KHunter 04-Aug-21
Firsty 05-Aug-21
Firsty 05-Aug-21
KHunter 06-Aug-21
Brotsky 06-Aug-21
KJ-MN 18-May-23
KJ-MN 18-May-23
02-Apr-14
I drew a wyoming unit 16 elk tag (Shirley mtn). Pretty excited about this hunt, I have heard good things about the quality and numbers of elk in the area. I plan to spend a couple weekends scouting it and I have spoken to one hunter who had the tag 2 years ago, but wondering if any of you could offer some advice on the area. I plan to devote most of my time during the archery hunt in September and probably the last week and half of september. I probably would pass on a bull smaller than 300", but with my bow anything 300-320" would be a shooter for me. I've heard the elk are on Shirley mountain until the snow flies then they move of into the low country. Are there elk in that lower desert country in septmember or will I have to stick to Shirley mtn? I would rather see fewer elk and kill a smaller bull and avoid the crowds, than compete with a lot of hunters- so I am wondering if there are elk on public land in september outside of Shirley mtn. Does anyone know if Bennett mountain or Pedro Mountains hold any elk?

Any help would be appreciated!

03-Apr-14
I've never drawn this tag , but spent much time in this area. The elk use a lot of the deep breaks out in the desert badland areas . They just seem to come out of nowhere sometimes. Only scouting will help you find these bulls.

04-Apr-14
I'v been looking at 16 also. good luck would like to know how your hunt go's

03-Aug-21
J.C., I saw your old post regarding Wyo 26 elk. My son has this tag this year and I want to help him bowhunt it. Was wondering if you ever drew it and if so if you could tell me any pointers about the area ? Thanks for any info that you may have, Bob

03-Aug-21
I'm not sure a couple weekends will give your hunt justification..

04-Aug-21

KHunter's embedded Photo
not shirley mtn
KHunter's embedded Photo
not shirley mtn
KHunter's embedded Photo
Also not Shirley mtn. snuck in to 35 yds of this bull sleeping in the sun and he still busted me….
KHunter's embedded Photo
Also not Shirley mtn. snuck in to 35 yds of this bull sleeping in the sun and he still busted me….
KHunter's embedded Photo
prob biggest bull I saw. Smart son of a gun had my number, just could not get close.
KHunter's embedded Photo
prob biggest bull I saw. Smart son of a gun had my number, just could not get close.
Never set foot on Shirley mtn during the hunt…

05-Aug-21
Loose lips sink ships Khunter........

05-Aug-21
Loose lips sink ships Khunter........

06-Aug-21
16 is a very very large unit, SM is but one piece of it. And I will never draw it again…

06-Aug-21
Yup, lots of units in that area take lots of points...and for good reason. My best buddy spent 12 of his in that part of the state last year and we killed a cranker. Love Wyoming!

18-May-23
KHunter or Brotsky. I just drew 16-2 and was wondering if you'd be available to visit by phone or email about your hunt experience. I have a pretty good handle on where I'm going to hunt and have access to some private. Would like to visit with either of you if possible. Thanks in advance

18-May-23
KHunter or Brotsky. I just drew 16-2 and was wondering if you'd be available to visit by phone or email about your hunt experience. I have a pretty good handle on where I'm going to hunt and have access to some private. Would like to visit with either of you if possible. Thanks in advance

• Sitka Gear