NorCalVineyards 20-May-21
NorCalVineyards 21-May-21
Norseman 21-May-21
Old Bow 21-May-21
NorCalVineyards 21-May-21
21-Apr-13
Drew a tag for first hunt 16B . Looking for any info where I should start my scouting. Thanks

21-Apr-13
Congrats, I'll be there 3rd season. I'd love an update after your hunt if you don't mind. Will you be day hunting in or packing in? I wish I had some info for you, my plan is to find the water and go from there.

21-Apr-13
if your plan is to find water i would suggest a scouting trip or 2. last year i hiked in 3 to 5 miles to some tanks and they were dry. i wasn't able to scout it prior to my hunt.

21-Apr-13
I plan on packing in for at least 12 days. Go in early set up camp, then hunt to the last legal min. Then hike out the following day, unless I tag out. I plan on at least 3 scouting trips.

21-Apr-13
I was there last week and it is very dry, we are in desperate need of precipitation to jump start the food supply.

I also have 3rd hunt!

23-Apr-13
I have a tag for the first rifle season. This will be my second hunt in this unit. I hunted there 10 years ago and had a great time. Looking forward to it again.

For some reason I can't draw a NR archery elk tag in NM (0 tags in 9 years). However, every time I have applied for a rifle elk tag, same units as archery applications, I have drawn (3 for 3 inlcuding 16D first rifle and now 16B first rifle twice!).

23-Apr-13
I've got the third hunt along with my father. I plan on sharing my hunt - pre, hunt, and post via updates and video.

23-Apr-13
Anybody here have any first hand 16B experience? Pics? I think we are all excited!

23-Apr-13
I have Plenty Of Pics But No Help On Areas To Hunt. I Wasted 10 Days And A Good Tag By Not Covering Enough Ground...

23-Apr-13
Huntmaster - I must say I'm not opposed to good pics of the country.

23-Apr-13

trophyhilll's embedded Photo
This is the only experience I have in 16b :) and they get much bigger!

23-Apr-13
Trophyhill, wow, what a bull! Congrats.

24-Apr-13
16b, 3rd hunt! Drew 2nd hunt last year.

Pray for rain.....

24-Apr-13

huntmaster's embedded Photo
Here's a couple scenery pics...

24-Apr-13

24-Apr-13

24-Apr-13
Any of that Diamond Creek country below Wall Lake is where I would hunt with a 16B tag, I had a cousin that hunted there with lots of luck. Best of luck

24-Apr-13
Wow! Great pictures! Thanks , can't wait to go scout. I will be down in the Gila memorial weekend, I will start my first scouting trip in the NW part of the wilderness. Probably hike in six to eight miles.

24-Apr-13
Didn't draw this year, sad, sad, sad... took a nice 346 last yr on opening day. Here 's my two cents... come in shape, and have a plan to get one out before you get here (ie horses). IMO, if you've never been here it sounds good to hike in, bivy or whatever. Truth is, it's no walk in the park, it's the wilderness and it can be mean. Have a plan. For example, hire someone to do a drop camp or at least someone on standby to pack your elk out. It's not impossible to DIY but it's very difficult. That said, it can also be the best thing thats ever happened to you.. Best of luck.

24-Apr-13
Thanks, I work out , a lot plyometric cardio 6 days a week. All i hunt is wilderness, that's all I put in for. Might have one horse this year, if not i have a couple hunting partners will pack it out . Done this for years. Thanks for the advise.

24-Apr-13
also remember to have many coolers full of ice back at the trail head. some areas you can be 3 plus hours drive away from the nearest cooler/butcher. More if the roads are wash-board. Not to mention the 4 trips and 12-16 hours it will take you to get your elk to the truck. when in doubt hang your meat overnight to cool before attempting to pack it out. meat will cool faster hanging in the night air then it will cramped in a cooler of ice.

go light the first days and scout for water (not for the elk, but YOU), THEN make a plan and move your spike camp accordingly.

Not trying to be debbie-downer, just have a plan and a contingency to that "plan" or any scenerio that may unfold.

24-Apr-13
Great advise , you guys are great! I will take all of it and some more.

24-Apr-13
I've got a packer already lined up for a drop and meat haul. My only concern is that he drops us in good country.

24-Apr-13

Norseman's embedded Photo
home sweet home

24-Apr-13

24-Apr-13

meadows

24-Apr-13

high country

24-Apr-13
SD - Order maps online and start looking for water. Never hunted the Gila before but that was 2cents that stuck with me... Great pics - Norseman and Sfiremedic sound advice. Hard to focus at work with Elk on the brain! Getting a new winners choice on my Z7 today. Lift run shoot!

24-Apr-13

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
My plan is to have sfiremedic come with me!! LOL

24-Apr-13

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
There is a canyon from hell beyond the break in these rocks. Last week I found a bull elk that didn't make it out alive!

Careful which canyon or hill you go down and don't go cross country in the dark unless you are sure of where you are going, a wrong turn in the dark is a bad thing in them hills.

24-Apr-13

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
This is what the canyon looked like at the top, it never crossed my mind to take pics of the rough part or the bull!

24-Apr-13
Wow, great pics. My application says "unsuccessful", does that mean I drew a tag ? ;) ;) ;) ;)

25-Apr-13
You'll be there during the monsoon season, expect thunder and lightning each afternoon of your hunt. Can really make you wish you weren't 8 miles from the truck sometimes...

25-Apr-13
Rained very little last year, mostly a cloud of dust with each step. However, you can expect to be wet at some point during your hunt. mrelite.... i'm in.

25-Apr-13
Anybody have any ideas as to how the fire might have changed things and how to adapt tactics this year? I've been talking to prior tag holders and have lots of places to check out, but obviously this was pre-fire. I'm thinking this year will be a bit tougher to figure things out with the changes to the eco system.

25-Apr-13
Should be easier to glass elk feeding in the burns. Your hurdle will be how to get to them with the lack of ground cover. Look for I unburned timber pockets in burn areas. If there is good rains this spring it should produce some great bulls

25-Apr-13

ki-ke out's embedded Photo
ki-ke out's embedded Photo
The country was rather green last year for what was unquestionably a dry year. If we get a few inches of rain early, like, soon, we'll have good antler growth. A good monsoon season in August and the feed will be great.

Either/other way, it is where I want to and will be come September. The elk will be there and so will I!

25-Apr-13
you guys may want to look at the gila national forest website. Lots of closed trails on the west side due to last years fire. Specifically the trail out of willow creek is closed.

25-Apr-13
Speaking of monsoons, I was hunting 16B Yellow Mountain (north end)in 1996 when that monsoon hit. We were only a few miles from the truck, and got rained out overnight, I was damn glad it wasn't any further than a couple of miles. That was the year Beaverhead flooded, anybody here remember that??? Hunters that were caught in the flooding had to stay an extra day or two till the water went down.

25-Apr-13
yes, it was bad.... we were camped across a creek several miles in. normally, leaving camp, we hop across rocks to cross a creek that heads to the hunting area. The creek is maybe 12-15 ft wide usually 6-10 in deep. when we woke up the day after it started raining, the creek was 30 ft wide and maybe 3ft. deep. Raging, washing huge 30ft, ponderosas down the river... the most amazing, eye opening experience ever... we had to huncker down a few days til it subsided. Hence our 30x50 tarp we put up every year. The circus tent. lol

25-Apr-13
Thats the year loaded mules were sinking up to their bellies in the mud on established trails.

That country need just the amount of water it needs....more is not necessarily better!

26-Apr-13
This tag was good for 16B and 22. Does anyone know if 22 is a good unit?. I am hoping a lot of hunters go to 22 . Lol . I like alot of space.

26-Apr-13
Back in the day, I heard one of the best quotes about 22.

A wrangler I knew took a group of guys into this unit and they went 3 for 4. (With horses). It used to be undersold and when asked why, he said "If you plan on hunting in there, bring a match and a fork. That is the best way to pack an elk out of Unit 22!"

If you drive in on the Bursum Rd. from Glenwood, you will see what I am talking about.

27-Apr-13
More info... last year, bulls were bugling good from day one... if you're not hearing bugles, keep walking.

27-Apr-13
Are most of the outfitters camped down by the river so they can water their stock daily? Do the elk typically look for small tanks or larger sources like rivers when they water. I am going in on horses but may stay out in the elk with my sleeping back on my pack if it means getting to where the elk are at first light.

27-Apr-13
Yes, most if not all outfitters are camped by creek/streams. It's essential. The elk know where all the water sources are. Seeps, small creeks and streams etc., very few man-made tanks where I hunt. I leave camp at o-dark thirty using the trail system to get to that days chosen area ( sometimes up to 2 hours in the dark). Some days we never reach the area we wanted to hunt because of bugling elk. In that case we huncker down and wait for light , listening to those sweet bugles. All depends.

28-Apr-13
Have been looking at a lot of possible areas to scout. Willow mtn. Area, turkey feather mtn. Area, Clayton Mesa area, and on the east half of the wilderness yellow mtn. Area. I will be down there on memorial weekend . Looking to purchase a garmin 62s. Anyone own one ? Looking to see what they liked or not like about that GPS.

28-Apr-13

mrelite's embedded Photo
mrelite's embedded Photo
This is what some of the areas still look like, this is the border area of 16 A & B

29-Apr-13
Wow , devastating!

29-Apr-13
Did they do any aerial seeding in the Gila like they did for AZ fire last year?

29-Apr-13
http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5375619.pdf

This is an interesting article.

29-Apr-13
good find mrelite, so if they did aerial seed, the elk should have fed on green barley shoots all winter and into the spring. and you basically have a map of where they seeded by looking at the red area on the map in the assessment.

Big horns this year boys!

29-Apr-13
They did do aerial seeding... And it grew very well.

29-Apr-13
Good article and great information mr elite.

30-Apr-13
Cool, good info...Thanks Steve

03-May-13
Pray for rain

07-May-13
I was talking with a hunter last night who said he didnt see many calves at all last year and that he felt the bears were to blame. Are the bears doing a number on the elk in the Gila?

07-May-13
I don't ever see a bunch of calves but always see plenty of elk. Always see a bear or two but don't feel they're doing a number on the elk.

08-May-13
We've been getting some weather on the west coast, anything out NM way?

08-May-13
Talked to someone that said it was raining in Reno,NV. Anything in New Mexico?

08-May-13
Very little rain, a couple of spot showers. Last year was very dry (as usual) and it didn't seem to bother the elk as much as it bothered us. Hunting was very good.

09-May-13
16B is SUPER DRY, but still crawling with elk. The number of elk that seem to be hanging out in last year's burn areas is incredible. Because it's been so dry there doesn't seem to be very much new growth sprouting. Even so, the elk must love the feel of ashes under their hooves!?

09-May-13

arctichill's embedded Photo
The picture doesn't do this rack justice. I stumbled upon this skull a couple weeks ago in 16B. This rack has some serious mass! While this bull is gone, his genes live on...I can assure you.

09-May-13

The picture doesn't do this rack justice. I stumbled upon this skull a couple weeks ago in 16B. This rack has some serious mass! While this bull is gone, his genes live on...I can assure you.

09-May-13

Another super-cool discovery I made recently in 16B was this incredible cave. The unit is full of caves, but most are fairly shallow. I've been exploring this unit for 22 years (my Dad has been hunting it for twice that long) and this is the most extensive cave we have ever found. This picture is of my Dad near the entrance of the cave. I tried to snap the photo from much deeper in, but there wasn't enough light. It just looked like a sliver of brightness on a black sheet. In any case, as dry as it is, there was a steady stream of water running down the back of this cave. There was a nice pool at the base of the rear wall. Game sign was abundant. Although the temps outside were likely near 70 degrees, I would estimate the internal temperature to be somewhere in the 40-50 degree range.

09-May-13

This is a picture of the very remotely located entrance to this cave.

09-May-13
Thanks AC for the intel on the conditions and the pics. Super neat cave too btw.

11-May-13
Wow! That is so awesome! I will be doing my first scouting trip memorial weekend . Hopefully have a GPS by then to mark some points.

11-May-13
Can't wait for Sept.

12-May-13
Spotting scope needed for this unit or 10x's binos sufficient?

12-May-13
There will likely be times when a spotting scope might be nice to have, but I've never taken one. I've never felt disadvantaged by not having it. To me, in this unit the additional weight and bulk ofthe spotter would create more disadvantage than any advantage the optic would provide.

12-May-13
Charlie-

PM sent..

Steve

12-May-13
Tony-

Totally agree with AC. The spotter might be nice to have in camp, but I never wished for one while hunting.

Light, minimalist and well watered is how to go.

Steve

12-May-13
Steve, sounds good to me, thanks. Tony

19-May-13
My GPS is here! Gila wilderness here I come Saturday !

19-May-13
My GPS is here! Gila wilderness here I come Saturday !

19-May-13
Access is going to still be a big problem as some of the major trails into a big share of the burn will remain closed. Although the forest is open you won't be able to use the trails but can still go cross country which is a major hurdle because of the ruggedness of the area.

A new Forest Closure order should be forth coming soon and it will give the specifics, but from talking to John Kramer, the main Wilderness man in the Forest Service, he didn't sound very encouraging.

I don't want to be pessimistic but with all the hype of everybody slobbering at the mouth over 16B, I think it will make law breakers out of many enthusiastic hunters wanting to charge into the main burn area.

19-May-13
If you are going to 16b this year just go in and have fun. That's what it's all about. If you hunt smart you will be into elk daily. Make sure you have good boots and be ready to wear them out. It's a great unit and will test you. There are a lot of elk but you still have to hunt them. It's no walk in the park.

26-May-13
Has anyone done any scouting yet?

27-May-13
I was going to go this memorial weekend , I called the forest service and they informed me that the trails were closed and could not get a straight answer when they would open them. Really disappointed .

27-May-13
Can't you walk next to the trail?

27-May-13
They won't even let you park at the trail head.

27-May-13
Park at Snow lake.

You have probably seen this map already, it indicates open and closed trails, hopefully we get lots of easy steady rain this summer to help the ground cover, if they get some turd floaters it could get pretty dangerous in some areas.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5406521.pdf

27-May-13
Rain on the west coast anything in elk country?

27-May-13
Refer to the Gila National Forest web site. You'll find all relevant closures listed there under alerts and warnings, closure order. Also, the main trail into the wilderness from willow creek (FT 151) remains closed. Up to 5,000 dollar fine if you're caught in these areas. The million dollar question is whether any of these areas will open before the hunt starts.

27-May-13
Looks to me like you can walk all over that area. Nothing is closed but the trails themselves and the small area closure on the North.

28-May-13
The small closure area on the north is rather encompassing in that it effectively stops you from parking anywhere near the Willow Creek Area to access the trailhead area on or near Tr # 151.

You can theoretically go into the burn area but in most of the areas you just about need the trails to get very far in. All of this is by design to keep people out and supposedly safe.

06-Jun-13
Any rain move threw lately? Forecast says it might.

07-Jun-13
Scattered thunderstorms at best. Not much rain still.

09-Jun-13
Rain and hail on Friday in Silver City! Looked like a decent amount. GF sent some picks, enough to create a small lake in her back yard! Hope it continues.

13-Jun-13
Hoping for rain, had some weather on the west coast this last weekend. Anything make it down to 16b?

13-Jun-13
No.

Too early for the monsoon although they are calling for scattered storms Friday and Saturday. Probably just lightning to start more fires.

Still no action on most trail work as they basically haven't gotten the monies they hoped for and some of the trails received extensive fire and resulting flood damage. May take a long time.

13-Jun-13
Very nasty fire over on the Black Range moving southwest, threatening the village of Kingston. Burning through some country that hasn't seen a fire in over 100 years. I live in Lordsburg, and looking north towards the Gila, looked like some pretty good weather building up there. I hope the Gila got soaked. COME ONE SEPTEMBER!!!

24-Jun-13
Any moisture hittin the dust?

25-Jun-13
Dry, Dry Dry! Weather forecasters are calling for more hot and dry for at least another week. The monsoon is sorely needed. Much of the low country in the Gila is as dry as I have ever seen it with little to no spring and tank water, and elk are concentrating in the river bottoms both high and low. Irrigation water is at a premium (not much). I have over 40 head of elk, half bulls, up to 20 mule deer, 2 dozen turkey, half dozen Coues deer in my fields everynight. I'm hoping the rain comes soon, which will disperse most of the elk, so my horses and mules will have a little feed left for this fall.

25-Jun-13
Can I hunt at Stoney's with my 16b tag????HAHA

01-Jul-13
Looks like rain in the Gila! Thank you Lord! Does anyone know about woodland park area?

03-Jul-13
Whoo hoooo! How much rain is hitting the ground out there? I'm hoping this front dumps on the gila for days.

Keep us posted gila residents! Thank you in advance.

11-Jul-13
Looks like the Gila fire is 80 percent contained. Total damage so far is about 136,000 acres. Sad. The good news it has been getting rain! And the forecast shows more rain next week. Keep praying for lots of long slow rain! Give the land a chance to soak it up.

12-Jul-13
The rains have been good for most of the Gila so far and in fact better than usual for early July.

Now the bad news. After talking to the Wilderness District people yesterday it doesn't look good for getting Tr. # 151 open all the way down from Willow Creek and they aren't budging on opening the Willow Creek Trailhead and surrounding access to the north end. Basically the US Forest Service doesn't have any more money to open trails and what they thought they had was taken away or shuffled around to their other priorities i.e. the Silver Fire.

The Silver Fire has forced the FS to close the entire Aldo Leopold Wilderness even though it burned on most the southern end of it, and is funneling needed funds that otherwise might have been used to help rehabilitate the Whitewater/Baldy complex trails and access.

If these closures remain in effect it is going to force all the hunters into a much smaller portion of the wilderness areas in 16B.

The USFS has plenty of money to fight fires and hire bookoos of firefighters and all of their related equipment (unbelievable amounts of money)but they absolutely won't fund the rehabilitation of the burn areas, to any degree, to take care of the needed trail work and especially for recreation and hunting. We (recreationists and hunters) take the back seat on the priority list.

12-Jul-13
Stoney

I would think that the AL would be open by August. The Silver fire is fully contained and with all the recent rains, likely out.

My guess....would be that closures will almost exactly mirror what we experienced last year in te wilderness. I believe crowding will be even less of a potential issue (which I don't believe it was) than last year.

With all the rain and forecast calling for consistently more, the Regrowth in the WB fire from last year will be an elk magnet. Might require some boot leather to get in there with all the main trails closed, but the guys going the extra mile(s) should have a great hunt in B this year.

Your hunters included.

Have a great season!

Steve

19-Jul-13
101 comments now 102 on this thread why stop now. Been checking the weather daily in the surrounding towns of this unit and it usually shows chance of thunder showers 30-50 percent. I heard they got some good rain. Has it amounted to anything substantial?

20-Jul-13
Yes, and still raining! That's the good news, now for the not so good news.. I called the ranger district down there to find out when some of the trails would be open , I was informed that they have money to work on the trails to get them open BUT the money has not been released to get crews over to some these trails. Probably not till the end of the year. Even if the got the money now, still would not be able to work on them till after September . Here is the number 575 536-9461. If anyone finds any more info please let us know. Thanks . Straight shooting.

31-Jul-13
Just called the ranger station , was told Ben Lilly campground still closed and no plans to open it this year.

01-Aug-13
My sources tell me bulls topping out well, everything green. They think this year will be as good or better than last year which was fantastic for my group in 15 and 16a. Have a great hunt!

01-Aug-13
I've hunted it 3 times on foot so my advice for where to go won't help much if you have horses. All i can say is it's a hard hunt and you better be in shape. I've seen monsoons there, and I was there during a terrible drought when the cows were sucking water out of a mud hole. some big bulls though, but I would shoot the first good one I could because you may not get another chance. Good luck.

14-Aug-13
The Gila has now opened most its trails, however, there some key areas still not open. Kingston, lower Gallinas, and iron creek campgrounds along hwy. 152 are still closed. willow creek, Gilita, Ben Lilly , and south fork Negrito Campgrounds on the Reserve Ranger District still closed. Bursum Road also is closed. NMDOT is working on it. Forest roads , silver creek rd. 523 closed to traffic Middle Percha rd. 40 and Quaking Aspen rd. 537 closed. Forest trails, silver creek 146, spring canyon 721 and Mimbres River 77and 78 closed. I hope this helps some of you. It almost here boys, Straight shooting!

14-Aug-13

Stoney's embedded Photo
Stoney's embedded Photo
Tr. 151 going south out of Willow Creek is in terrible shape. Copper Canyon pictured here is totally a mess and even worse is Turkey Feather Creek which is totally gone and impassible with livstock and would be very tough even a foot.

No trail money and major reconstruction needed with some of the trail going to be entirely relocated. It should get done in 2014 but don't hold your breath.

12-Sep-13
Any reports yet from the early season 16b guys? Chompin at the bit here!

12-Sep-13
SD

Ya think??

I'm useless right now to anyone. Packing in on Tuesday....

12-Sep-13
I talked to a girl who had a small 6x6 in her truck said they hunted over water holes. The bugling was minimal and calling was unproductive. This was on the 4th, not too helpful now, I hope they are screaming when you get there. Good luck.

12-Sep-13
A good friend of mine has an Outfitting business in 16B, I talked to him monday evening. 2 for 3 in the 1st season. A couple of 300 class bull taken over water holes. He said the bulls are beginning to talk a little and the grass is plentiful. He said the elk are fatter this year than he has ever seen. Have a great safe hunt!

13-Sep-13
First hunt was great, they were talking and coming into calls just had to wait a while! Some days were better than others but thats hunting!

16-Sep-13
Well about to head out and looks like things will be interesting with all the recent flooding. We have gone through plans A, B, and C, and still not sure what we are going to do. Can't cross the river to get where we wanted to go, horses are iffy with the mud, and not even sure which trailheads are accessible. Bringing gear for everything imaginable, gonna stay flexible and positive, and do our best. Any second season reports coming in yet?

16-Sep-13
It's going to be perfect weather!! LOL

16-Sep-13
Closures are minimal. Roads are open. If in doubt, check the FS website or call them direct. Trails may be in bad shape in areas, but the elk are still there!

You'll make it happen.

01-Jun-15
Sure enjoyed this thread...

01-Jun-15
Sarcasm Tony??

; )

01-Jun-15
Just saying this was a great thread starting in April all the way up to the start of the season... The flooding part at the end I could of lived without...

01-Jun-15
Yeah, it's cool to go back and read this in retrospect. That hunt in '13 was a serious adventure! We all went from drought and praying for rain, to praying it would stop. That flooding was biblical in proportion, the damage unreal. The crowds in what little of the accessible area that was open were really bad. That said, my bud killed a great bull and I passed up a small one. We had a great hunt and man what I wouldn't give to be able to draw that tag again under more normal circumstances.

01-Jun-15
Nate I'm going back this year for redemption. You can live it out vicariously this year. Best I can do ??

01-Jun-15
Good luck guys I will be to the east of you in 21A.

01-Jun-15
Yep, good thread. I too will be trying out this unit for the first time. Going scouting a few times this summer to rule in or rule out a few places.

02-Jun-15
I'll be hunting 16B this year as I did with my Dad last year. In 2013, we were in 16D during the "Biblical Floods". My Dad killed a cool bull on the first day of our hunt before the rains started. He delivered it to the processor and then returned to help me fill my tag. We had a blast for the duration of the hunt. When the hunt ended, the rains didn't. Our trucks were buried. Knowing the obligations to work and family I had back home I was a pretty unpleasant camping partner. Eventually I hitched a ride to Socorro where I was picked up so I could return to work. I later came back to retrieve my Dad who would have been content to stay down there for a few more months.

In January of this year my Dad died unexpectedly. We shared some incredible hunts together. In fact, just before he died we had accompanied Bowsiter Adventurewriter on his OIL NM Oryx Hunt. The incredible artist/sculptor he is, Adventurewriter has graciously volunteered to convert one of the ivories of my Dad's last bull into a ring for me. That ring will be priceless!

Even so, I would trade it in a second if I could trade it for the decision not to leave the campsite where my Dad and I were stranded. I would much rather hunker down with my Dad for days on end in a torrential downpour than to do anything else in the world. As it was, I was unpleasant company while my truck was buried in the mud as I fretted the dissatisfaction of my customers as I missed appointments.

We all anticipate our hunts. We dream of how they could/should be. Make an effort this and every year to ensure that this hunt is one that will be remembered even more than it was anticipated. The memory might be more important than the anticipation was. Both are more important than antlers or taxidermy.

02-Jun-15
Well said Jesse. Sorry for your loss. I am sure that your Dad will be with you when you release that arrow this year. God Bless.

02-Jun-15
That's rough, Jesse. Elk camp will be a bit different for you, But special, no doubt.

02-Jun-15
The experiences is what this is about. You were fortunate to spend some quality time with your dad on a few hunts the way you did. There's something about hunting with dad that makes experience better. This year Dad will be with you on your hunt, maybe not physically, but he will be there. Breathe it all in and when it's over, dedicate it to the man who taught you what you know...

My dad and I have gone on some adventurous hunts together. Last year 10 miles deep in the Rubys Mountains for a week at 9-10k feet. This year will be further in and for more days. At first I was putting too much pressure on him to get into better shape. I had to tell myself to relax and enjoy it - the preparation, the practice and the upcoming hunt. Not sure how many more opportunities we will have as he gets older to go one like this.

I know worst case scenario we can likely find a water hole and hold up there if he gets tired. And we know the right water holes can be productive in the right conditions.

Less than 3 months now...

04-Jun-15
Good luck Jesse. I'll be there a few days early for the second hunt. I'll let you know where my rv is set up in case you need help packing him out.

13-Jun-15
Anyone who can share more pics of the unit to get me much appreciated amigos!

30-Jul-15
30 day pre hunt notice!!

15-Aug-15
2 weeeks until we hit the road. Viper Tricks are shooting accurately. Wont be long now until the first bugle fires up the adrenaline and the race is on.

22-Aug-15

22-Aug-15

22-Aug-15

22-Aug-15

22-Aug-15

22-Aug-15

22-Aug-15

22-Aug-15

22-Aug-15

22-Aug-15

23-Aug-15
Thanks for the pics trophy! Also, thanks for the phone call recently. I haven't been able to get down there to scout, but am fortunate to consider that country the playground of my younger years. My base camp will be set up about 10 miles northwest of where I killed my very first elk with a bow 20 years ago. I'm fortunate to also have a deer tag, bear tag and turkey tag. I had those same four tags last year and didn't fill a single one. Even so, last year's hunt will, without a doubt be one of the most memorable hunts I will ever have. This year I hope to punch at least one of those tags...preferable elk. Good luck to you amigo!

23-Aug-15
You got it Jesse. You should have a great hunt. I'm heading back the weekend after next to see if anyone will be hunting in "my" preferred spot during the first hunt.

23-Aug-15
You know where my base camp will be so feel free to stop by....with some luck I might need your help with a pack-out! Haha

23-Aug-15
Trophyhill thanks for the visual teasers. Looks green green and Greener down there! Packing the gear and getting ready for hitting the Hwy come Saturday.

23-Aug-15
Good luck to you and your pop, Tony!

Redemption year.......

24-Aug-15
Steve,

Redemption amigo!... I'll feel a lot better once we get through the long horseback ride to base camp. Hopefully no rodeos on the way in...

24-Aug-15
No rodeos....he's got good stock.

I watched Jason Carter and crew the other day on that Ridge reaper show hunting 16b on LO tags. Very interesting. Mostly because they were on LO tags in B, secondly because they were hunting out of the truck every morning. No horses, no bivy in. I would guess they were on private on the western side, on the border with 22. Lots more private over there. Country looked more like what you would see on that side of the unit.

I believe you guys will have a great hunt!

24-Aug-15
I watched that one too. I believe they said 16D. I had to rewind a few times and listen as at first I thought they said B as well.

24-Aug-15
16b LO tags? I want one!

24-Aug-15
Looked and hunted like a D hint, but I rewound a bunch of times and though he said "B"

Call him up and ask him EXACTLY where he was! I'm sure he'll tell you.....

24-Aug-15
There IS a guy on the eastern side of the unit that gets like, 2 tags/year. Back in 2006 or 7, I asked an outfitter buddy to ask him what he wanted for 1 tag and how much if we bought both.

$8500 for 1.....$17k for 2......

I drew 16c that year so I didn't need to cough up the cash for the LO tags......as if!

24-Aug-15
I also spoke to that landowner. He wanted to sell them with fully guided hunts and like you said, only had one of two available.

Good luck Steve. You have the first hunt or 2nd?

25-Aug-15
Didn't draw this year, Tony. You and your dad got my tags!

Pigs in Texas with my son and a nice group in January and Aoudads in NM.

10-Sep-15
Any 16b bulls hit the ground yet?

11-Sep-15
I have a picture of one that was taken a few days ago but no permission to post it from the hunter, All I can say is that it is a big bull.

11-Sep-15
I believe I saw the same pic......holy crap.....expect it will soon show up here.

11-Sep-15
You're killim' me Smalls

18-Sep-15
Saw an unofficial 360ish rack in the back of a truck at the Winston General store today. The proud hunter was guided by Wilderness Outfitters I think he said. Great bull!

18-Sep-15
Would love to see that picture, we actually hunted with that outfit before Curtis took it over. Great country

18-Sep-15
Curtis is top notch

08-May-21
I ran across this story and enjoyed it immensely. Thanks for all the contributions that you and others shared online!

20-May-21
I remember this thread, takes me back to some great memories!

20-May-21

NorCalVineyards's embedded Photo

20-May-21

Never forget it

21-May-21

One more just for grins. Dad and I right before we departed for 10 days deep into the interior. Little did we know what we were in for.

21-May-21
I’m all eyes...this should be good!

21-May-21
Nice write up in that magazine !

21-May-21

• Sitka Gear