Tracker 20-Jan-13
Medicinemann 21-Jan-13
ColoradoHunter 21-Jan-13
LaGriz 22-Jan-13
stricknine 11-Feb-13
Dennis Razza 11-Feb-13
Mathews Man 11-Feb-13
31-Dec-12
I had this 5x5 elk shoulder mount in my garage and covered up, for 6 years because I did not believe it would fit in my house with 8 ft ceilings without sticking out too far.

A couple of year ago, I found this corner in my den that might work and after measuring, the area seems to have been the right place all along.

Would be of some interest to see some other places elk hunters have their mounts in tight places with low ceilings. Got to be 8 ft ceilings! or under.

Paul

31-Dec-12

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Here is the elk mount picture.

31-Dec-12
A client, who had more big elk than I'll likely see in my life, told me putting elk way up was a waste. He said you can't see them well and their features are hidden by the angle.

I think low should work well.

31-Dec-12

wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
wyobullshooter's embedded Photo
Those books are just "How To" anyway. Paul figured out "How To" a long time ago, so the books are just dust collectors anyway. ;-)

Paul, your bull looks great! Although not an elk, my moose resides in the basement family room.

01-Jan-13
Perfect fit Paul!

Good luck, Robb

01-Jan-13
IMO you cant put a large mount like a Moose, Elk, or Caribou in a small room and have it look like it belongs there. One of the things most guys don't think of when they get one done. Cathedral ceilings make all the difference.

01-Jan-13
I have a Kudu(African Elk) and 8' ceilings. My office has doors on 2 adjoining walls. I put the kudu on one of those walls near the corner so it doesn't block any walkways. As long as you are not inhibiting a walk path(which you appear to not be blocking) you have your elk in a good place.

01-Jan-13
bruce, you may be correct but prior to moving to Ft Collins, I owned a tourist lodge in the Mts. where we had 12ft ceilings. Times change and people move and down size. THis elk shows a lot better now than being hung and covered up with a sheet for 6 years in the garage.

This is why I do not shoot big elk any more--can't get them through the door. :)

Still trying to figure where I am going to hang my 190 mule deer when I get him. Maybe the bathroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

01-Jan-13
I think you need to start killing smaller elk-smaller racks!

01-Jan-13

Wishunter's embedded Photo
Wishunter's embedded Photo
Here is one of mine that I had to take out the window to get in family room. Works out well.

01-Jan-13
Perhaps you can have the mount modified for a corner mount. It will still take up the same space but be able to be put where you are less likely to run into it.

01-Jan-13
Need to make a corner mount off a box. I will try to find pics from our old house I had it in. Takes up less space.

01-Jan-13

supersider34's embedded Photo
Here is a couple pics.

01-Jan-13

Here is another. Makes it take up less room as it is out of the way....

01-Jan-13

Here is another. These pics are 14 yrs old. Have a new house we bought and have more mounts. New house has a 20' x 24' w/ 9' ceilings for my trophy room.

01-Jan-13
big animals and low ceilings are a compromise that people have no choice but to accept (if they don't plan on moving or won't skip the taxidermy work).

The combination never does justice to either the mount or the room.

Elk briskets are not meant to be 23" off the floor and moose bells are not meant to be playthings for the family kitten.

01-Jan-13

Windwalker's embedded Photo
Opinions, opinions that all they are. Here are some of mine that I enjoy everyday and I do not have to pay hugh property taxes just to have a room with high ceilings.

01-Jan-13

Here is an elk. Ceiling is 3" shy of 8'.

01-Jan-13

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Lousy photo for a pro photographer, but you get the idea.

They're at the end of our trophy room, so people don't have to weave their way around them, like if they were on a side wall. The camera angle makes it hard to tell, but the bull on the right is a full shoulder-mount.

This ceiling is only about 7 1/2-feet tall.

Ditto Windwalker...I'll put them in the space I have, rather than spend five-figures for an addition...hard to justify on our incomes, with two kids in college when the two mounted bulls were shot (2003).

They seem to look OK to me, and it's my house, and they're my elk, and I paid for both, so...

01-Jan-13
Nice mount and I could care less about anyones ceiling. Bob.

01-Jan-13
Amen Writer......some people on this site always try to rain on someone else's parade. I wonder what they are compensating for...........

01-Jan-13
As far as getting them in and out, spend a bit more and have them peg mounted. I've done it for both an elk and a caribou and it works great.

01-Jan-13
How much more does it typically cost to have the antlers mounted on pegs?

02-Jan-13
"......some people on this site always try to rain on someone "

It's called an Opinion. What's more irritating is when people can't take criticism without having their little feelings hurt.

02-Jan-13
Why would a thread like this EVEN have any "criticizm"?

It was started to show what other have accomplished in small places and give some ideas to others.

What a shame if a thread like this had the NO DEBATE, logo and just receive good post as it was meant in the first place.

Paul

02-Jan-13
Always felt that someone should come up w/ a grazing elk form to mount elk .

02-Jan-13
I didnt really think it was that negative. He said it was a comprmise to put a large animal in a small room. Do they look better in a large room sure but we have to put them somewhere even if we have only have small rooms. I dont have a picture yet but my elk is on a pedistal with just over 7 foot ceilings it was a tight fit lucky his antlers are removable also

02-Jan-13
Double post sorry

03-Jan-13
I am interested in 8' mounts also. (Wall or pedestal) Did you go with removable antlers or were you able to manage in one piece? I have not killed an elk yet which I have wanted to shoulder mount, but I don't want my room limitations to be a deciding factor whether I mount one or not.

I do not have the funds to remodel or buy a new house just for dead heads. I guess my priorities of saving for retirement and helping my kids through college vs making a compromise on a mount are "out of touch".

It is my elk and I will do the best I can under the circumstances.

As a friend once said, "It is my penis, and I will wash it as fast and as long as I want to!" LOL!

03-Jan-13
I like the 90 degree open mouth bugle pose. It will save some room for 8 ft ceilings.

03-Jan-13
I think a pedastel is perfect for this situation.

03-Jan-13
sorry for saying that big animals and low ceilings are a compromise that people have no choice but to accept (if they don't plan on moving or won't skip the taxidermy work). The combination never does justice to either the mount or the room.

The pictures above clearly show how wrong I was as in all cases the animals and the rooms are exquisitly presented and the full majesty of the trophy and the dwelling are perfectly accentuated without any compromise.

Live and learn.

03-Jan-13
Thank you Boubound; sometimes I'm overly sensitive at times! I need to work on that. Have a good one and a great hunt.

03-Jan-13
Z - I like that saying........and plan on using it! LOL! :)

OFFHNTN

03-Jan-13
I like the idea of the "grazing" form for lower ceilings, the bugling form might get as few extra inches out of a ceiling as well.

Pedestal would work well I bet for a larger room with 8' ceilings, could do some tilt back and other options.

All in all.... it's not really a bad problem to have.... the elk mount I mean.... not that other thing.... =D

04-Jan-13
I like the plaqued photos with your mounts windwalker... Might use that.

04-Jan-13

OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
OFFHNTN's embedded Photo
8' Ceiling. I guess luckily this bull didn't have a very high rack so I could put it up off the floor a ways. I'm hoping the next bull I mount will have to be lower. :)

OFFHNTN

04-Jan-13
A life size mount isn't too tall for an 8' ceiling! ;-)

04-Jan-13
Another mount that looks incredible with low ceilings is a floor pedestal mount. It would likely be possible for you or your taxidermist to drill a hole through the bottom of a wall mount and attach a dowel that will fit in the top of a pedestal stump or wood base. I have a mount similar to this and get more comments about this mount than any other in my house!

05-Jan-13
I have an elk head and a 7.5 ft ceiling. This gives me hope that maybe I can make it work.

05-Jan-13
I would like to see a picture of a jackalope hung in a room with a 16' ceiling. Lol

In all seriousness, there's some great displays above. Ultimately, all that matters is what the onwe thinks anyway. My neighbor's garage ceiling must be about eight feet and that space is probably the most spectacular tangle of antlers I've ever seen! For what it's worth, he's a taxidermist. Nonetheless, I can't tell where one mount ends and the next begins...but it's a very impressive sight for sure.

06-Jan-13

Emmaasher119's embedded Photo
Emmaasher119's embedded Photo
So after seeing some of the pictures in this thread I decided to bring my bull out of the garage and put him in my house. I am very proud of this elk and could care less what some other guys think about ceiling height or whether or not it does the animal justice. I live in military housing and I get whatever floor layout they give me. This mount will last much longer then my stay in any one of these houses so I'm happy with just having it inside so I can look at it more and remember that wonderful day.

06-Jan-13
Hey William, I guess!!!!!! Just don't start hanging coats and hats from its rack. And no Christmas red bows around its neck.

06-Jan-13
I banged my head on my black wildebeast so many times that the wife and I decided to put an addition onto our house with high walls. It should be completed by next weekend and I will have Barry over to re-hang all the heads that he has done for me over the years.

Paul, you know where I live so you will have to stop by to take a look. See you at the Sportsmans Show.

06-Jan-13
It's funny that you mention decorations and coats Paul. My wife's step mother has done it with her deer mounts for years. Either Santa hats or actual tree decorations. Drives me nuts!!!!!

07-Jan-13
I hear ya. May have happened in our house if I had not educated my wife to the fact that these are still wild animals to be respected, even after death.

Paul

18-Jan-13

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Another 8' ceiling injustice....

18-Jan-13

18-Jan-13
Very nice Mike. Love the kickers on the whitetail too.

By the way, what the heck were you watching?

18-Jan-13
Thanks orionsbrother.

I think it was the Country music video channel

18-Jan-13
Mike is that a Leon Parsons print?

19-Jan-13

Longshaft's embedded Photo
Longshaft's embedded Photo
Here's mine, I think I have 7 foot ceilings. I made it work

19-Jan-13
looks great longshaft

19-Jan-13
Longshaft thats some great use of space

19-Jan-13

Jim Ergler's embedded Photo
My bride has been bugging me for years to re-do our family room. Until I had a decent elk to display, I have been dragging my feet on the project. Here's a before and after pic of the display. First, before, with 8' ceiling.

19-Jan-13

Now the after with 10.5' Cathedral ceiling.

20-Jan-13
Jim Great job on that remodel. Colorado Elk looks good on the wall.

21-Jan-13
Wishunter,

The bricks in your room appear to stick out beyond the upper part of the wall, yet the elk fits flush with the entire wall. Did your taxidermist actually sculpt the brisket to make uo for the difference, or am I missing something?

Well done....

21-Jan-13

ColoradoHunter's embedded Photo
ColoradoHunter's embedded Photo
Here is another option, my 2011 elk on a pedestal mount. The ceiling is 8 foot, had to get a little inventive to connect the elk to the pedestal in the room. In the end there is 3/8ths inch clearance from the tip of the G-4 to the ceiling.

22-Jan-13

LaGriz's embedded Photo
LaGriz's embedded Photo
My Idaho Bull in a sneak pose - mouth open - sticks out 42 1/2" from the wall - 8' ceiling PS - I have since trashed the fugly drapes - LOL

11-Feb-13
Wise hunter looks great and jim I like both but the 8ft ceiling is awesome too!!

11-Feb-13

Dennis Razza's embedded Photo
Dennis Razza's embedded Photo

Dennis Razza's Link
Here's a couple that would work in 8ft.Good luck, Dennis

Bowsite Sponsor

11-Feb-13

Mathews Man's embedded Photo
Mathews Man's embedded Photo
My Kudu Pedestal fits well in a room with 7'7" ceilings, and it has long horns.

• Sitka Gear