Hunter 18-Aug-10
llamapacker 18-Aug-10
Hunter 18-Aug-10
muley madness 18-Aug-10
Cowboy in Colorado 19-Aug-10
DrewB 04-Apr-21
Cheesehead Mike 06-Apr-21
16-Aug-10
What is the distance in inches on an average size bull from the top of the back to the bottom of the chest directly over the kill zone?

16-Aug-10

yrovikle's Link
check this out, very useful information

16-Aug-10
Thanks Yrovikle. very helpful.

18-Aug-10
I too have an interest in this measurement. The graphical aid doesn't make sense to me though. It shows the body (brisket to shoulder) as between 36" to 40". Below that, it shows the shoulder to ground as 48" to 58". I know there's more than 12" of leg below the body. It seems to me the measurements are more like 30" to 38" (body) and 48' to 58" (shoulder to ground). That would mean there is about 18" to 20" of leg from the brisket to the ground. Doesn't that make more sense?

18-Aug-10
I noticed the same thing. Clearly either a typo is simple mistake.

Bill

18-Aug-10
I found a website with some other measurements. http://www.bowhunting.net/NAspecies/elk2.html Here it shows an average bull would have a body thickness of 34.65" and the average cow 32.7". The height of a bull is on average 59" and for cows 53".

18-Aug-10
30 inches

19-Aug-10
I can tell you from personal experience, with a guy I used to work with, whose father owned a trophy elk ranch (high fence), that a Mature bull elk is roughly (give or take 2-4 inches) 20 inches from the top of the shoulder to the bottom of the brisket, and ROUGHLY 48 inches at the shoulder.

I KNOW they look bigger, but I personally PETTED a 7x7 he had at the time I was working with this guy. I have pictures to prove it, somewhere... Yes, his head was almost at the same level with mine, (and the rack a good 2 feet above my head) but his withers were no more than 50 inches off the ground...

Even a MONSTER bull won't be much bigger than the one I'm talking about - how many 7x7's have you come across in the woods?

04-Apr-21
How far from brisket to ground? I’m going to make a target to help with getting my mindset right on range.

06-Apr-21

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I know this thread is almost 11 years old but I have to disagree with Colorado Cowboy's comment that a mature bull elk is 20" from top of back to brisket, give or take 2-4". That would mean that a mature bull could be as little as 16" from back to brisket. I know for a fact that a mature whitetail buck is about 16" from back to brisket. Also I have a few mature bull elk shoulder mounts on the wall and the cross section of the forms measure about 32" from back to brisket. There's no way you could stretch a 20" cape over a 32" form.

• Sitka Gear