ToddT 27-Dec-08
white devil 27-Dec-08
elkmoaway 27-Dec-08
GREYBEARD 30-Dec-08
glacier 30-Dec-08
elkmoaway 08-Feb-10
INbowdude 09-Feb-10
26-Dec-08
I found a few mounts with hair missing in a couple spots and found a dead beetle. Anyone ever have this and what did you use to kill them. I googled and found a product called Endalsect that claims to work, but its a flea product for pets.

thanks

elkmo

26-Dec-08
Dermisted beetles? If that is so that may be a big problem. Those suckers eat everything.

26-Dec-08
eek!!!!

26-Dec-08
Pat L. uses a service that comes right to his house I believe. He comment on a thread about how devastating the beetles can be so he treats his mounts periodically. Maybe he will tune in from Kansas. Do a search for the thread. It was about a 6 months ago.

26-Dec-08

Treefarm's Link
Here is the link to the thread I mentioned.

26-Dec-08
freeze them they won't go dorment they die.

26-Dec-08
""KILL THEM"" and do it FAST! They'll eat and hatch new ones and they'll eat everything in your house that's flesh and/or hair and feathers and even into Horn (like in sheep and goats) not antler. But even skins and hooves.......I just use NON-Petroleum Based home insecticides!....but that's just me and YES we have had some damage till then.

27-Dec-08
I had a problem once and used good old raid..it killed them and didnt hurt the mount

27-Dec-08
Does anyone know the garden store product called "7" will kill them?

27-Dec-08
Thanks for starting a panic Herm!! Reminds me of the time Godzilla invaded Tokyo:)

27-Dec-08
I will try the DIY approach, evaluate, and then try a professional. Thanks for the article Pat, very helpful. It looks like there are multiple critters we need to watch for not just the beetles.

I probably got them from the turkey fans I have been making for buddies to use with their B-Mobile decoys. I have them curing in the basement work room.

Thanks

Elkmo

27-Dec-08
The product is called Sevin. It is a stomach poison and I believe it would have to be ingested to work. Probably not a good choice.

27-Dec-08
even those little flying 'moths'...I call them 'corn bugs'...but I don't know really what they are....can eat on a mounts hair and hide. We kill a few in the fall when we see them flying around in and around our mounts.....they hatch every year "out of something we have"....but I don't know what it is.....so I spray all the mounts again at that time they show up. Only 3 or 4 every fall now we see....but I don't like them!

The Lawn & Garden Dept. in most stores sell a 'clear liquid bug spray' for the home. But like I said....make sure it's NON-Petroleum Based (oil)...you DON'T want that!!

Wear a MASK when your spraying your mounts and 'stuff' and keep your pets and kids away for awhile during and after spraying that area! I spray mine at NIGHT when they are all beddy-bye....lol

Even with a 'mask on' this stuff can get to you....hack and cough and gag.....can't be good for a human....but oh well. The mounts appreciate it though!

Birds like a turkey etc. are the most likely to get hit first...quils and feathers and softer tissue. But I have had "HORNS" (not antler) back in the 1990's with tiny holes ate in them also....It is scarry to think your mounts are going to be bald and holey.....

"chip"...it is scarry! We didn't build our den for 'us'....we built it for our mounts. If we had No Mounts....we wouldn't need a den....lol....or the Taxes on it every year too....and insurance....wow, why did we ever mount anything?...it costs too much at the start and thru the years after to build and have a den and trophies....and we hardly ever go up there....unless we have company that wants to see it or staying the night.....they sleep with the dead animals then!... (*;

27-Dec-08
Has anyone tried to put them in a closet or an enclosed small room and used the "bug bombs" on them???

Those bombs kill most everything from what I've seen. I have a couple hides that are showing signs and was thinking of trying that.

27-Dec-08
I would recommend separating the infected mount from the rest. Then get a bottle of protex mount care from most any taxidermy supplier and follow directions while treating all other mounts as well as the one that has been hit - you may save it before damage is too extensive. The services suggested work really great, but are rather spendy. I am comfortable with the sufficiency of protex mount care.

27-Dec-08
I had those moths. They destroyed one of my sheep mounts I used a bomb in the house that killed them and other bugs.

27-Dec-08
I came across this for cleaning mounts if anyones interested. www.seybrite.com

elkmo

30-Dec-08
I had them in my mounts and I was told to freeze them then thaw them out then re-freeze them. I then used the protex mount care and have had no trouble since. I still spray them once a year for protection with the protex. It's been 6 years with no problems.

30-Dec-08
The bug bombs probably wouldn't work very well. they have to get to the bugs to kill them, and the dermestid beetles are likely burrowed in and not getting a lot of air circulation to be poisoned by a "Bug Bomb".

08-Feb-10
I have plenty of the seybrite left if someone wants to try it, its more of a trophy cleaning product vs the bug killer. I was able to put a pesticide on them and then combed them and vaccumed out the beetles.

Mine were not extremely dirty like a old bar mount for fifty years. I have both the cleaner and the sheen product, its granular and mixed with water to make the solution, enough to do a handful of mounts. I have it listed under the classifieds..

elkmo

09-Feb-10
GODZILLA!!!! Thanks Chip, that was great!

• Sitka Gear