city hunter 04-Feb-12
DTala 04-Feb-12
DTala 04-Feb-12
DTala 04-Feb-12
TD 04-Feb-12
Tony 06-Feb-12
noodle2000 06-Feb-12
31-Jan-12
I have all my mounts hanging in an unfinished basement room.........two studded walls and 2 poured concrete walls. Have 3 animals coming from the taxidermist in a few months and want to fix the room up some. Am moving in a few years so don't want to sink a ton of money into it. Would like to hear some ideas on what to do. I want a rustic look.......some kind of wood/plyboard. Maybe sheetrock at the bottom, but not all the way up. If you have pics of what you've done it'd be great!

Thanks!

31-Jan-12
How much do you have to spend?

31-Jan-12
I like a wood wainscote with drywall upper. Some animals can kinda disappear against wood. If you use drywall be sure to use 5/8 or 3/4" plywood or osb for a backer to fasten mounts anywhere on the wall.

31-Jan-12
How about tearing down an old barn or shed and use that, it would be rustic in appearence and a cool conversation piece as well.

31-Jan-12
Knotty Aspen....similar to knotty pine but lighter in color and you can stain/varnish it in many differnt laquers......whole wall or half wall looks great.

Good luck, Robb

31-Jan-12
A friend found an old farm with some dilapidated building, bribed the farmer with beer and took home a bunch of the rusted corrugated metal roofing and weathered barn wood. He took the corrugated metal panels and cut them to 3' pieces and attached them to the wall as a wainscot using the weathered barn wood as a top trim/transition with drywall above. This was in his bar but I always liked the idea for a trophy room - pretty cheap too. Dont have any pictures but I can sketch something up and email it to you if you like.

31-Jan-12
barnwood is nice but hard to come by in some parts

31-Jan-12
I was just talking about this with a friend today... Also have an unfinished basement and trying to decide how I wan to finish my 'man cave' area. I'm planning to stay in the house for some time so trying to make sure I plan for plenty of future areas that I may want to hang mounts (all over the basement) - ha ha...

Think my basement has around a 9ft ceiling... My initial thought was setting a 4x8 sheet of drywall on it's 4ft side and then going with some type of pre-finished pine/wood tongue and grove planking up to the ceiling... Potentially a few can lights above or shining towards the mounts?

Thought about putting 1/2" sheet of plywood behind the tongue/grove planking (would rip some 3-4" runners to put behind the sheet rock if I didn't want cost of putting plywood behind wall from the floor up to the start of the planking).

The biggest thing I'm trying to make sure I do is to put backing all over the place so I can hang a mount pretty much anywhere on a given wall...

31-Jan-12

B4LITE's embedded Photo
B4LITE's embedded Photo
We closed in our carport and one side of the room we left the brick and the other side we used sheetrock and painted it about the color of the old red brick. I have all chest mounts on the brick and all the antler ones on the sheetrock. Had nice forest/field oil painting hung on the sheetrock side and put all the antlers mounts around it. We have had lots of compliments on them. If you’re in the basement you might want to go with a light color depending of the how much light is available. Here is what I had in the dining room and the wife was glad to see me move to the new room don't have picture of that yet; post them later. What was that guy's name that said you know you are a rednect if you have a deer head hanging over your dinning room table?

31-Jan-12

Graybeard62's embedded Photo
I have half log, easy to put up mounts and momentos. Graybeard62

31-Jan-12

Here is another view. Graybeard62

31-Jan-12

StickFlicker's embedded Photo
StickFlicker's embedded Photo
I took (4 x 8) sheets of bare wood that are cut to took like rough cut tongue-in-groove boards. I painted/stained them to try to get a weathered barn wood look. I only did one wall, so as not to make the room too dark. After I hung the mounts, I installed low voltage ceiling can lights which I inserted where I wanted them to shine on a particular mount. I like the "not overly brightly lit" look of the room. I find it more relaxing.

It's not finished yet, but I plan to put some weathered shake shingles on an angle across the top to cover the bear wall that is showing (because the board is 8 feet tall and the wall was 9 feet. I was able to salvage some from someone that was re-roofing their home. It will look like the roof overhanging the wall by about 8 inches or so when it's done.

Marvin

31-Jan-12
I've always been a fan of barnwood. If anyone in Colorado is interested, I have about 450 sq feet of excellent weathered gray-red, ship-lap tongue-groove barnwood I recovered from a historic barn in Boulder County. It's been stored indoors since being removed from the barn.

My plans changed and I no longer need it. If anyone is interested or knows someone who might be, PM me and we'll make a deal.

31-Jan-12

PinePoint's embedded Photo
The house I bought had particle board up in the basement. I painted it and then used a wallpaper that looks like wood planks on the lower half of it. I trimmed it in with wood color trim and did the floor with carpet squares. It was very inexpensive and I was happy with how it turned out. I'm in the same boat as you...moving again in a few years and didn't want to spend a ton of money on something.

31-Jan-12

Here's a couple more pics.....

31-Jan-12

bird dog's embedded Photo
bird dog's embedded Photo
i used knotty pine from menards it was great because it came pre finished and i did the whole basement for under a 1000 dollars

31-Jan-12

One more....

31-Jan-12
Our's is upper 1/2 Plywood 3/4" thick and bottom is drywall. I NEVER have to look for a 'stud' to nail or screw into to mount and heads.

31-Jan-12
If you find old barnwood, make sure there are no bugs or worms in it. Or have it fumigated. You don't want anything crawling into your mounts and destroying them.

01-Feb-12
bird dog - did you use any type of backer board to fasten that tongue and grove to? That would work pretty well in my basement....

01-Feb-12
Graybeard,

I love the half logs! How expensive and where'd you get it?

bird dog,

Love the knotty pine, too! Is that tongue in groove? Is Menards a lumber store?

Thanks all..........

01-Feb-12
My son's in-laws have the corrugated galvanized wainscoat with barn siding trim in their dining room. It's an awesome look!

01-Feb-12
+1 Jasper

Greybeard---special order or did ya have it shipped to your home?

Thanks,

Good luck, Robb

01-Feb-12
Rooster,

Got a pic?

01-Feb-12
Jasper: "Is Menards a lumber store?"

Yes, it is a "big box" building center with stores mostly in the midwest. Ala "Home Depot" or "Lowes". Menards seems to be the most inexpensive of the bunch in my experience.

01-Feb-12

OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
I did 1/2" plywood underneath all my sheetrock. If you don't plan on staying there long and/or don't want to put much money into it I would do knotty pine or the "cheap" paneling.

OFFHNTN

01-Feb-12
What backing would you guys suggest if I used knotty pine? In addition to deer, I have elk, moose and mountain goat to hang.

Thanks!

01-Feb-12
Another suggestion is to hang plywood directly on the studs of any walls (Corner to corner, floor to ceiling) you might want to hang any mounts on. Then cover with whatever finished product you would like - that way you are never searching for studs and can hang something anywhere you want. OSB sheathing is pretty cheap...

01-Feb-12
To add to my other post - If you decide on sheathing the whole wall(s) make sure to adjust for the extra wall thickness at any of your outlets and switches and such.

01-Feb-12

buckykm1's embedded Photo
My room

01-Feb-12

01-Feb-12

Mathews Man's embedded Photo
For anything smaller than a Caribou, I would just use a screw-in 75# rated anchor and a screw into it to hang a shoulder mount. Thats all I use to hang smaller stuff.

Elk, Moose, or bigger lifesized mounts or displays I use a 1/4" lag screw into a stud.

01-Feb-12

Wood lower and white so that you can see the hide colors seems to work well, and lots of can lighting.

01-Feb-12

Jasper's embedded Photo
Jasper's embedded Photo
Here's a pic I found on another site. This guy used 1 X 12s over sheetrock painted with textured paint to look like mortar.

01-Feb-12

OregonArcher's embedded Photo
I like the maroon wall as accent wall, it brings out colors too.

01-Feb-12

01-Feb-12

MNHunter's embedded Photo
MNHunter's embedded Photo
Put plywood on all the walls then cover with whatever you want. It is nice to know you can hang anything, anywhere

01-Feb-12

Jasper BULELK1

I actually got my log from the Amish, these logs have more character(knots,color,worm tracks)than regular log. I prefer lots of character. You can buy regular half log at Menards(simarler to Home Depot & Lowe`s) Graybeard62

01-Feb-12
yeah i used 2x2's fastened to the concrete so i had something to fasten the pine boards too

01-Feb-12
menards is like a home depot or a lowes and yes it is tounge and grooved

02-Feb-12
For you guys using plywood backing - Ar you using 1/2", 5/8", 3/4" or something else? Biggest thing I have to hang right now is a Kudu and before the room is full I hope to hang an elk in it.

Also, since I never intend to hang a mount on the floor or within a a foot or two from the ceiling, have any of you done 4x8 sheets sideways then just cut 2" strips of plywood to fir out the rest of the stud above and below? I've got 9' ceilings so thinking of firring out 4' at the bottom and 1' at the top just to save a little more than half on the plywood costs?

02-Feb-12

Tony's embedded Photo
Tony's embedded Photo
I finished mine out with bandmill cut Ozark red cedar run at angles and also laid fieldstone in one corner and gas log fireplace with fieldstone. 1/2' thick cut so it will hold any mount.

02-Feb-12

Tony's embedded Photo
Tony's embedded Photo
And the red cedar smell is great.

02-Feb-12

Tony's embedded Photo
Tony's embedded Photo
Corner

02-Feb-12

B4LITE's embedded Photo
B4LITE's embedded Photo
There are some very nice trophy rooms on this thread great ideas. I'm just starting since my wife ran me out of the dining room:) Here is one of two pics

02-Feb-12

B4LITE's embedded Photo
B4LITE's embedded Photo
and here is the other one. Couldn't afford full head mounts maybe later.

02-Feb-12
Thanks greybeard!

Good luck, Robb

02-Feb-12
Tony---Did you tongue and groove your cedar? I have a bunch of cedar that should be about ready to use.

03-Feb-12
I disassembled a old barn built in 1886. in central Illinois. I have several stacks of beautiful planking, siding and barn beams if anyone is interested in the whole lot. Pm me for a price.

04-Feb-12
Jasper check out some natural fabric wall coverings you can use on complete wall or break it up ,, its a very modern good looking product.

04-Feb-12

DTala's embedded Photo
DTala's embedded Photo

04-Feb-12

DTala's embedded Photo
DTala's embedded Photo
sorry, no idea how that got there...

try again...

04-Feb-12
walls are T&G pine, stained dark/sanded/restained/hand applied poly

bar is cypress with walnut slab top

troy

04-Feb-12
I really like the idea of the cedar, or at least some of it. My thinking is you would get good bug control with it.

The bugs that get in the mounts are a type of moth I think? Lots of closets lined with cedar to fend off the moths.

Plus it would compliment cigars quite well....

06-Feb-12
@Dude No I did not tongue and grove my boards, just square sides and didn't have them planed either, gives it more of a rustic look

06-Feb-12
just put up 1/2 inch osb board and then put drywall over top. You will never need to worr about being 16" on center

• Sitka Gear