kota-man 07-Mar-12
Mark Watkins 07-Mar-12
kota-man 07-Mar-12
Matt 07-Mar-12
Hawkeye 07-Mar-12
Bowfreak 07-Mar-12
qdmbucks 07-Mar-12
08-Feb-12
Looking for reviews of the 2012 Carbon Element since most have had a full hunting season with it. The good, the bad, worth the $$. Thanks

08-Feb-12
A little better than the fuel cam, little longer valley, about 6-8 fps faster! Dead silent at the shot, no vibration at all!! I'll sell u mine, want a matrix, longer ata, i have a 31" inch draw and the matrix goes to 31. Wvarcher

09-Feb-12
love mine after having the 2011 CE i was really impressed with the rkt wheel very smooth and no shock at the shot love this bow

09-Feb-12
Agree with hoytshooter. Took a bit to tune but once I did is a phenomenal bow. Very forgiving, quiet, great wall and biggest change are the cams, as the 2011cold would really take off on you with any creep. The 2012 solved that problem.

09-Feb-12
I have one on order........I guess you can say I liked it enough to get one. :)

OFFHNTN

09-Feb-12
So far I like mine. I experienced some of the same tunign peculiarities Hawkeye did (tuning insisde of center), but other than that there is much to like.

09-Feb-12
A great bow for sure....smooth draw, very solid back wall, the RKT eliminated the previous creep issues, very fast and accurate.

09-Feb-12
I have never owned a Hoyt before but always have an open mind to new bows. Initially, the God awful sight of this bow turned me off, but I decided to try it out. It is incredibly balanced and super light . The draw back was easy but for me there was a sharp bump as the peak of the cam turned over. Nothing horrible, just something I would have to get used to. When it was at full draw, it was a dream! You could let up significantly and it didn't creep forward or jump at all. It just sat there waiting for the next command. This was my favorite part of the bow. At the shot it was quiet and smooth. I liked it enough to move it up into the top few bows on my list. Someone I know had one crack in several places which is a concern to me. We'll see if this was just a lemon. All in all I was very impressed with this bow.

10-Feb-12
So far, everything I've read and heard it seems to be a great bow. I've never owned a Hoyt either, but im looking forward to the CE. I just wanted a few opinions before I invest that kind of cash into a new bow. Thanks again

10-Feb-12
So far, everything I've read and heard it seems to be a great bow. I've never owned a Hoyt either, but im looking forward to the CE. I just wanted a few opinions before I invest that kind of cash into a new bow. Thanks again

10-Feb-12
I just bought the MATRIX last Month and LOVE it. I had it (paper tuned) shooting bullet holes in less than 5 shots.

10-Feb-12
I bought a 2011 Matrix new for $900 on line recently. Same as the 2012 except for the cams as noted above. Saved $300 and I have had no issues with the fuel cams jumping away from me. It is nice to have state of the art equipment and innovation and I am glad I went for it, but you won't shoot any better than do you with your current bow. The good stuff is all basically the same in terms of accuracy.

One thing to note the quiver options for the carbon bows are not cheap and they are not integrated. Hoyt could have done a much better job in that regard.

10-Feb-12
ELKMAN

It may be the Swarovski of bows in that it is the high end in price and a great proven brand, but Swarovski optics are truly differentiated in terms of performance and functionality than other optics. The carbon bows are not that.....other than shape and construction. Kind of like putting Leupold glass in an EL 10x42 frame..............looks and feels cool, but that would be it. Hoyt's other top end non-carbon models are every bit as good functionality-wise, just not as cool.

i am glad i have a new carbon bow, but it's more a feel good possession than one that is really differentiated from my Alphamax, katera, etc.

10-Feb-12
"Swarovski optics are truly differentiated in terms of performance and functionality than other optics. The carbon bows are not that.....other than shape and construction."

I would beg to differ, in terms of cold weather feel (warmer feel than aluminum), vibration dampening/quietness, and weight - not to mention potentially in terms of stiffness (may or may not be a demostrable benefit?).

I won't go so far as to say Hoyt doesn't have competition however (or Swarovski for that matter). While I prefer Hoyt, there are some other great bows on the market.

10-Feb-12
I guess I'll be the only one to say much negative. My riser is now hairline cracked in 3 areas and I can't do much until I kill my javelina next week. Hopefully, it will let me pull back and fire once more before the end of it. I don't have a back up, but looks like I may need to get one for the future. I had no tuning issues with mine. Shot great when I used to practice :( I like my son's heli-m better.

11-Feb-12
Wade, you were the one I was referring to with the cracked riser. I haven't heard that from anyone else as of yet. Time will tell. Are they replacing it for you? Loved the feel of the bow, but your story scared me. Might need to get the Heli-M instead.

11-Feb-12
I shot the Matrix side by side against the Vector 35. I noticed no difference in noise or recoil. Speed is the same. I could not justify the extra cost on the Matrix so I chose the Vector 35. Although I did not compare the Element verses the Vector 32 I would imagine the results would be similar. The main thing this year is the RKT cam that Hoyt came out with verses the fuel cam. Any Hoyt with the RKT cam is a good choice.

11-Feb-12
Chris - they are going to replace it. The only issue would be loss of bow for 3 weeks and I have a javi to kill next weekend!

elkman - Paint won't crack unless there is movement. The seam has split apart completely around one tube and another tube is cracked on both sides. All areas are foundation defects not the paint.

11-Feb-12
PREDATOR, is the riser cracked or is the finish cracked?

11-Feb-12

PREDATOR's embedded Photo
PREDATOR's embedded Photo
MATT - Here's the best pic I can take without the bow drawn. When drawn the hairline opens up on both sides of the tube (farthest arrow). The other is where the tube has separated and you can see the obvious separation (closest arrow). Both cracks were loud and happened at full draw.

11-Feb-12
Yikes. I wouldn't shoot that bow.

11-Feb-12
They don't make javalina big enough to make it worth drawing that bow back in its present state

Elkman how much smaller are your groups with your carbon bow than with its predecessor?

12-Feb-12
over priced for what it is. It does't shoot any better that any other top end bow and that is a fact. If you turn down the new bowtechs to where they're shooting the same speeds as the CE they are just as quiet. I just don't see the point in the spending more money without getting any more performance. If it's a feel thing and money is no issue than why not. Also, it does NOT have a solid back wall, the wall is anything but solid, that is part of the reason they feel so smooth, when you pull over the hump you run into a soggy wall that acts like a shock absorber. I can pull well over 1/2in into the wall on a CE. Shoot a bowtech, or a pse if you want to know what a solid back wall feels like. Some people like that about the hoyt, but don't mistake it for solid, some shops are timing top cam just in front of the lower cam (makes the back wall feel more solid) so watch for that too. overrated.

12-Feb-12
"Shoot a bowtech, or a pse if you want to know what a solid back wall feels like."

Shoot a Bowtech and you can memorize their limb replacement return process (been there done that - twice, part of the reason I shoot Hoyt).

See, I can post ignortant $#!+ on the internet too. ;-)

12-Feb-12
We already knew that Matt! LOL

14-Feb-12
+2 on Matt no way id shoot that bow especially knowing that Hoyt will fix problem a good pro shop would probably even give you a loaner!

14-Feb-12
matt

you certainly can all I said was the back wall is not solid and it's not. I said it does not shoot any better than any other top end bow and it does not. archery is turning into the same thing as fly fishing, a yuppy purist rich man's sport and that pisses me off. My point to Lastcall is that you can spend less money and be every bit as likely to make your kill. My comparison is to bowtech and pse was the feel of the back wall not weather or not bowtech as issues with their limbs. I am not partial to any brand and I don't believe in pissing money down the drain. I like a little weight on my bow so the weight is not an issue for me, other than that I don't see any advantages over the vector, (or any other good bow) unless your concerned about your fingers getting cold. For 400 or 500 bucks you can buy a decent pair of gloves. Maybe money is not an issue to you, Lastcall asked if it was worth the doe (maybe money is an issue to him) In my personal opinion IT IS NOT WORTH THE MONEY.

15-Feb-12
"...all I said was the back wall is not solid and it's not."

That isn't all you said (i.e. speed/quietness), but it is one of a number of opinions that you represent as fact others disagree with.

15-Feb-12
"A PURE HUNTING bow in a class of its own. It is the "swarovski" of bows. If your serious you have one. It has no competition."

Hmmm Have you shot a New Breed Eclipse?

Definitely in a different class because of the riser aspect, but there are alot of great bows out there

15-Feb-12
Back to the thread topic...."Hoyt Carbon Element RKT Reviews?" I am not going to comment on price...is it or is it not worth it....Is it better than other bows?...but rather repeatable accuracy. Which for me is the number one attribute I look for in a bow. IE...after belly crawling through the sage brush for a couple of hours, can I shoot it accurately to ensure a quick clean kill...time and time again? I have had mine about one month and have been shooting on average one to two times a day (20 arrows each session field points and FBBH)....I tried shooting it with side plates first, then the "slick grip" (not the rubber one) and for the past two weeks have been straight off the riser. The riser is the best solution for me. I have owned 5 Mathews bows previously (still have two)and have found them highly reliable for consistent accuracy. They have worked for me. I have also found the HCE to be highly reliable for consistent accuracy (maybe the best I have ever shot)out to 70 yards....After one months worth of shooting it is my bow of choice for repeatable accuracy. Good luck on your decision!

04-Mar-12
anyone else seeing cracking in the riser or paint?

04-Mar-12
I ordered mine in a 65# configuration. It is very smooth, and has zero recoil on the shot. I am getting 288 fps with a 414 grain arrow. Very happy with this bow.

04-Mar-12
I've got a Bowtech Invasion, Hoyt CE RKT and a Mathews Heli-m...I like all three of these bows but prefer the Invasion and Heli-m to the CE. My favorite one to shoot right now is the Heli-M. Solid back wall, vibration/shock free and plenty accurate for a short bow.

The CE RKT definately has some "sponge" to the back wall as where the other two are more "solid".

All three bows are extemely quiet and shock free. The Invasion is a hair quicker than the other two. Also appears to be a little more accurate for me out past 60 yards. Prefer the string angle of the Invasion and that might be why it is more accurate for me.

Out of 40 some owned bows I've never once had to send one in for warranty but as you can tell mine don't get really old either.

As it stands right now, the Heli-m will be the go to bow this fall.

06-Mar-12
I can't see any cracks.

06-Mar-12
Bou, there looked to be some harline cracks in the finish on mine on the shelf.

"The CE RKT definately has some "sponge" to the back wall as where the other two are more "solid"."

Are the cams properly synched? I was surprised by how solid the back wall is on mine.

06-Mar-12
Yes, perfect based on the draw board in the shop. I didn't notice it when I picked up the bow but really notice it when I shoot the three bows side by side. The Hoyt is noticibly "softer"...

07-Mar-12
I don't understand the bad wrap the Heli-M gets for "vibration"...Mine is absolutely dead in the hand and quiet. And, I'm not seeing any cam lean. Like I said, all three of these bows are great but I'm liking the Heli-m more everytime I shoot it and I have never been a huge Mathews fan.

All three of these bows are fantastic. Can't hardly go wrong with any of them. If the Heli-M was 33 inches A to A it could very well be the "perfect" bow for me.

07-Mar-12
Cory, I don't understand the bad wrap the Heli-M gets for "vibration"...Mine is absolutely dead in the hand and quiet.....Agreed. I have the '12 CE and the "12 Heli-M.

The Heli-M draws like butter, solid back wall, relativley fast, dead in the hand and scary quiet at the shot.

The CE (for me) provides the best in repeatable accuracy (forgiveness) at long range (60 yds+) pracitce sessions, about 14 FPS faster than the Heli-M, actually a bit easier to hold (no creep at all) than the Heli-M at full draw. For me, the CE is the right bow. (I have shot 6 Mathews bows over the years prior to buying the CE). It all boils to down to shoot what YOU shoot the best!

07-Mar-12
My Heli-m is yet to be tested at long ranges but my Invasion shoots quite a bit better than my CE RKT at long ranges. I think for me it boils down to string angle and am more consistent with a better string angle.

Suprised at the difference in speed...Does anyone know the IBO on the Hoyt? The Heli is 332 I believe, and the Invasion is 343 and would guess the Hoyt is somewhere inbetween. I think Hoyt only lists ATA on their website.

07-Mar-12
The Element is a 330 IBO bow. A perfect example of why Hoyts are not "slow." Unlike most other manufacturers they nearly always meet or exceed their IBO rating.

07-Mar-12
Hoyt does just list ATA....for what is worth...on my two 70 lb. bows (as I have them set up) shot through the chrono at the bow shop: CE at 68 lbs, 27" draw, D loop, 445 grain arrow is 278fps. The Heli-M at 72 lbs, 27" draw, D loop, same 445 grain arrow is 270fps. The Hoyt's 27" draw feels at least 1/2"-3/4" longer than the 27" draw on the Heli-M for some reason...don't know why but the chrono/speeds kind of supports this.

07-Mar-12
Thats why I question the 14 fps difference in speed as noted above. Should be closer than that.

07-Mar-12
One would think they would be alot closer..I was suprised at the difference..... posting what I found. Cory, Shoot your two through a chrono and see what you find as well?

07-Mar-12
Will do...I'll report back this weekend. I admit the 29 inch draw on the Hoyt feels longer than the 29 inch Mathews, which would suprise me as I thought Mathews usually seemed to "fudge" a little on draw length to get the speeds up.

07-Mar-12
My 27.5"/70# (stated, not measured) Element shoots a 435 gr. arrow right at 280 fps.

07-Mar-12
I put mine on a draw board few weeks ago and measured 27", bought at 26.5 but this is pretty normal, at least on ones I've shot.

Really like my Element but haven't shot the others to really compare.

07-Mar-12
Hmmmm.....maybe Hoyt finally moved to the old mathews and PSE tactics of adding 1/2" to 3/4" to get speed

07-Mar-12
I shot the Bout along with most of the other flagship bows on the market. While it is a decent lightweight bow it did nothing to.seperate itself from the rest besides its awesome good looks. It was quiet and shockfree. The draw was somewhat harsh but I thought the wall was spongy as I prefer something much more solid lime the Elites. The smoothest draw was the Elite Answer but the bow that stood out to me was the Prime Centroid. It drew smooth, was shockfree and held better then any bow I have ever shoot. There will definitely be a Centroid in my bowcase before hunting season.

Matt

• Sitka Gear