AAA 18-Jul-19
Pete In Fairbanks 19-Jul-19
Thunderflight 19-Jul-19
06-Jan-16
A little history first:

http://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?t=260920

12/23/2015 AK Wildlife Troopers

AK14075385

On 12/23/15, the Office of Special Prosecutions, Fish and Game Unit, Charged Master Guide Thomas G. Shankster, 60 of Aurora CO, with eight counts of Unlawful Acts while acting as a Big Game guide in Game Management Unit (GMU) 19. This investigation began during the fall of 2014, where the Alaska Wildlife Troopers, McGrath Post, accomplished an investigation regarding Shankster and his guiding business “Alaska Trophy Hunts” (ATH) which is primarily based near the Mouth of the Dillinger River and substantiated that Shankster had committed the crime of Wanton Waste on at least five occasions (both Moose and Caribou), failed to report two known violations by his assistant guides (sub-legal sheep and antlers before meat), and committed Unsworn Falsification on at least one Hunt Record showing that meat had been salvaged when in fact it hadn’t. Spoiled meat samples were collected from three caribou and three moose and three sets of caribou antlers, three sets of moose antlers, and a sub legal set of sheep horns were seized as part of the investigation. The scope of this investigation was substantial, requiring extensive asset usage, including both fixed-wing and helicopter, and involved intensive man-power (nearly 1,000 hours) from nine Alaska Wildlife Troopers. At least 41 separate witness and/or suspect interviews were conducted for the investigation in addition to essential evidentiary compilation and a lengthy report documenting the illegal acts. Shankster is to be arraigned in the Aniak District Court on January 20, 2016.

Isn't this the same guy that donated a hunt to the Colorado Bowhunters Association a couple years ago?

06-Jan-16
Stinker posting about Shankster. Gotta smile bout that

06-Jan-16
Man...why cant these guys just do it right?

06-Jan-16
Big money = big temptation to bend rules.

Stinker - no offense to your handle (which I think is pretty funny) but "Stinker and Shankster" sounds like either a really sleazy law firm, or a couple of great prison nicknames!

06-Jan-16
Shankster (the name fits him perfectly) is long over do in being charged as he has been screwing hunters over for many years and getting away with it. He has done so with many of my friends so I think it is about time.

06-Jan-16
The thread from crittergetter was a classic on how to pinch these a-holes!

I was thinking about this the other day and wondering whatever happened. Glad to see the chickens have finally come home to roost.

06-Jan-16
There is a thread about a crappy hunt a guy had for dall sheep with these guys on Rokslide. Probably a long time coming for this dude.

06-Jan-16
I think he was recently featured on one of the building Alaska shows. He was building a lodge.

06-Jan-16
Yeah, i bought a Dall sheep hunt at a FNAWS banquet for $6k with Shankster in 09 I think....I posted a lot of it on those other sites....doesn't surprise me he was charged. Nice guy....terrible business man.

06-Jan-16
Beendare and Rock, Correct assessment! Doesn't look like Tom has changed much since I sheep hunted with him back in '97 or whenever it was.

06-Jan-16
He was just on the last season of "Building Alaska" as Jumpman said. Didn't look like he and the contractor got along to well either.

06-Jan-16
1000 man hours + fuel for planes/choppers + violations = hefty fine.

06-Jan-16

Beendare's embedded Photo
You guys will get a kick out of this.

I don't do many guided hunts and when Tom said all gear provided I thought, "Cool" until I saw the worn out tent he provided.

The fly was a torn mess...we repaired it with duct tape and the remnants of a destroyed tent I saw on the flight in someone had just left in the wilderness.

Pic is after we repaired it as it was raining a bit and I didn't have time to fool around taking 'Before' pics.... I had a bit of a hike to recover it. The floor (blue) was mostly still intact- hey it worked.

06-Jan-16

Awesome country that alaska range...but I realized i'm not a sheep hunter....almost tame animals and i didn't dig climbing around on those rocks.

06-Jan-16
I went on a sheep hunt with him in '98 and it was a total FUBAR. Kurt: I was in Tom's super cup heading back to Wasilla when he stopped at the TP West airstrip to tell you that he wasn't going to get you into the hunting camp. The tent that we had wasn't as nice as the one in the above post. We basically had no guide for 5 days and ended up caribou hunting on our own. Most disorganized thing that I have ever been involved in. I did end up getting half of my money back.

06-Jan-16
All of you guy's that have hunted with him should contact the Alaska Fish and Game and tell them your stories as maybe it will help or add to their case on him.

06-Jan-16
Hey I think my handle is perfectly fitting. I usually come home 'skunked'!

06-Jan-16
Jim,

I remember you and your MIssouri friend well, as well as the frustration of sitting in Wasillla waiting (for a week) to get flown in. On a neat note, I saw your Colorado, stalk, shot and subsequent recovery of your ram about 12 or 13 yrs ago! Great job! I was helping glass for a buddy.

07-Jan-16
Kurt, it was August 20 through September 1 of 1998 when we had our "experience" with the Shankster. If we could have done a thread on Bowsite about that hunt, I wonder how many other heartaches could have been prevented! Yeah, the frustrations of sitting around wasting hunting days was bad, but what I will always remember was not eating anything but blueberries for almost three days at the end.

07-Jan-16
"1000 man hours + fuel for planes/choppers + violations = hefty fine."

That's what I was thinkin'... These investigations are so expensive that the fines ought to cover the costs!

07-Jan-16
Bowonly.........I try not to remember the whole thing, as it was FUBAR as JimS says about his hunt the week before! You are exaggerating as we did split one granola bar between three of us one of those days! Kurt

07-Jan-16

bowonly's embedded Photo
bowonly's embedded Photo
At the risk of my handle on Bowsite, I have to admit I shot this caribou with the guide's rifle just so we could have something to eat. I don't think you bought a caribou tag, so I was the logical guy to do the deed. This photo was taken shortly before the plane showed up. Do these guys look hungry?

07-Jan-16
I understand some will cry like a baby for what I'm about to add to this thread but whatever. Did anyone look critically at exactly what the charges were and exactly how much the State of Alaska spent to get a case against this guy? Am I the only one that thinks maybe they could have scaled back the operation a little and went after other offenders?

My question is, how many violations does a guide have to get before Alaska just pulls his guide license? This just seems like an egregious use of Tax dollars to me. Why not pursue other offenders after you have enough evidence to get this guy to court?

"The scope of this investigation was substantial, requiring extensive asset usage, including both fixed-wing and helicopter, and involved intensive man-power (nearly 1,000 hours) from nine Alaska Wildlife Troopers. At least 41 separate witness and/or suspect interviews were conducted for the investigation."Stinker

So Alaska spent $40k to investigate for a $5k fine? What a crime. Not the meat waster the GOVERNMENT! If this criminal escapes punishment they should fire the whole bunch of Government workers that worked on this case. Mike

07-Jan-16
I wouldn't defend this guys actions, as it sounds like he had something coming, but yeah Mike I agree with the ludicrous amount of time and money that was really (wasted) all for a menial reason.

According to the text, this guy wasn't out poaching Dall's, grizzlies, and moose left and right. He let some or all meat from a few caribou and moose go to "waste". 1000 man-hours is needed for these types of actions, really?

07-Jan-16
If you guys haven't read the thread about this on onyourownadventures.com, grab a cup of coffee and do so. This Shankster guy is a real piece of work, his lack of professionalism and the amount of meat he wasted will make you sick, and he probably has done it a lot more than we'll ever know.

07-Jan-16
Florida Mike X100

07-Jan-16
You get your house or business broken into and $10-20,000 of personal possessions stolen.... police make out a report. No man hunt, no 1000 man hours to catch them, much less planes and helicopters. Maybe an hour to make out the report. Email them a list of things stolen. Have a nice day.....

Now, if you have an expired safety sticker or registration on your car.... THAT'S a big deal.

Waste of some meat, which in some cases means you didn't take out the rib cage whole. Taking antlers out before all meat is out.... I have to agree with Mike.

My guess is he has rubbed more than a few people the wrong way, a jerk, runs a terrible business with awful service, etc. Likely wicked off the wrong folks and they turned the crosshairs on him.

But hey, they got Al Capone on tax evasion ....

07-Jan-16
Don't forget about the sentinel effect of this and the importance of that can't have a dollar value assigned to it. Word gets around on this stuff in the guiding communities and the next time one of them thinks twice about doing something like this because Shankster got caught.

07-Jan-16
This guy has had this coming for a long time. I was hunting in 2013 when he was using his plane to push sheep to hunters in the field. He goes back and buzzes the back bowls near where we were about to go hunt and then we hear shots 10-15 minutes later where he was flying. The next day, the same plane that was back near where the shots were fired (closest landing/camping spot) and is hauling hunters out. We called this in and have a pic but no video proof.

I almost bid on his donated hunt at FNAWS in 2013 but was talked-out of it by a couple of sheep guides (both have become good friends and I will see them at Dallas SCI tomorrow). There is so much bad press out there on this guy now. Back a couple of years ago while researching for my sheep hunt, it looked like it was a clean operation. I am glad to see this happen as I know of other horror stories of his clients that have never been told. One of these is a guy who got a B&C moose and a sheep and still wouldn't recommend him!

07-Jan-16
Well no offense...but Florida Mike is wayyyyyy off base on this one and should maybe read that thread so he knows what he is talking about.

It is very difficult to catch these outfitters. Tom had a main camp that is 40 min in a small plane from the smallest of towns. How are you going to watch this guy without him knowing what is going on?

The case against Shankster doesn't reflect how he has promised and not fulfilled his contractual promises..... to at least 6 of the guys in the camp I was at.....over booked with not enough guides. I don't know how many more over the years. I guess hunters don't like to complain that they were screwed.

The fact he was nabbed on a few technicalities does reflect how bad he has screwed his hunters. I think its the same throughout our judicial system, drug dealers pleading sentences down to possession [then Obama says too many in prison for possession- arg] but its what they can prove without a doubt to force a quick sentence without a trial.

07-Jan-16
I haven't read the other link so I won't comment on whether this guy is good or bad. That's what the courts are for. But I will say this. In 18 years guiding in AK. (not for this outfit) and several hundred clients I've guided, I can count on ONE hand the number of guys that showed up prepared to take their meat back with them. It is a huge problem when 20-40 clients every season all say they want to donate their meat. Even after they are all told to make arrangements to ship their meat back. It's not the outfitters responsibity to take care of your meat back in town. It's his responsibility to get it out of the field for you. Looking at the indictment, looks like this outfitter may not have stepped up to that part of the deal, which is why he is being charged.

07-Jan-16
I read the whole other post, clients would shoot moose, sheep and caribou and be told the packer would bring it out, the whole carcass would still be there weeks later! No attempt made to retrieve meat was made.

07-Jan-16
Compare the investigation cost with the amount charged for one time slot, say two sheep hunters or four moose hunters, now multiply times several time slots times several camps times decades and you get a much larger number than forty k.

07-Jan-16
Mike, in the AK back country, nothing is cheep.

Laws without enforcement are worthless.

It's definitely the case that some DFGs can be guilty of vigilantism, not seeing the forest for the trees, and not seeing a difference between the spirit of the law and the letter of the law, but these things have to happen these ways or the resource would be plundered.

Besides, this guy really sounds like a D-Bag. If this stuff all ends up being true, then I'm fine with the state putting forth the money and effort to take him down.

07-Jan-16
I killed a Dall in 2001 with Shankster. The meat was frozen and ready to take home. When I got ready to leave I found out that the meat was gone. He said that he took it to Wasilla and that he would get it to me before I flew out. Ya right. I called him 4 times and finally gave up getting the meat. I'm sure that he enjoyed eating my sheep meat.

I sat in camp by myself for 4 days. When it came time to hunt for a moose he gave me a guide that didn't know the area and didn't know how to be nice to a client. He was noisy and walked real fast. He couldn't find his way out of the area without a compass. I'm still pissed about that hunt. Also, he made the comment that he would hire high school kids to come in and pack the meat out. The meat would have spoiled before that ever happened.

07-Jan-16
I get that nobody wants to read that other long link.....the rest of the story; When I flew in to his main camp there were appx 7 guys there and one guide. It happens right? But in his camps it happens every year! Of course tom uses the std excuses; guys quit, weathers bad and cannot fly, etc....until you realize....he over books every stinking year and says the same thing to many of the hunters.

I really don't know how he gets away with it. Its a pattern of swindling that YES! the state of Alaska should spend the $$$ to go after this guy.

07-Jan-16
I have read the whole thread from crittergetter and this guy deserves everything the law can hang on him. Crittergetter did everything right, documented everything, and the douchenozzle had the audacity to chime in on the thread. He even had a few minions chime in in his defense. But they had no evidence to back up their words. CG has it laid out with pics.

Law enforcement is not a business. This guy wasted the game resources of Alaska as well as screwed hunters for XX years. What is that worth?

Diligence in criminal cases ensure justice is served. If LE didn't put in the time and the guy gets off because of all avenues weren't pursued, now that would be a waste.

07-Jan-16
Z Barebow's post is spot on. Are we going to decide who we pursue and prosecute based on how much it might cost? Many of the people who booked hunts with Shankster likely spent money on what would be a once in a lifetime hunt. It's not something everyone can afford. Those people are owed an appropriate response from the state of Alaska so that others are not victimized.

08-Jan-16
I agree with Z. Law enforcement isn't a business. If it takes a lot of money and hours to take a shithead out of the pool, great. Book 'em Dano.

I have no sympathy for the guy. There is a pattern of behavior here that obviously warranted attention.

Good for the AK Troopers for putting the wood to this clown.

08-Jan-16
One more reason to get a complete client list prior to hiring a guide/outfitter for a hunt...and ask all the right questions!

08-Jan-16
I don't know why you guys keep comparing this guy to a douche{bag|nozzle}? At least the douche has a valuable use and leaves a portion of the population feeling clean - unlike this douchebag.

08-Jan-16
Jims x 2. Also, I believe that there is a process for filing a complaint with AFG. This is why if you have a bad deal with an outfitter, you should file a report - to save your fellow compadres from getting hosed in the future. I think that I saw that one of his hunts is being raffled off at the sheep show?

08-Jan-16
Tom, That has been deleted. It may still show up in some listing but will not be sold

08-Jan-16
Amen, Z!

08-Jan-16
Well I warned my FNAWS buddy that Shankster was bad for FNAWS....

and as far as I know he made sure Shankster didn't get anymore FNAWS money....that was here on the west coast in 2010.

Like i said in that thread.....it really wasn't that bad for me.....i can deal with a crummy tent and a guide that had never guided or worked for Tom before. I've got some extra padding...so when we ran low on food...it was probably a good thing.

08-Jan-16
Some of the members spouting off about a waste of money, etc., really need to delve into what this bozo has been doing routinely for years and how many people he has screwed in not providing the service they paid for or the meat that he let go to waste before making the statements you've made!

08-Jan-16
Guides should be held to the highest of standards, and if found guilty should be striped of their guides license permanetly! If they have done it once chances are they've done it before so no more guiding. Fines and take their equipment. Make an example of one and just maybe the others will toe the line.

08-Jan-16
I'm not sure if you are aware but there are a couple outfitters in the lower 48 that hunters should keep an eye out for! One has had numerous dealings with the law and still has his license...and guides in several Western states?

09-Jan-16
I have had some experience with these sorts of things! From a couple of angles.

I have guided in AK for about 40 years. Too, I held a seat on the AK Guide Board for many years. I have seen a lot of violators answering to a lot of charges.

In my opinion, other than the behavior of the guides themselves, the SINGLE MOST COMMON REASON that unscrupulous guides continue to operate is that the mistreated hunters fail to notify the authorities about how poorly they were treated.

Maybe there is a tendency to not want to admit that they got snookered? Or maybe they do not want to take the time and trouble. Maybe they are just grateful to get out alive! But the fact that they don't report their bad hunts is exactly why the bad acting guides get to stay in business.

If you have a bad (guided) experience in Alaska (same thing with Transporters,) don't call F&G! They have no control over guides. Call the Alaska Division of Occupational Licensing (Big Game Commercial Services Board.) Lodge a formal complaint. You will be doing yourself and a bunch of other potential clients a BIG favor.

Pete Master Guide #79 (retired)

24-Jan-16
Looks like he has a donation at Grand Slam Ovis:

http://www.501auctions.com/slamquest/item/52056

25-Jan-16
Sometimes those 'donated hunts' are bought and paid for by another donor...as mine was at FNAWS. Its hard to say whether Tom is out any money on this.

and no doubt the winner will get special treatment as I did...over his other clients.

25-Jan-16
I met and became very close friends with Jay because of a shoddy outfitter in Ohio. Jay was diagnosed with cancer and the guide wouldnt refund his money.

26-Jan-16
Pete, you mean there were 78 master guides before you? Hell I figured you were number 3 or 4??? lol

michael

27-Jan-16
Shankster.....I thought this was just another nickname that Pigman gave his dad. :)

10-Jan-18
Shankster has sold his outfitting business to Dillinger River Outfitters, as of Jan 1 2018.

10-Jan-18
And the hits just keep coming. Good thing he sold the business, he'll need the money for lawyers and fines. I like that Alaska doesn't mess around with game violators, stick'em when you can. I think some of the crimes have jail time too.

10-Jan-18
Have never seen what the outcome was from all the charges and it has been 2 years. Someone told me that he got out of all of them somehow, but I do not know if that is true. Does anyone know what happened with this case???

10-Jan-18
I saw Shankster on that Building Alaska show. He brought in a contractor to build him a lodge in exchange for a moose hunt. The contractor built a BEAUTIFUL lodge.... and when it was done Shankster reamed him out and told him right on camera how unhappy he was with the work... Shankster really came off as a duesh bag......

10-Jan-18
Yes, he sold it but he's staying on for another 3 years as the purchaser gets his guide licenses in order. Word is that one of the Jack Link's guys is bankrolling the deal, per a friend in AK. Tom will be at Sheep Show, so that'll be interesting to watch the interactions from a distance.

10-Jan-18
Beendare I read your thread about this hunt when you first posted it on the other site. I thought it was well written and you handled it better than many, myself included, would have.

10-Jan-18
Beendare said: "...and no doubt the winner will get special treatment as I did...over his other clients. "

Experienced this first hand. Will never go with another outfitter who is interested in marketing their services with auctioned hunts or having TV shows there at the same time. No matter what the outfitter says, average Joe will not get the same treatment.

10-Jan-18
#79 said it best ....I mentioned something about crappy service from an outfitter on this site and kinda got the red @$$ treatment,don't complain don't B*&^% is what I felt I got from folks here,, you got to hunt and you got a moose whats to complain about right ....wrong....I was just trying to convey my experience with that guide and warn folks of how he operates ...not long after my trip he was in court with a TV host MikeC

11-Jan-18
Amazing fortitude shown by CG and Harold. I'm impressed with the relentless pursuit, happy for the hunting success, and saddened by the waste of resource. A good swift kick in the balls would be too kind for this "outfitter"

11-Jan-18
Florida Mike,

One thing to keep in mind is that ADFG can seize any assets used in the crime. Its very likely Shankster will lose his airplane (valued in the six figures) and other equipment to offset the costs.

12-Jan-18
What BigBear said... 'I saw Shankster on that Building Alaska show. He brought in a contractor to build him a lodge in exchange for a moose hunt. The contractor built a BEAUTIFUL lodge.... and when it was done Shankster reamed him out and told him right on camera how unhappy he was with the work... Shankster really came off as a duesh bag...... ' The show is running on UK TV...when I saw that the builds weren't only holiday homes, and included hunting lodges, I paid more attention and started watching When I saw the fallout over Tom Shankster's build, I did wonder whether he had the same attitude to hunting clients. Just goes to show...

12-Jan-18
Hopefully he will start a scouting service, then we will hear how he did his time and learned his lesson

12-Jan-18
As I recall, Tom owned a tannery in Colorado.....Does he still?

12-Jan-18
I felt bad for the guy that built his lodge... because Shankster still owed him a moose hunt for building the lodge..... I wonder how that went....

24-May-18

The truth's embedded Photo
The miracle that shouldn't have happened.
The truth's embedded Photo
The miracle that shouldn't have happened.
I hunted with shister 2 time, way over booked & 2 guides. 1st time was 23 days in camp with wife, he took me out to spike camp 3 days got small black bear. He promised me if I came back in fall grizzly no problem. Came back had 14 hunters in camp and 2 booking agents 1 guide. 12 day hunt sent 3 days in field. Killed a 66" moose but got chewed out because booking agent was with me and he was supposed to shoot first, no one told me. Tom also got tired of me sitting in middle of camp and everyone asking when I was going hunting so he gave me a foxpro and sent me out away from camp for 2 days, l was breaking the law if I shot a bear and that's what I was there for. And the guy that helped build his hotel/ lodge died of cancer last year. Tom Shankster is a flat out crook, just try him and see, and he ain't no nice guy.

24-May-18
The only possible way outfitters like that can stay in business is because so many hunters are simply too ignorant, lazy, or careless in doing their research. Or don’t do any research all just fall for some sales pitch.

26-May-18
This thread is back from the dead. ...

26-May-18
Anyone know the final result?

08-Jun-18
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crime-courts/2018/06/08/colorado-hunting-guide-accused-of-wasting-meat-fined-35000/

08-Jun-18
What's the difference between a guide and a master guide?

If you're a master guide and a bear baiter are you a masterbearbaiter?

08-Jun-18
APauls- I think he also guides fisherman. So he is a Masterbaiter.

08-Jun-18
I didn't read all this but when you book with a guy named "Shankster"........................

08-Jun-18
when you book with a guy named Shankster......prepare to be masterbaited!!!

18-Jul-19
License revoked April 2, 2019!

19-Jul-19
There is an appeal process before the Alaska Big Game Commercial Services Board.......... this is not over yet.

Pete

19-Jul-19
Dang! Back in 2007 i was deployed in Iraq and contacted him about sheep hunting. He offered a discounted trip basically at cost. A few months later I tried to get ahold of him about the deposit. He never replied.

• Sitka Gear