BB 02-Oct-08
BB 02-Oct-08
Bullshooter 02-Oct-08
Traveler 06-Oct-08
CurveBow 09-Oct-08
29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
My son Cody and I just returned from about a week with the antelope of Wyoming. This will be a photo essay and a short story of our hunt and its happenings and a few of the sights we saw.

It was spent at about the 7,500 foot level of the sagebrush flats and hills of western Wyoming, not more than 50 miles from where I was born and raised. It is always a treat for me to return to and spend time in Wyoming.

A good friend of mine, who knew and understood how much I love Wyoming, once gave me a belt buck that read--" WYOMING IS, WHAT AMERICA WAS! And still to this day, in places similar to where we hunted, that saying is true.

I've taken my son bowhunting with me since he was just a pup kid. It's been a great journey for both of us, and this was just another great chapter. It held all the anticipation, excitement, and disappointments to which we have become accustomed.

I'll start it with a photo from our very first antelope hunt, sometime in the mid eighties.

Please save any and all questions until I finished this episode, and then I will be happy to answer them.

I hope some of you find this enjoyable and realize the great importance of taking you're kids hunting with you while they are very young, as both Cody and I can tell you, the time passes oh too fast.

I hope you all have as great of bowhunt as we had. BB

29-Sep-08
BB, Hope you are well. Waiting for the next installment.

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
If you will look over the top of Cody’s and my head, in the last photo, you will see in the far distant, the flat in which we spent much of our time.

As many of you know, I like to waterhole antelope from a blind. It allows a close encounter, with a sharp eyed critter and allows me to do one of my very great loves, photography. The photo with this post is the ground blind where I spent much of my time this year hunting antelope.

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
We left early in morning and headed for antelope country. It is only about a 3-3-1/2 hour drive depending upon which blind we hunt. We had hoped to hunt one of three blinds we had set in the north part of the unit, but rain this year had ruined our early hopes of that. Through necessity, we placed a blind at the south end of the unit at a small waterhole. It knew it was not nearly as good as those on the north end of the unit, but at least a few antelope were watering there, as they had less water at that end the unit------but with that came less critters!

We drove to the north end and found out immediately that hopes and dreams of hunting that area would not happen during the balance of this year, as there was water everywhere and the antelope were spread thin, wide and far. So with a loss of almost half a day, we headed for the blind we call Thistle.

It knew going in now that it was going to be a tough hunt with few antelope, but hopefully the rut would help us. Time would tell.

We nicked named the blind after the abundant thistle that surrounds it. I took the photo with this post from the blind during this last hunt. It's some kind of moth doing its thing.

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
We saw bucks everyday, but for what we are used to when antelope hunting, things were slow and bucks were on the small size. We saw very few does and that concerned us a lot.

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
It really concerned Cody a lot as he doesn't photograph as much as I do. I tried to always take advantage of the moments after the long hours of waiting. I got some pretty cool shots of this buck.

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
The bucks were rutting and what few came by did put on a show for us as they chased, rubbed, called and scraped.

We saw this guy on more than one occasion, and he seemed to always be monogamous.

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's a buck rubbing his horns in the grass. That happened many times in front of the blind.

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
They gave use many different shots:-)

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
After hours of long waiting it was nice to see a decent buck heading our way.

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
As we sat, watched, and waited we both began to realize our hopes of getting a great buck was not very likely. There were so few antelope coming in, and most were small bucks without any does. We figured most were just wondering bucks looking for an opportunity, and there just weren't many ladies around the area of our blind.

Most of the bucks we were seeing were small in size and horn.

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I saw eagles and hawks daily, but I was usually way too slow getting the camera to get any good shots. I did miss out on several good opportunties at a few hawks that came low by the blind.

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's a buck about the size of the first buck that Cody watched me shoot. He had no interest in it now, aa he WAS about 31 years older. But it was those early experiences that had kept his antelope interest all these years. He loves it. He especially loves to watch the buck’s rut. It is a spectacle beyond belief and if you have never witnessed it, be advised you are missing out on one of natures great shows.

29-Sep-08
it is a sphinx moth :) just in case you wanted to know. we used to catch them as kids beautiful little things.

29-Sep-08
I know all of you know my dad by BB and by his photo’s; I have to put up with him every day!!! He is not near as amazing as you might think!!! Just kidding!!! I just wanted to take a quick moment and thank him! Of all the things he has done for me in my 26 years of life I am most thankful for the time and effort he has spent with me in the outdoors. He started taking me hunting with him when I was a pup kid and has taught me so much about bow hunting and life while on these hunting trips. He has taught me to see the big picture in life. He has taught me to enjoy the hunt more then the kill. He has taught me to be thankful for the chance and time I get to spend in God's greatest creation. I’m getting old enough now to really appreciate what he has done for me. And because of what he has done I will do the same with my kids! I can't wait! This hunt was one of my favorites simply because I got to spend a week with my biggest hero!!! The older I get the more I appreciate my dad and what he does for a golf bum! I love you dad and thank you so much for taking the time to include me in on your passion!!! You’re a great hunting partner, photographer, and a much better dad!!!

I love you!

Cody Allard

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Like the old saying goes---"When your toes to toes---

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

29-Sep-08
BB, Man this has got to be the tops of your threads. What a tribute from Cody, your son. There's not a 'lope in Wy that could please you near as much as what the Golf Bum had to say about you and your relationship with him. Congratulations on such a great son. His thread sheads light on what we so often overlook in our passion to succeed in harvesting animals. My hats off to you and Cody. Thanks again for sharing. Have a great bowhunt! DD

PS I hope some bowhunting magazine will take the oppertunity to print Cody's tribute to his dad.

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Hi Dave, how did your antelope hunt go in Colorado?

It's best all you guys know my son couldn't beat me in golf, but knew what a carpy hunter I was, so he took up bowhunting so he could whip me in something!

Thanks Cody, you were always my shadow as a young kid and now I hope I can be yours. I can not imagine many fathers and sons have a better relationship than do we. I will always be there when you need me, except when you get your moose down. Then you are to call Jeff!

I love and respect you too, and this past week was a pleasure beyond words, watching you, listening to you and learing from you. Thanks for being such a great son.-----Now go learn how to golf.

Now back to our adventure.

Cody and I would be in the blind long before light. Early one morning, before I could barley see the critters on the bank, I saw this reflection in the water, so grabbed my camera and shot this photo.

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Soon I saw this reflection!

29-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
He drank, rasied his head, and left before shooting light.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Not long after the eastern horizon had lightened, Cody saw what he thought was a doe antelope in the far horizon, but his binos indicated it was instead a coyote on an early morning hunt.

Soon he picked out two more coyotes and we watched the trio work the far ridge before disappearing in a silhouetting manner, just as the sun began to rise.

About mid morning Cody noticed another coyote making its way off the distant ridge. We both watched as it hunted toward us. It would disappear in the tall brush then reappear as it got closer and closer.

We both felt it was coming to water and so Cody got an arrow nocked, as I started to snap a few photos. But after closing the distance to about 30 yards, we could see the dog was going to skirt us as he hunted his way west. Cody gave him plenty of time to change his mind and come in but when it was apparent he was just going to bypass us, he pulled, aimed and sent an arrow on its way. The arrow flew perfect, in a great line, but right over its back. I watched it hit and take a long bounce and the coyote put it in gear and was gone.

Here are the photos of the coyote I took that morning.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
By now we both had spent enough time in the blind to realize, our hopes of getting a big, rutting buck was very unlikely at this waterhole. There were times when I went and dogged for Cody, trying to push a few different antelope into the area with the hopes they would water, and there were times when Cody would do the same for me.

The day we arrived, we had driven farther south to a place we had hoped to place a double bull blind, but there were other hunters there sitting in pop up blinds so we had both been spending most of our time together in our blind.

Cody had noticed a very nice heart shaped buck he had spotted the day we arrived, not more than a mile from our waterhole and had his hopes pretty much set on that buck. He was heavy, high, had great prongs, and curled back over his head almost to the point of touching in the middle. But he never once had paid us a visit.

Here's a photo of that buck and some other antelope I saw as I hunted outside of the blind.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's another photo of that buck showing how close his horns came to touching.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's another buck I got close to while out of the blind. He had pretty good prongs, but not much height above them.

30-Sep-08
Time was passing fast, and Cody had to be back at work on Monday, and things weren't looking that great. By now we both had realized we weren't in the best spot. The rut was really kicking in, but we were in an area with very few doe antleope. We both realized the big boys would be with the pretty ladies at this time of year, and we weren't seeing many ladies.

On Friday morning I noticed movement on the distant hill above us. I picked up my glasses to see another coyote heading our way. As we watched, we both felt like this one was coming to water. Cody again got ready as I began to take a few photos.

There just so happened to be a crow not too far in front of us and the coyote noticed that, and the crow noticed the coyote.

Here's a photo of Mr. Wiley as he approached.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Sorry, here's the photo I failed to attach to my last post.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's a photo I took as he neared the crow.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
It seemed the crow knew he could fly and it seemed the coyote realized the same thing, and he continued his approach to the waterhole.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
By now Cody seemed to realize he was going to get a great chance at taking his very first coyote. We could tell he was indeed thristy and this one was coming. He was not skirting it like the previous one.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
I've been lucky enough to take a number of coyotes through the years, and I have a great amount of respect for then from the standpoint of being one sharp critter. I took one last photo and put my camera down as I didn't want to take any chance of spoiling this great opportunity which was unfolding right before our eyes.

He turned and headed in at about 25 yards. He definitely was coming and I was going to witness my son get his first coyote. He was ready and so was the wind, as it shifted and in a flash, the dog was gone, as was Cody's chance of getting that coyote.

But that's bowhunting and that's what makes bowhunting so great. Had he chosen to rifle hunt, that coyote would have never made it as far as it did, and thus he lived another day and succeeded at delaying one of Cody's life long goals, that of taking a coyote with his bow!

Keep hunting Cody and one day, when you least expect it, it will finally happen.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
It was now Friday and Cody's time was very limited, as he had to be back to work on Monday. Our good freind Jeff, and his wife Vicki, who needed a break from their two young kids, were coming out to join us and would be arrving early that afternoon. Jeff and I built and placed the blind that Cody and I were sitting, and Jeff took his very first antelope, on that exact day, but not from the blind.

Here's a photo of Jeff's very first antelope.

30-Sep-08
Once again BB well done. Antelope are one of my favorite creatures which makes this thread all the more enjoyable.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
After the coyote encounter, Cody got out of the blind and headed some 7-8 miles south to check and see if the guys with the popup blind were gone. He found out they were and later that day, once Jeff arrived, they ran over there and dug out an area and set up the double bull blind. They then did some decoying and stalking until the long evening shadows gave way to darkness.

Mean while back at the blind and not too long after Cody had departed, I looked up to see another coyote passing by. This one stayed a safe distance from the blind and disappeared into some high brush, never to be seen again.

Here's a photo I snapped of him just before he vanished.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
We were now down to our final two days. Jeff and Cody would go over to the pop up blind, while Jeff's wife Vicki and I would head to Thistle.

We bid each other ado’s and headed for our blinds. It was still very dark when we arrived.

It wasn't long after first light that a very nice buck walked right past the waterhole on the far side, without missing a step. In no time he was gone. It was the first time Vicki had been that close to a wild critter and she enjoyed it very much.

We sat and whispered about life and marriage and past times, as quite a bit of time passed. It was now very light, and I spotted an antelope heading our way. We watched as he got closer and closer. I began to photograph and Vicki watched in awe.

Here are a couple photos from that event. This photo was taken at 7:26 AM, so still very early and low light. But he put on a great show for us before watering.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08
The photos are amazing, I want to hunt antelope now more than ever, by the way, I would be proud of some of the ones you thought were small. Thanks for the photos. MWS.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
After putting on quite a show for Vicki and I the buck went chasing and waiting his time until he was the king.

Like in life itself, sometimes being blessed with a large rack, is nothing more than curse in disguise.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
At ll:12 the monogamist buck was heading our way. We got to watch him and his doe before Jeff finally came and picked up Vicki and headed to go tear down our other blinds and back fill them.

Jeff related that a very nice buck came in to Cody, but he had his eye on a much larger buck that was only 100 yards away, so he passed on that buck and waited for the bigger one who subsequently was scared by rifle road hunters.

I spent a very slow day at the blind, by myself. Our time was getting very short and our chances very slim.

Here's Ole Monogamist as he's heading our way.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
And his single doe!

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
They watered and left me to a very, long, slow day.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Mean while Jeff torn down Muddy Foot, another blind we had placed twice, but the rain ruined it both times before we could hunt it. He returned to find Cody had taken down the double bull blind about 3 pm, as nothing else had watered with the exception of cows.

So Cody, Jeff and Vicki would spot antelope and tried to decoy and or stalk them. Cody ended up getting a couple shots at the heart buck he wanted so much, but his first arrow undershot the buck and the second, which had perfect height, got there too late, as the buck decided to move just as he released.

Meanwhile back at Thistle, I had this little buck pay me a visit at 6:13 pm. Time was running out, as was our hopes of taking two great bucks during the rut.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
In the waning moments of evening, this small buck watered and ended that day at Thistle.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
The sun was going down for the last time on this hunt. It was now down to crunch time. I have been here many times and God willing, hopefully I will be there again. It's has grown to be a time of reflection, not of regret, like it had been so many years ago. How much better does it get than to spend time in such a wonderful place, with your son and good friends, and witness nature first hand, in a way most people will never experience? If one can't be thankful for that, one just isn't very thankful.

It was a great hunt, I got some fair photos, and I got to spend time with my son and some good friends. Three of the party of five had already filled their tags, so we had no regrets. In my heart I had wished Cody could have filled his tag, but everything we want in life is not always fulfilled. And when one chooses to hunt with a bow, during the rifle hunt, he has to be willing to accept the consequences. We already knew and accepted that going in!

I climbed out of the blind and headed back to camp.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
At camp I listened to and exchanged stories of the day. Cody asked if he could join me for one last shot in the blind. I was happy to say YES!

We devised a plan where Cody and I would go to blind early like we always do. Jeff would get up at daylight and dog the area around the blind trying to get antelope off the steep slope just west of us and hopefully up on the flat we were hunting. Perhaps then they might water there, rather than in the dry creek bed pot holes, left over by a recent storm.

Here’s a photo of that rim and some lopes I tried to get to Cody. It was unsuccessful that day.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
At 7:54 AM this little guy came in and watered. I whispered to Cody to take him if he wanted to be sure to fill his tag, as we only had a few hours left. He declined and so we watched him water and leave.

30-Sep-08
very cool BB. SWH

30-Sep-08
Not long after the above buck watered, I looked out to see a huge bunch of dust. It was created by a buck chasing and smaller buck. If an antelope can run 55 miles an hour, then I swear on the bible, they were doing 56. If top speed is 60, they had to be doing 61.

The lead buck was weaving and swerving, trying to get away, and the bigger buck was right on his tail. We watched the dust storm and the antelope head east a far distance, until finally the bigger buck pulled off and headed back our way. He was heading right for the water hole, but just at the last moment trotted by, mouth open, tongue hanging out, and saliva dripping.

Just before that happened, when he was still heading towards us Cody told me he would shoot that buck if it gave him a chance. It didn’t. I didn’t take any photos as I didn’t want to screw anything up at this late in the game.

Quite sometime had passed and we had not seen another antelope. We were talking about how great our hunt had been and all that we learned and much of what we needed to do next time. Although it was still late morning, the sun was starting to set on this years antelope hunt, as we needed to think about letting Jeff and Vicki get back to their kids and us getting home to the matters that awaited.

I wished I had a photo to put with this post, but none seemed right.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
But like lighting coming from a clear sky, a decent buck and three does appeared. They were coming from our left and looked to be heading for a drink. Could this really be happening at this very last moment? Cody asked if I wanted the buck, and I told him I wanted him to shoot it if it gave him a good chance.

He had three very nervous does. They wanted to water, but they were wired. They were as wired as any antelope we had seen. They would approach within 30 yards, and then turn and move away. They continued this for a very long time and it seemed like they got more nervous with every attempt.

I kept range finding the buck, but he was still 50 yards away and with his does being so nervous we never even considered a shot.. Finally as time past, I picked up my very quite camera. (Panasonic FZ-50) and shot a few photos of the buck. He was high but lacked on the prongs. He was heavy in a very different way. His horns were more fat like your wrist than wide like you hand laid flat. It was noticeable that he had broomed his prongs.

It was now 10:36 am. Here's how he looked to us at that time.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's another.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
And one more.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
We had pretty much figured by now, the does were just to nervous to water, so I put the camera down and picked up the range finder. I kept giving Cody an up date on distance as the buck moved around. He was as close as 25 yards and in the next instance he was out to 70 plus yards. The does would try to leave as they did not like the situation, but each time he herded them back.

Cody kept saying they are not going to water. It was not only a nervous time for the antelope, buck excluded, but for us too. Then finally one of the does, very sheepishly approached the water. Soon all the does were drinking and the buck walked in and started to drink too.

Here's another of his rutting rituals just prior to me putting the camera down during this very tense time.

30-Sep-08
Antelope generally put their heads down and drink for 15 to 20 seconds and then raise their heads. He was just across the pond, almost straight on, but quartering every so slightly. At about 15 seconds, Cody drew his bow. I could see him settle in to where he wanted to hit when the buck raised its head. It was now within seconds of realizing some return for all the work, hours and time we had spent.

But wait one moment. Things in bowhunting don't always go as expected. The buck did not raise his head, but continued to water for what seemed like an eternity. Cody shoots almost 80 lbs. and I could see it was starting to take its toll. I very softly whispered to him and ask if he wanted me do the-tat-tat-tat-tat that would get the buck to raise his head, but he did not answer, so I remained quite. Finally, the buck no more than raised his head when Cody’s arrow hit home. The buck whirled and even with these old eyes, I could see the blood spraying from the neck of the buck.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
The next few seconds of this bucks life was truly incredible.

The does took off to the east and when they tried to head south, he gained on them and headed them back east. At about 175-200 yards, he started to falter, but when he saw his does heading back south, he put on the after burners, caught up with then and herded them back east. It was not until the does climbed the steep hill that he finally gave up and went down. He rutted to the very end and never gave up until the moment life left his body.

I shook Cody’s hand on a job well done. He had given himself every chance at getting a great buck, and although that didn’t happen, we both realized, after what happened in those last seconds, he indeed DID kill a GREAT buck.

The photo with this post is not pretty, but there is a reason I post it. It just gives you a little idea of what we had to work with.

As many of you know I have learned by the school of hard knocks, the importance of trying to take good photos, as they last a lifetime.

After the chase we had watched earlier that morning, from this very same buck, and after witnessing his death run and the working of his instincts, he deserves to be remembered in a much better way. Hopefully, with a little work, we were able to accomplish that.

30-Sep-08
In the last post I purposely cut off Cody's head and had Jeff's legs in the photo. I have several others you can see in which are much bloodier and have the tongue hanging out and some packs too. But I hope I have made my point. At some time, I will use these photos, to try to help teach what can be done, with bloddy critters, with the least amount of work.

We owe that to the critter we are trying to remember and to those who view them. Don’t get me wrong, as a bit of blood can be okay in a photo, but one like this is best left un-photographed, unless you are willing to clean them up first.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
The following photos are NOT photoshopped with the exception of sizing, cropping and some color enhancement. ALL the blood and clean up work on this antelope was done BEFORE we started taking photos, with the exception of the few I took for the purposes mentioned above.

Here's how it can look if you take a few minutes before photos to clean it up.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
We took a few photos with the hunter orange hat as orange is reqired by law when hunting during rifle season, even if you are using a bow. On the other photos we will get serious and do the best we can when we get to the camo shots.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Those last shots were from my Panasonic FZ-50. The next ones will be from my Olympus E-3. It's a much larger, more expensive camera and is a digital slr.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Take enough photos, in differnt ways so you are sure you end up with a few good ones. I really haven't gone through these and got the best ones. I am just showing a few and how to change things up a bit.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08
"At about 15 seconds, Cody drew his bow. I could see him settle in to where he wanted to hit when the buck raised its head."

I couldn't understand why it was so important for the buck to raise his head. I do now! That's a nice buck by my standards. Congrats to Cody.

I am completely amazed at how well you were able to clean that buck up for the photos! I never imagined that one could do that in the field. It is a wonderful example of your respect for the animal. Thanks for taking us along for the ride! In addition to being a wonderful photographer, you are an awesome storyteller and an inspiration to us all. I can only hope that I will get to be as much a part of my son's life as you are of your son's life. My hat is off to you both!

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
At some point after I go through all the photos, I might post a few more of the better ones. But at this point that should be enough. Here's a group photo with the people who were there.

I'm now going to take a break and you can feel free to ask any questions you might have.

I want to congratulate Cody on holding out to the last minute and a big thanks to Jeff and his wife Vicki. Jeff built most of the blind we used and did most of the work in getting it installed. Vicki on the other hand took care of two small kids and allowed Jeff to chase his dreams. For those of us who have raised kids, we understand Vicki contributed more than the rest of put together.

Thanks to all of them. The whole ordeal, from putting in the blinds to the very last day was a great experience and one I will remember forever.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

30-Sep-08
Congratulations Cody and Bill! You 2 are quite the bowhunting team! There is nothing better than a good quality family hunt! That is how we do it too! I loved the photo's and the way you guide us along your hunt! Very nice job cleaning up that buck too! Good luck on the WF hunt too!

Chad

30-Sep-08
Bill- What do you think that buck scores. Just for the heck of it. Antelope are hard to judge for me.

30-Sep-08
Justin, I am not sure what his buck will score. It was just over 14 inches tall and lacked on the prongs, but its mass measurements, because it is round, rather than flat like most antelope, really surprised us, so it will end up in the low 70's i would suspect.

Now on with the rest of the hunt!

That morning Cody had taken our sharpening stone to the blind, as he wanted to sharpen a few snuffers that were in his quiver. It so happened that when he got his antelope the decision was made to take it back to camp and work it over to give me a few more minutes of hunting before we had to return home. Not long after they left I noticed the sharpening steel was still in the blind. I climbed out of the blind and tried to call but got no service, so I got back in the blind.

It wasn’t long before I could see antelope coming in the far distance. My glasses revealed three does and what looked like a fair buck. Off the hill they came and to my surprise, once they hit the blood trial of Cody’s buck, they headed right for where he expired. I had witnessed this on elk before, but to see antelope who rarely use their nose when compared to their eyes, it came as quite a shock.

Here’s a photo I took of the antelope smelling and investigating Cody bucks death bed. In red I have drawn the approximate death run of Cody's antelope.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Sorry for omitting the photo. Here it is. Do any of you find this as interesting as I do?

Are these three does the does of Codh's buck?

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's one more I took as the buck left the death bed and headed back for his does.

At this same time I glassed the buck and decided this late in the game, that I would take this buck if he gave me a good shot. It was at that time I pulled my first arrow, screwed the snuffer off, got the steel Cody left, and sharpened that broadhead as best I know how. It was already sharp, so it only took a few strokes to make it super sharp. That's another thing I love about snuffers.

I screwed it back on the arrow, quivered the arrow, set my bow down and picked up my camera. Here's one of last photos I took as they approached the waterhole.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
And here's the last photo I took before I set my camera down and picked up my bow and nocked an arrow.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
The does watered straight across from me and buck to their right, my left. He was only about 2 yards from where less than 2 hours ago, Cody's buck watered.

I intended to let the buck water for about 15 seconds, much like Cody did, but once I pulled my bow, I was going to do the -tat-tat-tat-trick, but being the klutz I am, I hit the top of the blind when I pulled my bow and the buck instantly raised his head and looked right at me. By that time it was too late.

The snuffer entered his neck and exited in his opposite arm pit, it had past right over the top of his heart. His death run was perhaps 2 to 3 seconds in time and perhaps 40 yards in length. He reared up and fell over backwards dead.

As I have always told everyone I hunt with, and especially those that get down when things don’t go right, -----it all can turn on a dime! It certainly did last Sunday for Cody and me.

We didn’t get the bucks that we had hoped for, but we had about as fun of time as anyone could ever have on a hunt.

I will post some more pictures later, as my wife needs the computer and the dogs need thieir nightly walk.

If you think Cody’s buck was bloody, wait till you see mine and what we were able to do with it in just a few minutes.

Here's the next photo I took before exiting the blind and calling the troops and telling them I had just killed a buck.

I hope you enjoyed this just 1 percent of what we did and if that be the case, my time posting this was well spent.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's the final photo I took before exiting the blind and calling in the troops.

30-Sep-08
Thanks, outstanding photos and story!!!!!!!

30-Sep-08
Outstanding Bill! Congrats to you and Cody, and not just on the goats. What a great tribute by Cody. I have known Bill and Cody for quite some time, and the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. They are class acts and I feel priveleged to know them both. Congrats again on the hunt.

30-Sep-08
Very nice Bill, What a perfect end to a great story!

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Okay, these next photos are pretty graphic, but done for a good reason. It shows we didn't have much to start with, but I hope those tuning in can see what can be done if one thinks a little and takes a few minutes before beginning to photograph.

Photoshop and similar programs are wonderful for certain things, but be advised they can not do in hours or quality, what can done in the field in just a few minutes, with a little water, paper towels, a pair of shorts, or a t-shirt.

Once you have the animal cleaned-up, you have every single photo cleaned up. With Photoshop and the like, you have to do every single photo if you fail to do it in the field.

As far as getting photos with my buck, I got dealt a pretty bad hand. That's the down side of snuffers. They are a quick kill’s best friend, but a photographer’s worst enemy.

Here’s the hand I was dealt and you will see what we did with it, and I will explain how we did it. And keep in mind, an antelope is one of the hardest critters to clean up when bloody!

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Here's yet another.

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
To say the least, it was big mess.

First we got some water----the more the better, but if you don't have a lot, then just be wise with its use. We had the waterhole near by so that part was made easy. We also had an old T shirt and some paper towels.

I cut up some pieces of the T shirt and after pouring water into the mouth and nose to get the excess blood off it, I stuck a cloth pack up both nostrils and a big one in the mouth. You do this so blood does not continue to run out as you move the animal for different poses. You then pour more water and clean off the blood and towel dry as much as possible with either paper towels or some cloth. It is amazing how well this works and how little time it takes. To be totally honest with you I could have cleaned up my antelope in far less time than I could have just Photo shopped the blood off its mouth.

We are now ready to take some photos.

Here’s the first photo that Jeff took of me and my buck. Isn’t it amazing what can be done with very little effort and in a short period of time?

Here's the same critter with about 10 minutes of cleaning. What do you think? Was it worth the time it took? You be the judge next time this happens to you!

30-Sep-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo

30-Sep-08
Awesome Bill! Congrats to you both and thanks for taking us along:)

Matt

01-Oct-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
And here's one final one with my son Cody. I will look through the photos as I get time and post a few of the better ones. These were just taken pretty much at random. I am sure there will be better ones than I posted, but it still illustrates the point I am trying to make.

Remember it is not a matter of time, but one of personal pride and respect towards the critter and those that will be viewing it. If you care enough to want a good photo, its pretty simple. If you lack interest in that aspect, then just your work will clearly illustrate that!

Again, it was a great time and will be a lifelong memory.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

01-Oct-08
Excellant BB! I for one want to thank you for the time you took in sharing your experiences with us. I know that the tips you've given on several threads have made a difference for me and the quality of pictures I've been able to take. Thank you, Gerald

01-Oct-08
Awsome photos and awesome stories as usual BB. It makes me hope I can instill the love of hunting I have into my now 18 month old so I can enjoy some of the same things you and Cody have!

Thanks for the stories, photos and lessons!

Elmer

01-Oct-08
Nice. Nice buck. That is one problem with the Snuffers is that they cause massive damage. But tht is not really a problem. ha

01-Oct-08
You sure that was a snuffer and not a chain saw? Good grief!

You've made your point well- the animal looks pristine in the last two photos.

My son is now 14 and bowhunts with me as much as he can with school and everything. He took a deer last year with me right behind him, and he was with me this year as I shot a little buck- hard to beat those experiences- it's nice to look at your threads like this and see what the future may hold for us (not that I'll ever learn to hunt as well as you guys). Besides the 14 year old, I have a young daughter and a toddler son- both aching to get out in the field- I hope I'm in for as good of a ride as you've experienced. Congratulations.

01-Oct-08
Great story!!

Thanks for sharing!!

01-Oct-08
Bill, Assume posting and tips, Thanks for your time and effort.

01-Oct-08
Bill,

I forgot to mention a few things!

#1, that picture of you and Cody to start the thread is priceless! You should write a book with all your incredible photo's and have that be the cover photo.

#2, I love that picture with the thistle and the bug. One of my favorites for sure!

And finally #3, you guy's "settled" on some pretty nice goats! I hope you are proud! Thanks again for sharing!

Chad

01-Oct-08
Chad, thanks for the kind words.

The reason I posted that photo was in the hope that a few bowhunter’s would realize its far more important to be with your young kids and showing them the outdoors, than it is to be taking a trophy.

Cody had just turned either four or five years old when that photo was taken. That little trooper sat almost a week with me in an open topped, dirt blind, from daylight till dark. In those days I was just trying to figure out the blind thing and I did a mighty poor job. We saw lots of bucks in the first few days but because of the poor blind I built, I could not get a shot without the bucks seeing me.

Finally the waterhole went dried-up and I had to go to the area of the picture and one night he sat there, tired as heck, until I finished the blind late in the night.

Early the next morning the buck above came off the hill above us, and headed for the water. Cody looked up and saw it and told me that a nice buck was coming. I told him it really wasn't that nice. His answer to that statement was something like this.

"Well Dad, I think he's nice and I would like you to shoot him, but it's your decision!"

When he said that, I looked at a pup kid who had spent the best part of 7 days in a blind and never once cried or complained, and who I knew missed his Mom and was ready to go home and so I said to him, "Cody, if that buck comes in and gives me a shoot, then I will shoot him.

It's very important for parents to realize you have to give up some things to take kids out hunting when they are small, but the rewards are 10 fold.

That photo was taken over 20 years ago. It seems impossible to me that many years have passed so quickly. Both Cody and I realize it’s a fast moving train, and you will get ONE shot at making it right and I hope some of you realize this and take your kids with you while they are still very young. You will pay a very small price, for a great reward!

Have a great bowhunt. BB

01-Oct-08
Sam, I had two cameras with me. I had a Panasonic FZ-50 and an Olympus E-3.

Here' a little break down on the two.

The Panasonic is much smaller, lighter, quieter and far less expensive. It takes very nice photos for the price.

The Olympus is a professionals model that takes just great photos, but at a big price. It's heavy, noisy, and the dust is a killer on it when you have to change lenses.

For most people wanting to get into this, I would suggest the Panasonic FZ-28. They are way easier to use and most will have far less problems.

Photography is a hobby to me that has come in just the past 5 or 6 years. I love taking wildlife photos. It means about as much to me now as does my bowhunting. Together they make about as good of sandwich as is possible.

I will be glad to help anyone who has a similar interest.

For most of the time I have bow hunted, I have been driven by my lust to kill. That is a necessary and important element if one wants to be a decent bowhunter. But in the last 10 years I feel myself changing. The kill, although important to me, is not paramount as it once was. The past 4 or 5 years, I required myself to first take a live photo of a critter, before I arrow him. It’s a huge challenge, much like putting down a gun and going only with a bow. But its been the most enjoyable part of my bowhunting experience, and I have been bowhunting for almost 50 years.

Well I am going to run up on the Wasatch Front for an afternoon's deer and elk hunt.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

01-Oct-08
Bill just awesome again!!! Wonderful photos, great story and super post from your son!!! Every time I think you posted the best thread ever you do another one just as good or better. Great tips and photos about cleaning up a critter before taking pictures. I hope that you have convinced many more hunters to take more care with their animals BEFORE taking the pictures. You know I still have the exact same number of preference points for elk in Colorado as you and Cody. I know you have many future hunts and obligations but if it happens to coincide that we draw the same Unit at the same time it would be a great pleasure to get to meet you and Cody in person. Dan

01-Oct-08
Bill, I was so caught up in the events, the chapter could have ended without a kill and it would have still been an awesome adventure. Congratulations to you and Cody on two great bucks and thanks so much for sharing. My words are inadequate. Thanks so much! DD

02-Oct-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Thanks Dan and Dave. That is kind of you both.

Dan I really thought I would draw my Bookcliffs deer tag this past year, but I didn't. I should be a lock for that next year. I also need to use my Colorado elk points before I get too old to hunt them. And then there's my Colorado deer and antelope too. And lets not forget I have max points in deer and elk in Wyoming and could draw a Utah goat permit before too many years. So I have some hard decisions ahead of me, but what you said would be fun if it could work out.

This isn't the best photo, as I just did it to show others what can be done. I know lots of guys like photos like this and thus I did it just to show how easy and simple it is in hopes a few will get the message.

Have a great bowhunt. BB

P. S. Notice I didn't do a very good job of getting the grass away from the bucks mouth. When doing this one needs to pay very CLOSE attetion to the DETAILS!

02-Oct-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
Now for a little bowhunter education.

Many years ago, when Cody was still a pup kid, but getting close to the age he could hunt, I enrolled both of us in a bowhunter education class, taught by a guy named Fred Pola. Fred was is a tireless worker and did as much for bowhunter education in the state of Utah, as has anybody. Thanks Fred for all your efforts.

I had bow hunted for many years and the main reason I took the class was for Cody. I felt it best for him, so I just went along for the ride. Little did I know the revelation that laid in store for us. I, like many of you, had been taught to shoot a critter just behind the front leg.

That class, taught by Mr Pola really opened my eyes on how and where to shoot a critter. Besides the snuffer, it has done more for my bowhunting success than any other thing. Thanks Fred you helped me, and Cody, and consequently many other bow hunters, by opening our eyes to the true knowledge of how a critter is put together.

Since taking that class, so many years ago, both Cody and I have been able to watch, a good percentage of the critters we shoot, go down in sight. And I owe all that to Fred, for opening our eyes to the truth and not the myth of "shoot behind the shoulder" .

So with that background I post the picture above, for those tuned into this thread. This is not an artist's rendition, but the exact antelope I shot and the vitals that are overlaid upon his photo are the exact vitals that were breathing and sustaining his life, when he stood for this very photo.

After I killed my buck, Jeff, Cody and I took the time, as we were boning him out, to take these photographs for this very purpose. I left everything attached, just like God put it together, to make sure everything was in its proper place. We just cut along the leg bones and cut back the ribs so those of you, who don't understand, can see why I advocate shooting straight up the front leg, on a broadside shot like this.

Look it over very close and feel free to ask any questions. Once you really understand, I think you too will move your aiming point farther forward, as both Cody and I did after Fred's class.

Thanks Mr. Pola!

Have a great bowhunt. BB

02-Oct-08

02-Oct-08

BB's embedded Photo
BB's embedded Photo
On this photo I have drawn a black line down in the area in which "many" refer to it as the crease. I have also outlined the vital area in front of the crease and that in back of the crease. Not only is the vital area in front of the crease larger, it is far more deadly in the terms of minutes or seconds it takes a critter to die.

Again thanks Mr Pola for that information. I will always be indebted to you from what I learned from your class and promise to always try to enlighten those that will listen.

Have a great bowhunt BB

02-Oct-08
BB,

Great story and photos, thank you for sharing. Very generous of you to take the time to teach others your tips on sharpening BH's, etc.

Here's hoping that the good you do comes back to you.

BS'er

06-Oct-08
Outstanding!

Great info, pics as usual and most important great parenting advice.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

Dan

09-Oct-08

CurveBow's embedded Photo
CurveBow's embedded Photo
BB - congratulations on a great hunt and thank you for sharing it with us. Many folks don't see the value of using a camera and don't get the shots they should. I suffer with carrying my Nikon D-200 around these days as I did my Nikon D-70S before that, my Nikon N-80 before that and then a Fuji point & shoot before that one even. You are right, the photos can last a lifetime!

This photo is my 24 year old son's first bull on his first time elk hunt and first time to the West. We had a great time! We were short on water and did clean the bull up as best we could with what we had......

Thanks again for sharing....

>>>>>------------------->

• Sitka Gear