bow_dude 08-Apr-16
bow_dude 08-Apr-16
ScottTigert 08-Apr-16
moosehunter 09-Apr-16
bow_dude 10-Apr-16
ScottTigert 10-Apr-16
ELKMAN 10-Apr-16
15-Jan-16
I'm looking for a Go Pro Camera or other that some may have used & would recommend? I want to film a few elk encounters with the camera on my ball cap. Is there anything specific that I need that I have not considered? Thanks!

ElkNut1

16-Jan-16
I have a go pro hero 3 and have never been happy with it . I hate the fact that you can not zoom in at all . I used it to film a bear hunt and mounted it on my bow but the bear was 20 yards when i shot it even in slow motion you couldn't see very good at all . It is more of a action camera for sky diving and stuff like that in my opinion

16-Jan-16
When will they ever make a head mounted, or bow mounted camera with a zoom? OR, if it is out there, please tell me!!!! thanks

16-Jan-16

Yellowjacket's Link
I have no experience with these but check out this one.

16-Jan-16
I disagree on the GoPro footage. I didn't have any experience with one and then I took my brother to hunt over my dogs in Nodak this year and the footage he got with the head mount was truly incredible. There was a tight, medium, wide, and ultra wide angle option and he used medium the whole trip. Looking at the footage I thought that anything within about 40-50 yards was great, and the quality of the footage was INSANE. Get the GoPro-4 Silver. JMHO

16-Jan-16
ELKMAN, thanks! Could you hear if you were talking or would it pick up the dogs barking? Curious if it would pick up a bugle from the bull? Thanks.

ElkNut1

16-Jan-16
I was also thinking about getting some type of easy mount camera to attach on my bow. Looked at the Tactacam.

16-Jan-16

Dyjack's Link
I usually attach my Gopro to my bow at the riser. I think I'm going to switch to a head strap this year. Attached to your bow has the slight shake from recoil except maybe on your stabilizer. And I have a bad habit of not holding my bow up to film everything. The link is my elk footage from last year. I believe i use a gopro hero 3 silver or something like that. The new ones are much fancier.

I'd say the biggest downside is it makes everything look farther than it actually is. The shot in that video is 28-30 yards. Big wide angle.

You can zoom in the gopro studio editing software, but it doesn't come out as high quality as I'd like. I've tested it with rabbits to see if there was any angle I could actually get the rabbit to be visible in the shot, but past 20 yards you can't see the critter.

Remember with the headstrap to put the camera aiming over your off eye, so when you aim and draw the camera will point In the right direction.

Sound wise it should be able to record just about every sound. I tape my casing with camo tape, so it muffles the sound quite a bit.

With that all said. Id recommend getting one of the new 4k cameras. They have a high enough speed that you can slow down the video and actually see your arrow. I'd recommend lighted knocks for arrow path video. It makes a huge difference in seeing the flight path. A legitimate video camera from canon would be a good option as well. Just harder to set up on your head.

16-Jan-16
The GoPro's 3Black and newer(4 & Session) all have choices for Field of View I believe. I can run mine from my phone with the GoPro App, and can adjust from Wide->Medium->Narrow. The narrow setting is very similar to any hand held camera's FOV. Can also adjust all other settings from phone, see a preview of the area in "view", or take pics.

The real problem IMO is that nobody has figured out how to compensate for "shock" at the arrow release, so bow mounted video is never very good no matter what camera.

The video's will be shaky Elknut, if you are moving, but if stationary the quality is great, and the audio isn't bad if used without the clear case around the cam. I've found it hard to get much usable footage when mounted to the head/hat, just never aligns with your sight or the bow. If you are right handed you can move the camera a little to the left side of your brim for the shot, but then when approaching or walking it is off center obviously. Maybe others have ideas on how to compensate for this?

Here are a few Turkey vids if you want to watch...GoPro on other side of decoy's. These aren't uploaded in HD but the raw footage is in that format if I ever want to use it.

P.S. I miss a lot.

16-Jan-16

CO Elkaholic's Link
I started using a GoPro and found that not having a zoom made it limiting. I bought a small HD video camera with 60x zoom and wifi so I can control it with my IPhone. I also use the Solvid system and it works pretty well. The GoPro works good for close ups but anything out farther than 40 yards is pretty small. I'm finding that it's hard to self film.

16-Jan-16
I have a GoPro Hero that I've used for quite a few years. In the waterproof case there is practically 0 audio. If you use the case with open slits audio is ok. I haven't used it much for hunting because (as noted above) it is super tough to see much detail of critters past around 40 yards. I practiced with it shooting at my outdoor shooting range to figure out how it looked placed on my head, chest mount, etc. I learned a lot of does and don't at the range. I actually haven't been very excited about the results. Something similar to turkey or bear video where they are at point-blank range may be ok but I'd likely pick something else for elk.

I have a small waterproof camera Panasonic Lumix TS3 that I mount in similar spots that has WAY better video, audio, and zooms that I use a lot for both hunting and fishing. I have even gotten great underwater footage while fishing.

I also bought a pretty decent camcorder off Ebay that zooms in a bunch that I use for scouting and hunting. It's really nice being able to take video while scouting....bring it home and view it for sizing up/judging animals and remembering fine details about the country and animals. There is no way you could do that with a GoPro.

16-Jan-16
Thanks for your thoughts & comments! I agree that it's tough to beat a camcorder of sorts but was looking for something small & easy to use while hunting alone!

Scoot, I talked with Cory & he was using the Contour camera & now is using a Go Pro for smaller stuff. He too mentioned the over the shoulder cameras give the best all around results, thanks!

sitO, good stuff there! I enjoyed the ones I watched, the footage looks decent. I bet some of the newer units on High Resolution really look great! I'm looking into the one ELKMAN mentioned the hardest at this time, thanks a ton guys for taking the time to respond, it's very much appreciated!

ElkNut1

16-Jan-16

Purdue's Link
I have a JVC adixxion. I like it because it is waterproof without putting it inside another box. It also has a screen right on the camera so you don't need to take it to another computer to view what you just shot. I mount it on the bill of a baseball cap. For the money it's hard to beat.

16-Jan-16

CO Elkaholic's Link
I have the Hero 3 Black.. With the Solvid system, I use a Pansonic HC-V270 that actually has a 90 power zoom I got from Amazon for around $225. As stated by others, the audio with the GoPro when you use waterproof back door mutes it a lot. I think finding a camera with a external audio jack would help but it helps Pansonic isn't t bad.

17-Jan-16
Sito, Those are really great turkey videos! Close ups sure are cool! I'd like to try setting up something similar with my GoPro this spring. It seems like the turkeys could care less about your GoPro. Have you ever had them startle by it? I wonder if turkeys would mind putting a GoPro on a tripod so it's a little higher off the ground? Your videos are great and thanks for sharing them!

17-Jan-16

snapcrackpop's Link
Sony ActionCams have image stabilization. My cam was attached to the bow walking into the stand. Watch how much the bow moves (thats the image stabilization working).

They also have great low-light sensors and can be controlled by wifi from a tablet or smartphone app. At the 5 minute mark I use the action cam for a replay slow mo shot at 26 yards. (Spoiler alert: gut shot but recovered). Some of the photos at the end were also taken with the ActionCam.

17-Jan-16
Chad, footage looked good. How far was the barrel from your stand? What model is your Sonycam?

ElkNut1

17-Jan-16

sitO's Link
Jims, they've never even looked at it...seems odd huh? I have used a small tripod, or in a tree, or in deadfall. I've used a trail camera post as well, threads match right up(see link), so it was 3-4' off the ground...they don't care.

Thanks, and have a great season!

17-Jan-16
Elknut1 I used an AS-30 ActionCam & Sony's HandyCam for that video. The "far" looking shot in slow-mo was the AS-30. The bear was 26 yards.

Both models use the same battery, which is nice.

17-Jan-16
Thank you sir! I will look into the Sony units. I'm sure there is one out there that will fit my needs! (grin)

ElkNut1

17-Jan-16
If you are curious about side by side comparisons and features of several mini camcorders you may want to do a search on Youtube. I just looked and there are a bunch of them.

18-Jan-16

Greg Kush's Link
If you drag the embedded video to about the 1:10 mark, you will see some pretty cool turkey footage I got last spring with a tom absolutely charging the decoys. Make sure it is playing in HD mode for best quality by clicking on the little "gear" icon at the bottom of the youtube frame and selecting 1080HD mode. I am hiding with a recurve in the cedars in the background just above the breeding hen decoy's head. You can see the bow move a bit before I take the shot.

We got our GoPro a couple of years ago. It is the Hero 3+ Black Edition. I use the medium setting--if you use the wide angle setting, things seem too far away as mentioned earlier. Also, the audio is quite good if you use the case that is not the waterproof one--just listen to the singing birds during the clip.

I took an old arrow and put an insert in both ends so I could put a field tip in one end for sticking into the ground and also mount the camera to the other end. That's how I got the footage above. (I also used the GoPro in the early clips of the video where I was practicing with the Compton "Pass-Around" Bear Kodiak when it first arrived, but I just had it stuck into the top of the target with a long golf tee.)

photo image.jpg1_zpspng0w6op.jpg

18-Jan-16
No gopro is worth a darn for filming hunts. Buy a small good quality Sony camcorder and mount it too your bow for filming. Or buy a mount for the tree you are in, far better quality and the ability to zoom is a must. Shawn

18-Jan-16
I have a Go Pro Hero 3+ and a Sony FDR 1000 X. The Sony is the better of the two camera's for picture quality. Compactness, the GO Pro wins. Accessories, the Go Pro wins, although you can purchase an $8 adapter for the Sony which will allow you to use the Sony with the GO Pro accessories, so that makes them equal. Cost of the two camera's is similar. Picture quality, sharpness and color saturation is hands down Sony. Sony also has a stabilization built into the camera, a huge plus. Both have a phone app to remotely run the camera's. Sony has a wrist mount, that although small, works well and the battery life is outstanding. The Sony is water resistant so you can use the camera outside the case in damp weather. Another big plus. The Go Pro water proof case is good up to a depth of about 120 feet, the Sony is good up to 30 feet, although you can purchase an optional case that allows much deeper depth. Since purchasing my Sony, my Go Pro has become my backup. Another product to look at is the SJ4000, a Go Pro knock off. It sells for less than $100 and looks just like a Go Pro. I have not compared the picture quality, but imagine it is as good. My vote for the best camera goes to the Sony. If anyone ever comes up with a zoom ability, then they will have the cats meow. Peau Products builds after market lenses for both cameras which will allows different fixed magnifications. You can also get lenses that eliminate the "Fish Eye" look. (less field of view). The Go Pro has more lens settings so it is more versatile than the Sony. I shoot my Go Pro setup on the Narrow setting. I get best magnification on this setting. For what it was worth, now you have my 2 cents.

19-Jan-16

QQ Archery's Link
Hi folks ,last fall i picked up a new Go Pro with the remote. good camera but a pain to have to pair it every time you charged it or down loading video.There maybe a adjustment so not having to but it ran the battery down pairing it up hours earlier before needed ,found the camera worked best right off the stabalizer ,nothing to block the view,hope it helps

19-Jan-16
Number one tip for using a Gopro to film hunts is to be as close as possible to whatever you're filming. Gives you a little more incentive to close more distance! Haha

19-Jan-16
I always keep tabs on the action camera scene, but until they produce one with zoom - I'm out. I've looked at the Solvid stuff, but I would imagine it would have really taken off if it was good. Just doesn't seem like there are that many adopters. Am I wrong? Maybe Ralph has some more input on that? Is it as good as it looks?

I just have a Sony handycam, so no phone app. It'd be basically a guess and check scenario.

19-Jan-16
The new Sony AS50 that is due out in March will have a 3X zoom, according to the ads. I'm think it's just a digital, not optical zoom.

19-Jan-16
Digital zooms just crop and enlarge. Can't you just do that with the software?

19-Jan-16

AwHunt73's Link
I use the Contour 2+ has GPS capabilities and bluetooth connectivity. Also I don't have a giant square on the side of my head.

19-Jan-16
"Digital zooms just crop and enlarge. Can't you just do that with the software?" Thus the "just digital.

"Also I don't have a giant square on the side of my head." No, but you would have a giant, ah "stick" on the side of your head.

LOL

21-Jan-16
tactacam is a better way to go!

21-Jan-16
did you check out the Spypoint HD,,I like mine alot and the animals dont look 400yds away when viewing footage MikeC

24-Jan-16
I haven't tried bowhunting with mine yet, but I mounted it to my helmet and it takes pretty good video from there. Facebook kills the quality when you upload it, the raw footage is much better.

https://www.facebook.com/tonylacourse/videos/10101905533133422/?l=5002961802267617651

08-Apr-16
Any new input?

08-Apr-16
Sony has a new AS50 that came out in Feb. It is a step down from their top of the line 1000, but has some features that makes me want to change. Water proof case that will go down to 160 ft, picture stabilization, a 3X digital zoom, a remote that will turn on and off the camera, can switch from wide angle to narrow from the remote, . The remote (LVR 3) has a huge battery life. One poster said 17 hrs+. Go Pro is maybe 1.5 hrs. Color saturation is superb, not white washed like Go Pro. I practically gave away my Go Pro Hero 3+ to my daughter because it just sat in the case in the closet after purchasing the Sony. Sorry Go Pro fans, been there, done that, and until Go Pro catches up to Sony, I will not consider another.

08-Apr-16
Forgot to add, the new AS50 is a 12 mega pixel camera, does not shoot video in 4K but will shoot stills in 4K. I purchased an after market lens from Peau Productions that will fit both the Sony and Go Pro. It is a 2x zoom and gets rid of the fish eye look (flat lens). With the new zoom that sony has, and combined with the 2X lens recently purchase, I expect I will get a 5X zoom out of it. I expect the FDR X 1000 V, which I currently own will upgrade and incorporate the same new features as the AS50 has. I am anxiously waiting, so I will be upgrading when the changes occur.

08-Apr-16
Go Pro might be great for some things?? But filming hunts with it SUCKS. The animal that is 30 yards away "looks" like it's at 60 or more. I've had one mounted to my stand, head and bow. All angles SUCK. I filmed a black bear hunt with one mounted to my head. My bow completely blocked the arrow hitting the bear. My feeder was at 34 yards and you can't see the arrow hit the animal at all. I bought a Tactacam. It is great. It has a 3x lens and one button operation. It threads into the stabilizer mount on you bow. Much cheaper than Go Pro. Far BETTER Scott

09-Apr-16
Does the Tactacam have an iPhone app to control it as well?

10-Apr-16
I have been experimenting with my action camera to see where the best place to mount it is. On the bow stabilizer is good until you shoot. Then the bow jumps and you miss everything. You have to remember to keep the bow up and follow the critter after the shot. I have mounted it to the side of my head (left side) and that seems to work pretty well. I placed it on my hip but I get too much "swagger" when walking. I also placed it on my chest, but it grabs the bow string. I want to use mine for stalking and when sitting in a tree stand. When the new Sony comes out so I can turn it on and off with the remote, then placing it just above ground level on a fixed mount might be just the ticket when sitting in a tree stand. Head mount when stalking is going to be the best in that situation.

10-Apr-16
The tactacam does not have an I-Phone control One push button operation. Yes, you have to hold your bow still. Can't let it fall or you will miss the impact. It works great. Look it up on the website Scott

10-Apr-16
Elknut- The trick on the Audio was to drill a little hole in the case in the exact spot where the microphone is located.(top front) Obviously no longer waterproof but the pheasants don't live under water and neither do Elk or Javis! The sound was VERY good after that little tweak. You can also get the open frame style mount that leaves the mic. wide open but also leaves your GP unprotected. I wasn't comfortable with that option, and I can always pick up another waterproof case if I decide to go snorkeling... ;-)

• Sitka Gear