Sitka Gear
Nevada Moves 235 Sheep!
Wild Sheep
Contributors to this thread:
NvaGvUp 28-Oct-11
Mark Watkins 28-Oct-11
Bake 28-Oct-11
28-Oct-11
Starting tomorrow, the Nevada Dept. of Wildlife will begin a translocation of 235 desert bighorn sheep in a little over a week's period. It's my understanding that this will be the largest translocation of wild sheep ever to be undertaken.

The Virginia Range, which is immediately east of Reno, will see the first of two releases this Sunday. A second release in the range is scheduled for next Friday. Multiple other ranges in Nevada will also be be getting translocated sheep from this project.

Here's a news release from Nevada Bighorns Unlimited on the Virginia Range project. This is the range where the gizzler project I wrote about here three weeks ago was done:

"Native Desert Bighorn Sheep to be Re-introduced into the Virginia Range

Reno – On Sunday, October 30, 2011, more than two years of hard work and dedication will come to fruition when approximately 10 to 15 Desert Bighorn Sheep will be re-introduced into their native habitat of Clark Mountain in the Virginia Range east of Reno by the Nevada Department of Wildlife and volunteers.

“This re-introduction of Desert Bighorn Sheep is the result of the tremendous efforts of not only the Nevada Department of Wildlife and Lance Gilman of the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center, but the volunteer efforts of the Nevada Bighorns Unlimited, The Wild Sheep Foundation and numerous other volunteer groups,” said Steve Field, President of Nevada Bighorns Unlimited (NBU).

With the assistance of NBU, over 60 mountain ranges in Nevada have received new populations of Desert, Rocky Mountain, or California Bighorns. Over half of the total bighorn sheep tags available statewide are due to reintroduced populations. NBU has also been proactive in reintroduction of antelope throughout northern Nevada as well as elk into select mountain ranges.

“The re-introduction of Desert Bighorn Sheep into the Virginia Range and our regions is an exciting prospect and we have been pleased to play a part in a worthwhile state project to protect our community wildlife,” stated Lance Gilman, principal and exclusive broker for the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center.

The re-introduction of the Desert Bighorn Sheep has been in the planning stages for more than two years with the cooperation of the Nevada Department of Wildlife, the Tahoe Reno Industrial Center, the Wild Sheep Foundation and the Nevada Bighorns Unlimited. On October 1st and 2nd of this year, volunteers led by NBU and the Wild Sheep foundation constructed two (2) Water Guzzlers on Clark Mountain in preparation for this re-introduction. These Water Guzzlers collect and store natural precipitation and meter out the precious water throughout the year.

The mission of Nevada Bighorns Unlimited it to protect and enhance Nevada’s wildlife resources for sportsmen, outdoor and wildlife enthusiasts, and future generations. NBU volunteers do this through the reintroduction of big game, habitat conservation and improvement, public education and participation, biological and scientific research, and the influence of public policy. Visit Nevada Bighorns Unlimited at www.nevadabighornsunlimited.org.

28-Oct-11
Kyle, great news! Keep up the hard work! Thanks for your (and many other's) dedication to the future of our wild sheep!

28-Oct-11
Cool!

My biggest highlight from my failed NV muley trip was being able to watch some bighorn ewes up on the peaks right above my camp.

I would love to get to experience some NV desert sheep hunting someday

Bake

• Sitka Gear