midwest 14-Nov-18
fisherick 14-Nov-18
lewis 14-Nov-18
Bake 14-Nov-18
Bake 14-Nov-18
rooster 14-Nov-18
Hiker 15-Nov-18
17-Aug-15
Needing recommendations for a camp grill. Nothing fancy. Will be grilling hot dogs, hamburgers, and hopefully fresh elk.

Would prefer something that runs off standard grilling propane tank

MUST be compact. We have very limited space

Thanks

17-Aug-15

bigeasygator's Link
I found this one in the latest edition of Western Hunter Magazine and am thinking I might buy it for elk camp next year. While it's not propane, it seems like a slick design that works off charcoal or off of your campfire. I think it retails for right around $50.

17-Aug-15
I am not sure how compact you are looking to get, but we really like our coleman road trip grill.

Folds down to about 1' x 3'. Obviously not good for a backpack trip but truck camping it works great. Can get an adapter to run off a regular propane tank rather than the cylinders. We use it all the time.

17-Aug-15
Both Charbroil and Weber make excellent compact grills. They can run on 1 lb bottles or adaptor hose available for big tanks.

17-Aug-15
Have used a 2 burner Camp Chef a couple times now. While not the cheapest I think they are by far the best. The legs fold up and it fits into a travel bag. It will run off 1# bottles or a 20# bottle. Can get different griddles for it as well.

17-Aug-15
Thanks. THis was meant to be on elk forum, fat fingers

Needs to be compact for road trips. Limited space on truck once I get all my other crap in :)

17-Aug-15
X2 Rob Nye. I have a compact Weber that runs off 1lb bottles that does a great job. Check em out.

17-Aug-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
This is the portable Weber I use. It's okay and I've had it several years.

17-Aug-15

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
It locks together solid and doesn't take up much space. I've also hooked it up to my pig LP tank.

17-Aug-15

r-man's embedded Photo
r-man's embedded Photo
from Walmart .com Coleman

17-Aug-15
x2 on the Coleman Road trip. I have 3, 1 for the boat, 1 for my hunting camp and 1 for the 5th wheel. I love em'.

17-Aug-15
I don't think you'll be grilling anything on the Coleman stove.

17-Aug-15
I've got a Weber like Midwest's. Works well and breaks down easy.

17-Aug-15
I'll second the portable Weber "Go Anywhere" grill mentioned above. Really solid performer at a great price.

I got the fancier Weber Q 1200 this spring and it is awesome, but I am a grill snob. I have more invested in my 2 grills and smoker than all the appliances in my kitchen!

18-Aug-15
I have the fancier Weber and the compact one like Midwest's, and the bigger Coleman. The compact Weber is the one that always seems to end up in my base camps. It's heading to another elk, bear and moose camp this Thursday.

18-Aug-15

huntmaster's embedded Photo
huntmaster's embedded Photo
I bought this one from Sam's Club. I use it when we take the travel camper and also tent camping. It's plenty big enough but also small enough to pack for my needs.

18-Aug-15
I have one like Midwest's but it also has a hose like huntmaster's so I can use it with a 20lb tank or with a 1lb tank with an adapter. I use it at deer camp, elk camp and on the big boat/beach.

18-Aug-15
Whichever way you go, get the adapter that Cheesehead Mike mentioned as it gives you good flexibility.

18-Aug-15

SmoothieJonez's embedded Photo
SmoothieJonez's embedded Photo
Weber Q100

**edited** - missed the compact part. This is a portable grill, but not compact.

I've had Q100 for about 10years. A friend of mine who's had his even longer, lobbied for me to purchase it. Never had a problem and lights up on first click. I use it in all seasons, for camping, tailgating and home. Lots of accessories to add on as well. $169.99 Rarely is it ever on sale, but well worth the price. You won't be disappointed.

*Portable propane gas grill with 189-square-inch cooking area and 8,500-BTU stainless-steel burner

*Made of cast aluminum with painted finish and glass-reinforced nylon frame; weather-resistant handle

*Porcelain-enameled cast-iron cooking grate; push-button ignition; adjustable burner valve; drip pan

*Runs on a 14.1-ounce or 16.4-ounce LP cylinder (sold separately)

*Measures 20-1/2 inches long by 27 inches wide by 23-1/2 inches high; 5-year limited warranty

13-Nov-18

Lokhart's Link
Just my two cents...sorry for bumping...

I am a big BBQ guy. In fact, I BBQ about 4-5x every week. That's right! 70% of my meals are cooked on the grill or BBQ using charcoal/wood.

I used to love gas in apt living, but once I went old school, I never went back to gas. Gas is only good for grilling burgers and steaks. I can get that same flavor on my stovetop. With charcoal/wood, you can BBQ low and slow. With gas, you really can't cook low and slow because the gas grills suck up more moisture and the food usually comes out the dryer.

Charcoal grills are usually eyesores, so if you're an image freak, stainless is your best bet. But to me, it would be just furniture. If you're not into the veneer, then I suggest the Char-Griller 5050 https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-campfire-grill/ That's right, Char-Griller. I personally use the Char-griller for all my exterior cooking. They make fantastic grills, aimed at the home-BBQer.

They started out with the basic cylinder model, with a modular firebox attachment. They have a new product, and it's currently being sold at Lowes. The 5050! This one has the gas and the BBQ. So you have everything you need to really experiment with low and slow or have a quick grill on gas. As a homebrewer, you might find BBQ'ing as fun as brewing, and just as time-consuming. Mild warning with C-Grillers: they are screwed together pretty simply, so they may appear not as sturdy if not properly tightened up, making it feel wobbly. Don't be fooled. A good ratchet will tighten it up. They make great products for entry/intermediate level, and they sell mods/parts for all their grills.

13-Nov-18

Lokhart's Link
Just my two cents...sorry for bumping...

I am a big BBQ guy. In fact, I BBQ about 4-5x every week. That's right! 70% of my meals are cooked on the grill or BBQ using charcoal/wood.

I used to love gas in apt living, but once I went old school, I never went back to gas. Gas is only good for grilling burgers and steaks. I can get that same flavor on my stovetop. With charcoal/wood, you can BBQ low and slow. With gas, you really can't cook low and slow because the gas grills suck up more moisture and the food usually comes out the dryer.

Charcoal grills are usually eyesores, so if you're an image freak, stainless is your best bet. But to me, it would be just furniture. If you're not into the veneer, then I suggest the Char-Griller 5050 https://bestoutdooritems.com/best-campfire-grill/ That's right, Char-Griller. I personally use the Char-griller for all my exterior cooking. They make fantastic grills, aimed at the home-BBQer.

They started out with the basic cylinder model, with a modular firebox attachment. They have a new product, and it's currently being sold at Lowes. The 5050! This one has the gas and the BBQ. So you have everything you need to really experiment with low and slow or have a quick grill on gas. As a homebrewer, you might find BBQ'ing as fun as brewing, and just as time-consuming. Mild warning with C-Grillers: they are screwed together pretty simply, so they may appear not as sturdy if not properly tightened up, making it feel wobbly. Don't be fooled. A good ratchet will tighten it up. They make great products for entry/intermediate level, and they sell mods/parts for all their grills.

13-Nov-18
Yep another vote Baby Q

13-Nov-18
Weber Q1200 goes with me for truck camping

13-Nov-18
Everything tastes better over an open fire...and you don't have to pack it:)

13-Nov-18
Bake was asking about this for ELK CAMP. I'm thinking anyone recommending a charcoal grill has never elk hunted, or doesn't hunt in the evening, or doesn't mind staying up until 11 pm to eat dinner.... Also must carry multiple bags of charcoal for a 10 day hunt. Who does that?

Small Weber for us. We refill the 1 lb bottles so it's cheap, and can grill steaks, burgers, and brats in a jiffy.

13-Nov-18
Big easy gator- I bought one of these based on the article and thier very nice- compact- well built

13-Nov-18

elkmtngear's embedded Photo
elkmtngear's embedded Photo
This works

13-Nov-18
x2 Jaq. Once you get back to camp it's time to hammer down a meal and hit the sack.

14-Nov-18
I have the Weber as well. It is a great grill and far superior to a Charbroil. I used to use one like Midwest pictured above. I still have it but, the Weber is the ticket.

14-Nov-18

midwest's embedded Photo
midwest's embedded Photo
rooster, Mine is a Weber.

Grilled ribeye with boil-in-bag potatoes and broccoli.

14-Nov-18

fisherick's embedded Photo
fisherick's embedded Photo
I picked this up a couple years ago from Home Depot? I have only used it a couple times on fishing/camping trips and works good. Enough room to cook for 4 people.

14-Nov-18
That black stone tailgater looks very appealing have any of you tried it Lewis

14-Nov-18
After I started this thread I bought the Weber Q100. I really like it. I've used it on a couple elk hunts now, and it's really handy.

14-Nov-18

Bake's embedded Photo
Bake's embedded Photo
You can see my grill how we used it in 2015 in Wyoming. My brother, a non-hunter but excellent cook, cooked up some amazing meals on that hunt on the Weber

14-Nov-18
Midwest, I just took a look and my little grill is a Charbroil. It must be a copy of your Weber. My better grill is the Weber Q1200

15-Nov-18

Hiker's embedded Photo
Hiker's embedded Photo
not propane but very compact and great for hot dogs and hamburgers I can't afford steak :-(

• Sitka Gear