BadlandsRoger 06-Feb-19
moose talk 16-May-19
standswittaknife 21-May-19
t-roy 21-May-19
Mad Trapper 22-May-19
Quinn @work 18-Feb-21
Jims 20-Feb-21
09-Jan-15
I currently have 13 WY NR moose preference points and am looking for suggestions on units where I could possibly draw this year and have a reasonable chance at a 40" bull. I'm looking to go non-guided, do it yourself with my bow. I have hunted moose DIY in CO, NH and VT. I have researched the draw data every year and have applied every year but always seem to be 1 point shy of drawing the tag. I don't mind knocking on doors or paying a reasonable trespass fee if needed.

If anyone has any suggestions please send me a PM. I'm not looking for a hand out and would gladly return the favor with information on Colorado Big Game. Your info would be kept confidential. If anyone is looking to tag a long on a WY moose hunt if I draw I'd welcome the help as I'd be doing this hunt solo. Thank you in advance for any help on this once in a lifetime hunt.

09-Jan-15
unit 5 a chance at a 40 inch moose a chance at seeing wolves and a chance at seeing a grizz and a slim chance at the tag with 13. But what the heck hunting is a game of chances. Download wyomings draw odds for 2014 nonresident moose and what ever the units took to draw last year add 1 and see where your 13 gets you. good luck in the draw.

09-Jan-15
4, 5, 6, 10, 17, 28, 21, 23, 25, 35 are units where someone with 13 points drew last year.

5, 10, 17, 28, 21 are units that everyone with 13 points drew last year.

I think casper's advice is good on the unit.

10-Jan-15
Sent you a PM

10-Jan-15
INBOWDUDE hunted 5 last season and never saw a descent bull with a great outfitter, horses and he really hunted hard! I hunted private land with the same outfitter in unit 25 and saw lots of moose over 40 with 13 points.

10-Jan-15

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
October 3rd, 2013

Arrowed @ 15 yards in Area 5....DIY solo hunt.

Not the greatest photo, but I cleared willow brush for half an hour just to get that one angle....LOL! That bull measures 38" wide, Would have measured 42" if not for a bent palm. Same palm had the top points broken off, so I assume he injured it in velvet?

Had a close encounter with a comparable bull two days prior, but couldn't get an arrow in him. Also had a deer tag for the same area, and as luck would have it, stumbled onto a dandy bull...pushing 50"...two days after I filled my moose tag.

Recap: hunted a total of nine days in some pretty nasty weather...and saw three bulls I felt worthy of my tag. Also saw a couple smaller bulls and a few cows/calves. If I had it to do over again, I would go back in a heartbeat.

10-Jan-15
nice one PAV

10-Jan-15
Redman is correct. PAV had the snow; when I hunted it was warm (by their standards) and we had no snow. 1 day we had some flurries and that's when we saw game moving. I hunted National forest, state land, up high, down low, we just couldn't catch a break in mid-October. Hard hunting last year. Perhaps bad luck, bad weather. Great Outfitter but it just didn't come together.

10-Jan-15
All good suggestions above...

Hard part about the draw is there are so many people with high point numbers that you never know when they are going to cash in.

10-Jan-15
I'd suggest 23 & 24. There's lots of national forest and some good bulls.

10-Jan-15
Way to go, pav! I was wondering how you did on that tag.

10-Jan-15
Guys I really appreciate the info and the PM's. Thank you, you've been a big help. Nice bull Pav. I'd shoot that any day of the season.

I've been looking at unit 4 particularly the landownership maps. Is anyone familiar with 4 that could tell me if there's enough public for a decent hunt? Any of those private ranches on the New Fork or Willow creek offer trespass hunts or receptive to door knockers in the summer? Please PM.

Unfortunately I got in the game when they did the $7 preference points like everyone else. Been chasin decent units ever since.

11-Jan-15
I've looked at unit 4 while in WY a couple of years ago thinking it might bea place to consider if I ever get to that point. I'm one point behind you on the point game. Almost all of the moose habitat in 4 is along the narrow river bottom and the vast majority of that is private land. The are a few small pieces of public, but I wouldn't want to burn points there relying only on public land to hunt.

11-Jan-15
I killed my bull this year in 25, but tagged along with another hunter for 3 days in 4. It's a great area but if you don't have access to private you may find your opportunities limited. I think the odds of drawing an area 4 license in 2015 with 13 points are extremely slim. The outfitter that Inbowdude, Redman and I used will almost certainly have at least 2 guys with 14 or 15 points apply for that area. With only 2 tags available, I can't see one of them being available for the 13 point pool.

With the wolf and grizzly situation, the demand for tags in those areas still unaffected by them seems to be increasing at a greater rate each year. In my opinion, if you really want to draw with 13 points in 2015, look only at those areas that took 12 last year.

11-Jan-15
Game a chance for sure, with 14 last year I thought I'd draw, but didn't...You never know! As Steke said, the demand keep changing each year now and we still don't know what WY will do with tag numbers or the point situation....

11-Jan-15
If anyone draws # 23 or 26 feel free to reach out to me....

I harvested mine in #15 but they have cut way back in that unit....

MOJO to ya Ike!! this is your Wyo Moose Year!!

Good luck, Robb

12-Jan-15
Quinn: I hunted Area 5 for 33 days this fall (elk and cow moose). Biggest bull I saw might've stretched 40".

PM me for intel if you draw a tag.

20-Jan-15
I'm in the same boat I have 14 points now and I have been applying for unit 1 but every year it point creeps and I'm always one point behind!!! I don't know what to do I'm sick of waiting and planning around the wyoming moose draw and just want to get a tag and have a chance at a mature bull but the only area I know is area 1 so im not sure if I should keep applying for area 1 or try something new??

Aaron

20-Jan-15

pav's embedded Photo
pav's embedded Photo
Aaron,

Unless, you get extremely lucky...Area 1 is going to be out of reach for quite some time. Your point pool is actually two points behind for that area. The NR chart reflects tags drawn in yellow and your point pool in blue. Keep in mind, the number of people in your point pool is substantial, so even when that pool gets to the top...it will still take some luck.

I was in the point pool in front of you (i.e. would have been at 15 points going in this year) and bailed in 2013 for a mid-tier unit tag. No regrets.

20-Jan-15
Still searching huh Quinn? Not an easy decision when burning all those points.

20-Jan-15
If I were you I'd pick a unit 2 points below what you got to make sure you draw. If you don't burn those points before they drop the NR percentage to 10% you will be totally screwed. Do an archive search and look close at units 23 or 26. Fewer wolves down there.

20-Jan-15
I drew 1 a few years back. If anyone wants advice on unit 1 let me know. I would certainly hurry up and draw in case they cut nonres tags in 1/2! Hopefully they will start issuing a bunch of wolf/grizz tags so the moose population will rebound and moose and other other species numbers will increase!

20-Jan-15
mule,

Got 3 units I'm contemplating. Waiting to see if the "screw the NR" bill gets out of committe to see how aggressive I get. I appreciate everyone's help and PM's.

20-Jan-15
i cant see this bill passing !!!

27-Jan-15
pav,

Thanks for the info I think I'm going to bail on unit 1 not sure what to go for I am thinking unit 26 although that unit is boarderline for me drawing also? I have a question to anyone. Is there a way to find out how many tags they are issuing for 2015 before the draw deadline? If so can someone tell me how to find it?

Thanks Aaron

27-Jan-15
Quotas aren't established for any species until late Apr/early May when the Game Commission meets.

27-Jan-15
bowbearman,

You can call the Fish and Game department and ask for the biologist that handles the area you're considering hunting. The biologist can give you some indication of wether or not the recommended quota will stay the same as last year or be adjusted. It's not 100% until the game commission sets it but the biologist is usually the one to make recommendations for any changes.

Good luck in the draw!

27-Jan-15
I expect unit 1 to go to the 16 point pool and unit 26 to be ate up by the 15 point pool or higher this year.

28-Jan-15
Casper I think your right but I'm trying for 26 anyway!!

Aaron

28-Jan-15
Wow unit 1 & 26 are just one point difference now? Much has changed since I drew in 2011.

10-Feb-15

Garbo's embedded Photo
Garbo's embedded Photo
Quinn == Area 27 2014. Sent you a pm yesterday. This the goofy horned bull I killed on the 14th day the other is the one we encountered on the second day without a chance for a shot. He was with another nice bull that I had at 10yds facing, and could never get a shot. You mentioned area 4, I checked it out also before applying last year. It looks promising also for the amount of points you have. Let me know if you would like to know anymore about 27. It was a difficult area, but if I had another chance at it I think I would do it. One plus for 27 is that the season extends until late November. For an archer that gives you two and a half months. Most of the locals said that the later in the season the better for moose. Once the snow starts to build in the Uinta mountains they head to the lower areas of 27. I a way I wish I could have stuck it out to see that for myself. Good luck on the draw, whatever you decide.

10-Feb-15

Garbo's embedded Photo
Garbo's embedded Photo
Quinn == Pic #2

10-Feb-15
Good looking Bull....

10-Feb-15
Thanks for the info Garbo. Nice "non-typical" bull. Looks like he may have injured his right antler in velvet? I replied to your pM.

11-Feb-15
Ya, I think he was an old fighter. He was broken on one side. He came to me like he wanted to fight. Pretty exciting. My first moose with a bow. Ben a dream forever, got to figure out how to do it again.

05-May-15
No tag for me. As usually probably one point behind every year as point creep continues.

06-May-15
Bummer. Lots of planning for no draw!

04-Feb-19
I would like more information about unit 27. I can see from the maps that public access can be limited but was wondering if anyone above that has hunted it would have any information on what there hunt was like. Was there lots of hunting pressure on the limited public land? Were you satisfied with what you saw? I am looking at drawing several units this year and am looking for help. I have spent time in area 5 and it seems the 40" mark has become a harder challenge in the last ten years. When I was a kid we saw monster bulls off the road every time we elk hunted it. So now I am looking to branch out. My questions are about area 27 but I am also interested to talk about 23, 26, and 24. Thanks in advance.

04-Feb-19
I drew unit 4 about 7-8 years ago and had some encounters with big bulls but ended up shooting a paddle horn with my recurve. There wasn't much public land available and I checked every bit of it, plus some private land that was signed up to allow moose hunters. It was near the end of my hunt and I prayed for one more chance.....couple hours later I had a paddle horn bull literally under my Treestand nibbling on willows, and I accepted the offering. Most tender meat I have ever eaten, and lots of it!

I killed him hunting solo on public land but earlier the Game and Fish office in Pinedale told me of a local rancher with a couple miles of river bottom choked with willows, who might allow me to bowhunt there - I beat feet over there, pleaded my case and was hunting that ranch an hour later. (It helped that I am a farmer myself and could talk about cattle and making hay and such). I Saw bigger bulls there but just couldn't get close enough for a shot. Hunting willow bottoms was tough, which is why I put up a Treestand in a cottonwood on a peninsula where the river made a 180 degree turn and the moose cut across it.

Gave the rancher some choice cuts of my young bull, sent them a Christmas card, and took a PBS buddy and his son there the next year for his bull hunt. The rancher even let us camp there and fish for big trout next to where we camped. One day, the rancher came flying into camp, all excited about this big bull standing in the hay field next to the house; my buddy refused the chance, because that's not how he wanted to kill his bull.....

04-Feb-19
Lots of changes in 4 years

04-Feb-19
Hunted unit 27, 19 years ago, 2 buddies hunted the next year we all took bulls in 4 days or less unguided with Archery . one bull missed P&Y by inch. Back then one could draw with zero points. Was not considered a big or even average bull unit back then. Last year a guy drew with 19 points, everybody trying to get out of the point creep game no matter what. geez he could have drew back then with zero points , a number of years and saved all those app and point fees, but who knew.

The year I drew only 5 NR applied the 6th NR tag was sold to a resident. $950 NR down $35 resident. This year an outfitter is really advertising it as trophy unit. Back 2000 I didn’t come accross any outfitter listing hunts in 27. It May well be a trophy unit these days especially if if he has access to western side big private ranches which is where I hear the Eastman’s deer hunt. There is plenty of public land available. One of our guys shot his on private in the south central part of the unit along the Utah border. Back then he let us hunt for the asking.

I have 14 points going in this year and will be bailing on Wy moose as a lost cause donation. 2-4 years behind with no chance to catch up in the near future. Beside drew. Montana moose tag last year and shot a dandy, so two Shrias down and I am out of Wy draw. Out dated info on 27 yet ever tidbit helps. Hope you draw and have a great hunt.

04-Feb-19
Still haven’t drawn my tag. Point behind every year. Just doing a preference point this year and next as I have other great hunts lined up that will take up a bunch of time away.

Good luck to all that apply for WY moose.

05-Feb-19
I have 19 points. Recommendations??

05-Feb-19
Mad Trapper If I had 19 I would hunt 26 I live down in the southern part of Wyoming and many people around here including some of my guide buddies say stay clear of 23, and 24 and suggest 26 or 5 is also never a bad bet. I have hunted 5 several times for moose and havent seen what people say is there. 26 I have seen good bulls the trick with 26 is sorting through lots of moose to find a good moose. Can make for a great hunt though.

05-Feb-19
Garbo. You seem to be the most recent hunter in 27 on hear would you mind chiming in with a little bit more of your experiences? I talked to the biologist who suggested a few things and informed me there are some nice bulls still being taken on the public land. Yet it is always nice to talk with someone that has the real life experience of the hunt.

05-Feb-19
Best advice I can give is avoid area 35 at all costs. I do that take a couple years ago, and while I did end up killing a bowl, there were basically no moves around Best advice I can give is avoid area 35 at all costs. I do that take a couple years ago, and while I did end up killing a bowl, there were basically no moose around. Game and fish personnel that I spoke to told me that the majority of the herd had move west into 27

05-Feb-19
Mad Trapper - check your PM's

05-Feb-19

tradhop's embedded Photo
tradhop's embedded Photo
2017 Unit 23. Saw 3 moose in 24 hours. I wouldn't hesitate to go there again.

06-Feb-19
Oh my God, I just reread my post on here. Voice texting. I hope you could all translate LOL

06-Feb-19
35 has never been unit with high population the year I hunt 27 a game and fish employee was hunting 35 they had a hard time finding a respectable bull back then. Found one way out in the sage flats a long ways from any forest he was hanging around a small island of stunted birch trees . There’s a reason they issue next to nothing for tags the past 20 years it’s fringe habitat to say the least. None the less somebody will use next to max points to get that tag again this year. A tag in hand chasing moose is better than chasing point creep and every increasing app cost.

06-Feb-19
Couldn't translate just thought you had a few too many. LOL

06-Feb-19
Quinn, that is always a possibility LOL

06-Feb-19
Biggest bull I've ever seen in the lower 48 was standing in the Salt River eating aquatic weeds in Unit 23. Where this bull was he was on public ground, but access in that valley is tricky. I'm not sure how big he was and it was over a decade ago, but I've seen a lot of bulls and he was a monster. I've also seen some good Idaho bulls just to the West of there, but there are bigger bulls elsewhere in Idaho. I'm not as familiar with the rest of Wyoming so I can't be help there.

16-May-19
Well I drew a 27 moose tag. After talking with the biologist and looking at the distance from my house to the unit it made the most sense. I am excited to hunt the early archery and the late season. I am going to hunt this unit hard and give every hint I have gotten a solid chance. If anyone has anymore advice I will be all ears.

21-May-19
Best of luck!

21-May-19
Good luck on your hunt, moose talk!

22-May-19
Good luck and keep us posted.

18-Feb-21
Moose talk,

How'd you do in unit 27?

20-Feb-21
If anyone needs info about unit 1 moose let me know. I spent a lot of time there and got to know the unit and bulls very well. I haven't kept tabs on pref pts but am sure it likely is one of the tougher units to draw in Wyo.

• Sitka Gear