drycreek 27-Dec-17
t-roy 29-Dec-17
drycreek 29-Dec-17
Scrappy 30-Dec-17
Scrappy 30-Dec-17
Alexis Desjardins 06-Jan-18
Alexis Desjardins 13-Jan-18
18-Sep-17
OK, wanted to document the season just for the fun of it.

Started the KS season off last week hunting Tuesday and Thursday morning, before work. Waited on almost legal shooting time to hang my LW stand and 3 sticks as I had not done so since hunting in Canada this past May. Sorry, but I only tie off before stepping from the top stick onto the stand, which I just started doing last year. Previous to my shingles outbreak which caused some hearing loss in my right ear, my balance had me over-confident and I would only harness-up after being on the stand. I am taking the advice here to heart.

On Tuesday I saw 9 deer, all antlerless, nothing closer than 30 yards. Too much brush for an ethical shot. On Thursday, only saw 1 deer, a 3 year old 130ish 10 pointer. Too early for that, but was close enough. Also had 5 toms strut in front of me for 20 minutes, vying for dominance. One hen went by later, all by herself which was unusual.

This place is in zone 19 in KS, high population-called the urban zone. This is my 18th year hunting there. I will not be able to hunt as much this year due to new responsibilities at work. Thursday's stand went up in the dark, and I was not any slower than last year. At 58, I am happy with that. I have to take my stand up and down with each hunt, but would do it anyway so the deer do not pattern me.

18-Sep-17
Hunted my MO farm Friday evening, Saturday morning and evening. It was extremely hot and dry on the farm, also a little breezy. Deer are not using the plots, but hammering the mast in both persimmons and acorns. No shot opportunities.

Stan, my bear hunting friend came from IL to hunt and help with some minor hunting preparations for the rest of the season. We had .2" of rain as we were leaving Sunday, and it is supposed to rain more there today. Deer numbers are not high typically during the early season as I am mostly upland. The deer will use the lowlands adjacent to the crops along the nearby creek during the hot dry periods.

Will try and update this at least weekly.

18-Sep-17

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Thought I should post the "boot shot" from Tuesday. LOL.

18-Sep-17

Going out tomorrow. I have been a little behind. Just received my new straps and replaced all of them on my sticks and stand. I do this annually and the cables every two years.

18-Sep-17
Good luck hope u get some meat in the freezer.

19-Sep-17
Thank you Alexis, appreciate the good thoughts!

Coming to you semi-live this AM. Don't expect to see anything. At least 70 out with dense fog. The high humidity means there is not a dry spot on me after hanging my stand.

Near the river where mast is falling. Can hear it in the dark. Did not hear any deer blow as I was coming in. We will see.

19-Sep-17

A bachelor group of four bucks, the two biggest in the creek tickling antlers.

19-Sep-17

19-Sep-17
You replace your straps that often!? Wow! Mine are original from 10 years ago. I probably need to look into replacements. I'm seeing some fraying for sure. Good luck this year!

19-Sep-17
Thanks.12 yards, I hang quite a few times each year, so they get abused. I read it here once that it is a good idea to do it yearly. It may be over kill but it brings peace of mind. Thanks again.

8 anterless just crossed the river to my side. I am on the wrong trail.

19-Sep-17
Big doe down!

The others are standing around blowing. The bucks crossed over to see what was going on. They were led by last Thursday's 10 pointer. Still too early.

19-Sep-17

Ugly mug, but beautiful bow. Assuming the doe is down where I saw her fall, this is the first kill with this bow.

19-Sep-17
Congratulations! Meat is Meat is Meat... Yummy:)

19-Sep-17

Thanks.

Thank you Lord!

40 yards max from stand.

19-Sep-17

On the way to the processor.

19-Sep-17
Cool!!

19-Sep-17
Question about your climbing sticks. How many sections do you carry and how heavy are they? How high up do you get with them? Brand? Edit - read you carry 3 sections (saw that on the first read, but slipped my mind). Still interested in the other questions.

19-Sep-17
Thanks 12 yards.

Bigfoot, I will use 4 in the late season due to lack of cover, but reading the thread with cutting branches and creating a "nest" I think I will stay with 3 from now on. Getting older, and taking less risks I guess!

I do use Lone Wolf sticks. The stand is actually an Extreme Outdoors Products which is a perfect knock-off of the Lone Wolf. My understanding is EAP's owner was previously at LW, but I am not 100% certain of that. I have 2 LW's at the farm, but the seat on this is so much better, and after back surgery 2 years ago I do try and use things that are gentler on my lower lumbar. Getting to be a wimp also I guess, LOL.

My height with three is about 13' but I do not spread them more than the step distance already set on each stick, and my stand is at the exact height of the top step so I am not putting excessive pressure loading it when I step onto the stand.

Regarding the weight, I am not sure actually, but they are mostly aluminum, like the stand. It really is very light. Again, I am 58 and if I can do it anybody can. Hope that answers everything.

Best wishes to you!

19-Sep-17
Nice job Frank...solid hunting,,

20-Sep-17
Good job Frank. Our season opens the 30th. I'm hoping for some cooler weather for it as it's in the 90s here afternoons and the humidity is through the roof ! Can't get in the game when it's that hot.

20-Sep-17
Thanks Savage and drycreek.

I am not going out tomorrow because it is expected to hit 90. A cool front comes next Tuesday, supposedly. Good luck this season.

20-Sep-17
Good deal. Way to go, love me some fresh backstrap! And read like it was a heck of a morning on stand even without the harvest!

20-Sep-17
Well, actually I have to fess up. A week or so ago we had a few days of mornings in the high fifties, and I just had to go and sit one morning. Due to shoulder problems last year, I never pointed an arrow at anything, so I'm beyond ready. Long story short, had a pig encounter and my heart went to beating like it hasn't in years ! I skipped an arrow off his back and it went into orbit ! I think I peaked..........

20-Sep-17
Congrats on your doe, Frank!

You are correct that XOP is run by the former owner of Lone Wolf. Where do you get your replacement straps?

20-Sep-17
I hope I don't have a shot go bad, but will tell it like it happens. Thanks for the honesty!

T-roy, I just order them from LW each time. Kind of expensive at $10 each.

20-Sep-17
Stick, yes it was a fantastic morning. The worst part was the high humidity and wearing glasses, but fortunately the deer did not show up until after I cooled down. I considered it a successful morning before I picked up my bow in reaction to one of the does just walking over unexpectedly. Thanks.

21-Sep-17
Just saw this Frank, good stuff...keep knocking them down!

24-Sep-17
Went to the farm Saturday morning because I had a load of rock delivered. I sat in my new Maverick blind used for turkey hunting. It sits on the edge of timber adjacent to my clover field. Turkeys were within 50 yards in the timber eating acorns. Saw 1 forkie, and then left as it was very, very warm.

I put up one of my extra LWs at our home. You might have seen the coyote pictures on my Micro Habitat thread. Maybe I will get lucky. I did put a safety line up as I intend to leave it up all season.

24-Sep-17
Frank. Opening this again I noticed you wearing that old school Walmart camo. I wish I could still get that ! I have a few shirts, but they're getting kinda raggedy.....

24-Sep-17
Nice Job on the Doe! Here in Indiana waiting on Oct 1st but that's OK because its been HOT the last week. Looks like we got cooler temps coming though. Until then I'll live vicariously through you fellas who are out getting it done.

24-Sep-17
Nimrod, it has been record setting hot here!

Drycreek, still use those old shirts. I don't think the deer mind, lol.

26-Sep-17
Semi-live Tuesday morning. Back in KS. Hung in a very steady rain. All wet before legal shooting time. Don't mind since it is only 66 out! A deer was on the path I was walking in on. Did not want to get out of their bed. Did not blow. I am only 40 yards where that occurred. Rain is expected to end at 8.

26-Sep-17
Rained very hard! Slowing down now. Nothing moving yet, no surprise. Could not have seen it anyway!

26-Sep-17
A doe and fawn walked by at 40. No visible spots.

26-Sep-17
Back on the ground. Thoroughly soaked. Headed home to dry everything out.

26-Sep-17
On the way out observed 7 more deer, all out in the open. Rain had quit but wind picked up and the leaves we're dropping water like crazy. I think the deer were trying to dry off.

Also found a fresh rub that is in the same spot every year. First one.

29-Sep-17

Stan came again, getting in stand early afternoon. Took this mature doe from a tripod nestled against the woods adjacent to the clover on my farm. 15 yard shot, 40 yard recovery. I made it in time to help drag it out of the edge thick stuff, and take pictures.

No better feeling when a good friend who helped work your land takes a deer!

30-Sep-17

49 degrees when I hung the stand this AM. Slow so far, one raccoon and heard some turkeys off a ways and that is it. Mast every where, so they are not moving much.

03-Oct-17
Tuesday morning. Back in KS. Hung in one of my favorite trees. At least a dozen deer, three coyotes, and one bobcat came from this location through the years. Perfect for a southern wind, which was the forecast. Turning already to the SE which makes this less of an ideal choice. Saw one deer and a raccoon on the way in. Supposed to turn colder and rain tomorrow.

03-Oct-17

A rub right in front of my stand. Squirrels every where. I am in a steep draw that faces E-W. I am about 1/3 of the way down just off a bench that is a travel lane. Mast falling all around.

03-Oct-17

Another rub on the other side of my stand. I have observed big bucks take does into this area during the rut, but have only taken does from this stand. I will hang again here in November.

03-Oct-17
Two more raccoons and that is it so far. Will hang a little longer but it looks like I called this wrong.

03-Oct-17

Spike right under the stand.

03-Oct-17
Second spike feeding nearby.

03-Oct-17

03-Oct-17
Keep it coming Frank!

07-Oct-17
Thanks Steve.

Hunted MO farm today. Saw zilch. Only hunted the afternoon in a ground blind due to 15-20 mph winds. Calmed down considerably after dark so I will hang a stand in the morning.

09-Oct-17
Did not hunt Sunday after all. Just did not feel it. Spent half the day doing chores I had put off, and by then it was dry enough to broadcast the rye into the yellowed beans.

10-Oct-17
Wow!

I am hanging my stand in the dark. I estimate no more than 30 yards away a vicious attack erupts. Loud, deep snarling and biting, sounds like a larger body hits the ground and is rolling around with biting occurring on top.

I already hung my stand and was on the ground putting my safety vest on. It was completely dark but I loaded an arrow. Really got my pulse elevated! I will check it out when I get down.

10-Oct-17
Cold front with rain moved through last night. Gusty, swirling winds. No movement yet.

10-Oct-17
Keep it rolling Frank! So..what was the snarling/biting? coons?

Mark

10-Oct-17

Not sure yet Mark. Still in a tree. This just came by at 12 yards.

10-Oct-17
Very Coool, keep it coming... And Good Luck!

10-Oct-17
Thank you.

Sorry for the delay. I thought I was going to have some action. Saw 5 more deer, anterless and a flock of hen turkeys and then 6 toms came by. No go on any of it, distance and/or brush.

Could find no trace of what made the noise. The volume would have suggested a bigger animal than coon, but I am not sure. Made it a fun morning. Probably the quickest I have climbed into stand in awhile, lol.

12-Oct-17
Just climbed in. Location adjusted for my observations on Tuesday. Wind slightly different than forecast. Hope it is not a problem.

12-Oct-17

Small doe down 15 yards from stand.

12-Oct-17
GOOOOOOD EATIN RIGHT THERE!!!

12-Oct-17
It will be for sure.

I let my bow down, and start to hear grunting. 6 does/fawns run right under the stand just missing my bow. Never saw the buck.

13-Oct-17
Back at the farm Friday evening. Stan is here.

This is nuts...hung a stand at 5pm and it is 85 degrees out. Supposed to be a cold wet front move through tomorrow with a high of 59 on Sunday.

13-Oct-17

Stan made another perfect shot.

13-Oct-17
Good work Stan, congrats on a nice buck...and good job on the doe Frank...keep it comin!

13-Oct-17

Thanks Kyle.

13-Oct-17
The killing just never stops ! LOL. Good thread Frank. Good to see some venison hitting the ground. All I've stuck so far are stinking hogs. They are killing me here !

14-Oct-17
Thank you.

Back in stand Saturday morning. Spitting rain, windy.

Stan stayed in bed. Very happy. Took that nice buck out of the same stand he did the doe. They are really using the clover.

I hung in thick timber. Bean and corn cutting is in full gear so I hope that will help push them to me.

I saw no deer yesterday but had turkey fly up to roost within 100 yards.

Could not be more excited for Stan. He is proof good things happen to good people.

14-Oct-17
Nothing seen in the AM.

Hung in another location for evening. Turks we're coming to roost when the sky's opened with heavy rain and severe lightening an hour before end time.

17-Oct-17
Tuesday morning. 45 degrees. Already observed 10 deer.

5 does with a shooter in tow coming right to me. Coyotes changed their course. Here comes a lone doe.

17-Oct-17
I have seen over 20 deer so far. Young bucks are checking the bedding areas out and does are running crazy.

17-Oct-17
Out, nothing but immense fun today.

19-Oct-17
Thursday morning. Just finished hanging and climbed in. Not really happy with my location but given wind direction and wanting to move each hunt to keep it fresh my options are limited.

19-Oct-17
Lone doe before legal shooting time.

19-Oct-17
October lull? Bad choice in location?

About ready to pull my stand. Only saw the one. Not very successful today.

19-Oct-17
Have to have a bad day every now and then. Keep at it, love following along.

I also only hang and hunt. Got to love It when a plan comes together. Gonna be hunting a brand new spot in the morning. Good luck

19-Oct-17
Thank you Scrappy. Good luck on your new spot tomorrow. Stan and I will be back at the farm for the weekend. He is hoping to connect with a turkey now.

19-Oct-17
I had one of those mornings today. Sat from 30 minutes before daylight until 10:30. Total: one red shouldered hawk and two mourning doves. Not even a stinkin hog ! The wind was flipping until about 9:00 though, so I imagine that was the deal breaker.

19-Oct-17
Are the hogs better eating than the venison? There are some hogs in MO, but none in my area.

21-Oct-17
Neither Stan or I saw anything Friday evening. Very windy, and still the same Saturday morning. Good sign but I think the deer, and squirrels, are laying low. Heard several coyotes as we left the cabin to go get in stand. Still beats working!

22-Oct-17
Stayed windy and hot all day. Saw zilch. Cold front moved in over night and brought a much needed 2.2" of rain.

The rye grain broadcasted into the beans germinated with the rain last weekend. This rain should keep it going and provide a great winter food source.

24-Oct-17
This could be crazy. Hung a stand downwind of a major bedding area. As I was pulling in a nice buck almost ran into the side of my vehicle. Then I saw 6 more sets of eyes walking in.

Only problem...17-20 mile an hour winds. Tree is really moving.

24-Oct-17
I know why I never became a bull rider now. Be surprised if I see anything. The gusts are frequently changing directions.

24-Oct-17
Two year old buck pushed a doe with twins towards me, but the wind gave me up.

24-Oct-17
Frank, the hogs are good eating if you can get past the diseases they are known to carry. We can't possibly eat all the hogs we kill though. I cut some of them up like stew meat and fry them for my dog. My best hunting buddy and myself have killed over 20 this year on my place alone. I killed three at one sit Monday a week ago. My son stuck one here at home last night that I'm sure died but we didn't find. You can't imagine how many we have. This year it's just ridiculous !

24-Oct-17
Sounds a little fun actually.

I ended up seeing 15 deer total, but only the four while on stand. The rest was going in and coming out. A long walk!

26-Oct-17
Just climbed in. Bumped 5 on the Walk in. Wind expected to pick up again.

26-Oct-17
Two year old buck is bedded 70 yards from me waiting on the same trail I am on. So far we are both disappointed.

26-Oct-17
Doe with fawn went running by. I waited, nothing came behind them. Out.

28-Oct-17
Drove two plus hours to get to the farm this AM. Locked brakes twice for bucks crossing the road. One very nice.

29 degrees, light NW wind.

28-Oct-17
1 small buck, 3 hen turkeys, 1 raccoon. No shots taken.

It was great feeling cold on stand!

28-Oct-17
Stayed in the same stand for evening hunt. Only had 1 buck, but he was grunting like crazy.

Deer were in the clover when I went to town to eat. I was hunting timber.

31-Oct-17
Back in KS. 27 When I climbed in. Calm.

Used XOP sticks for the first time. Awesome.

Happy Halloween.

31-Oct-17
Good luck, a few more days of this thing they call work and then I'll be free for a few weeks.

31-Oct-17
Thanks Scrappy. GL to you as well.

1 two year old 8 point and a raccoon so far. Also heard two grunts.

31-Oct-17
Doe down. Kept looking behind her but no buck came along.

31-Oct-17
Second doe down.

31-Oct-17
Third doe down.

31-Oct-17

More work getting them out than it was hunting them. Doe on the ATV is a huge alpha I was after. Only 1 KS tag left, an any deer tag.

31-Oct-17

31-Oct-17

Had to show how big this doe is. The others I believe are two year olds.

31-Oct-17
Dang she is a chunk. I wish I would have a taken pic at the butcher shop satuday night. There was three young bucks laying on the floor when I dropped off the doe I shot. She was bigger than all three of them. I didn't have the luxury of a four wheeler though. I don't know why I keep doing things the hard way.

31-Oct-17
No luxury, that is a 2004 model. I really need a new one, but will run that Eiger till it drops.

That is my biggest doe ever, it was really tough getting her on the ATV by myself. Especially after loading the other two first:) Oh, to be young again!

01-Nov-17
Took Robin for a quick dinner to our "rural" Applebee's tonight. On the way home a huge doe comes screaming across the 4 lane highway and slams into my side of our 2007 RAV4. Both doors on the driver's side would not open. 193,000 plus miles, I don't think I will get it fixed. Very foggy tonight, and deer were every where moving before sunset. Probably related to the ones I took yesterday, LOL. Sheriff's deputies just left after taking a report. I called only because I wanted to make sure if the deer died it was not a danger to other motorists.

Sorry about not posting a better accounting of what happened yesterday. It went down so fast. All 3 deer were in shooting range when I took the first one, but I only saw one other doe. I think the lead doe kept looking behind her because of the two other deer following, which I initially did not see, but even after I did see the second one she continued to look behind her. I keep my quiver on a screw in so I can reach right down without looking to reload if necessary. The second deer watched the first tip over and kept looking at her, which gave me a chance to reload without being seen. She stood still for so long I actually posted the first kill because I was convinced a buck would eventually come by after them and so was not at first going to take the second doe. I shot her after waiting long enough and not seeing a buck, and then noticed the third doe's, the huge one, body behind a tree with head hidden but chest area perfectly exposed. No problem reloading again and shooting after she turned quartering away and I could tell it was not a buck. Based on body size I thought for sure she was a buck before I saw her head. The shots were 12, 15 and 18 yards in that order.

I was on the bench in the ravine where I took the second deer of the season and said I would go back one more time. The first doe ran to the top and fell over right where I could drive the RAV with ATV cart to load her. The second died on the bench leaving me a tough, steep 70 yard pull up to the top. The huge doe crashed all the way to the bottom. But, I went down with the ATV and retrieved her after dragging her maybe 70-80 yards. I had to drive about 3/4 mile to be able to get down to her with the ATV.

I did not post more yesterday as I was tired and had to be to work for a meeting, and extremely sore when I woke up this morning. Getting old beats the alternative, but it ain't fun:)

The XOP climbing sticks work great. The LW's will not be used except out of necessity. The longer step pads and more spacing from the tree are ideal for stability as agility declines with age, especially when wearing heavier boots.

I will try to make it out tomorrow. Good wind direction for a set-up using 2 Montana silhouette decoys I like to use at the start of the rut. Down to just a buck tag in KS, so will begin to concentrate on hunting in MO.

02-Nov-17
On stand. No decoys as wind is slightly different than predicted yesterday.

What a change from yesterday. It is 51 out. Saw no movement on the way in versus deer every where yesterday. Will keep you posted.

02-Nov-17
Very still. Historically on this property I have never observed an intense chase phase prior to November 3rd.

02-Nov-17
Borderline shooter buck just walked by. Stopped for my grunt call but would not change direction. 50 yards out, beautiful 8 pointer.

02-Nov-17
Foggy, overcast, calm morning and all I have seen is the one buck and one fawn. Either I chose my spot poorly or it is not on yet.

02-Nov-17

This neck of the woods always has a black squirrel or two every year.

02-Nov-17

Lone doe just came running into the bedding area. Kept looking behind her. Less than 10 yards but no big daddy following.

02-Nov-17
Saw one more lone doe. Pulled stand.

03-Nov-17
Drove the 2 plus hours to the farm tonight. I had does still with their fawns crossing the road in front of me and one doe with a buck right on her behind following. Hope it is good for all of us tomorrow!

04-Nov-17
I have a feeling about tomorrow, keep at'm bud!

04-Nov-17
Headed out right now, 6:59 AM. GL Kyle!

04-Nov-17

Slow this morning. Could not post live as I was in a draw with no reception.

Saw one deer, a small buck that bedded 12 yards from me for an hour. Played cat and mouse with 4 toms, they won.

04-Nov-17
Afternoon hunt...one lone doe coming to me but about 70 yards out she caught my scent and took off.

15 plus turkeys were raking leaves all around me for the last two hours. Roosted close by. No shot opportunity.

07-Nov-17
Might have blown it!

Went to my absolute favorite area for the rut just getting heated up. Time change had me rushing. Picked the wrong tree in the dark. By the time I was situated, I was just pulling up my bow when big daddy started blowing behind me. Still got the heart rate up!

07-Nov-17
Saw a lone deer, big body, cruising through the timber100 yards away. Could not identify.

07-Nov-17

Coyote went by hauling butt. Lone fawn bedded 30 yards away.

07-Nov-17

Just had 4 does of varying sizes walk right under my stand. They are milling around nervously.

07-Nov-17

07-Nov-17

The parade will not stop. Just had another lone doe right under the stand. Where's the buck?

07-Nov-17

Never saw a buck after the first one. The does finally stopped with these two. Awesome morning hunt in KS.

08-Nov-17
great thread! love the pictures

09-Nov-17

Thank you.

Just climbed in. Have two silhouettes out. Hen turkeys talking on the roost within 100 yards. Calm, cold morning. Good luck all!

09-Nov-17
Borderline P&Y coming right to me. Tall, white horned eight. Saw the decoys and blew out of there.

09-Nov-17
Lone doe walking along edge of woods. Occasionally raises tail. Bedded 70 yards away. Nothing following??

09-Nov-17
Looks like your knee deep in deer, good job guys on the ones in the freezer good eats for sure. Thanks for sharing.

09-Nov-17
Frank, Thanks for sharing your hunting with us.jeff

09-Nov-17

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Frank where you at this morning where it's nice and calm. I'm in western iowa and its down right blustery.

My poor decoy almost got molested by a little buck before sunrise and the wind done blew one of his ears off.

09-Nov-17

Thanks men. I am in KS.

Had 2 future stars square off. Not what I am looking for.

09-Nov-17

Started to pull stand and two does with a fawn came right to the decoys. Took this picture through my bow strings.

09-Nov-17
I am on the ground putting my sticks and stand together. Decoys are still up. A shooter comes in to 30 yards. Bow is ten feet away. Lol!

Stay on stand!

09-Nov-17
Ha ha happened to me yesterday, I was on the ground and getting ready to move to the next tree when a doe goes flying by. By the time i realize what was happening I hear the grunt train coming. He was grunting with every leap( I was sure hoping he wasn't a giant) turned out to be a three year old half rack. They both blew by within 10 feet and never even looked at me.

09-Nov-17
Seems like they know when we are my ready.

09-Nov-17
C’mon LW! Get er done:) Hopefully I’ll be in a tree tomorrow afternoon. This work stuff is a pain!!

09-Nov-17
I'm trying BGH! Good luck this weekend.

Scrappy, sounds like you are having a good time! It was a rare calm day here. Good luck and stay as long as you can. Thanks.

09-Nov-17
Well the RAV was not totalled. Slightly less than $4K in damage so it will be repaired. Happy because it is a great vehicle.

Rifle season starts in MO on Saturday. Stan is coming tomorrow afternoon. I will hunt with bow as I really don't need to take anything else. Just fun getting out this time of the year.

Good luck all!

11-Nov-17

Surprisingly no shots taken before legal shooting time. Here is my setup from a ground blind. Already had one unknown standing right next to the blind on my closed window side. Shots are starting to ring out but nothing close.

11-Nov-17

Only saw the one deer this AM. Hung a stand for the afternoon. Still very few shots. Neighbors texting and asking if I am seeing anything. I think lock down is on. We saw 2 big bucks on the way to dinner last night.

11-Nov-17
As I was putting my cell in my pocket an absolute shooter goes by at 40-50 yards. Grunt stopped him temporarily, but kept going.

11-Nov-17
Good to hear about the rav4, I drive a 2010 rav4 sport. I call it my soccer mom in deskise ride. Pulls my little trailer around with all my stuff pretty good. I almost wiped it out on three mule deer in Montana back in September, just pure luck I saw them in time.

Pretty much deer moving here all day. Stay at them.

11-Nov-17
Thanks. Glad you did not collide with those mulie. I like being on stand, it's not a problem for me to sit all day during the rut.

Good luck!

11-Nov-17
Lone long beard walking slowly through the timber.

11-Nov-17

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Ya I should have picked up a turkey tag.

11-Nov-17
They are such neat animals. We can not take them during deer firearms season.

11-Nov-17
Little buck went by.

11-Nov-17
Flock of hens, 2 opossums and that was it.

12-Nov-17
Got a little lazy, in the same stand as last evening. Did not take it down.

We had a 4 hour Misty rain last night. Ground is barely wet. Rifle hunters in the restaurant last night were mostly unsuccessful. Only 2 shots so far this morning. They are probably recovering.

I hear turkeys waking up.

12-Nov-17
It is dead out. No shots since just a couple after fist light. Pat did not see much yesterday. I believe we are in lock down?

12-Nov-17
Done for the day. Saw zero deer.

14-Nov-17
KS, Tuesday morning...53 out, drizzle on and off. Big buck crossed in front of me as I pulled in to park. Season for me is half over by time. Slowest rut I can remember. Spirits still high as I am still able to hunt!

14-Nov-17
Just had a two year old 8 come in. Liked my decoys but caught me putting my grunt tube in my pocket before I saw him.

14-Nov-17

Just passed on this guy. Came in to 7 yards.

14-Nov-17
One lone doe a little bit after the buck, that was it for the day.

16-Nov-17
Finished hanging, just settled in. Calm, 30 degrees. Short hunt as I have a meeting to go to. Had to brake for a buck and a doe on the drive over. I

16-Nov-17

This guy came by early in the season. Twelve yards today, nose to the ground.

16-Nov-17

Does are filtering into the bedding area I near. Small bucks are cruising.

16-Nov-17
4 different small bucks are standing around this bedding area.

16-Nov-17
The spike just chased two fawns out of the bedding area.

16-Nov-17

He has a death wish.

16-Nov-17
Best day in woods this season. Wish I could have stayed longer. Saw on very mature 6 point cruising the bedding area, 8 deer observed today.

16-Nov-17
That's the way it works.

18-Nov-17
Yep.

Back in MO for second weekend of gun season. Rained most of the morning. 18+ winds. I am still bow hunting, sitting in a hay bale blind near the beans/rye plot. Did not start until 12:30. Rain just moved out.

3 deer over 155" have been taken off properties that border ours. 1 bow, 2 rifle. MO does have big deer. I am not expecting much, hope to even just see one in this wind. But, then again it is the rut. GL to all of you still hunting.

18-Nov-17
One unknown walked across plot 200 yards away.

19-Nov-17
Did not update last evening as my neighbor took a very healthy doe. He made a perfect shot but she still ran 80 yards, straight down hill into an area he had TSI. He needed help getting her out as he has back problems.

I only saw the one deer. Writing this as the alarm woke me for my morning hunt. Not real motivated to go as the wind did not die down as much as forecasted. But, cannot kill one in the warm, comfortable cabin;)

Going to hunt a bottom just to get out of the wind. The wind is strong enough that it might at least blow consistently in the same direction.

19-Nov-17
8 point came in to grunting and bleating.

19-Nov-17
Saw one spike, 5 yards, and a lone doe at 70+ yards. She just stood there for more than 30 minutes hardly ever moving. No buck around that I could see.

21-Nov-17
Tuesday morning. Back in KS. Calm. Expect winds to pick up. Deer blowing at me right now. Probably the one I bumped on the way in. No orange on, which is nice.

I think the peak breeding is over. Saw mature bucks cruising yesterday, and does with fawns.

21-Nov-17
Glad to see you've lasted longer than 3 days :)

Best of luck the rest of the fall Frank, you're time will come soon I hope!

21-Nov-17
Get them Frank, I'm trying a new spot this morning. Blew a ton of deer out trying to get in and right when I got to where I wanted to be the whole world exploded. An entire herd of turkeys decided to spook off the roost. Thought my morning was over before it got started.

But it's November and anything can happen. Just before first light all hell broke loose again, this time it must have been a hot doe with a buck parade on her tail. Only one buck came close enough to see through the binoculars and he was grunting non stop the whole time. I hope that sexy doe comes back by cause i think it will be a lonely sit today if not. Wherever she goes all bucks are sure to follow.

Good luck this morning

21-Nov-17
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. Good luck to you Scrappy!

Does are filtering in. All with fawns.

Two respectable bucks checking the area out. I will take one if I can.

21-Nov-17
17 yard quartering away on a white horned buck. Mouth grunted to get him to stop. Shot looked solid.

He traveled 35 yards from my stand, stood still for over a minute. Started doing the side to side sway. Then he bedded right there, but it is too tall to see.

I do not have to work today so I am going to stay in stand for an hour. Knees are shaking, good to be alive!

More does coming.

21-Nov-17
There ya go!!! That's what happens when you hunt the wind! Exciting stuff Frank!

21-Nov-17
Lost track counting at 12. A 150 class is pushing does with fawns all over the place.

21-Nov-17
Thanks Nick. But, I don't have my hands on him yet. Keep good thoughts for me please.

21-Nov-17
Is the 150 class bigger than the one you just shot?

Don't pull a Chris Bracket now :)

I look forward to seeing the pics soon, best of luck with recovery!

21-Nov-17
No, mine is smaller. I think he is dead on his side, if I am actually seeing him. Either way I am tagged out in KS. Thanks.

21-Nov-17
Congrats Frank you definitely put in the time. I want pics.

21-Nov-17
Great deal... pics please

21-Nov-17

Recovered! Definitely not a beast but a very fun hunt!

21-Nov-17
Frank: Nice job. You have had quite a year.

21-Nov-17
Great looking buck! Congrats!

21-Nov-17
Congrats on a great season.

21-Nov-17
Congrats! I've enjoyed following along.

21-Nov-17

Thanks guys, but we are not done yet. I will keep hunting in MO, and will report on that. I appreciate the kind words. It was a very fun morning. I was thinking about a recent thread regarding a hunter losing their dog, and how they had a great hunt that day. We lost our male yellow lab Buddy on April 6th. Most people would swear Buddy was part human. We were best pals and he never like me to go hunting without him. On the mornings I would come back from deer hunting when I let him out from the house, he would quickly greet me and then run down to my truck and trailer with ATV to see if I had a deer. If I did he would always jump onto the trailer and wag his tail with enough energy to run our house:)

I was thinking of him this morning while on my hunt. I said to myself, "Buddy, how come you don't take care of me and deliver a deer?". I am not kidding, but within 5 minutes of that thought I harvested the buck.

Reagan, his full sister, is still alive. Love her, but she is dog only. Cares less about my deer hunting. Days like today, I sure miss the big guy.

22-Nov-17
Back in MO. 22 degrees, 4 mph winds. Rifle season ended yesterday.

Talked with one neighbor as I pulled in last evening. He took his third doe but saw little buck action. Showed me a picture of a rub that happened the night before. 6" cedar was really torn up, so some big guys must still be around but are most likely only nocturnal. Going to give it a shot anyway, punn intended.

22-Nov-17
Nothing moved in perfect condition?????

Out by 11am, headed home to make the stuffing. Happy Thanksgiving all.

24-Nov-17
Back in MO. Hot and very windy. Tough hanging the stand after all of the food yesterday, LOL!

Pulled cards from 7 cameras. At least one nice buck left after rifle season. All activity was nocturnal. I do not expect much.

24-Nov-17
Great deerexcellent story. Well done frank

24-Nov-17
Thanks.

Late season really tests a hunter. It will take real cold weather, and snow probably before I will see much during daylight. It was 74 when I hung today. I had on a tee shirt just to make sure I did not sweat.

Great post Thanksgiving exercise!

25-Nov-17
Sorry to hear about Buddy,,,I love my dogs,,,sounds like you need a new puppy my friend!!!

25-Nov-17
Thank you.

Just finished hanging and climbed in. 42 degrees, 4 mph NNW wind. Had to cut across the clover to hang in a fresh area. 4 sets of eyes in the clover. They are here, just nocturnal. Hope to catch a cruising buck.

25-Nov-17
Two deer slowly walking in timber at least 100 yards away.

25-Nov-17
About ready to get down when a young buck beds 50 yards from me.

25-Nov-17
Out. Three total deer observed. Had to wear orange again as it is the second youth weekend.

Gorgeous morning!

25-Nov-17

Before today's cultivation, very packed.
Before today's cultivation, very packed.
Getting ready for late season.

The 120 acres lays out 3/4 mile N/S and 1/4 mile W/E. 60 acres of mature timber is on the outside with a 3 acre pond. The 60 tillable on the inside includes 10 acres of commercial agriculture the rest in CRP that includes a 7 plus acres long continuous food plot in the middle.

When it gets cold, the deer will congregate along the edges of the timber, which has all been layered. I keep a 12' wide bare ground between the CRP and timber.

I just cultivated the entire burn perimeter after hunting this morning. The most frequently used trails will become quickly evident. The deer have not started to mass up yet as there is some fields not harvested yet. I will post the results as I find the trails and hang stands adjusting for wind direction.

25-Nov-17

After cultivation.
After cultivation.

25-Nov-17
New location, back in the saddle for the evening hunt.

25-Nov-17
Lone doe 100 yards away.

02-Dec-17
Back in MO. 70, but calm. Finished hanging and climbed in at 2:15.

Since tagging out in KS I can only get away on weekends until winter break. Hope it is much colder by then. I know you have missed these updates during the week;)

I did not get here till 1PM. We had our office Christmas party yesterday. I made 25 pounds of venison meatballs! They were a hit of course;) Loved watching my liberal friends enjoy them.

It is very dry here. I will let you know what happens.

02-Dec-17
Nothing but one huge coon right at last light. Heard him coming for a long time. Did not sound like a deer but much heavier and more deliberate than a squirrel. I will hunt the morning, not sure where yet. Depends on if the weather forecast is accurate or not, mainly wind direction and speed. Good night.

03-Dec-17

Got a little lazy this morning. Went to a hay bale blind next to a dried out brassica plot. Have seen turkeys come off the roost and walk by this location a couple of times.

Look at this setting moon.

03-Dec-17
They came off the roost, started putting and went the other direction. Lol!

03-Dec-17
Keep at it, Frank! Persistence!

03-Dec-17
I will be going at it until the season ends, at least that is my intention every year.

Thanks.

03-Dec-17

Surprised this bluebird is still around.

03-Dec-17
I was sitting in the stand about 2-3 weeks ago and I had, no joke, at least 200 bluebirds flitting around in the trees near my stand for at least a minute. I’ve seen up to a dozen or so of them several times in the fall over the years, but nothing like this! The sun was shining and they practically glowed.

03-Dec-17
Robin called me to say she was having severe chest pains. She drove herself to the hospital and I rushed the two hour drive back.

Tests show an enlarged heart, unknown cause. I am here with here, she is still having pains. They are going to admit her. Please send prayers.

03-Dec-17
Wow, Robin is very blest. She was admitted but a heart specialist just happened to be making the rounds.

Not a heart problem. It is either viral pleurisy or early pneumonia. They are discharging her with strong antibiotics. Power of prayer chain!

Heart problems run in her family. Her younger sister just received the worst news this past week with regards to her fight with cancer. We were already an emotional wreck, so thank you Lord for this good news!

Sure puts hunting into perspective.

03-Dec-17
Get better Robin!

03-Dec-17
Prayers sent, Frank!

04-Dec-17
Thanks guys. We are at home. The specialist said she has a slightly enlarged heart. She had a full stress test 8 years ago due to family history and they did not catch anything back then.

But, no blockages or clots were detected, which is really wonderful news.

09-Dec-17
Robin is doing well. Has more tests over the next several weeks but is not restricted from normal activities.

I came to the farm last night. Finally cold, but windy this morning. Decided to do some scouting to decide late season set-ups. Came across a nice buck trolling in the bottoms. Never knew I was there.

Will wait to hunt this evening on a trail coming to the standing beans. Not sure if they are using them. It is terribly dry here.

09-Dec-17
In a bale blind with less than 2 hours. Not quite as windy but will be surprised to see anything before sunset.

My beans are the only standing crops nearby. Worried about the lack of moisture though. Brassica plot has not been touched yet.

Lots of solitude late season. Good for the soul.

09-Dec-17
Owls are hooting very early today. Wanted to share I had a Golden Eagle fly over me near my pond this morning. Less than 75' above me!

09-Dec-17
Just pick this post up. Looks like fun as usual and congrats on the kills. Good eating for sure. Paul

09-Dec-17
Thanks Paul. You are an inspiration to many of us!

No deer observed tonight. On the way in to town to eat, my headlights caught deer in cut corn Fields but not beans.

Will hang a stand in the morning.

09-Dec-17
Frank! This is an awesome series! I didn't know you were doing it. What a season! Glad Robin is OK!!!

I loved reading this and catching up with the details of another phenomenal season by someone who is the most efficient deer slayer I know...not to mention the guy that has taught me the most about hunting. Life has been too busy, we need to catch up in person.

10-Dec-17
Tony, Thank you. You are much too kind! Readers need to go to the KS thread and realize who the real hunter is. You have had a dream season, and it is getting to be a very regular occurrence for you. Congrats again on a couple of giants!

Yes, let's try and get together after the holidays. Maybe if Andy is in town the three of us can grab lunch?

Alarm just went off. It is cold outside. Oh well...

10-Dec-17
Spent three hours on stand. Zilch! You gotta love it.

16-Dec-17
In a blind for the last hour. Rough time at home with Robin's sister deteriorating.

Did find fresh droppings in the bean/rye plot, but does not look like they are hitting it hard yet. Tonight is about observing so I have a better feel on where to start hanging in the timber for this last month. Do not feel I will be hunting much though.

16-Dec-17
Heard deer walking behind me, but they never came out.

21-Dec-17

Let the laughter begin!

I "stalked" one of my hay bale blinds located on the edge of my standing beans/rye grain. I am sure I looked even more foolish than normal.

Hunting this evening and all day tomorrow. Then be back for some cold weather next week.

21-Dec-17
Go get them Frank, I finally get to get back after them in the morning. Good luck.

21-Dec-17
You as well!

21-Dec-17
They are coming to the beans, but too late for me to see through my peep. Going to have to go back in the woods with the right wind.

21-Dec-17
I've enjoyed this. Thanks for taking us along and Merry Christmas!

21-Dec-17
When you use your cow decoy again, can you video it so, I case I buy one, I’m using it properly, Frank? ;-)

Good luck and merry Christmas!

22-Dec-17
Thanks guys, and Merry Christmas to you!

My lab Reagan is here with me. By the time I fed and walked her in the dark it was getting too late to hang a stand so I went to a different blind than last night. Big mistake, I spooked stuff off. I did not take the cow decoy as I thought it was still dark enough to sneak in. Wrong again!

Will hang one this afternoon. Thanks again.

22-Dec-17
Pulled SD cards from 7 cameras. Lots of pictures in the last 2 weeks, scores. Only one day time picture!! It is going to take much colder weather to get some movement in shooting light. Down in the teens a couple days next week. If we could just get some snow...

Late season will make a man out of ya, or you will hear the couch calling-one or the other;)

22-Dec-17
One small 8 point at first lite and 8 doe and fawns here this morning. Gonna be trying something different this afternoon.

I'm gonna try to set my ground blind up in front of a haybale in the middle of an alfalfa field and use my decoy to keep the deer attention so they don't see the blind. Think it will work?

22-Dec-17
It is worth a try. Keep us posted please.

22-Dec-17

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
Will do Frank, either the decoy fools them or the deer will be laughing at us. Good luck

22-Dec-17
Looks natural to me. Good luck to you. Post the results.

Decided it was too windy to hang a stand. Went to my best hay blind bale for just observing where the deer are entering the plots at. This might help for next week?

22-Dec-17

Again, came out too late to see through my peep. 10 years ago I would have had one. I refuse to use lighted pins. Only lights on tonight we're on the bunkhouse.

Merry Christmas everyone!

22-Dec-17
I like your cabin, I'm sleeping in the back seat of my rav4 this weekend.

Well my set up almost worked. The wind died down to nothing and to many deer way to close. Tried to shoot a doe but with twelve deer under forty yards I didn't stand a chance. One heard me trying to draw and away they all went. Oh well try again in the morning.

22-Dec-17
The RAV is perfect for camping out. It lays completely flat. I have a twin air mattress I use with a sleeping bag. Both labs would sleep with me back there. Great memories!

Glad you at least had action. It is great that your plan worked. Must be shooting s Matthews? Hoyts don't make any noise;)

26-Dec-17
Tuesday 2pm. Just arrived at the cabin. Stan is expected around 4pm. Plan is to hunt through Friday morning.

Arrived, it was 12 degrees out, 15 inside the cabin. Have the propane heater and two electrics running full blast.

Not sure what our strategy will be other than hunting the food. About 1" of snow fell yesterday and some flurries today. Forecast is cold, and more cold. Will let you know if anything fun happens.

26-Dec-17
Lone doe eating beets moving towards beans.

26-Dec-17
Three really nice bucks came out plenty early enough. We know where to put Stan tomorrow evening.

27-Dec-17
Down to minus 4 this morning. We decided it would be best to hunt evenings only. ;)

27-Dec-17
We’re supposed to get some well below zero temps here in the next week as well, Frank. Makes the late season even more interesting. Good luck this evening!

27-Dec-17
Thanks Troy. We are in separate blinds for the evening hunt, at opposite ends of the property. If the bucks repeat last night, Stan should put meat on the pole.

My location might produce a coyote, deer chances are slim. Given wind direction and property layout my blind should cause the least interference to Stan, which is our best chance tonight.

It is 7 degrees out, 3 mph East wind. Wearing Cabela's base layer and Instinct coat. Feel nice and warm . Maverick blind.

27-Dec-17
Frank, this is the first time I've checked on this thread in a while. You've been pretty busy ! The only advice I have for you is to watch for bulls when you're using that cow decoy ! :-)

27-Dec-17
Don,

I may have to come down there and help with your hog problem;)

Unbelievably we saw nothing tonight. It went down to zero before sunset so maybe they are conserving energy and not moving? We will give it another go tomorrow.

28-Dec-17

Just finished hanging, 3:15PM. 18 degrees. On a nice trail 250 yards in the timber from my beans. As close as I dare get to the cedar thicket bedding area.

Stan is in a blind on the plot.

28-Dec-17

29-Dec-17

Boot shot. Cabela's 2000 grain, sock liners and thick wool socks but my feet still got a little cold. My hands got chilled a little also but the rest of me was comfy.
Boot shot. Cabela's 2000 grain, sock liners and thick wool socks but my feet still got a little cold. My hands got chilled a little also but the rest of me was comfy.
Left my stand up last night as it was a fresh trail. Back out this AM for two hours. Nothing!

Stan did not hunt. He did see a coyote cut across the farm while standing on the porch.

Right after getting down my neighbor called to say he just had 11 deer eating on his waste beans. My standing beans are only 400 yards away. Go figure?

He is where you will think I am nuts. While in stand last night I heard a short, low blow. This was down wind of me, between me and the food plot. Then a little later I hear a noise I had not heard before. It was a short, but loud bawl/ bleat. Same location I heard the blow-down wind of me but on the above trail. Right at the end of shooting light a deer came from this area and made a wide slow circle back to the bedding area I thought the deer would come from that evening. Again, I may be crazy but the only explanation I can think of for this behavior is this deer was warning the others of danger? It was a unique noise that I was not sure it came from a deer until I saw it. It was close to a bark/bleat at times

29-Dec-17

t-roy's embedded Photo
t-roy's embedded Photo
That coat looks familiar, Frank! We got about 5” of snow today. They’re talking -35 to -40 windchills possible this weekend here.

29-Dec-17
Troy, I think I would just stay by the fire ! Brrrrrr !

30-Dec-17
Troy, You are tougher than I am. Good luck!

30-Dec-17

Scrappy's embedded Photo
Scrappy's embedded Photo
I'm heading in this morning, it's a tad windy here.

Got another doe yesterday morning at 11. The young buck came by at 1145.

30-Dec-17
Congrats Kevin!

30-Dec-17
Got deer everywhere and I'm froze

30-Dec-17
Nice problem to have! Think how much your hands will warm up when field dressing. GL.

05-Jan-18

Arrived at the farm a little before 1. 24 outside, 17 in the cabin. Warmest day so far this week.

Cabin is heating up, about ready to gear up. Will try one of the new boots. Going to a bale blind. Still not seeing heavy trails to the beans and I don't know why.

05-Jan-18

All comfy and warm in my Christmas gifts. Polar fleece coat pants and Alaskan boots all by Cabela's. This hunt is a non-paid test of this outfit I guess.

05-Jan-18
I was comfy, but bored. One lone buck. Walked completely across the beans and munched for maybe ten seconds before going into the woods on the opposite side he came out of. Call me puzzled. Not quitting yet. Back out tomorrow.

06-Jan-18
Pulled the SD cards. Only one day picture in the last two weeks. Many pictures, all from midnight to 3AM.

Deer heads when feeding are all the way down to the ground. It looks like they are browsing the rye and not really hammering the beans?

06-Jan-18
2:45, in a different blind. Near where I saw the one yesterday go in. Buck decoy with half rack 18 yards out.

Starting a warm up trend tonight. Rain expected tomorrow. Very comfortable 25 out right now. One bug, 12-14 mph wind.

06-Jan-18
I guess the deer r gun shy this time of year there moving in the dark, when's your last hunting day till next fall? Had a bunch in my field this morning there not gun shy we didn't take one out this year the family was easy on them look out this fall ,hope we're not as busy. Good luck the rest of your season.

06-Jan-18
Alexis, We close the 15th. Yes, rifle season was very active bordering me. None taken on mine during rifle but we are just 120 acres. They are not getting off their feet until well after dark.

Thanks.

06-Jan-18
Observed nothing other than a majestic Bald Eagle!

Stayed warm. Came home as an ice storm is forecasted for there tomorrow-100%.

Next weekend the season will close. 4 months coming to an end.

13-Jan-18
Thanks for sharing Frank Hope the rest of 2018 goes well for u and your family. Blessings

• Sitka Gear