4/8 14 6/8 (chipped) 13 7/8 10 0/8 Lt side 36 2/8 x 15 4/8 15 0/8 14 1/8 9 6/8

He lost 2/8 on the big chip on the right and 2/8 on the third ¼

Looks like the winner is Bighorn191 2/8 off on the net guess.

Ermine was only off 2/8 on the net but missed the gross by 7/8

Sandbrew

23-Jan-09
wow thats great im waiting to get my ram scored killed him nov 14,08

26-Jan-09
Thrasher, I was kidding, I had insider info on the real score.

• Sitka Gear